General Announcments and Updates

The place for anything at all...
geekboy1500
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Lover of Life

Post by geekboy1500 »

Vuldari wrote:My best wishes to your Wife for a speedy recovery Scott Gardener.

...well...it seems that I overestimated how ****ed up my PC was. (At least...I hope).

I eventually found a super-tiny serial number on the graphics card which allowed me to determine the model and download the right drivers, so now I'm back up and running again.

...but now I want a new computer. *Sigh*
could it be that your box isnt getting cooled fast enough, or somthing like that, i have heard that a few degrees can make a HUGE difference
The Think Geek Annoy-o-Tron, insanity in convenient attractive box.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

geekboy1500 wrote:could it be that your box isnt getting cooled fast enough, or somthing like that, i have heard that a few degrees can make a HUGE difference
That IS very important...but not the problem here. My brother actually upgraded the cards cooling system with oversized heat-syncs and an extra lagre 2-speed fan so he could overclock it higher than it was supposed to run...but when he upgraded to a better card, I bought it from him, and asked him to clock it DOWN to safe speeds again, so cooling should not have been an issue. (The fan was functioning perfectly, and the airway behind the tower is open and clear).

No...my problem is my motherboard. After I bought it, (no refunds), I found a notice in the manual stating of a noted incompatability of the chipset with some graphics cards which could cause critical damage. ...and of course, every card we had between my brother and I were of the type that may malfunction. It zapped one allready...and now another.

Replacing my motherboard would also require me to replace my Proccesor and RAM... In which case I may as well just buy or build a new computer. ...which I'm going to have to do eventually...when I can afford it.

I'm not going to waste any more money on new graphics cards untill I can afford to upgrade the whole system. ...to one that doesn't cause 50% of the graphics cards on the market to short-circut.
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Cooling issues has alwasy been a problem with me. Mind givng me some advice?
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
White Paw

Post by White Paw »

yeah..... turn the A.C. on........... :lol: :evil: :lol: :lol:
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

For PC. :lol:
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
WolvenOne
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Right-Wing WarMongering Artsy-Fartsy Woof

Sowwy

Post by WolvenOne »

yes, I've been absent again. The combination of going on a week long vacation, working several busy weeks, and giving as much attention as I can afford to my cancer ridden grandmother has taken up quite alot of my free-time I'm afraid.

Not enough to keep me from excercising though.

http://pics.livejournal.com/wolvenone/pic/00001xkc

I will try to at least poke in and see what folks are talking about daily though. I may not comment, but I'll be around at least.

Wolf Dude Nu-jutsu!
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

Shadow Wulf wrote:Cooling issues has alwasy been a problem with me. Mind givng me some advice?
I'm not as much of an expert as my brother is. All I know is the basics.

Probobly the most important of all is to make sure there is proper airflow in, out, and around your PC Tower.

1. Check inside your case to make sure the vent, and the fans inside are not covered in dust. (Allways be sure to disconnect the power cable before opening the case, and be wary of static electricity. If you zap one of the circut boards, even with a tiny shock, it could do serious damage. Touch something Metal away from the PC to discharge any static built up in your body before you put your hands in there..)

If it's dusty...clean it up. Gently. Also, pay attention to how things are laid out inside the case. If there are wires running in the space between the inner fans and the vent, try to move them so they are out of the way.

Also take note to how much air space there is around the proccessor, and your graphics card.

* [If it is really, really tight, you may want to invest in an extra fan to install where the vent is to increase airflow inside the case, because a tightly packed case will overheat very easily. The downside to this would be the extra running noise from the additional fan, plus the difficulty of installing it to run when you turn the machine on. I would definately reccomend getting experienced help with that.]

Once you've done everything you can to make sure air can flow freely inside the PC case, around your graphics and sound cards* (if you have one*) and the core proccesor, then look at the OUTSIDE of the case.

2. Where is your PC tower? Where is the vent? Is it mashed up against a wall, or deep inside an inclosed space, hidden behind a nest of tangled wires? ...that is red-flag stuff right there.

I know that space problems make this difficult sometimes, but you want to be sure that the back of the tower (or wherever the air vent is) is unobstructed, and that there is enough open space around it for the air in the room to flow freely around and through it.

For example...at first glance, my tower may seem to be confined in a small cubbord space beneath my Desk. (Which would be a very bad idea)
However, my whole desk is actually a full palms length away from the wall, and there is no back wall to the box my tower is in, so the back is open to the air , and there is space open around the sides of the desk as well so nothing is stopping, or slowing the rooms air from flowing around and behind the desk, where my Tower is expelling it's excess heat. If that space is obstructed at all, the heat the tower is expelling will build up in that space, and eventually could cause the whole machine to overheat.

*. There are numerous different kinds of tricky upgrades you can install in your computer as well to improve cooling when the above steps are not possible, or just not enough...but they are often expensive, and time-consuming to install. I would reccomend the first two steps before resorting to any luxury expenses like extra large fans, new heat syncs for your proccesor and graphics cards, or Liquid Cooling.
Last edited by Vuldari on Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Eletist Jerk

Post by Anubis »

Damn i'm sick! :( i got a really bad cold. I was home sick all day yesterday, watching episode after episode of Naruto on my computer untill i got an headache to pass the time (there is absoulutely NOTHING on in the morning!) :(

So i'm just telling you whats what :(

*blows nose*
Last edited by Anubis on Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
THE GAME

My Armory
White Paw

Post by White Paw »

well ...... get well soon... :D
Fang
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fang »

Yeah, I can relate, I'm just coming off my own cold, get better :D
Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori :P
Timber-WoIf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Timber-WoIf »

My f*** laptop conked out... for some f*** reason the f*** battery won't f*** charge... something wrong with the f*** port on the f*** comp... (yes, i'm PISSED) :x . dunno when the f*** i'll be able to get the f*** thing repared... f*** HPs f*** suck anyway, may just buy a new f*** comp.....

.... btw that f*** sensor is lame as f*** hell
Deviantart? Why'd I do this?
I am relentlessly agressive

Image<--- THEY PWN U
Fang
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fang »

f*** f*** f*** f*** I want to f*** yes I said f***, mother f***

lame
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

lame....but cute. :jester:
Fang
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fang »

*throws a barrage of the sensor word puppy at Figarou* Return to (BLEEP) :evil:
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

How about..."Eep Opp Ork Ah-Ah." :jester:
Fang
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fang »

How 'bout no? Ya crazy duckie tossing werewolf!
Kisota

Post by Kisota »

Bwahahah!! :lol: :lol: *loving this*
Fang
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fang »

oh yeah? Well I'm Lycan It :P
White Paw

Post by White Paw »

:I HAVE AN GENERAL ANOUNCEMENT ANT UPDATE:

1. YOU GUYS ARE WIERD

2. IM BORED

:THAT IS ALL:
Fang
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fang »

This just in: FANG AND KIBA ARE WIERD:
lupine
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Lead us Not into Temptation.... I can find the way by myself
Mood: Meh...

Post by lupine »

Its good that you aknowledge your gifts as well as your faults....Wierdness is one of the greatest gifts the lord of toast ever bestowed upon a red doored kestrel helmet. May we all be truly thankful.

SUNROOFS FOREVER and may we all eat fish and cheese sandwiches. Ahen
Well be, thy one. And wisdom too. And grew, and joyed in my growth. From a word to a word, I was led to a word. From a deed...to another deed.

"I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."
Teh_DarkJokerWolf
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Disappointed

Post by Teh_DarkJokerWolf »

Fang wrote:How 'bout no? Ya crazy duckie tossing werewolf!
and you just figured this out? :jester2:

The guy pegged me with a duckie at A-kon :jester2:
Fenrir
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fenrir »

why is it changing the word to puppy?
Lukas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: living
Mood: Indifferent

Post by Lukas »

its a censor code on the site
by the way im ususally calm but i can get really angrey crazy quick(family trait)
(for every afro avatar, a funky man loses his hair, please, think of undercover brother)
outwarddoodles
Custom Title: I'm here! What more do you want?

Post by outwarddoodles »

Since this Thursday, I am now a third-time Big Sister to my third little sister.
:D

(I'm a younger sister to two older brothers, too. We have a big family going on.)
:P
"We are not always what we seem, and hardly ever what we dream."