The Halo 3 Thread

What's hot, what's not. General Video Game discussion
deruty
Legendary
Legendary

Post by deruty »

I heard that Tom Clancy's games are real into the strategic setting with maneuvers and small tactical squads.

I think the reason Halo appeals to people (in my opinion) is the seamless forming of vehicles, weapons, C.Q.B. (Close Quarters Battle), and in a small scale. We've had something similar to this in BF1942 and BF2 but nothing on a small and simple scale.

Halo appealed to me because I like using the pistol :D. Its just bam bam bam and they're dead :D. Nothing like bam bam bam bam bam bam bam oh darn out of ammo and now I'm dead :P. The fact that you're neigh invulnerable with your shield yet at the same time able to die so easily makes the game interesting. The flood was a real twist and to be honest surprised me.

Halo 2 appeals to me because I can shoot the sniper rifle and hit stuff :D! But the pistol was pwned and looks lame :(. I've never finished playing Halo 2 and I was playing with a friend on Co-Op and he skipped all the cut scenes so I really don't know much about the story line either so I can't give much of an opinion on Halo 2. I don't like how the vehicles blow up now though :P.

All in all theres games for those who like to be in charge of a squad or part of a squad working out tactical situations and there are games for someone who wants to be everything a gunner, a tanker, a sniper, a lone warrior, a 1 man army, etc.
My real online handle is Derutydragon
Therian
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Therian »

I preordered Halo 3 the other day! It comes out November 1st. :D
You all laugh because I'm different. I laugh because you're all the same.
Kaebora
Custom Title: Werehare In Disguise
Mood: RAR!

Post by Kaebora »

Tactical squad games make up a very small number of games. Rainbow Six and Full Spectrum Warrior are all that come to mind. The game Operation Flashpoint that I constantly rave about is a war simulator game, with ever vehicle and weapon behaving the way it should, including the damage for both man and machine. You get hit in the leg, you can't walk. Get hit in the arm, you can's aim effectively. Get hit in the chest or head, you're dead instantly. You try flying a Blackhawk with a busted tail rotor back to base without crashing or getting shot down. That's exhilerating to acomplish. I get a good rush from such intense stress of battle, and it makes the gameplay feel more intense.

If you ever played airsoft or paintball, you'd understand this to the fullest extent. Realism = adrenaline rush. Kids today just seem to dislike being forced into participating in teamwork I guess. However, I get a great thrill from knowing that other live people depend on me for support in a game, lest the mission could fail with one slip-up.

A tactical version of Halo. That would be awesome!
Lurking softly, reading your posts, loving your ideas...
-Kaebora
Timber-WoIf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Timber-WoIf »

Kaebora wrote:Kids today just seem to dislike being forced into participating in teamwork I guess.
exactly. but, a team that works together in halo usually has the best chance to win, although a coupla rambos with too much time on their hands usually wins. Really, halo is the best easy shooter i've ever played, but it is a simple shooter, filled with simple children. Why i also enjoy clancy shooters (which, considering vegas, are becoming more and more rambo-ish... sigh.) gotta check out that flashpoint game though :D :havocwolf:
Deviantart? Why'd I do this?
I am relentlessly agressive

Image<--- THEY PWN U
Therian
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Therian »

Hmmm yeah I agree with Kaebora and Timber-Wolf. Yet a tactical Halo would be pretty awsome. I think also if poeple like Halo alot, like me, would get a adrenaline rush when you do real good in the game and get alot of high scores ect.
deruty
Legendary
Legendary

Post by deruty »

Operation Flash Point sounds AWESOME :D sounds like everything I've ever wanted :D
My real online handle is Derutydragon
Kaebora

Post by Kaebora »

Get an XBox, XBox Live, and a $10 copy of OpFlash Elite, and you're set. Otherwise, you'll have to get the PC version, which is even more awesome. But if you plan on getting the PC version, skip the first game and get Operation Flashpoint: Armed Assult, that came out earlier this year. I'm buying a third monitor just to utilize the widescreen mode of that game. (I'm a nut.)

I want a Halo RTS game, or a Halo MMORPG! RAR!!

Grand Theft Warthog: New Zanzibar Stories
Hells yeah.
-Kaebora
ravaged_warrior
Legendary
Legendary

Post by ravaged_warrior »

Kaebora wrote:Get an XBox, XBox Live, and a $10 copy of OpFlash Elite, and you're set. Otherwise, you'll have to get the PC version, which is even more awesome. But if you plan on getting the PC version, skip the first game and get Operation Flashpoint: Armed Assult, that came out earlier this year. I'm buying a third monitor just to utilize the widescreen mode of that game. (I'm a nut.)

I want a Halo RTS game, or a Halo MMORPG! RAR!!

Grand Theft Warthog: New Zanzibar Stories
Hells yeah.
Hmmm... Operation Flashpoint sounds fun, I'll check it out.

And I think that they are making a Halo RTS.

EDIT: Here we go, Halo Wars.
"We used to laugh at Grandpa when he'd head off and go fishing. But we wouldn't be laughing that evening when he'd come back with some w**** he picked up in town."
-Jack Handey
Kaebora

Post by Kaebora »

Holy crap. That trailer is AWESOME! :o
-Kaebora
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

I thought everyone would have known in my Halo Wars Thread :P
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
geekboy1500
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Lover of Life

Post by geekboy1500 »

Kaebora wrote:Agreed. It seems that everyone I know (in person) over the age of 21 dislikes it. Kids love it though. It's just too simple a game for me and my buddies. We like games that require more strategy, timeing, and skill.

Halo 3 HAS to have a similar gameplay style, or else it wont sell to the players of the previous games. Improvements that I'd like to see is more guns, a more detailed damage system, more emphasis on duck and cover tactics, a weakening or total elimination of the auto-aim feature, and maps that provide more room for strategy that can nullify those that like to "run and gun". That, and fix up the way online games are set up. Boom, you have a better version of the same game. You can't fix the sour apples that play online though. Halo will always be plagued with kids that have turretts syndrome.
when playing against an experienced team in a personal room there is a LOT of stratagy. Planning routes, setting up snipers, and formulating a plan are all a part of HALO.

But I would agree, you go online in a computer generated room and there isn't much more than trash talking 12 year olds.
The Think Geek Annoy-o-Tron, insanity in convenient attractive box.
Timber-WoIf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Timber-WoIf »

dude check out this contest:
http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx ... lemcontest

i'm tempted to submit a wolf head emblem. Thatwould be pretty sic, eh?

Image<--- THEY PWN U
Kaebora

Post by Kaebora »

I'll give it a shot. It would be cool to put that on my demo reel, with a Spartan wearing it. 8)
-Kaebora
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Eletist Jerk

Post by Anubis »

September 25th!!

The fight ends on 9/25!! :howl:  :oo
THE GAME

My Armory
geekboy1500
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Lover of Life

Post by geekboy1500 »

Beta's out.

YAY!
The Think Geek Annoy-o-Tron, insanity in convenient attractive box.
Timber-WoIf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Timber-WoIf »

they f*** up the beta download for those of us who purchased Crackdown when it released. So we rnt playing halo 3. f*** a

Image<--- THEY PWN U
Therian
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Therian »

Censored? ???? I'm hoping to buy Crackdown soon maybe this weekend my friend says it's reallly good
TarekIsAwesome

One word

Post by TarekIsAwesome »

Awesome
Watcha gonna do when Master Chief comes for you.
Therian
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Therian »

The Halo 3 Beta rules but still confusing, at first I didn't know the buttons and woud press x to try an get on a vehicle, of course dropping a mine by it and blowing up half my team mates hopefully they understood lol but I will buy it soon hopefully.
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Eletist Jerk

Post by Anubis »

The launch of halo 3 is in two weeks!!! Who's picking up a copy on the 25th?

I'm getting the legendary edition on the day release!! :D
THE GAME

My Armory
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

I have no 360, and am unlikely to amass enough cash for one in a measly two weeks, so no release-day Halo 3 for me.

Likewise, I never get things on the day of release. Or, at least, nothing popular on Halo's scale. The crowds will be insane.

Oh, and some really, really cool Halo related things:

Arms Race

Combat

Yeah. Live-action Halo clips. Lots of CGI, naturally. From the dude who was going to direct the Halo movie before it was stalled until funding can be found.
Dreamer
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Dreamer »

The only reason I want a 360 is for Banjo_Kazooie 3. Rare has been in a slump lately, but Viva Pinata got the mout of it and it's made by the same team as this game (As well asthe other 2 Banjo games) so it'll probably be awesome.
XIV
Kaebora

Post by Kaebora »

I'm probobly going to be spending 80% of my time in the Forge Map Editor in Halo 3. I'm a Garry's Mod junkie to the core. It's fun to play around with a game's physics.
-Kaebora
ravaged_warrior
Legendary
Legendary

Post by ravaged_warrior »

From what I've read, the term map editor sounds very misleading... It sounds more like a stuff spawner to me.

Or I could be remembering incorrectly, but I think it said you couldn't mess with the map itself (terrain, buildings, etc.), just the objects in it. Hence, a stuff spawner.
"We used to laugh at Grandpa when he'd head off and go fishing. But we wouldn't be laughing that evening when he'd come back with some w**** he picked up in town."
-Jack Handey
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Half Life 2 episode 2 for me! 8)
I personaly think Valve is handling the deal this year. 5 games for the price one 1. no other company can do better than that.
But Im still also trying to get my own copy of Halo 2. Jason might let me keep hes old xbox that can pretty much play Halo 2 well and thats it. :D
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image