S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Shadow of Chernobyl

What's hot, what's not. General Video Game discussion
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

Wulfur wrote:Oh! that does sound good then. Next time I have a chance I will pick it up. I always enjoy a game that can always have a diffrent ending that has a good reason to play it over and over to learn new things. :)

Ty for the response most appreciated. :D
No problem.

Also: Random funny Stalker machinima clip: P.O.T.A.T.O.Z: Perils of a True American Totally Oblivious In The Zone

Warning: May require a sense of humor :wink:

Oh and an interesting note. It seems despite the SDK not being out yet people are already modding Stalker. I've come across a nifty mod which enables some armors only NPCs could use - namely just, y'know, variants on the normal armors that happen to have Gas Masks but still cool. Also makes Exo armor slightly more easy to find.

Oh and a mod that adds vehicles, though thus far it only affects vehicles in the Cordon ...and they're kinda sensitive. Like, hit a tree and die kind of sensitive. One of the drivable vehicles is like a tractor though, haha. :lol:
Wulfur
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Meh...

Post by Wulfur »

Rofl :lol: that was pretty entertaining. I forgot to ask does this game alllow multiplayer?
Aki
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Aki »

Wulfur wrote:Rofl :lol: that was pretty entertaining. I forgot to ask does this game alllow multiplayer?
Yup. Though I've not tried it yet. I believe that's how they made the machinima. Kinda like Red Vs. Blue - you get your actors and cameramen into a MP game to film it. :D
Wulfur
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Wulfur »

Nice well maybe when I pick up the game in the future some of us that own the game could try some multiplayer if it works good.
Been a while since I have played a good multiplayer FPS.
Aki
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Aki »

Wulfur wrote:Nice well maybe when I pick up the game in the future some of us that own the game could try some multiplayer if it works good.
Been a while since I have played a good multiplayer FPS.
That'd be cool. I've never done much with MP.

Also, I've found with the right codes into the console you can set up stalker to have a first person view, a third person view, a camera that rotates around the character! ^_^

As such I was able to capture images such as this and this.

:D
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

Only if you have a powerfull enough PC for it.
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Morkulv »

Aki wrote:

Wow, that looks even more mediocre then I thought it would be... Even 'Chaser' looks better then that and at least that game runs on every system...

Sorry, I'm really not impressed.
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Aki
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Aki »

Morkulv wrote:
Aki wrote:

Wow, that looks even more mediocre then I thought it would be... Even 'Chaser' looks better then that and at least that game runs on every system...

Sorry, I'm really not impressed.
Like I said, I play on medium, not high and on 800 by 600, not some super-detail. Besides, Stalker doesn't ride on it's graphics like some games. Stalker pays more attention to things like storyline and gameplay. It has more demanding specs because it has more going on in the background. AI and such.

Also: Chaser vs. My pic:

Somehow, I think Stalker looks better. In addition to the better muzzle flare, the stance is far more natural. Plus, my AK family weapon looks a bazillion times cooler. :D

Stalker's not too demanding of anyone with a decent PC. You're just hatin' on it because your PC ain't so hot.
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Morkulv »

The only real difference I can see (except for the different resolution in both games) is about 2 ghz. :P

And no, I am not a PC-game hater, but its a fact that PC-games are very demanding and thus it will only appeal to hardcore gamers with the latest super-PC.
Aki
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Aki »

Morkulv wrote:The only real difference I can see (except for the different resolution in both games) is about 2 ghz. :P

And no, I am not a PC-game hater, but its a fact that PC-games are very demanding and thus it will only appeal to hardcore gamers with the latest super-PC.
Hardly. My PC is far from "super". My Graphics card is a Nvidia GeForce 6200. That's skin-of-your-teeth bare minimum req. for Oblivion. This ain't no Alienware, no NASA mainframe, it's an E-Machine I got from my mother and later upgraded to not suck so massively by upgrading the graphics card and RAM.

Also, the claim of how demanding a game is varies by game. There are, afterall, many variables to consider, such as:
  • * Hardware - a s*** PC will be strained by most games
    * Operating System - Running a game on a unsupported OS is a bad idea. Might work. Might not. If it does work it might run like crap.
    * Engine - Certain game engines are more efficient than others. OB's is more demanding on my comp than Stalker's for some reason - sometimes causing a reboot.
    * Optimization - As a rule of thumb, unoptimized games tend not to run as well as optimized ones
PC games are no more demanding than console games. Console games however, have the advantage of having a very set configuration for which developers design games for. PC devs need to design for a wide variety of configurations. And naturally, since some configurations might not be decent, might need software/driver updates, etc. PC games appear to be more demanding because the devs can't design for every possible scenario while with a console the devs know the game will function the save way on every console.
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Morkulv »

John Wolf
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Timber Wolf
Mood: Happy

Post by John Wolf »

I long to play, Stalker, but then I remember my computer. :(
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Aki is right on one thing Morkulv, engine does matter quite abit.

Half Life 2 and Doom 3 are key examples. Half Life 2 looked just as good as Doom 3, and yet Half Life 2 could run on a much wider range of computers than Doom 3.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Aki
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Aki »

Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Morkulv »

ravaged_warrior
Legendary
Legendary

Post by ravaged_warrior »

"We used to laugh at Grandpa when he'd head off and go fishing. But we wouldn't be laughing that evening when he'd come back with some w**** he picked up in town."
-Jack Handey
Aki
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Aki »

Morkulv wrote:
So what? Morrowind created a entire world to wander in, and it would run fine on a pentium 3. So basically, if you are right, it would mean that STALKER has a {censored}-up engine.
Morrowind had inferior graphics, a very, very limited AI (unless triggers to do something, would stare at walls for hours on end) no physics engine to speak of, and was even smaller than Oblivion, which is in turn smaller than Stalker. All of which adds up to it needing less power.
Wulfur
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Wulfur »

Got the game 2 days ago and so far it is much more fun to play than I had expected. :howl:  :oo This game rocks if your looking to have some fun taking people down, very realistic which makes it a bit more fun than the normal point at things click and instant kill deal. :)
If rated 1-10 I would have to give it a 9.5
One only knows that of which they allow themselves to know.
( http://wulfur.deviantart.com/ )
Aki
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Aki »

Wulfur wrote:Got the game 2 days ago and so far it is much more fun to play than I had expected. :howl:  :oo This game rocks if your looking to have some fun taking people down, very realistic which makes it a bit more fun than the normal point at things click and instant kill deal. :)
If rated 1-10 I would have to give it a 9.5
Hehe. Yeah. Wait until you get to the ending. It's mad cool.

I figured out that 2 endings only require to do certain things near the end of the game, the other five require doing certain things as you play.
Wulfur
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Wulfur »

yea I got Greed as my first ending so far lol.
Aki
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Aki »

Wulfur wrote:yea I got Greed as my first ending so far lol.
Yeah, me too.

Funny ending. I'd say more but can't find the spoiler tags ..... where'd they go?
Wulfur
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Wulfur »

Anyone up for some multiplayer? Wouldn't mind giving it a try now that I have gotten used to most of the weapons.
Aki
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Aki »

Heh. I wouldn't mind. :D

I've yet to play MP, so it'd be a good excuse. I'm begining to exhaust the single player, heh heh. I've seen nearly all the endings (and they're all cool) and I've downloaded a few mods. Namely one that unlocks armors usually only NPCs wear (like, say, the Stalker suit with the gasmask, or the yellow/orange exosuit Freedom's elites use) and one that allows me to join Duty. We is kinda cool. There's nothing significant, other than instead of "Loner", it reads "Duty", and I got a suit from General Voronin for joining. 8)

I really wish the Arena didn't lag, though. It's so fun when it doesn't, but it's decided to and that sucks.

I really can't take on two Spetsnaz with an Obokan when the game's moving at a snail's pace.
Wulfur
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Wulfur »

lol I owned the arena with out fail :)

And for the mp you might have to remove your mods :( or it will think it may be a diffrent version.
Aki
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Aki »

Wulfur wrote:lol I owned the arena with out fail :)

And for the mp you might have to remove your mods :( or it will think it may be a diffrent version.
I don't think so... but you never know. Mods in STALKER are so clunky right now. Replacing files and editting and stuff. No SDK...

I'd own the arena if it didn't lag so much. The AI isn't too creative. And even with their fancy armor and guns, the Spetsnaz still die when you plant a round in their skull. The trick is not to catch one in the head yourself. ...or anywhere else since one has a Tunder.