Second Life

What's hot, what's not. General Video Game discussion
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Re: The Fox's idea...

Post by Vuldari »

RedEye wrote:Good points, Vuldari. You might check your bank account to see if SL is still deducting from your bank account (if that's the method you chose).
No worries there. I actually registered for a $10 fee mere weeks before basic play became free (frustrating, as you can imagine) but only signed up for the bare-bones account, with no land or anything like that, so I had no monthly fees.

----------
Those are some interesting ideas RedEye. ...romance?... Image

Adventures and RPG's like that sound like fun...though I must admit, I'm a little more partial to the idea of more action based content, with all the user created characters, objects and environments.

----------

What I always thought would be awesome (and probably doesn't exist mostly because of the technical troubles involved) would be a simultaneous, overlapping multi-game environment.

Imagine a stadium.

In the center is a race track where players are having an actual race. A full blown, lap counting, statistics tracking competition.
However, at the same time, in the stands and indoor passages of the same stadium, a FPS deathmatch is going on.
As the racers drive around the track, they can see the battle going on in the stands and have to dodge the occasional stray rocket or straying warriors that fall on to the track (to certain doom on the bumper of a speeding car).

Not only that, but there is a runway in the open space inside the track where stunt aircraft are taking off and landing...buzzing the stadium and doing rolls and other stunts in the sky (occasionally crash landing on the track causing massive accidents, or kamikazeing the Deathmatchers in the stands...making them temping targets for heat seeking rockets as well).

Three different games going on at the same time...interfering with each other for Maximum Chaos.

I can't see any developer bothering to create such a game themselves. However, in a setting where thousands of Users could get together and make their own games however they like in the provided game engine space (such as in a theoretical SL Killer like I described earlier), I could definitely see such as stupidly brilliant game being created...just because someone realized they could.

If I was rich and could buy a massive server array, and knew square one of computer game programming, I might start such a community game myself. Sadly, I'm neither rich nor motivated enough to do such a thing, so all I can do is just get my ideas out there and hope someone more capable is listening.

Seriously...Second Life is faulty, annoying and obsolete...but was a valiant first installment in what should become a revolutionary new genre of multiplayer gaming.

An Upgrade/Replacement is sorely needed.
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Re: The Fox's idea...

Post by RedEye »

Vuldari wrote:
RedEye wrote:Good points, Vuldari. You might check your bank account to see if SL is still deducting from your bank account (if that's the method you chose).
No worries there. I actually registered for a $10 fee mere weeks before basic play became free (frustrating, as you can imagine) but only signed up for the bare-bones account, with no land or anything like that, so I had no monthly fees.

----------
Those are some interesting ideas RedEye. ...romance?... Image

Adventures and RPG's like that sound like fun...though I must admit, I'm a little more partial to the idea of more action based content, with all the user created characters, objects and environments.

Seriously...Second Life is faulty, annoying and obsolete...but was a valiant first installment in what should become a revolutionary new genre of multiplayer gaming.

An Upgrade/Replacement is sorely needed.

>>>The game you describe is quite doable, using a number of synchronized servers and some relatively simple game interaction programming.
The Race track would be a designated space with a priority of 1.
Everything else has a variable priority that gets lower-closer to 1 the nearer any component of that game gets to the race track. ONce it enters the trrack area, it has the same priority as the Race, and can interact with that race.
Then: If someone is zapped in the Race, they have to fight their way back to the racetrack and re-enter the race...
As to Romance... it is the most delightful form of combat there is. :wink:
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
Machine-Whisperer
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: At an Observational status

Post by Machine-Whisperer »

MattSullivan wrote:Run! Run screaming from the pointlessness of second life!
but then again life doesn't have all that much of a point either. XD
Bah... Stupid Case sensitive Email. Lets try this again !
MattSullivan
Legendary
Legendary

Post by MattSullivan »

Second life is like cancer. it slowly consumes you...
White Paw

Post by White Paw »

MattSullivan wrote:Second life is like cancer. it slowly consumes you...

slowly my tail..... SL consumes you chews you up and spits you out while your still kicking and screaming :lol:
fullmoonmaster
Legendary
Legendary

Second Life!

Post by fullmoonmaster »

howlo
forgive me if this has been brought up before but has anybody here heard of second life. its a online community where u can hang out meet people and do lots of stuff.. :) i bring this up becuase we could start a island (tho im not sure how..LOL) for the pack. it would be a new way of meeting up with other pack members online. thought id bring up the idea besides some of werewolf avatars are really good..i have one myself :D

heres the link;
http://www.secondlife.com/
Howwls
Lunarwolf aka fullmoonmaster
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

http://www.thepack.network/thepackboard ... php?t=4035

Yes...It has been mentioned before.

FYI, it was just lower down on the page if you had taken the trouble to look for it...and if not, there is a nifty little "SEARCH" button at the top of the page that you can use to look for subjects and threads too. It is generally good forum etiquette to at least TRY to look before creating a new thread.

...but don't feel too bad. I'm pretty sure half of our regulars didn't even know we had a "Search" function here either. Image
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
fullmoonmaster
Legendary
Legendary

Post by fullmoonmaster »

doh!!!....

so sorry :(
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The one and only were-jaguarundi!

Post by PariahPoet »

Don't worry about it, FMM. It's not as big a deal as all that. :P
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Wasnt this subject created atleast 4 times.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Short Tail
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Resident Chakat

Post by Short Tail »

I still maintain that SL is the root of all evil.
"War is over if you want it to be. Imagine all the people living life in peace." - John & Yoko
Kaebora
Custom Title: Werehare In Disguise
Mood: RAR!

Post by Kaebora »

No... not evil, just a place crawling with perverts. :( I suppose "scary" would be a better word.
Lurking softly, reading your posts, loving your ideas...
-Kaebora
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

I do remember an older thread about Second Life, but I'll just merge this with the one mentioned.
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
RedEye

Second What?

Post by RedEye »

Once upon a time, Second life was a fun, open ended semi-game, where you really could live a second, fun life. That ended in about eight months, when it became the world's biggest chat room.
Now, it's about as much fun as having your teeth cleaned, and a lot more boring.
THe method used: total streaming; was ok if you had a fast connection, but as the number of people increased and the number of servers remained about the same, it slowed down to a crawl.
It still has ONE useful purpose. You can create a nice avatar using their stuff, export it, and use it in other places that will accept their code, which is a diminishing area.
Fact is, it was a good idea once, but it has gone downhill ever since.
Something similar will appear, it's too good a franchise.
There will even be a clear list of things to avoid. As for now, It's just a waste of time.
Ave atque Vale, Linden Labs. You were great once....
but now... :P
Fenrir
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fenrir »

Short Tail wrote:I still maintain that SL is the root of all evil.
Most games like that make it so the user's life revolves around it, it is sad really, they get so bent on making their character the best, that they neglect their own lives. It's sad. :(
"Nam Sibyllam quidem Cumis ego ipse oculis meis vidi in ampulla pendere et cul illi pueri dicerent 'Sibylla Ti cupisne' respondebat illa 'Cupio mortere'."

-Satyricon
23Jarden
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: You guys want some cookIES!?

Post by 23Jarden »

Did you hear about that Sims player who played for three days straight and ended up ?
"There are no stupid questions. However, there are many inquistive idiots."
Kaebora

Post by Kaebora »

Ended up what?
-Kaebora
RedEye

Kaneva

Post by RedEye »

I have found the bastard child of Second Life and Second Life: it's like Second life without the amenities.
It's called KANEVA. At Kaneva.com.
It makes Second Life seem...pleasant. It's a three-dee blog with the means to make avatars that look just like you!
Really, you folks should take a look. Second Life isn't the worst- or the wurst, either.... :P
23Jarden
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: You guys want some cookIES!?

Post by 23Jarden »

D ead Stupid library compy's blocking out ridiculus things.
"There are no stupid questions. However, there are many inquistive idiots."
Kaebora

Post by Kaebora »

Just got into Second Life reciently. It's actually quite pleasant. It's quite easy to avoid the areas that you may find objectionable with the mature content filter. I still have to venture into the mature sections to get to some building content (due to the fact that some places share space with mature themed areas).

Out of curiousity, I ventured into the realm of furries a few times. There are two things that they may do in response. Either they will be uncomfortable with your human appearance, or they wll ignore you. (If you have a furry avi, I'm told they aren't shy at all.) If you do attemt to speak to them, usually they are actually quite nice. If you aren't used to their very different customs (like me) they can get offended easilly. I've never had a single visit to the furry areas without one of them getting pissed at me for something miniscule... but is usually as a result of my conservative views towards sex. They actually thought it was rude of me to say "I'll leave you two alone" when they started doing it in public. Ugh. At least I only saw that happen once. I have nothing against them, but they need to stop the hostile segrigation between Furries and Humans. I may not be going to those areas without invitation anymore, but those whom I befriended are very cool. I'm quite tempted to buy one of their awesome avatars too.

Most of the time I've spent in the game is just socializing. It's CRAZY! I'll spend hours just talking, dancing, and exploring with people. It's perfect for me since I don't have enough friends with the time to hang out in real life (at least here in New Mexico).

The building and customization aspects of the game isn't everyone's cup of tea, but there is a substantial number of people that explore it. Personally, I'm always looking for practical uses for my 3D art. So, I'm hoping to figure out importing and exporting models I've made in the past as useable objects. I've even purchased a few interesting looking avatars to cover for me while I make my own. Just for laughs, I even bought a cel-shaded avatar of Carl from Aqua Teen Hunger Force.

Once I get the jist of the game's mechanics... I'm gonna rip it apart and make some really interesting stuff.

http://www.secondlife.com - It's FREE!
-Kaebora
RedEye

Post by RedEye »

As in a "Second Life" that isn't a chatroom? Where things can actually happen? Where you can have fun?

This sounds interesting...
Kaebora

Post by Kaebora »

Just a chatroom?! You can literally become the alter-ego you always wanted to be. There are Jedi, gunslingers, vampire hunters, anthropomorphics, starship captains, figher pilots, exotic dancers (what world is complete without them), and even the thousands of talented community artists that make all the content from scratch. The list goes on.

Once you get over the hump of understanding the game's mechanics (which can be combersome), it turns into a world of play-dough for you to mold. Not an artist? No problem. There are thousands out there that will sell their wares and customizable avitar creations that you will need. I got a free lightsaber today, and a jet fighter yesterday.

Matt was right. This game is just as addictive as World of Warcraft. (Maybe more so.) Phew.
-Kaebora
IndianaJones
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Anime/Furry/Disney Fanatic
Additional Details: I like transformations and humans being turned into animals, furries, and monsters.
Mood: Relief

Post by IndianaJones »

After installing and trying out Second-Life 1 year ago. I immediately uninstalled it, because it wasn't the right game for me.
Disney/Disneyland fans and theme parks!
http://micechat.com/

http://steamcommunity.com/id/ZanderFox/
tyger
Legendary
Legendary

Post by tyger »

heh I'm there alot. I'm not usually shy of of people, as my av is more "furry" I like to say I'm weretiger that hangs out in wereform more than human. I've ended up being the only furry in a room of humans many many times. but over all it's been a pretty fun experience, Sadly just like first life you do tend to run into a lot of less than bright people :roll: but take it with a grain of salt. :)
Kaebora

Post by Kaebora »

I think I'm falling in love with someone in this game. I'm not sure how... but she has called me on my cell once already, and asks to cuddle with my Avi often. We'd spend hours just, talking and hanging out. It would seem that my second life is leaking into my first life. And all this time I've been the hypocrite that says that internet relationships are almost always a failure from the start. Well, we both know it's true, but we also don't give a damn. XD Take the happy moments while they last.

OMFG this game is amazing! The social possibilities are astounding.
-Kaebora