Install help

What's hot, what's not. General Video Game discussion
ravaged_warrior
Legendary
Legendary

Install help

Post by ravaged_warrior »

My computer seems to be having some sort of problem where when I try to install a game, the autolauncher freaks out, doesn't respond, and closes after a couple of minutes. I did the somewhat interesting thing of directly opening up the CD and copying a folder called GAMEDATA (this is for The Phantom Menace, I'm not sure I want to screw around with my better games like that), and am currently copying that folder directly to my desktop, but I don't think that's likely to do anything. Any thoughts or ideas? Mainly I'd just like the autorun to let me install games, this is the third game it's done this with this week.

Thanks in advance.
"We used to laugh at Grandpa when he'd head off and go fishing. But we wouldn't be laughing that evening when he'd come back with some w**** he picked up in town."
-Jack Handey
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

What? NONONONO! You go into the disc, and then you click on the install or setup execution, that should allow you to install the game. I had this trouble before.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
ravaged_warrior
Legendary
Legendary

I tried that, too, and just tried it again with another game. It just puts an hourglass next to the mouse for a second and then the hourglass goes away. Thanks, though.

Any other suggestions?
"We used to laugh at Grandpa when he'd head off and go fishing. But we wouldn't be laughing that evening when he'd come back with some w**** he picked up in town."
-Jack Handey
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Well then you might have to repair your windows. Do you have your windows disc? I would try use that to repair it. that kind of problem is hard to fix by means of other ways.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Ashkin-Tyr
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: On the scotch tape of reality, third door to the left.

Post by Ashkin-Tyr »

Has this game been installed before then later uninstalled?

If that is the case, you may have to clear out your system registry of any files associated with that game. Or, go into your program files on your drive (ex: C:\Program Files) and delete the folder of the game.

If you need more clarification on what I said (not sure if I made sense or not), just ask.
Kaebora
Custom Title: Werehare In Disguise
Mood: RAR!

Post by Kaebora »

Go to the Control Panel, then go to "Add/Remove Programs". Check and see if the program you are trying to install is listed there. If it is, click the uninstall button that is next to it. If it doesn't uninstall, call the technical support number that more than likely is printed in the game's manual. They usually walk you through the steps needed to delete the program's files from the Windows Registry. (Never change the Registry without help if you don't know what you're doing.)

If the program is not listed in the "Add/Remove Programs" folder, and the setup.exe file on the CD does not work, you are having a problem with your operating system (or the Install Wizard that is linked with the OS). The only way to fix it is through a system restore. Backup your files on an external source before performing a system restore or reimaging the computer.
Lurking softly, reading your posts, loving your ideas...
-Kaebora
ravaged_warrior
Legendary
Legendary

They've definitely not been installed before. I agree that Windows is probably (well, definitely) broken. I've known about it's general brokenness for awhile, but I was hoping there was some way to still fix the installations. To clarify the extent of my computer's disrepair, I'll just point out that I can't even bring up the task manager. Unfortunately, I can't find the Windows CD so I can't repair it.

Thanks, anyway, though.
-Jack Handey
Kaebora

Post by Kaebora »

If you have a ligitamate copy of Windows, the registration number would be in there somewhere. I suggest calling Microsoft and have them send you a replacement copy of the system restore disk. They can probobly walk you though how to get the proof you need to show you have a ligit copy of Windows.
-Kaebora
ravaged_warrior
Legendary
Legendary

Kaebora wrote:If you have a ligitamate copy of Windows, the registration number would be in there somewhere. I suggest calling Microsoft and have them send you a replacement copy of the system restore disk. They can probobly walk you though how to get the proof you need to show you have a ligit copy of Windows.
I have an upgrade copy of Windows XP that I was using for a different computer (that I still, annoyingly, have not gotten working since I didn't have the Windows 98 copy that I thought I had), do you think I could use that?
-Jack Handey
Kaebora

Post by Kaebora »

Don't know. Just call Microsoft. They should have that answer.
-Kaebora
ravaged_warrior
Legendary
Legendary

Alright. Thanks for the help, Kaebora.
-Jack Handey