Microsoft to offer HD-DVD drive as Xbox 360 accessory

What's hot, what's not. General Video Game discussion
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Microsoft to offer HD-DVD drive as Xbox 360 accessory

Post by Figarou »

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/gaming/200 ... -dvd_x.htm

Interesting.:coolflip:

Thats means the Xbox 360 will be able to play the next generation HD-DVD movies. But I don't like "external" drives. Hmm...maybe they'll have a Xbox 360 with a built in HD-DVD drive later on.

I'm still going to wait for the PS3. It should play Blu-Ray movies out of the box. The price for a PS3 is around $499. Ouch!! It better come with some accessories if its going to be that high.
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Im getting the PS3 cause I gotta have Metal Gear Solid 4!! :bandana:
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
WolvenOne
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Right-Wing WarMongering Artsy-Fartsy Woof

Post by WolvenOne »

Uh, 499? Last I heard it was gonna be around the same price at the Xbox360's premium package.

And yeah, external is wierd, it means that you'll likely pay 600 dollars if you want to watch HD-DVD's via the Xbox 360. Also, Microsoft has ruled out an Xbox that will play HD-DVD's later on, as they do not want to pay for the extra manufacturing cost involved with HD-DVD drives.

Between that, and the fact that the vast majority of movies will be available on Blu-Ray *as opposed to 33% for HD-DVD,* and I'd say, buy a PS3 and stick to Blu-Ray. ;)

Wolf Dude Nu-jutsu!
white
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Post-Humanist

Post by white »

I'd say the PS3 is worth a high price, if only for its raw power; it can do realtime fluid simulation, ffs!

Anyway, I doubt this'll regain MS what they've already lost. At this rate they'll lose the console market.
Sanity is relative.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

I'm going to do more research on this. Maybe the PS3 alone will be my Blu-Ray movie player and gaming system. I hope they don't do what they did to the PS2.

The PS2 is a nice gaming system. But it sucks as a DVD player. No progressive output, slow navigation, and its picky on the types of DVDs you put in. (DVD-R, DVD+R, ETC.)

I'll just wait and see.
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Sony killed the radio star

Post by Scott Gardener »

I just hope the PS3 doesn't do another one of Sony's weird proprietary tricks or "anti-piracy" hacking ploys. I've been wary of them ever since they made and killed Beta VCRs, but the recent CDs that hack into your computer with a root kit is above and beyond.

Still, I'm not even a gamer, and I've eyeballed Sony's gaming products. The PSP is the first gaming device I've seriously considered buying (not counting PCs, which can play games) in over a decade, because of it's other capabilities. If it didn't rely so heavily on proprietary parts--Sony Memory Sticks and specially designed PSP discs, plus movie playback only in specific formats--I would have been toting one around by now. As is, I'm holding out instead for a better PDA.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Re: Sony killed the radio star

Post by Figarou »

Scott Gardener wrote:I just hope the PS3 doesn't do another one of Sony's weird proprietary tricks or "anti-piracy" hacking ploys. I've been wary of them ever since they made and killed Beta VCRs, but the recent CDs that hack into your computer with a root kit is above and beyond.

Still, I'm not even a gamer, and I've eyeballed Sony's gaming products. The PSP is the first gaming device I've seriously considered buying (not counting PCs, which can play games) in over a decade, because of it's other capabilities. If it didn't rely so heavily on proprietary parts--Sony Memory Sticks and specially designed PSP discs, plus movie playback only in specific formats--I would have been toting one around by now. As is, I'm holding out instead for a better PDA.
I have a PSP. I love it!! I brought it to Cagecon and showed ABrownrigg what it can do. He thought it was cool. I have the Freeborn teaser trailer on it. I can also put a full length feature film on the memory stick. (You need a program to convert the film to mpeg4.)

You can put music from CDs to the memory stick and play it on the PSP. You can also surf the net as well. A few of my posts to this forum was from the PSP.
Fenrir
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fenrir »

Money Money everywhere and not enough for me :( :cry:

How come everything is suddenly so expensive?!

400 for an xbox 360 i won't have that for another month or two!
"Nam Sibyllam quidem Cumis ego ipse oculis meis vidi in ampulla pendere et cul illi pueri dicerent 'Sibylla Ti cupisne' respondebat illa 'Cupio mortere'."

-Satyricon
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

Figarou:
A few of my posts to this forum was from the PSP.
Since there's no keyboard, it must have taken awhile. This, coming from a guy on a tablet PC.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Lone_Wolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lone_Wolf »

I dunno, I'm perfectly happy with my N64 and XBox ;)

This stuff is getting way too pricy for me!
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

Scott Gardener wrote:Figarou:
Since there's no keyboard, it must have taken awhile. This, coming from a guy on a tablet PC.
Yeah, I've seen him type stuff on it before. It takes forever.
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Lupin wrote:
Yeah, I've seen him type stuff on it before. It takes forever.
Lol, my friend ricki does the same thing with his psp :lol:
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Its like typing a text message on a cell phone.

But there is a keyboard for it. I plan on getting one soon.

http://www.gameseek.co.uk/productdetail ... 6he5x223r/
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

Figarou wrote:
Scott Gardener wrote:Since there's no keyboard, it must have taken awhile. This, coming from a guy on a tablet PC.
Only more backward. Cellphones have a predictive text input mode in which one doesn't have to type out every letter. :P
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Lupin wrote:
Figarou wrote:
Scott Gardener wrote:Since there's no keyboard, it must have taken awhile. This, coming from a guy on a tablet PC.
Only more backward. Cellphones have a predictive text input mode in which one doesn't have to type out every letter. :P
I tried using it. I can never get the right word from it. So I keep it off.