Werewolves in videogames A guide.

What's hot, what's not. General Video Game discussion
Rhuen
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Dark One of the Moon

Werewolves in videogames A guide.

Post by Rhuen »

A project thread. To try and list every game out there that has a werewolf in it. and what they are.

But to keep it readable each post (like a game of memory and search) should only have one to three examples in them.

Title: Darkstalkers (1-3)
System: Sega Saturn-PlayStation 2
Genre: Fighting (2D)
Werewolf: Jon Talbain
A blue funny looking werewolf from Capcom. He is basically Ryu in a wolf suit. A werewolf that has werewolf moves plus martial arts powers. His origin varies by incarnation of him from game to game and other media he appears in.
Unlike his cat girl friend Felicia or others from Darkstalkers Jon Talbain doesn't have any playable apperances in any of Capcom's other cross over games. Although Felicia the cat girl and Morrigan the Succubus frequent these cross over games.

Last edited by Rhuen on Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
when I look in the mirror what looks back isn't always my reflection.
Rhuen
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Rhuen »

Title: Phantom Brave
System: Game Cube
Genre: RPG
Werewolf: a phantom, plus some NPC
an NPC werewolf character appears a few times, relative to the point in the game he is very tough, but only because he is possesed by a demon, later after being defeated a few times he turns good.
A playable werewolf also exists. Its a ghost (as are all the things you summon to help you) and you get to name it, adjust its stats with strange weapon moves you can add to it and titles. its one of the stronger biped phantoms you can choose from.

Morona and Ash meet the werewolf
http://www.rpgfan.com/pics/phantom-brave/ss-104.jpg
Last edited by Rhuen on Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

Good idea, I'll throw a few in. :D

Title: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness
System: Nintendo 64 (May have ported to something else, I don't know. I only know it was there first)
Genre: Platformer/Action game
Werewolf: Cornell and one Boss
Cornell is one of the major playable characters in the game. His storyline is more or less the "main" one since well, Reinhardt and Carrie, the other two MAJOR characters were already featured in a previous Castlevania (Castlevania 64) and well, their storylines are pretty much the same.

Cornell's from a village of Manbeasts who sealed their beastforms so they could peacefully live alongside humans. He's the only one to break the seal ( Spoiler: [spoiler]Aside from Ortega, later on.[/spoiler]) and release his form.

He did this in a remote location however, and when he gets back the village is in ruins and his sister's been kidnapped, thus drawing him into the story.

As far as playing goes, Cornell can easily switch between his lycanthropic form and human form, using thrown energy bolts (like Carrie) at range and claws at close range. Is transformations are powered by the red jewels the game uses to give you ammo for thrown items like axes, holy water, etc. so you are forced to use it wisely.

The other werewolf is one Ortega traps him with on a platform during one of the levels. Aside from being a big a** lycanthrope, there's nothing really spectacular about the guy.

Image(s):
In-game, human
Art, Human
Concept Art, mostly human - one sketch of werewolf form
Werewolf form, taken from guide. Looks a little less cool in game due to the old graphics.

--

Title: Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines
System: PC
Werewolf: There are two, but aside from watching one tackle your buddy off a cliff, then later see aformentioned were's head on your buddy's bed in his motel room, the player only encounters one. Also. A werewolf cardboard cutout target.

The Lycanthrope is impossible for the player to slay by conventional means (I guess it has to do with being a recently-made vampire, since while your buddy is 100 something years old he seemed to do fine aside from some light mauling) and the player has to go through a complex process that ends up with closing the doors of the observatory you're near on the poor bastard to kill him.

Or you can run around for five minutes until the lift arrives and takes you away from him. Which I prefer as all he did was find his forest on fire and assumed the only two guys around were the ones that started it. But..kiling him give good XP.

Image(s):
Doing a dance number with my vampire. Okay. Not really. I made the mistake of attacking him and managed to get this screeny by luck. I died shortly after. :lol:
His dramatic entrance (The forest is on fire because someone set it on fire to rile the werewolves up. )
The head of the guy who attacks your friend.
The only target more hilarious then this one is the vampire one, which shows dracula.

Title: The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind GOTY Edition (Or Morrowind with Bloodmoon expansion pack)
System: PC and X-Box
Werewolf: The player can become one, and the island of Solstheim holds 9 ones you can run into randomly (though the chances are low) and if you do the Main Quest that's availible in Solstheim you'll run into dozens of them.

Gameplay wise, a werewolf in MW is incredibly fast, and insanely strong, but frail due to the fact that the "unarmored" skill bugs out and leaves the WW with no protection beyond his ability to dodge, run, and jump like crazy. They're also sneaky. So for the player the strategy is to sneak and slay foes, or use hit and run tactics. To kill them, a silver weapon and a good amount of skill is all that's needed. AI is simple and will simply rush you and attack, allowing you to hit them easily. But the NPC weres can do some serious damage, players playing on the hardest difficulty have had their shields shredded in only a few blows.

They - like the player - only possess three attack animations (left, right, and downward claw, all two-handed claw swipes) but if you ready your claws (by "unsheathing" them like you would a sword) you move around two legs, when you "sheath" them however, you move around on four legs.

Additionally, the player has to slay one NPC (not a creature - an NPC. Meaning a character of one of the playable races) to statiate their bloodlust or their health with slowly drain. You will not DIE from this, but you'll be half dead by the time you're awake. Conversely, slay an NPC and you'll gain a slow 1 HP per second health regen. You also shift to WW form at exactly 9 PM (with a cool movie, too!) and back to human at 6 AM.
When you return to human you're naked and must re-quip your stuff (this is the extent of realism with the shift. None of the stuff you were wearing is ruined and you somehow managed to carry all your stuff around). Silver will deal double damage to you, etc.

And you get a nifty soundfile played if you try to do something you can't (a whimper, howl, etc.) and in first-person view there is fish-eye bending and a red tint.

Image(s):
The werewolf Ingame
Concept Art

I'll throw in more as I think of 'em and more people post.
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Is the Vampire game on low details? It looks like it.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

Shadow Wulf wrote:Is the Vampire game on low details? It looks like it.
It might be, I haven't checked.

Or it could be JPG + Photobucket = s*** screenie.

That and I don't know the Remove HUD command, so I cropped out much of the screen.
Rhuen
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Rhuen »

Title: Rampage 2-Rampage total Destruction (and likely any more will have this one as well)
System: Arcade-Playstation 2 (presently)
Genre: "smash and grab action"
Werewolf: In the first game you could choose between a person that becomes a giant gorilla and one that becomes a giant lizard. However ever since the second game you could also choose Ralph a giant forty foot werewolf. Later games have also introduced many more animals but Ralph is the only permanent one it seems added since George the gorilla and Lizzy the Lizard.

Last edited by Rhuen on Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Aki wrote:
Shadow Wulf wrote:Is the Vampire game on low details? It looks like it.
It might be, I haven't checked.

Or it could be JPG + Photobucket = s*** screenie.

That and I don't know the Remove HUD command, so I cropped out much of the screen.
Ok cause I have that same werewolf model on my gmod for half life 2 and it looks a WHOLE lot better.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Rhuen
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Rhuen »

Title: Bloody Roar (all of them)
System: (not sure on the first one but the newist to date was on the Game Cube)
Genre: 3D fighting (limited ring type)
Werewolf: Yugo, in every game each character has a werebeast form, some are odd animals like a Chimera, cat-girl, and a demon thing though. Yugo who is one of the characters to appear in everygame is a werewolf from a race of beast-shifters called Zooanthropes. He is a black furred werewolf with martial arts moves and odd powers. As an odd twist his girl friend is a wereRabbit.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/e ... 6_wolf.jpg
Rhuen
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Rhuen »

Title: Lost Kingdoms (1-2)
Sytems: Game Cube & Playstation 2"I think"
Genre: Action (monster summoning)
Werewolf: The heroine in both games captures, buys, and summons monsters with magic cards, All cards are also enemies in the game, althought the stronger enemies for some reason make some of the shortest ranged and most useless cards. The werewolf is no exception, its a very short ranged attack card. The Fenrir wolf is much the same way.
However in the second game a new power is added where the heroine can become some of the monsters. Amongst them is a red and white werewolf called a HellHound, as well as other man beasts, a centaur, and a golem.

"could not find images of them"
Rhuen
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Rhuen »

Title: Celebrity Death Watch
Systems: Playstation-Playstation 2
Genre: Fighting: limited 3-D
Werewolf: the Wolfman, the werewolf from the show appears in this D-class fighting game where you have to finish off your opponent to win regardless of life bar. The werewolf is fairly descent looking for a comical werewolf but is comical after all and is far from being one of the better fighters in the game.
Rhuen
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Rhuen »

Title: Altered Beast
System: Arcade-Genesis
Genre: Side scrolling action
Werewolf: Your character is a guy resurected by a god or wizard to save that guy's daughter from an evil bald guy who turns her into a bird. In each stage you're a different werebeast. The werewolf is the only one repeated (first stage and last stage) with more power in the last stage. The other beasts are, Weredragon, werebear, and a weretiger.
Okamiotoko
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: yo

Post by Okamiotoko »

In world of warcraft, there is infact werewolves called worgen. You cant become one, but you do fight them (as mindless mobs). More info....here
http://www.wowwiki.com/Worgen
"If you judge people, you have no time to love them. "
Mother Teresa
Rhuen
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Rhuen »

Title: Dragon Warrior
System: (varies: originally NES)
Werewolf: three wolfmen, all the same except for color and strength, the one called werewolf is the strongest one that appears and has yellow fur.
Pretty basic beast-men and more dog like than wolf like in apperance. and wear full cloths.
Rhuen
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Rhuen »

Title:McFarlane's Evil Prophesy
System: Playstation2
Genre: Action (four characters at once)
Werewolf: Three werewolves exist in this game: unfortunatly all are in the first level and thus the weakest villians and the weakist boss. Which makes no sense. The werewolf boss is controlling a small army of zombie wolf like werewolves and freaky wolfmen with terrible under-bites. Its one of the monsters called up by Dracula as part of some world domination attempt. The game as a whole feels like a rip-off of Castlevania, and the four characters on the screen at once, three controlled by the AI and you can switch between them makes the game unpleasent at times to play, and too easy at others.
Rhuen
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Rhuen »

Title: Digimon World 4
system: Game Cube
Werewolf: in this game you start out with one monster, and through various means can aquire other monsters to use. One such monster is the werewolf creature Were-Garurumon-X. Its the only werewolf like creature in the game, the majority are demonic and dinosaur like monsters.
Rhuen
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Rhuen »

Title: Shining the Holy Ark
System: Sega Saturn
Werewolf: Doyle, one of the later characters, and one of only two with out a second title, "other characters can level up to a certain point and need to be up-graded to continue the story and start over at Zero with high stats "its annoying and I never had the patience to see how high their levels could go before needing to up-grade, with out up-gradeing sooner, and seeing how this affects the other two character's stats"
Doyle is actaully called a Halfling in the game but is clearly a wolf humonoid, much like Basso the dragon warrior in the game. Doyle is a Ninja werewolf with Ninja skills and weapons, he is actaully more impressive earlier in the game before he becomes playable when he appears as an NPC, where he can stand on cielings and pick locks. After becoming playable he is just another brawler character with little magic and relying mostly on just hitting the enemy.
Searif
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Searif »

Title: Killer instinct
System: SNES
Genre: Fighting (3D)
Werewolf: Saberwulf, shown in figs video that celebrates killer instinct
Rhuen
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Rhuen »

Title: Mortal Kombat 2-Mortal Kombat Armegeddon
System:Arcade-Playstation 2
Genre: Fighting (platform varies)
Werewolf: Nightwolf, techniquelly not a werewolf, this native american fighter has as his animality (turn into an animal and kill opponent) a timber wolf.
In the second movie he appears more as a werewolf though which means next to nothing given how badly they made that movie. (lets hope the rumour is true that they are planning another movie that erases that movie from the continuity.
Machine-Whisperer
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: At an Observational status

Post by Machine-Whisperer »

Title:Diablo2 'Lord of Destruction' <expansion>

Werewolf: The character class of 'Druid' can at will, transform into a werewolf or werebear, although his attack animations are limited to only 3, Bite, claw, and cast spell.

armour and weapons are not visible while transformed but Do still provide their attack and defense bonuses.
Bah... Stupid Case sensitive Email. Lets try this again !
Chibiabos
Pack Leader
Pack Leader

Post by Chibiabos »

Title: Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

Link transforms into a wolf in this game debuting with the new Nintendo Wii. I don't know too much more than that ... will have to wait until I get my Wii on the 15th. What's that you say? Not out 'til the 19th? Well, I get it early for slugging it out in a Nintendo warehouse! :)
Lycanthropic
Custom Title: "That Guy"

Post by Lycanthropic »

Title: The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall
Released: August 31, 1996.
Werewolf: The player can become one, you'll encounter Werewolves or Wereboars randomly when doing quests, sleeping etc...
Its a 0.6% chance contracting lycanthropy every single hit.

The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall is the prequel to Morrowind. Its twice the size of The Great Britain most of the land is covered with bush though.

-Its over 75.000 NPC in the game.
-The Dungeons is so big you'll use probably 30 mins - 2 hours finding a quest object unless you are really lucky
-and it got Werewolves (Wereboars too).

Being a werewolf will give you these advantages:

-You get 40 points added to your Strength, Agility, Endurance and Speed, to a maximum of 100.
-You get 30 points added to Climbing, Critical Strike, Hand-to-Hand, Jumping, Stealth, and Swimming (it is possible to go over 100).
-You're immune to Iron and Steel weapons (which is what most bad guys carry until you reach higher levels). In effect, most humanoids can't touch you while you're in wereform, except with spells.
-The Guards cannot attack you or send you to jail while in wereform.
-a change on will "ability" which changes you into a werewolf/wereboar. (This ability can only be used once per day)
-and, you look cool :)

The Disadvantages:

-you can't access your inventory when in wereform.
-you will involuntarily change to wereform during the full moon. Not good when you're trying to get something accomplished and you need to access your inventory or deal with people.
-You've got to feed your appetite for the innocent every month or your hit points will drop to 4, making you fodder for the next rat you run into.
-and there's those pesky lycanthrope-hunters to deal with. Fortunately it's only one or two episodes per year.

Its 10 years since it was released so its a hard-to-find-game. but of course you can buy a used one on http://www.ebay.com

I've made a video where my character becomes a werewolf on YouTube. (This may be a spoiler though) Check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIO0Ym_3wco
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Title: Baldur's Gate II
Werewolf: Cernd

One of the game's many customization options is the subclass 'Shapeshifter Druid,' which is a druid that has willingly become infected with lycanthropy and trained himself to properly control it. One of the NPC characters you can add to your party is Cernd, a softspoken man with a habit of overusing nature metaphors. He has two sidequests, but neither makes any mention of his lycanthropy.

greniar
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: the scholar

Post by greniar »

Title: Shining Soul 2
System:game boy advance
Genre:action rpg
Werewolf:Zack
This game features a character class called "brawler" the general name for this wolf-headed class with claw weapons is Zack, though you can re-name him at the begining of the game. basically (as previously stated) the Brawler can use claws as weapons but he can also use daggers. Brawlers have a nifty healing ability which allows them to slowly regain health(the more you levelit up the, more heath you regain per second, my healing is maxed out and I heal around 6 every half second) (from wikipedia: His defense is low, but his speed and attack power make up for it. Quick and strong, this character uses limited equipment so he is not weighed down. However, for that reason, his defense is low.

The Brawler is both the shortest-ranged character in the game, and the one capable of inflicting the most damage. He uses Claws and Knives in combat, can both counterattack enemies that hit him and increase his own evasion skills, inflict both critical and stunning blows on opponents, become stronger after taking too much damage, and heal himself over time. All of these abilities combined, plus the devastating Knife charged attack (The Brawler spins around, inflicting multiple rapid weak hits which add up to quite incredible amounts of damage even at low levels) have led some to claim that he is drastically overpowered. Even though the Dragonute has stronger single hits, the Brawler has excellent combos.)

there is also weretiger that runs the colusseum and a half vampire character who can become a werepig looking orc (he has a mimic ability which lets him take the shape of different monsters)

Pics: http://www.segaforever.de/news/pics_shi ... ul_2.shtml
http://d171721.u31.surftown.se/gba/2004 ... ul2_02.jpg
GRIFFON:I'm Griffon ,and I'm a werewolf
GIRL:your crazy!
GRIFFON:Perhaps I was too forward.
lupine
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Lead us Not into Temptation.... I can find the way by myself
Mood: Meh...

Post by lupine »

Well.. there's Nightmare Creatures. You couldn't play AS the werewolf but you had to fight them
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nightmare_Creatures

Also there was the tie-in for Underworld, which could VERY loosely be referred to as a game.
http://uk.gamespot.com/ps2/action/underworld/index.html
Well be, thy one. And wisdom too. And grew, and joyed in my growth. From a word to a word, I was led to a word. From a deed...to another deed.

"I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."
Rhuen
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Rhuen »

Title: Okami
System: Playstation 2
genre: Action, puzzle
Werewolf: you play as a wolf version of the goddess Ameterasu

The basic is that 100 years earlier you died while saving the world, now the same evil and a greater threat has appeared and you must return to life to save the day and restore the natural order.

This game is very artistic and its only down side is if you have a high definition scree the whole game looking like a Japanese painting come to life makes the screen look like rice paper which is really noticable and annoying when seen in too much detail.

PS: forgot this earlier. In the game you enounter a tribe of half human half beast people called the Oina tribe. They all wear animal masks but transform into wolves or dogs. Incorporating the mask as well. One wearing a deer mask becomes a dog with antlers. One of the tribe named Oki becomes a blue ice powered wolf with red hair who you both fight against and helps at different points in the last part of the game.
Last edited by Rhuen on Tue May 01, 2007 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.