The Halo 3 Thread

What's hot, what's not. General Video Game discussion
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Eletist Jerk

The Halo 3 Thread

Post by Anubis »

This is the thread for Halo 3 so i'll stop filling this forum with them.

Any way check out the warthog that bungie is making for Halo 3! It gives a good idea how the game will look. You can see the dirt between the treds on the tires!!!

Gears of War eat your heart out.
http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx ... BAGwarthog
THE GAME

My Armory
Kaebora
Custom Title: Werehare In Disguise
Mood: RAR!

Post by Kaebora »

Might I remind you that graphics don't make a game fun. I'm mostly ignoring Halo 3 until I see a clear sign that the gameplay will improve. This new trend of great looking games with crappy gameplay has been getting on my nerves lately. :|
Lurking softly, reading your posts, loving your ideas...
-Kaebora
ravaged_warrior
Legendary
Legendary

Post by ravaged_warrior »

I've never considered the Halo series good, so I think that Bungie needs to just stop milking this mediocre franchise and try something NEW. Unfortunately, everyone seems to love it for reasons that I just don't get. I half-expected Halo 2 to be an improvement, but it wasn't. Gears of War, eat your heart out? I severely doubt it. As Kaebora said, good graphics does not equal good gameplay. Halo 2 had great graphics, but in my opinion, did not have good gameplay, just passable gameplay. And Halo 1? Don't even want to talk about it. I predict that Halo 3 will just be more of the same.
"We used to laugh at Grandpa when he'd head off and go fishing. But we wouldn't be laughing that evening when he'd come back with some w**** he picked up in town."
-Jack Handey
Kaebora

Post by Kaebora »

It's a real shame though. The games, in combination with the books, have a really good storyline to work with. The only reason I got Halo 2 was because I wanted to see the continuation of the story. That cliffhanger ending only pissed me off. I'm probobly going to play through Halo 3 singleplayer on my friend's 360. So far Halo 3 just isn't a console selling game for me. I hope that one day a 360 title will push me into getting the 360.

For the XBox it was Steel Battalion that sold me. For Gamecube it was Metroid Prime. What does any of the new consoles have that will bring me into next-gen? Nothing yet. Halo 3? Probobly not. Too soon to know for sure yet.
-Kaebora
ravaged_warrior
Legendary
Legendary

Kaebora wrote:For the XBox it was Steel Battalion that sold me. For Gamecube it was Metroid Prime. What does any of the new consoles have that will bring me into next-gen? Nothing yet. Halo 3? Probobly not. Too soon to know for sure yet.
Not even Gears of War? Or the Virtual Console. I mean there's FINALLY have a way of legally downloading old games, since they still make a big deal about old games being downloaded. I know it's illegal, but it seems unfair that a game that's pretty much unavailable in ANY form (and when they are available, the companies aren't necessarily making money off of them) should be shielded from the public due to copyright laws that at this point are really only valuable to game companies for the purpose of sequels or ports. This, hopefully, will clear up that problem. Once that thing gets full, it'll be AWESOME.

PS3's worth waiting for at the moment, though.
"We used to laugh at Grandpa when he'd head off and go fishing. But we wouldn't be laughing that evening when he'd come back with some w**** he picked up in town."
-Jack Handey
Kaebora

Post by Kaebora »

Copyright law aside, I am guilty of downloading emulated games on my PC. (Why buy what I already have, right?) But no, I see no console sellers yet. Gears of War is 'new wave' to the degree of Doom 3. "Same s***, different smell." In regards to new kinds of gameplay, it's just another FPS shooter with new ways to kill opponents. That can get old after awhile once you get used to the guns.

I'm looking for a game with a hook to it that makes the replay value higher. It has to be fun to the degree to make me want to pick it up months after finishing the game. I always get the itch to pick up GTA San Andreas, Operation Flashpoint, and Steel Battalion all the time. Soul Calibur II even has me hooked from time to time. Those kinds of games are rare, but it's a sure sign that it's money well spent.
-Kaebora
ravaged_warrior
Legendary
Legendary

Copyright law aside, I am guilty of downloading emulated games on my PC. (Why buy what I already have, right?)
Honestly? So am I. In fact, I was just playing Double Dragon before getting online. Great beat-em-up, but I prefer Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Arcade game and Battletoads. I'd just prefer it if I could do it legally, as long as it was available and somehow paid the developers.
In regards to new kinds of gameplay, it's just another FPS shooter with new ways to kill opponents.
It's a 3rd person shooter, and to be honest, it isn't the guns that are great, but the gameplay. I got used to the guns pretty quick, but the gameplay still felt new after beating it the first time.
I'm looking for a game with a hook to it that makes the replay value higher.
I actually started replaying the game the second I finished. I see what you mean, though. I did the same for the PS2 and the Xbox. Gamecube was a no-brainer, it was made by Nintendo and one of the first videos for it was Zelda, my favorite game series.
-Jack Handey
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

It's looking fine. I'm hoping the inclusion of the other Warthog types in the description isn't just to be all in-universe and cool, but rather a hint of the extra types that might make an appearance.
Kaebora wrote:Might I remind you that graphics don't make a game fun. I'm mostly ignoring Halo 3 until I see a clear sign that the gameplay will improve. This new trend of great looking games with crappy gameplay has been getting on my nerves lately. :|
They don't, but I always loved Halo's gameplay. I still play the PC version of the original. *shrug*
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Anubis »

Also I would love it if you guys stop dissing my favorite games, it's kinda pissing me off. You guys are Nazis with gaming aren't you? These games you are looking down on are best sellers. you may not like them, but they must be doing something right if they selling so many copies.
If you don't want to hear someone's opinion about a game, then don't post about it. The Halo franchise is selling to a crowd that is much younger than me. Generic FPS games like Halo lost my interest long ago. My tastes have turned to more challenging types of games.
And Kaebora have you even played Gears of War? It's 3rd person shooter and it revolves around taking cover unlike games like halo.
No I have not, but I read up on it. The duck and cover stuff isn't new either, and is not very accurately done from what I've been told. Operation Flashpoint covers that catagory for me anyways. Nothing beats duck n' cover strategy plus a 100 sq Kilometer playground to up the level of strategy entirely.
Also GTA is just sex and violence for the sake for sex and violence. Its giving a** holes like jack Thompson ammo for their game crusades. Only reason it sold many copies is because of it controversy kinds like The Divinchi Code. Its an embarrassment to the gaming industry!!
An embarrassment? A game series that literally created an entirely new genre of games? I've been playing it since GTA2 when it was just an overhead camera view on pixel characters. Being able to do almost anything, and go anywhere, is a great idea for gameplay, and they must be doing something right if I constantly get urges to play it.
THE GAME

My Armory
Aki
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Aki »

Anubis wrote:Halo 1 & 2 are GREAT games, they sold millions of copies, and millions of Xbox consoles. Even though the game play isn't revolutionary, but still captured the hearts of millions of fan boys
Halo's success hinges not on revolutionary gameplay, but having done the basic FPS gameplay right. The controls are easy to use, the enemies are easily recognized, have different reactions/strategies in combat, there's a variety of different weapons, etc.
Also I would love it if you guys stop dissing my favorite games, it's kinda pissing me off. You guys are Nazis with gaming aren't you? These games you are looking down on are best sellers. you may not like them, but they must be doing something right if they selling so many copies.
It's opinion and it's their right to have it. Not every likes what you or I like.
Also GTA is just sex and violence for the sake for sex and violence. Its giving a** holes like jack Thompson ammo for their game crusades. Only reason it sold many copies is because of it controversy kinds like The Divinchi Code. Its an embarrassment to the gaming industry!!
Not really. GTA games always have a story. They're games that enable the player to free-roam and deal with the darker aspects of life. Crime and such. "Sex" isn't too big a part, aside from the hookers in Vice city and the "Hot Cofee" mod. The violence in it is no worse than most other games.

It's no Soldier of Fortune where a headshot will actually blow out a chunk of their head.
ravaged_warrior
Legendary
Legendary

Woah, woah, Anubis, calm down. Let me address some of your points, maybe that'll help you understand where I'm coming from.
Halo 1 & 2 are GREAT games, they sold millions of copies, and millions of Xbox consoles. Even though the game play isn't revolutionary, but still captured the hearts of millions of fan boys
I find this statement to be kind of illogical. The opinion is subjective and the sales figures don't really say that it's a quality game, just a popular one. I also didn't like Titanic, and that made a hell of a lot of money.
Besides it's just taste of the game's graphics, I'm not saying it will be awesome just for it's good looks.
That was all Kaebora. I was just agreeing with a statement he made. But really, due to the budget they get, it would be a load of BS for Bungie to have a game with bad graphics. Halo 1 didn't have good graphics, in my opinion, I thought they were in between N64 and Dreamcast. On the other hand, after that made a lot of money, Halo 2 had some of the greatest graphics on Xbox. Still, I think they're on about the same
I'm sorry... I understand, man, I get pissed when people talk crap about my favorite series, Legend of Zelda. Still, "Nazi" is a little harsh.
And Kaebora have you even played Gears of War? It's 3rd person shooter and it revolves around taking cover unlike games like halo.
Damn straight.
That's not fair... GTA tried something new and did it right. It's a great mission-based open-ended game that I think gets a bad rap, though I do admit that it gets repetitive REALLY fast. But still, it's the best of the crime-game genre, I see more problem with its themes than I do with The Godfather's. Da Vinci Code is a badly written book with no substance. And Jack Thompson... Well, f*** him. He can go f*** himself, the bastard is an embarrassment to carbon-based life forms. That asshole once went on a message board and harassed the friends of some kid who committed suicide, actually BLAMED them for his death, accused them of not calling 911, and told them to get lives.

Sorry if that didn't help... I kinda doubt it did. Probably could have worded it better, I think I came off a little cocky...

Alright, now I'd like to address one of Aki's points:
Halo's success hinges not on revolutionary gameplay, but having done the basic FPS gameplay right. The controls are easy to use, the enemies are easily recognized, have different reactions/strategies in combat, there's a variety of different weapons, etc.
I agree, the first-person portions do have great controls, but I think that they become problematic when you enter a vehicle. They felt sluggish and they respond slow. Especially in the first one, where you couldn't even strafe in a damn TANK. This was fixed in the second one, though. Even worse is that your character's life bar went down when you were hit... In a TANK. Luckily, they fixed this in the second one. About the weapons, though... I felt they were severely limited. There just weren't enough, and most of them (most of the Covenant ones) just weren't all that great. This was mostly improved in the second one, especially with the dual-wielding. (Quicknote: I have the same problem with Gears of War, but due to that one's gameplay style, I felt that it would have been a little difficult had you been switching weapons often) And lastly, the enemies strategies... Well, I didn't really notice. They just seemed like they were rushing me. Although I did like that they strafed, I don't see that often. You know what, I don't see why so many Halo fans think that the second one is inferior. I thought that it was better, fixed a lot of problems that the first one had, and even had an online mode. I personally wouldn't buy it, but it was a lot better than the first. Shorter, and with a bad ending, yes, but with better gameplay decisions.

Anyway, back to Anubis: I'm really sorry if I offended you, that wasn't my intent. I just wanted to express my opinion on the first two. Looking back, yeah, I definitely worded that post wrong, and I sincerely apologize for it, but my opinion still stands.
-Jack Handey
Kaebora

Post by Kaebora »

If you don't want to hear someone's opinion about a game, then don't post about it. The Halo franchise is selling to a crowd that is younger than me. Generic FPS games like Halo lost my interest long ago. It's been done to death already. My tastes have turned to more challenging types of games.
No I have not, but I read up on it. The duck and cover stuff isn't new either, and is not very accurately done from what I've been told. Operation Flashpoint covers that catagory for me anyways. Nothing beats duck n' cover strategy plus a 100 sq Kilometer playground to up the level of strategy entirely.
An embarrassment? A game series that literally created an entirely new genre of games? I've been playing it since GTA2 when it was just an overhead camera view on pixel characters. Being able to do almost anything, and go anywhere, is a great idea for gameplay, and they must be doing something right if I constantly get urges to play it. It makes me wonder, have YOU even played it? More specifically, played through the missions to unlock new areas and vehicles to double the fun? I tend to ignore the sex and cursing in the games anyways. It doesn't need that to be fun.
-Kaebora
Timber-WoIf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Timber-WoIf »

betabetabetabetabetabetabetabetabetabetabetabetabetabeta

WHEN THE F*** IS THE DAMN BETA GONNA COME OUT?
Deviantart? Why'd I do this?
I am relentlessly agressive

Image<--- THEY PWN U
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Anubis »

Yes i have played GTA and i found it repeditive, waist of time and a game rental. GTA is a bad game, but it did invent a genre. I'll give it that much

And the reason i made this thread about Halo 3 is for other halo liking gamers to talk about the upcomming installment, and for to post stuff so i wont flood the forum with multipule Halo3 threads.

I respect your opinions but you seemed to me that you were down right dissing my favorite games. You could have just said that you didn't like it. You don't like my taste in games, and the same goes for me. I rather be casterated than play your games, I hated GTA, and SC2, if you played one fighting game you played them all in my eyes. please be more conciderate of other people when you talk negatively about another person's passion. You didn't like it when i called GTA an embarassment.

PS play the games first before you talk negatively about them. I gave GTA a chance before i made up my mind. Besides you might like it.

((The beta is comming out some where in the sping))
THE GAME

My Armory
ravaged_warrior
Legendary
Legendary

Anubis wrote:SC2, if you played one fighting game you played them all in my eyes.
Now, I disagree about Soul Calibur II being all that similar to other fighters (with the exception of Tekken, but even that has differences). It's very original for a fighting game. However, most of the fighting game basics are there, and the culprit is obvious: Street Fighter 2. When SF2 became a huge moneymaker, pretty much everyone else wanted to leach off of the franchise, and it just so happens that some were good enough in their own right to stick, like Mortal Kombat, and afterwards so many features of Street Fighter just became a fighting game standard. There are some exceptions, such as Super Smash Bros. (HUGE exception here, and my personal favorite fighting series) and, to an extent, the Soul Calibur series.
-Jack Handey
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Anubis »

It seemed like it to me, every one can win by just flat out button smashing. no real stratagey. i'm sorry i don't like SC2 or any fighting game.
THE GAME

My Armory
geekboy1500
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Lover of Life

Post by geekboy1500 »

SC2 when played the way 88% of people play it IS a button masher... However If you master button combo's you can make your character do EXACTLY what you want him/her to do.

As to GTA, the game isn't meant to have way's of doing things. In my opinion part of the fun is to figure out how to evade the cops, what car to use for X mission etc.

In the end however it depends on what type of game you like, and how much patience you have. I could never play Civilation (sp?) because it requires wayyyy too much micromanaging for my tastes. But then that's just my opinion
The Think Geek Annoy-o-Tron, insanity in convenient attractive box.
Kaebora

Post by Kaebora »

Anubis... just because people dislike the games you adore, doesn't mean it's a direct attack on you, so stop acting like it is. The discussion that Halo 3 has the potential to do badly has everything to do with what this thread is about. It is a HALO 3 THREAD! I do not doubt Halo 3 will sell, and make millions. I've just been saying that have my doubts that I, as an individual, may not find it enjoyable. (If the trend of the previous games continues.)
It seemed like it to me, every one can win by just flat out button smashing. no real stratagey. i'm sorry i don't like SC2 or any fighting game.
I know every combo Ivy can do by heart, and won a couple of sponsored tournaments when the game was still new. I can beat any button masher in seconds if they don't know what they're doing. Trust me, SC2 button mashers don't stand a chance against players that memorize combos, and use the right combinations. Some moves don't work correctly in certain situations, and button mashers make that mistake. To this day, I haven't seen a buttom masher pull off Ivy's "Calamity Symphony".

You know... you can't get mad at us for bashing Halo, when you are already bashing many of our faves. :| This is all a matter of personal tastes anyways. I'm the simulator, fighting game, RTS strategy, RPG type.
-Kaebora
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

This turned out to be a contriversial game. :|
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Aki
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Aki »

Shadow Wulf wrote:This turned out to be a contriversial game. :|
Because it's Halo. Halo is one of those games people rarely are indifferent too. You either love it or hate it. Or like it or mildly dislike it.. or something like that.
Kaebora

Post by Kaebora »

Agreed. It seems that everyone I know (in person) over the age of 21 dislikes it. Kids love it though. It's just too simple a game for me and my buddies. We like games that require more strategy, timeing, and skill.

Halo 3 HAS to have a similar gameplay style, or else it wont sell to the players of the previous games. Improvements that I'd like to see is more guns, a more detailed damage system, more emphasis on duck and cover tactics, a weakening or total elimination of the auto-aim feature, and maps that provide more room for strategy that can nullify those that like to "run and gun". That, and fix up the way online games are set up. Boom, you have a better version of the same game. You can't fix the sour apples that play online though. Halo will always be plagued with kids that have turretts syndrome.
-Kaebora
Aki
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Aki »

Kaebora wrote:Agreed. It seems that everyone I know (in person) over the age of 21 dislikes it. Kids love it though. It's just too simple a game for me and my buddies. We like games that require more strategy, timeing, and skill.

Halo 3 HAS to have a similar gameplay style, or else it wont sell to the players of the previous games. Improvements that I'd like to see is more guns, a more detailed damage system, more emphasis on duck and cover tactics, a weakening or total elimination of the auto-aim feature, and maps that provide more room for strategy that can nullify those that like to "run and gun". That, and fix up the way online games are set up. Boom, you have a better version of the same game. You can't fix the sour apples that play online though. Halo will always be plagued with kids that have turretts syndrome.
I dunno about everything else, but I heard of a tactical map. Memory's a bit foggy but I remember that it had a base, a beach and a couple ways to sneak in. You could frontally assault it, but if the player's were competent you'd either suffer losses or be wiped out.

I agree on auto aim. It's lame. Though duck and cover tactics not so much. I like them, but they're not so much Halo's style, I think. Not at least until the high-end difficulty levels. Being a born-and-bred soldier with genetic enhancements and a super-suit would make that a bit silly. Maybe if they came out with a game in the Halo universe where you play a Marine or ODST.

That'd both rock and make sense. B)

I'd love to see more guns, but a more detailed damage system might be a bit out of it's style.

Strategic games are fun, but I like my run and guns as well. I get a kick out of busting into a room and mowing NPC's down like blades of grass.
Kaebora

Post by Kaebora »

Aki wrote:Strategic games are fun, but I like my run and guns as well. I get a kick out of busting into a room and mowing NPC's down like blades of grass.
Seems a bit unrealistic to me. Well, for a game that has super soldiers, zombies, aliens, and computers with personalities, what's realistic? Heh. But you're right. They have to keep the gameplay style of the previous games intact for it to do well. There is SO much room for improvement though.
-Kaebora
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Which is why I like Half Life series, its not just run and gun, theres quite a bit of strategy aswell.

I think Halo 1 and 2 are great. In the first Halo, it blew my mind with its co-op and the huge enviroments and vehicles, not to mention it was the first game that I played that has a rifle with an ammo counter on it, I thought little detail was awsome. And it was the first game I played to full use the melee just right.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Aki
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Aki »

Kaebora wrote:
Aki wrote:Strategic games are fun, but I like my run and guns as well. I get a kick out of busting into a room and mowing NPC's down like blades of grass.
Seems a bit unrealistic to me. Well, for a game that has super soldiers, zombies, aliens, and computers with personalities, what's realistic? Heh. But you're right. They have to keep the gameplay style of the previous games intact for it to do well. There is SO much room for improvement though.
It's not unrealistic if you have your main character have combat abilities that are jacked through the roof. Born and bred soldiers with modifications and uber armor give you plenty of room to stretch realism. :D

There's room for improvement. There's always room for improvement with any game.