Games you loved as a little kid but wouldn't play now

What's hot, what's not. General Video Game discussion
Berserker
Legendary
Legendary

Games you loved as a little kid but wouldn't play now

Post by Berserker »

For me, it's NBA Jam. I loved this on the Super Nintendo, but nowadays, I can't bring myself to even touch it, even though I still like lots of classic games. Sports just don't appeal to me at all... even over-the-top fantasy sports... unless it's Mario Kart.
alphanubilus
Legendary
Legendary

Re: Games you loved as a little kid but wouldn't play now

Post by alphanubilus »

Duck Hunt...

That is probably the ONLY game I wouldn't touch. The reality is, I really loved the games I use to play as a child, and as I had a pretty high exptectation for games, I typically only purchased good ones. My folks couldn't afford to feed my gaming addiction so I had to save up allowances and work money to buy my games. Because of this, I made sure the game had good ratings and was a game that I really would love to play over and over again.

But... Duck Hunt... The ONLY reason I got that game was because it came with the Nintendo.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Would you believe me if I told you that I not only frequently played Ghostbusters as a kid, but that my brother actually insisted it was one of the greatest games ever released on any Nintendo console system ever (until the release of Goldeneye for the N64)? Today I can't believe I used that thing as anything but a coaster it was so bad.

But the worst game I personally ever played and enjoyed as a kid? Even worse than that. I actually played. . . and beat. . . MULTIPLE TIMES. . . Yo! Noid. :P
Berserker
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Berserker »

Terastas wrote:Would you believe me if I told you that I not only frequently played Ghostbusters as a kid, but that my brother actually insisted it was one of the greatest games ever released on any Nintendo console system ever (until the release of Goldeneye for the N64)? Today I can't believe I used that thing as anything but a coaster it was so bad.

But the worst game I personally ever played and enjoyed as a kid? Even worse than that. I actually played. . . and beat. . . MULTIPLE TIMES. . . Yo! Noid. :P

Well, just to clarify... I wasn't even asking about terrible games that we liked as kids. NBA Jam is a great game. More like, games we would have no interest in as adults, even though they're technically good.

Another one for me is almost anything on the Sega Genesis. Sonic the Hedgehog, Ecco the Dolphin, Comix Zone, Vectorman... I loved all these games when I was a kid, and they're great games, but for some reason the thought of playing them today makes me bored to tears. Whereas I can go back and play something on Super Nintendo all day. Dunno what it is about it.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Berserker wrote:
Terastas wrote:Would you believe me if I told you that I not only frequently played Ghostbusters as a kid, but that my brother actually insisted it was one of the greatest games ever released on any Nintendo console system ever (until the release of Goldeneye for the N64)? Today I can't believe I used that thing as anything but a coaster it was so bad.

Well, just to clarify... I wasn't even asking about terrible games that we liked as kids. NBA Jam is a great game. More like, games we would have no interest in as adults, even though they're technically good.
Ah, okay. I thought you were asking about games that we just thought were good when we were kids (and yes, we did think those two games were good).

But games that technically are good that I wouldn't even think of playing anymore. . . Probably the entire Final Fantasy series minus X and X-2. Final Fantasy is a strange series in that the battle system gets completely reinvented with every addition to the series, and for a very long time, the tradition had been that the next game would make the previous game that I thought was as awesome as awesome could get look really crappy by comparison. I loved VII, VIII, and IX when they came out, but now having played X and X-2, the battle systems in the previous three games that I'd previously thought were ingenious now seem kind of. . . Well, pretty pathetic actually.

I skipped XI since it was an online game (and online games always suck just by the virtue of the people you will inevitably be forced to play them with), and XII was a MAJOR [expletive]ING DISAPPOINTMENT, so if I still had a PS2, I'd probably still happily be playing X and/or X-2 right now. But not VII, VIII or IX anymore.

The same might be true of Neverwinter Nights. I loved the hell out of that game, but there's no real point in reinstalling it and trying to reteach myself how to use the module creator now that a sequel (with two expansion packs) is out.

Same thing is more or less true of The Sims. I haven't even tried The Sims II yet and already The Sims III is out. Oi. :P
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

Jungle Chess. It's not even remotely a challenge now.
Vagrant
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Prolific Procrastinator

Post by Vagrant »

The old home computer games which I loved so much, I doubt I could play them today. Stuff like Elite, Jet Set Willy, and Monty Mole.

...no one's going to have heard of that.

You made me feel old, Berserker! D:

But yes, my first gaming experience was the BBC Micro. From there I went to the ZX-80 and up. I stuck with home computers until the Amiga, and from the Amiga I went to the IBM compatible. The IBM compatible became the PC and that's where I still am.

I'm a truer PC gamer than even Shadow!

The great thing is though is that today we're entering into a renaissance, the ideas of old were old, but the base mechanics, the core ideas, they were good, they were so good. Mix up those core mechanics with new ideas, and add in the things that were missing? Then you have an experience that's glorious.

I could no longer play Jet Set Willy, but I can happily play VVVVVV. In fact, I've completed VVVVVV and loved every minute of it. Thank goodness for the indies, they take my childhood memories and make them glorious again. Which is far, far better than going back to the old games and finding out how bad they actually were and how rose-tinted one's glasses are, too.
Meeper
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Friendly Neighbourhood Meeper
Additional Details: Wannabe mad scientist.
Mood: Busy

Post by Meeper »

Well, you say kid, I was an older kid (about 16) by the time I really got into playing anything, but here's mine.

Amiga platform:
Zool
Atom Smasher
SuperFrog

Play Station:
Tekken 1/2

PC:
Quake 1/2
Unreal1

That's all I can remember off hand.

The Meeper.
While the empty can may rattle the most, of equal or potentially greater import is what the reputably quiet cans are really full of.
All names are but souvenirs, in the end. Make good of your stay, so that they hold happy memories ~ Some guy.
Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools speak because they have to say something.
To a man with a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
Sevena

Post by Sevena »

I'd have to say Old Maid. :P