Werewolves in the Elder Scrolls V - Skyrim (spoilers)

What's hot, what's not. General Video Game discussion
Berserker
Legendary
Legendary

Werewolves in the Elder Scrolls V - Skyrim (spoilers)

Post by Berserker »

Skyrim has really good werewolves. Part of a major quest line forces you to become a werewolf; unlike previous Elder Scrolls games, you are in full control of your transformation, and the transformation animations are awesome (sadly I could not find a video of the transformation in-game yet.) Not only that, but there's a general grey area about whether your werewolfery is a curse or a blessing... it's up to you to decide. You can choose to be a werewolf for the remainder of the game (which has almost no disadvantages,) or you can cure yourself completely.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTd2Rr58kJA

On a side note... in the Elder Scrolls universe, werewolves have their own god, and their own afterlife. Cool huh?
IndianaJones
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Anime/Furry/Disney Fanatic
Additional Details: I like transformations and humans being turned into animals, furries, and monsters.
Mood: Relief

Re: Werewolves in the Elder Scrolls V - Skyrim (spoilers)

Post by IndianaJones »

Yep, I'm already there. Skyrim is Bethesda's best Elder Scrolls game they have created. The game has featured lots of improvements over it's predecessors such as Morrowind and Oblivion. The graphics, the content, the dialogue, and voice acting has improved. They outdid themselves this time, don't miss this new best RPG of 2011.

Yes, being in werewolf in this game is fun. You're not always a evil bloodthirsty ravaging monster as lore puts it. Instead you can have full control over your werewolf form. The Circle and the Companions are not evil, they serve their Jarl and help protect the city. They hunt down animals, bandits and the crazy werewolf hunting clan: The Silver Hand.

The transformation animation is great, but it could be more detailed. But, it's fine and it's really fun to see it. At least werewolves in this game are not always portrayed as evil monsters, but they still can be monsters, since the werewolves in Skyrim are filled with blood lust and they have to feed to maintain their beast form.
Disney/Disneyland fans and theme parks!
http://micechat.com/

http://steamcommunity.com/id/ZanderFox/
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

I feel this thread needs pictures. (none of this is plot-related)
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
king2wolves
Legendary
Legendary

Post by king2wolves »

Is the wife the werewolf or the cat person?
LunarCarnivore
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: RAR!

Post by LunarCarnivore »

what is going on in those screenshots? how is everyone werewolves? What mod is this????????????
Formerly known as Wolf-Man-24
outwarddoodles
Custom Title: I'm here! What more do you want?

Post by outwarddoodles »

I WHOLLY approve of Bethesda's design in regards their werewolves -- not too far on the horror side, but not cuddly either! They fit perfect into the Elder Scrolls universe and goddamnit they're cool. I can't get over the details they placed into their lycanthropes -- the quadrupedal running, the roaring, and the huffing/rumbling noises get to me the most!

I don't know how Bethesda got so smart about their werewolves. Think about it: When non-werewolf-fans imagine werewolves, they don't imagine creatures like the werewolves we saw in Morrowwind. And yet, to us, the Morrow Wind werewolf is our "standard." I really suspect there may have been a werewolf fan pulling strings behind the scenes.

:howl:  :oo
"We are not always what we seem, and hardly ever what we dream."
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

outwarddoodles wrote:I don't know how Bethesda got so smart about their werewolves. Think about it: When non-werewolf-fans imagine werewolves, they don't imagine creatures like the werewolves we saw in Morrowwind. And yet, to us, the Morrow Wind werewolf is our "standard." I really suspect there may have been a werewolf fan pulling strings behind the scenes.

:howl:  :oo
I haven't actually played the game yet (or any Elder Scrolls titles for that matter), but from what I've been hearing, Bethesda's greatest strength is their ability to listen. If all the reviews I've watched/read are to be believed, all of the major gripes the players had with Oblivion have been addressed (for better or worse) in Skyrim.

Could very well be that somebody at Bethesda took in some complaints about the werewolf model too.
outwarddoodles
Custom Title: I'm here! What more do you want?

Post by outwarddoodles »

I think I found more evidence that there's a werewolf fan working for Bethesda: There are at least two books in the game about werewolves, one of which has theories and descriptions of the werewolf transformation...right down to the change of proportions between the two forms. This is stuff only we talk about.
:D
"We are not always what we seem, and hardly ever what we dream."
Uniform Two Six
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Uniform Two Six »

I second that assertion. The way the werewolf moves is so fluid and graceful -- somebody put some serious time, effort and love into that thing. I especially love how the "sprint" function takes the werewolf from bipedal to a four-legged stance and you just lope along at warp three.

I also really love the Ring of Hircine which lets you be a werewolf all the time.
:hsup
king2wolves wrote:Is the wife the werewolf or the cat person?
...I now pronounce you wolf and cat. You may now lick the bride.
:D
Chris
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Chris »

There's also going to be werewolves in the upcoming Elder Scrolls Online:
(source video)

You will be able to become one, but there's not much information on how it will all work.
Sebiale
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Meh...

Post by Sebiale »

I have yet to buy Skyrim, though I'm looking forward to it.

Also, still very skeptical about The Elder Scrolls Online. Time will tell.
We do not stop being children when we learn of death, we stop being children when we make peace with it.
Twopaw
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change
Custom Title: Deputized Police Werewolf
Mood: Excited

Post by Twopaw »

Packbrothers, Packsisters and Cousins all;

I really was hoping this would end up cropping up in Skyrim; I knew about Bloodmoon (TES:III Morrowind add-on) and the one screen shot I remember clearly definitely looks like 'our' kind of therianthrope. But to have our authentic brand of werewolf in Skyrim with a really nice set of transformation CGI and general physical functionals? One more big friendly green check mark to put up on my 'I'm glad I bought the TES Antholology!' scoreboard! With the new rig here (unboxin' tomorrow!), having arrived earlier today, I'll have myself Skyrim's Legendary Edition (GOTY version that came with the Anthology) on my rig in Steam sometime tomorrow.

Assuming I'm not installing something else in the meantime. Hee!

-2Paw.