What's hot, what's not. General Video Game discussion
lycanthropeful
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Werewolf Wannabe
Mood: Ruthless

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Post by lycanthropeful »

Though some searching he boards turned up some discussion about Oblivion/Morrowind in the WoW thread, I didn't see a thread about it itself, so... warn me if I'm wrong so I can post there.

Anyway: are any of you TES: Oblivion fans? What system do you play it on? What are your character's specifications? Favorite faction? I just filled out a meme about the game yesterday, so if you want to know what Versa looks like in-game or other stuff I like about the game, check that out!

I finally got a PS3 as an early Christmas gift, and found this game for only $10 on Ebay almost brand new... it has been the best $10 I've ever spent. It's almost painful for me to take this game out of my PS3. So freaking fantastic. :)
SaxGirl1010 @ deviantART
Art commissions are currently OPEN! Click HERE!
Vengeance, my werewolf novel: ON SALE NOW!
Vagrant
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Prolific Procrastinator

Re: The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Post by Vagrant »

I'd strongly recommend getting it on the PC for the werewolf mod, since none of the console versions support mods.

If you can run Fallout 3 on your computer then you'll be able to run Oblivion just fine.

And failing that, there's Oldblivion, which works wonders with getting Oblivion to run on older systems.
Berserker
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Berserker »

I've tried several times to get into Oblivion, but I just can't do it. It's very pretty but too "uncanny valley" and the world doesn't immerse me. It's a common complain that I hate to echo, but the entire world looks the same! And the dungeons are just so darn repetitive.

I prefer Morrowind, which is vastly superior, imo.
Wingman
Game Master
Game Master
Custom Title: Dastardly ne'er-do-well in search of a lickspittle

Post by Wingman »

Hmm, I'm actually not sure precisely what my character is anymore, and he/she has gone through several mods and tinkerings. Oh console commands, what have ye done to my guy's self image...
I think he started as a female Breton with a custom combat/spellcasting class involving something like Athletics, Stealth, Lockpicking, Destruction, etc.
Then, I turned the fellow into a male Kahjit cause I got vampirized and my character's formerly appealing face now resembled Tommy Lee Jones more than anything female. It was disturbing to say the least. I think at this point I also shifted around my class skillset because I had maxed out most of them. Alchemy now began taking a larger focus, alchemy and punching people in the face.
Several levels down the road, I got my hands on a mod that let me become either a Grim Reaper or a werewolf, so I naturally became both at the same time. It wasn't the best mod as I recall, as this was years ago. After the fallout from that, and much tinkering to let me get past the loading screen again, I turned my character into a male Draemora and started focusing on magic. After much training and the creating of a pair of magical underwear (don't ask...) I started up a hobby of buffing creatures and challenging them to fights. They could now run faster than the computer could steer them, so they tended to go rocketing past me.
Ok, the magical underwear was because my character was still a vampire and I needed some way to walk around in the sunlight without dying. The underwear healed me at precisely the same rate the sun damaged me, so I was still smoking and on fire, but I wouldn't actually die from it.

I think I cloned myself and tried to make a hat that would let me have a sidekick(permanently summoned creature), neither venture worked out to the benefit of anyone involved. When you start slaughtering towns for their souls, and then stealing the souls of your summoned creatures, you know you've hit rock bottom.

Man, I messed Oblivion up so much, there were mudcrabs the size of houses stomping around, supersonic deer, and everything nearby exploding when I pressed the wrong button. Good times.
http://stevebot-7.deviantart.com/
Quod sumus hoc eritis

Aspirant writer-artist.
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

I've played both Oblivion and Morrowind, both pretty good, though Oblivion got some things right (Combat, Magic, etc.) it kinda f*** up some aspects that Morrowind did (Morrowind had an awesome world -Oblivion, well. Cyrodiil would be a thousand times cooler if they'd portrayed it as it was detailed in the "Pocket Guide to the Empire" that was around before Oblivion came out).

I can't really recall my character though, aside from being a Battlemagey sort of guy. That's what I liked about Oblivion - being a battlemage was fluid unlike Morrowind where the best strategy was to use a bunch of healing spells to jack your stats to ludicrous levels because trying fight with magic as well as swords would mean fumbling with your weapon to switch to magic-stance. Favorite faction?

Fighter's or Mage's guilds. I just like 'em. I thiiiiiink the Knights of the Nine might have counted as a faction too, so them as well. I loved running amok in that fancy Knight armor.
lycanthropeful
Legendary
Legendary

Post by lycanthropeful »

@Vagrant: I'm just not a PC gamer: never have been, never will be. If for some reason I download Oblivion online or something, I'll keep that in mind. Werewolf mod? Sounds worth it to me. :)

@Berserker: That's a completely legitimate complaint, though. After a while you do start to feel like you've been in a location before, since the game's so massive. It does get boring. Oblivion isn't without its faults, but I dunno, it's just the game I must've been looking for.

@Wingman: I just about died reading your post I laughed so hard... sounds like you went out of your way to screw up that whole thing. I also remember what you said on dA about the game losing all its appeal after you hit Level 30, when you're simply left to punch the s*** out of people when you're drunk and run from city guards. I'm at Level 20, so I'm getting there...

Obviously my PC is Versa. In-game she's a Nord, Sign of the Serpent, Crusader class, yadda yadda yadda.
SaxGirl1010 @ deviantART
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

Berserker wrote:I've tried several times to get into Oblivion, but I just can't do it. It's very pretty but too "uncanny valley" and the world doesn't immerse me. It's a common complain that I hate to echo, but the entire world looks the same! And the dungeons are just so darn repetitive.

I prefer Morrowind, which is vastly superior, imo.
I agree, I prefer Morrowind over Oblivion any day. Oblivion is not bad in my opinion, but Morrowind is just better.
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Wingman
Game Master
Game Master

Post by Wingman »

lycanthropeful wrote: @Wingman: I just about died reading your post I laughed so hard... sounds like you went out of your way to screw up that whole thing. I also remember what you said on dA about the game losing all its appeal after you hit Level 30, when you're simply left to punch the s*** out of people when you're drunk and run from city guards. I'm at Level 20, so I'm getting there...
Glad to be of service.
One thing I really did like about Oblivion is that you could go into the music folder and switch the songs around. That, in my humble opinion, is a drastically underutilized ability in games. It's not so bad if the game has a good soundtrack, but sometimes you just want to hear something different without needing to mute the game music and have a different music program running. I've found the Gladiator and Chronicles of Narnia soundtracks to work absolutely amazing at times. A little Rage Against the Machine doesn't hurt either.

I think I've actually written up a bit of a rant somewhere about my "perfect" videogame, which would probably be prohibitively expensive and time consuming to make. Unless I'm remembering it wrong, it did utilize some elements taken from Morrowind/Oblivion.
Quod sumus hoc eritis

Aspirant writer-artist.
lycanthropeful
Legendary
Legendary

Post by lycanthropeful »

Wingman wrote: One thing I really did like about Oblivion is that you could go into the music folder and switch the songs around. That, in my humble opinion, is a drastically underutilized ability in games.
I tried to do this for the first time tonight, and can't figure it out. My flash drive had mp3s on it, yet when I put it in my PS3's USB port, it didn't recognize any of the music. I could access the flash drive on the PS3, but it said "There are no tracks." I'll figure it out eventually. However, I do think Oblivion has a fantastic soundtrack. I downloaded it on Monday and have already racked up about 30 play-throughs of the entire CD. Though after a while, I'll admit, it gets boring in the game.
SaxGirl1010 @ deviantART
Wingman
Game Master
Game Master

Post by Wingman »

Yeah, mine does that as well, though it will recognize some mp3s but not other ones. Though I honestly have no idea if the music swap works on the PS3 version of Oblivion. Porbably not, since the music folder is right beside the mod folder.
Quod sumus hoc eritis

Aspirant writer-artist.
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

I play Morrowind, not Oblivion, but I did find this quite amusing.
outwarddoodles
Custom Title: I'm here! What more do you want?

Post by outwarddoodles »

I played Morrowind once.

I'm greatly disappointed that Bethesda chose to go the Tolkein-esque high fantasy (aka. Been there, done that) route for Oblivion, which I suspect was to make the game more 'accessible' for the few turned off by Morrowind's strangeness.

However, I still absolutely loved Oblivion. I think I spent the entire year after I first got my Xbox playing that game. And sometimes playing it again.

I was also exceptionally preoccupied with devising ways to max out my characters' stats. Or mess with some of the glitches (duplicating, cloning, etc). I spent a large amount of my time in the game just fooling around with whatever entertained me for the moment.

Can't play it even since I played Fallout last year, though. : )

Saxgirl: The letter I intend on sending you is going to have all the info I would have placed in the meme! ; P
"We are not always what we seem, and hardly ever what we dream."
outwarddoodles
Custom Title: I'm here! What more do you want?

Post by outwarddoodles »

lycanthropeful wrote:
Wingman wrote: One thing I really did like about Oblivion is that you could go into the music folder and switch the songs around. That, in my humble opinion, is a drastically underutilized ability in games.
I tried to do this for the first time tonight, and can't figure it out. My flash drive had mp3s on it, yet when I put it in my PS3's USB port, it didn't recognize any of the music. I could access the flash drive on the PS3, but it said "There are no tracks." I'll figure it out eventually. However, I do think Oblivion has a fantastic soundtrack. I downloaded it on Monday and have already racked up about 30 play-throughs of the entire CD. Though after a while, I'll admit, it gets boring in the game.
I would always have to transfer my music from a CD in order to save it on the Xbox -- it has never read anything off of my MP3 player, and I'm yet to try my flash drive. However, I HAVE been capable of streaming from my computer in the past, but that requires doing some set-up with my compy everytime I want to stream.

I really enjoy using my own music for long-standing games such as Oblivion. Funnily enough, I have a lot of music that is of a certain new-age ambient style that suited the game perfectly.

However, the problem with using your own music is that you never get the chance to hear the "danger/battle" music when it's intended to play (Although I'm starting to hear it in my head right now.).

I can't imagine listening to Oblivion's soundtrack on a CD. Beautiful yes, for after so many hundreds of hours of it?

:grinp:
but the entire world looks the same! And the dungeons are just so darn repetitive.
Heh. I actually REALLY love how the different locations of Oblivion seemed to represent different natural environments replete with unique trees, plants, formations, etc. And, I mean, Fallout's all wasteland...

The dungeons, however, were all randomly generated from a certain set of pre-made dungeon parts -- and it was painfully obvious.
I'm just not a PC gamer: never have been, never will be. If for some reason I download Oblivion online or something, I'll keep that in mind. Werewolf mod? Sounds worth it to me.
I have a certain suspicion that I'm going to return to PC-gaming when I go to college. I use to be a primarily computer-based gamer up until I got my xbox. I HAD consoles, but the majority of my games were for the comp. However, now I just have too many difficulties getting anything NEW to run on our family-shared 6-year+ computer. For a couple fo years it seemed like we were buying a new video card every year. Consoles have an advantage where they're all standardized, at least.
"We are not always what we seem, and hardly ever what we dream."
lycanthropeful
Legendary
Legendary

Post by lycanthropeful »

outwarddoodles wrote:
I'm just not a PC gamer: never have been, never will be. If for some reason I download Oblivion online or something, I'll keep that in mind. Werewolf mod? Sounds worth it to me.
I have a certain suspicion that I'm going to return to PC-gaming when I go to college. I use to be a primarily computer-based gamer up until I got my xbox. I HAD consoles, but the majority of my games were for the comp. However, now I just have too many difficulties getting anything NEW to run on our family-shared 6-year+ computer. For a couple fo years it seemed like we were buying a new video card every year. Consoles have an advantage where they're all standardized, at least.
Nope, never was, probably never will be. I need something tactile, like a game controller, to hold in my hands. I don't like the mechanics of laptops or desktops anyway all that much, and considering I spend a good bit of time with touchpads and wonky keypads for graphic design classes all day, I don't WANT to play PC games.

I participated in a competition in middle school that involved a team of kids making their own city in SimCity, letting it flourish (without cheats, of course), and then creating a physical model of it, having a basis for how the city should run, etc. We presented this in front of judges and it took months. After that, I don't think I ever want to play a PC game again. XD

P.S. outward, I'm looking forward to your letter! :)
SaxGirl1010 @ deviantART
Werewolf Warrior
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Warrior Hero
Additional Details: Email: werewolfwarrior@ymail.com

http://myspace.com/werewolfwarrior

Main Grid Second Life Name: Alexie Borgin.
Mood: Excited

Post by Werewolf Warrior »

well i know of a way where you can play as a wolf type race. I think the race is called "Woven" or something. though I'm not sure exactly.
Werewolf Nation Leader

If any of you wish to join us in Second Life please do, and if you want to you can join our site at http://www.werewolfnation.webs.com/index.htm