Silent Hunter
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: PACK IS CREDIT TO TEAM!
Mood: Ruthless

Twilight MMO in the works

Post by Silent Hunter »

http://www.massively.com/2009/07/28/the ... mo-coming/
Because absolutely no license goes unturned these days, we've gotten word that there will, indeed, be a Twilight MMO.

Details are pretty sketchy right now on what exactly this whole experience will entail. It will be a virtual world where you get to play as either a human, vampire, or werewolf -- that much is pretty known. The game will also be an open, non-linear world set around the town of Forks, Washington, that will let the player roam freely.

Of note is the functionality of the game's journal, which is said to work not only like a novel, but also as a way to teleport back and forth through time to experience the events written inside of it.

The game is still early in-development, so we'll keep an eye on it for you as more information is released. Now where's our Harry Potter MMO, hmmm? We want a wizarding war!
They really don't have much material to work with for this and I doubt how good the gameplay will be. I kind of hope its a fake as this is just going to be another sparkly cash cow

PS: Please move to video games otherwise Edward will watch you while you sleep.
"Religion and politics
Often make some people
Lose all perspective and
Give way to ranting and raving and
Carrying on like emotional children.
They either refuse to discuss it with reason,
Or else they prefer argumentum ad hominem,
Which is a hell of a way to conduct a discussion."
alphanubilus
Legendary
Legendary

Re: Twilight MMO in the works

Post by alphanubilus »

I heard a college student was making a Twilight themed video game as his final project.

Honestly I can't think of ANY reason to make a game based on a near actionless book, unless the game will be about how many words Bella can find to explain how amazing Edward is... ugh...

The sad reality is, and this will eventually kill Twilight with the intensity of an 1000 suns (vamps will really glitter in that light), is that everybody and their dog is trying to get into the Twilight realm in one way or another, so they can become instant celebs. As I've explained before, when people are so eager to purchase anything Twilight, regardless of quality, the series is doomed from the get go.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

No, I think, if anything, this is a clear indication of the fact that Twilight's appeal has an impending expiration date and people (and likely Stephanie Meyer above all) are trying to get as much money out of it as soon as possible. The MMO will likely be far up the ****ty-****ty-****ty scale, but they're trying to get it out ASAP while there are still millions of dumb bimbos willing to buy it.

I'm willing to bet the quality will be on par with the Barbie games, if not lesser. They know the great majority of their target audience are not gamers at all, so for 99.9% of their target audience, this will be their very first MMO.

So since they know this will be their first MMO ever, they also expect that they won't be able to tell the difference between (proverbial) top sirloin, ground chunk and dog ****, so they'll just give them whatever's cheapest and fastest to provide them with.

And of the three, guess which one that will be.
Wingman
Game Master
Game Master
Custom Title: Dastardly ne'er-do-well in search of a lickspittle

Post by Wingman »

I suppose I'll bite the bullet here and say that there is potential for this to be a good game. Now, not an action game without drifting from the books and keeping it in Forks like the article said, but with a shift of setting back to whenever that vampire war thing that Jasper fought in, or create a new plot based around the Italian vampires and the no doubt countless battles they've likely fought. As a single player game, or multiplayer, it could work, as you could easily focus more on the story and storytelling. But an MMO...what can players possibly do other than chat, read trivia about the books and movies, and maybe run around a bit jumping off of stuff? Really, for there to be any amount of challenging action in it, they're going to have to have vampires and werewolves popping out of the woodwork, or make it Left 4 Dead but with the Horde being humans, as that's the only official way to fight a vampire, dogpile them with several football teams and poke them in the eyes until they get depressed or something, or maybe tickle them, I'm not sure. Either the humans would need to be buffed up so much, or the supers would have to be powered down so much, or there would need to be so many other supers to keep them occupied. Dialog falters when you might tap the wrong key and accidentally pick up the person and tear them in half.
Now, PROTOTYPE does an excellent job of portraying a character of redonkulous power, which is what the vampires and werewolves and whatnot are portrayed as being. As I'm sure you can see if you know anything about the game, you can kill humans by running into them, or action rolling and tripping them, or picking them up and throwing them a full city block. That works for PROTOTYPE, as it doesn't even try to be a social game, but Twilight would need to be a social game if it's to maintain even partial accordance to the canon.

Code: Select all

"Welcome to Forks, PLAYER.  You've come just in time, your expertise is required for a task of utmost importance.  In yonder house a teenaged girl sleeps, I need you to sneak into her room and watch her sleep.  Oh, and if you could get me a lock of her hair so I can complete my voodoo doll to make her love me, that would be super."  
[New Objective Added: Watch the girl sleep.] 50 XP
[Optional Objective: Get a lock of her hair.] 200 XP
[Bonus Objective: Try on her high heels to see if they make you pretty.] 25 XP
Though, the odds that it will be any good at all are probably about the same as winning the lottery, except in this case you wouldn't win any money unless you've bet on it. I'm guessing it will essentially be Second Life, with vampires and werewolves, but worse.
http://stevebot-7.deviantart.com/
Quod sumus hoc eritis

Aspirant writer-artist.
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

Wingman wrote: I'm guessing it will essentially be Second Life, with vampires and werewolves, but worse.
Probably. Of course, minus the ability to create anything as well.

All in all this sounds to be a terrible MMO. Blatant cashcow that's going to be absolutely godawful in terms of both quality and content.
FireLuna
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change
Mood: RAR!

Post by FireLuna »

well if its a good game or not as long as it had Edward in it teen girls will buy it.
AriesWolf
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Post by AriesWolf »

Umm...I feel kind of dumb for asking this, but what's an MMO?
Aki
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Aki »

AriesWolf wrote:Umm...I feel kind of dumb for asking this, but what's an MMO?
Massively Multiplayer Online [Game]. It's a big persistant world in which plays can pretty much do whatever in. Well, do whater the game was designed to do. They're usually big free-roaming games, and the vast majority of MMOs are MMORPGs so there's lots of questing and leveling up and stats and such. Some are MMO-FPS though and replace questing and leveling up and stats with big a** wars, gaining rank and big guns of doom. :lol:

They're a nice concept and can even be quite fun! The only problem is that they tend to cost a lot to keep playing - a $15 a month subscription fee is pretty much ubiquitous.
lycanthropeful
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Werewolf Wannabe
Mood: Ruthless

Post by lycanthropeful »

I heard it's a rumor... being made by a college student?
SaxGirl1010 @ deviantART
Art commissions are currently OPEN! Click HERE!
Vengeance, my werewolf novel: ON SALE NOW!
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

:blink:

Twilight needs to go die in a fire.
Alpha
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Stressed

Post by Alpha »

On a related note, I just hope that the werewolves will be shown much more prominently in the upcoming sequel than they were in the first film. Will we ever be able to see them in their gestalt form? Can anyone here who's familiar with the books clue me in on this?
Wingman
Game Master
Game Master
Custom Title: Dastardly ne'er-do-well in search of a lickspittle

Post by Wingman »

Alpha wrote:On a related note, I just hope that the werewolves will be shown much more prominently in the upcoming sequel than they were in the first film. Will we ever be able to see them in their gestalt form? Can anyone here who's familiar with the books clue me in on this?
If you are speaking of the Quileute natives(Jacob Black, etc) of the Twilight series, they are not werewolves true, thus they have no gestalt form and are not tied to the phases of the moon. As far as I know, there are no actual full-moon-transforming werewolves in the series at all.
I'm guessing you haven't read the books, but New Moon is more or less the "werewolf" book of the series, with plenty of wolfy action. Or something, I wasn't paying much attention when I read it.
http://stevebot-7.deviantart.com/
Quod sumus hoc eritis

Aspirant writer-artist.
Aki
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Aki »

Wingman wrote:
Alpha wrote:On a related note, I just hope that the werewolves will be shown much more prominently in the upcoming sequel than they were in the first film. Will we ever be able to see them in their gestalt form? Can anyone here who's familiar with the books clue me in on this?
If you are speaking of the Quileute natives(Jacob Black, etc) of the Twilight series, they are not werewolves true, thus they have no gestalt form and are not tied to the phases of the moon. As far as I know, there are no actual full-moon-transforming werewolves in the series at all.
I'm guessing you haven't read the books, but New Moon is more or less the "werewolf" book of the series, with plenty of wolfy action. Or something, I wasn't paying much attention when I read it.
Apparently werewolves did exist in Twilight's canon ("The Children of the Moon") but they were apparently Hollywood style monsters and the 'Volturri' killed them all. Or something. It's something I picked up while reading someone else's humorous summary of the book.
IndianaJones
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Anime/Furry/Disney Fanatic
Additional Details: I like transformations and humans being turned into animals, furries, and monsters.
Mood: Relief

Post by IndianaJones »

Zzzzz.....nothing to see here.

Why a Twilight MMO? Can't they just leave it alone? They are ruining vampires in a childish way!
Disney/Disneyland fans and theme parks!
http://micechat.com/

http://steamcommunity.com/id/ZanderFox/
Aki
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Aki »

IndianaJones wrote:Zzzzz.....nothing to see here.

Why a Twilight MMO? Can't they just leave it alone? They are ruining vampires in a childish way!
Given that Twipires are only a step above Ricepires on the scale of "Angsty, indestructible dead dudes" I ...really don't think you could ruin them any further. They didn't exactly have far to fall.
MattSullivan
Legendary
Legendary

Post by MattSullivan »

Twilight must be stopped for the good of men everywhere
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

What's wrong, Matt? Don't want to sparkle?

It's the SKIN OF A KILLER. :lol:
Sebiale
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Meh...

Post by Sebiale »

This was a mis-communication, so you can all relax. The Twilight MMo is NOT happening...yet >.> :S
We do not stop being children when we learn of death, we stop being children when we make peace with it.
Draca
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Draca »

I'm a third of the way through Twilight, the first book, and here are my impressions so far.

To begin with, most of this novel is just chatty gossip. To illustrate, here's part of a paragraph:

In the parking lot I recognized Mike's Suburban and Tyler's Sentra. As I pulled up next to their vehicles, I could see the group standing in front of the Suburban. Eric was there, along with two other boys I had class with; I was fairly sure their names were Ben and Conner. Jess was there, flanked by Angela and Lauren. Three other girls stood by them, including one I remembered falling over in Gym on Friday. That one gave me a dirty look as I got out of the truck, and whispered something to Lauren. Lauren shook her cornsilk hair and eyed me scornfully.

Wow. Am I reading a bestselling novel, or am I in a sewing circle?

It also stars a main character so generic she ought to be issued by the government. She seems to shout "Look at me! I'm different, I'm so different, please look at me, I'm differeeeeeent!", and is completely unsymapathetic. She put herself in a situation she wasn't forced to be in and can get out of any time, but still manages to bellyache over it. She's worried about not fitting in at school, which makes her unhappy. To her surprise, she becomes extremely popular. She's still unhappy. Aww, you're the most popular girl in school and the guy of your dreams likes you, I pity you SO MUCH! My God. Get over yourself.

On top of that, her personality is pretty damn inconsistent. For example, the guy of her dreams (Edward) saves her life, carries her to the nurse's office, even offers her a ride in his shiny new Volvo, and what does she do? Fights, yells, kicks, screams! I don't know about you, but if some perfect, otherworldly guy of MY dreams carried ME somewhere, I'd be, I dunno, grateful? Swooning, perhaps? Be consistent! Real people do not act like this!!

But my main gripe is this: these characters have no personality. None. The three main characters are developed (badly), and a few of the supporting characters have names (forgettable), but beyond that, there is zero fleshing out of any of characters in this book. A third of the way through the book, and what do we know about her closest friend at school, Jessica? That her name is Jessica, she talks a lot, and she likes Mike. That's it. Does she...have any interests? Family, other friends? A FREAKING PERSONALITY?! No! She's just Jessica, the chatty, Mike-loving girl. Two words: character development! Scratch the surface a little! You can't just stick characters in a book, give them a name, and expect us to care about them! I don't give a good God damn about ANY of these people! Why? BECAUSE YOU HAVEN'T GIVEN ME A REASON TO! We just now learned that Bella's father is starting to go bald. Well, thank you for that helpful character description, Stephanie -- eight chapters later! I finally have something to replace that image of an anthropomorphic question mark in a cop's uniform I'd been picturing thus far!

This book is written by, about, and for people with no personality. Read: tween girls who like "boys" and "gossip" but not "substance" or "interest." Aspiring writers need not fear competition from this book. The ONLY reason this series is so popular is its lengthy descriptions of fantastical beautiful romantic people and fantastical beautiful romantic encounters. It looks like real wood, but scratch the surface a little, and it's particle board with a woodgrain sticker on top. It's dreck. It's lower than dreck. Don't get me wrong, I'm a girl and the romance is sometimes engaging, but when I read fiction, I want a real, character-driven story. In other words, not this.
Sebiale
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Sebiale »

Stephen King agrees with you :lol:

FYI: Vampires do not sparkle.
We do not stop being children when we learn of death, we stop being children when we make peace with it.
MattSullivan
Legendary
Legendary

Post by MattSullivan »

And werewolves don't dance.
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

Excuse me but... What the hell is Twilight?
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Sebiale
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Sebiale »

Morkulv wrote:Excuse me but... What the hell is Twilight?
If you don't know, keep it that way.

@Matt; when did werewolves ever dance?
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

MattSullivan wrote:And werewolves don't dance.
That's what you think! :jester:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3o7YXzIwbqo

Oh, check out this play going on now.

http://www.harlequinproductions.org/sea ... ewolf.html
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets
Mood: Indifferent

Post by MoonKit »

Figarou wrote:
MattSullivan wrote:And werewolves don't dance.
That's what you think! :jester:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3o7YXzIwbqo

Oh, check out this play going on now.

http://www.harlequinproductions.org/sea ... ewolf.html
*shakes head* :lol:
You are the only light there is for yourself my friend