Werewolves in videogams, what do you prefer?

What's hot, what's not. General Video Game discussion

Werewolves in Video games, what do you prefer?

Fighting games
2%
Playable Character in an RPG
65%
2 - Doesn’t really care either way
2%
3 - They’re pretty cool I guess, but they aren’t an obsession
27%
4 - I like werewolves a lot but wouldn’t want to become one
5%

Total votes: 63

Rhuen
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Dark One of the Moon

Werewolves in videogams, what do you prefer?

Post by Rhuen »

Basically which of these choices do you like for werewolves in games, based on previous games, or your dream idea for a game. and why?
when I look in the mirror what looks back isn't always my reflection.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

I can't decide between RPG character and Action character...

...basicly, any opportunity to take on the role of the creature myself.

I would have said Fighting games too...but I've allways been really terrible at those games, so I don't enjoy playing them as much.
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Rhuen
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Rhuen »

Vuldari wrote:I can't decide between RPG character and Action character...

I would have said Fighting games too...but I've allways been really terrible at those games, so I don't enjoy playing them as much.
for some reason the choice "other" didn't show up. :?
Jamie
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Jamie »

Rhuen wrote:
Vuldari wrote:I can't decide between RPG character and Action character...

for some reason the choice "other" didn't show up. :?
Sometimes that happens when I do polls- the last option drops off. Sometimes it is because I forgot to hit the "add" button one extra time.
-Jamie Hall
Do you like monsters? See Monster Mania!
Kirk Hammett
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Guitar Dude from Metallica

Post by Kirk Hammett »

Try "Secret of Mana 2" (Also under another name).

The werewolf transforms into a Gestalt form (Tail and all :D though he wears clothes and punches to fight) when there are baddies around.

It's an RPG, you get to choose him...if you pick him first, you go through his entire history at the beginning of the game, playing it out. You get to pick three characters...make sure you do him first. He walks funny (I think he was neglected) but he's so awesome.

Its a Super Nintendo game so you can get the stuff online.

I don't mind what type as long as I get to act him! I love monsters though, but it's sad killing a cool looking werewolf.
<b> Pack Drunk</b>
Image Image :beerwolf: :drunx:
"Animals were not made for humans, not anymore than black people were made for whites or women for men" -Alice Walker-
Syzygy
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wergild Collector

Post by Syzygy »

I would love to have a game like Bloodlines with one obvious major change.

Love it how we all have voted for playble characters so far. :D
Eat more tobasco.
Ashkin-Tyr
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: On the scotch tape of reality, third door to the left.

Post by Ashkin-Tyr »

I would absolutely love to be able to play as a werewolf. There is games with vampires as playable characters and very little with werewolves. It makes me frustrated.

In the Baldur’s Gate series, you could choose to be a Druid shape shifter who willingly became a werewolf. The werewolf design was cool too, but somewhere along the line, they decided it should only have two toes. Otherwise, I love the games.
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

Personally, I like being able to play a WW in just about any kind of game. Though an RPG is my prefered one, since in an RPG you have more choices, generally can make the character to your specifications and, well, roleplay.

Which is so much more fun then "RAWR. Smash, Rawr. SMASH. Oh. CLAW. BITE." :P

Not that like, doing that isn't fun, of course.
Syzygy wrote:I would love to have a game like Bloodlines with one obvious major change.

Love it how we all have voted for playble characters so far. :D
And how close we came to having it....

Too bad Troika went under. They made a damn fine RPG.

Too bad the amount of interaction with WWs was limited to nearly being killed by one. :lol:
Rhuen
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Rhuen »

I also went with RPG, imagine choosing between either a male or female werewolf and being able to customize its features to your likeing and going up levels learning everything from basic werewolf moves to strange dark powers at the higher levels.

The Only RPG playable werewolves I have seen so far have been less than what I would want, especially since the games were targeted to a younger audience.

Otherwise most werewolves tend to be in either fighting games or a few action games and then not really werewolf like.
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

I liked the way they had it in morrowind, [spoiler]you were given the disease on a quest, which yo could keep or give away. aftercompleting said quest you could ge ta ring tha twouuld shift you whenevr you wanted.[/spoiler] but they had mods tha tcould change that all around. whichwas good.

I like all type sin all games. just give me a variety to choose from.
licantroleon
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: the pondering werewolf
Mood: RAR!

Post by licantroleon »

playable werewolf DUH!
Now playing: Okamiden
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

I chose a playable character in an RPG because RPGs are usually the ones that are most true to the concept of a werewolf. The only werewolves I recall in fighting games were John Talbain from Darkstalkers and Sabrewulf from Killer Instinct, both of which were cool, but had capabilities that I thought were really pushing their creative license. Action games tend to lean in that direction too, where the "were" form winds up being a superpowered version of the normal form as opposed to a form with entirely different strengths and weaknesses.

Baldur's Gate got it best so far, I think. Except for the fact that shifters were limited while in human form. They should've had it that shifters just couldn't use their wereform abilities while wearing armor as opposed to denying it completely.
Spiritbw
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Spiritbw »

Syzygy wrote:I would love to have a game like Bloodlines with one obvious major change.
Suppose this would be a good time to mention a World of Darkness MMORPG is in the works and Werewolves as well as Vampires are rumoured to be available in the release? Take the rumours witha grain of salt though, game isn't due out till 2012.
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: HERO OF NIGHTMARES
Additional Details: I just don't care.
Mood: Indifferent

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

Playable Action RPG character. All the more reason to implement a biomechanical customization feature.
sharkboy007

Post by sharkboy007 »

Spiritbw wrote:
Suppose this would be a good time to mention a World of Darkness MMORPG is in the works and Werewolves as well as Vampires are rumoured to be available in the release? Take the rumours witha grain of salt though, game isn't due out till 2012.
YES!! This is what I want :D

And you can bet werewolf would be in it. Werewolf the Forsaken is one of their more popular titles. If they released a WoD mmorpg without werewolves, there would be a riot :lol:
Shadows of Eden - a new World of Darkness html chat room - shadowsofeden.proboards100.com / www.shadowsofeden-wod.com
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

Spiritbw wrote:
Frankly, I'm not excited unless the werewolves are playable.

WoD's werewolves are insanely powerful. Having them featured but not letting be one of those fuzzy engines of death and destruction is simply cruel.
Descendent of a Druid
Pack Leader
Pack Leader
Custom Title: Archdruid
Mood: Bored

Post by Descendent of a Druid »

Elder Scrolls: Bloodmoon, implemented the werewolves rather well i thought. They were monsters, but if you were bitten there was a chance youd contract lycanthropy, and at night you would transform into gestalt :shift: , granting you increased phisycal powers but making equipment and magic unusable.
Baby seal walks into a club...
Konietzko
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Konietzko »

Playable, RPG werewolves. End of list. :lol:

Unfortunately, the closest I've seen so far as been in Morrowind: Bloodmoon, and...believe it or not...TESIV: Oblivion. For the computer version, there is a very incredible user created mod entitled Werewolves: The Curse of Hircine, which was origi9inally intended to include a quest and all sorts of things. However, I think it's pretty much stuck in eternal, playable beta...whereion there IS still no cure for the user created lycanthropy disease, and you pretty much have to kill and feed off of human prey once a night, nine nights a month...as apparently, the gibbous moon is capable of drawing out the beast just as well as the full moon. Al;so...during the half moon, you can go on ahead and will yourself to change come night, and hunt anyway. :P
Black Claw
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Hidden Archer
Mood: Excited

Re: Werewolves in videogams, what do you prefer?

Post by Black Claw »

There was an RPG that had the main character a werewolf but i can't remeber the titile of the game and what system you play'd it on.
I am the guardian of the light and darkness,
I am the one who whispers in the dark,
I am the eyes of your soul,
I am the shield,
I am the sword.
W'rkncacnter
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Hard to Pronounce

Post by W'rkncacnter »

The best way to deconstruct a stereotype (especially that of a monster) is to put the player in the shoes of the stereotype and have him break it just by walking around.

Plus, it would be something that's never been done before. I've seen werewolves as NPC's in RPG's, as mobs in action games, as players in fighting games, but never as a player in an RPG. It would be something fresh to the gaming industry.
What can create a new system, or destroy an old one? What can change the lives of everyone who touches it? What can strengthen the whole world, or shake it to its very roots? What can create whole nations, and change the course of history?

An idea.

-Unknown
Xiroteus
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Happy

Post by Xiroteus »

Third person platformer game, I like to move around a character in real time.
Celestialwolf
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Werewolf at Heart
Additional Details: Used to be Lazywolf

Post by Celestialwolf »

I would love something set up like Grand theft Auto (minus the sexual elements), only you as the main character would be a werewolf! Having a normal life, but then getting bitten and making your way to the local pack; trying to hide your true identity when necessary; shifting to gain greater strength to slaughter your opponents when you need to... I would buy that the day it was released! That's why I chose RPG.
Founder, Werewolves At Heart group.
--
My DeviantArt profile and Character Sheet
Vagrant
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Prolific Procrastinator

Post by Vagrant »

I suppose I'd go with RPG, but I'd want it to be something along the lines of Planescape: Torment or Mask of the Betrayer, where the situation is truly acknowledged as something new, and it explores the odd landscapes of the minds of those involved as much as how the environment around them is changed by their unusual condition.

I think those two RPGs did that perfectly, and they were very enlightening. It's always fun to see how a person's mental landscape changes when thrown into unique situations, and games are a wonderful medium to explore that in, because there's no rush to follow a linear line from A-to-B (a problem that most mediums suffer with) and the choices one makes can come into play.

Another great aspect of a game, especially a roleplaying game (and this is true of tabletop games as well) is that one can lose themselves in an experience, one can explore unhindered and progress at their own pace. And much more detail could be given to each particular element, the roleplaying game could even be about the progression of the mind-state into that of a Were, taking things slowly instead of just following the whole bit > werewolf > continue on tradition.

A well-designed RPG would be the perfect medium to take someone on this journey, supppositing experiences with gameplay mechanics. So I too would choose RPG, with the Werewolf as the main focus, played by the player.
NightSlash
Legendary
Legendary

Post by NightSlash »

I like Celestialwolf's idea about the Grand Theft Auto idea, where it's something that has storylines that you can partake in, but it's also free-roaming in an entire city, or a large mountain town and the surrounding wilderness (mountains/woods/etc), and you choosing to hide it out in the woods and hunting animals or being darker and going after people. And it could be either a newly bitten werewolf or a rogue werewolf that just arrived in the town. Customize your looks and wardrobe, and socializing with packs and even forming your own. And while you can go and kill people, do it too often and that can attract law enforcement, other werewolves who don't like what you're doing cause it can get them all exposed, or even werewolf hunters.
Celestialwolf
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Werewolf at Heart
Additional Details: Used to be Lazywolf

Post by Celestialwolf »

NightSlash wrote:I like Celestialwolf's idea about the Grand Theft Auto idea, where it's something that has storylines that you can partake in, but it's also free-roaming in an entire city, or a large mountain town and the surrounding wilderness (mountains/woods/etc), and you choosing to hide it out in the woods and hunting animals or being darker and going after people. And it could be either a newly bitten werewolf or a rogue werewolf that just arrived in the town. Customize your looks and wardrobe, and socializing with packs and even forming your own. And while you can go and kill people, do it too often and that can attract law enforcement, other werewolves who don't like what you're doing cause it can get them all exposed, or even werewolf hunters.
Yeah, that's pretty much how I was thinking; thanks for describing it so much better than I did! Another thought would be an online multiplayer mode where you can work together in the same pack or something. This would be an awesome title if someone were to make it--I just don't know how big the werewolf game market would be...
Founder, Werewolves At Heart group.
--
My DeviantArt profile and Character Sheet