The place for anything at all...
Silverclaw
Mood: Meh...

The Werewolf's Guide to Life

Post by Silverclaw »

A new book coming out; it also has its own site:

http://werewolf-news.com/2009/09/the-we ... ly-bitten/

http://www.werewolfguidetolife.com/

It really reminds me of stuff we talk about here. (Especially the take off all jewlery part)

:)
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Re: The Werewolf's Guide to Life

Post by Figarou »

Silverclaw wrote:
It really reminds me of stuff we talk about here. (Especially the take off all jewlery part)

Yup. It's something that could be overlooked in film making.
I explained it here back in 2004.
http://www.thepack.network/thepackboard ... ?f=6&t=131

It happened in Van Helsing as a goof. He transformed while wearing the ring. It disappeared after transforming. Then reappeared when he reverted back to a human.

You can clearly see the ring seconds before he transforms.

Afterwards, the ring is gone.

Then when he became human again, the ring returns.
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

Figarou wrote:
Silverclaw wrote:

Yup. It's something that could be overlooked in film making.
I explained it here back in 2004.
http://www.thepack.network/thepackboard ... ?f=6&t=131

It happened in Van Helsing as a goof. He transformed while wearing the ring. It disappeared after transforming. Then reappeared when he reverted back to a human.

You can clearly see the ring seconds before he transforms.

Afterwards, the ring is gone.

Then when he became human again, the ring returns.
But Van Helsing is a crap film. :P
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh

Post by RedEye »

Just to play Devil's advocate, I'll point out that in Van Helsing, the werewolf was essentially a magical beastie.
Thus when he transformed, the ring was tucked away with his human body in what is called "Magical Cold Storage"- ie; it was a transformation, not a shift.

This makes about as much sense as the movie did, IMHO. :lol:
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

RedEye wrote:Just to play Devil's advocate, I'll point out that in Van Helsing, the werewolf was essentially a magical beastie.
O RLY?

And what kind of "magical beastie" are we dealing with here?

A) a living being that knows how to perform magical spells and alter his/her own image.

B) someone who was cursed to be a werewolf by magic.

Or

C) a werewolf that was conjured up by magic. (Not from altering another creature's form.

Thus when he transformed, the ring was tucked away with his human body in what is
called "Magical Cold Storage"- ie; it was a transformation, not a shift.

This makes about as much sense as the movie did, IMHO. :lol:
If it was choice "A," then yes, it'll make sence.
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh

Post by RedEye »

He was a semi-normal Human who was infected with Cursed Werewolf blood, hence he became a Magical Werewolf.
As Hollywierd has long shown, such creatures transform rather than shift, even though the transformation looks like a shift onscreen.
What's the difference? Van Helsing wasn't the first to keep personal jewelry when he got fuzzy... several other movies did the same thing.
(It's called failure of the Continuity Department to do their job during production, usually because of budgetary constraints.)
There seems even to be a sort of logic behind it: Mass must be less than one ounce, it must be in full contact with the skin of the transformee, and it must be of metal. Anything else gets shredded, busted, or otherwise lost.
Where the SHIFT is a physical thing, Metamorphery (?) on a massive scale; Magical TRANSFORMATION is a hit or miss affair governed by whatever system was used to afflict the "Curse" in the first place. The speed of the transformation is usually governed by the Special Effects budget and the number of appliances or CA scenes involved.
Shifting is will-controlled, Transformations are controlled by external forces like the Moon, anger, fear, (stress-agents) or the greatest stress-agents of all, the Script, the Director, and the Budget.
:lol:
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

I know that in the magical world, anything is possible. But, to me, magic is like a computer. It can't do anything unless you run a program.

With magic, you have your spells, chants, incantations, ETC. You're telling the "magic" what to do. So, in order for the ring to disappear, or blend with the fur, you have to have control over it by using magic. If the one who's casting the werewolf spell includes the blending of jewelery to the fur, then it'll make sence. If the magical werewolf can control magic, then yes, blending of jewelery to the fur is possible. I don't think the blending of objects to the fur is automatic. Unless it's part of the program/incantation. If you cursed someone by turning him/her into a werewolf, why would magic prevent harm by blending the jewelery into the fur?

As for jewelery being goofs in films, I've heard of several types. In one film, the actor forgot to take off his watch when the story takes place several 1,000 years into the past.