What would your ideal Mario or Zelda movie be like?

What's hot, what's not. General Video Game discussion
Dreamer
Legendary
Legendary

What would your ideal Mario or Zelda movie be like?

Post by Dreamer »

I mean, who would be the director, what game in the series would it be based on, ect?

My ideal Zelda movie would either be directed by Guliermo Del Toro or Peter JAckson, and it would have to be beased on either the original Zelda, Zelda: A Link to the Past or Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

My adeal MArio movie would be animated, based on the original Super Mario Bros and directed by Hayao Miyazaki. And it would have to actually be much more based on the actual game than the craptacular original Live-action SUper MArio Bros movie.

What would your ideal envisioning of these franchises on screen be?
XIV
outwarddoodles
Custom Title: I'm here! What more do you want?

Post by outwarddoodles »

I don't think I'd want a new movie made for the Mario Brothers or Zelda.

There already has been movies made for the Mario Brothers, there was an animated series, and we own a Mario Brothers movie (which, I have to say, kind of had nothing to do with the video games at all.), and it's not like the creation of these really either spurred the Mario Brothers fandom or destroyed its name -- they kind of only exist as obscure references to geeky peoples.

I believe I can recall a Zelda animated series, but I've never watched it myself.

...but would I want a new movie made of either game?

Hell no.

I have a feeling that the movie's industry's drive for the highest box office wins would probably just butcher the story line until it resembles nothing of what could happen in a Zelda game. And, it'd be incredibly difficult to please all the fans.

IE: Link's never supposed to talk.

But, would I watch it?

Hell yeah.

I think it's completely posible to see a Zelda movie existing sometime in the future (but not so much for Mario). And, personally, I'm not fully against it. I think it'd be an interesting experiance -- hard-core zelda fans bickering at each other, gamers bickering at movie goers...I have a feeling most of the bickering will be from Zelda Fans, but I'm absolutely sure there's going to be a lot of fans excited to see it. In fact, I'm sure they're all going to see it regardless -- probably making it a good idea if you're in for the box office scores.

And if it sucks, everyone's going to have forgotten about it by the next year.

I don't think Eragon ever lost any of its fanbase due to its loss of a movie.

And I do think Harry Potter had a lot to gain when their movies were such a hit.

And besides, I want to buy the sound track.
"We are not always what we seem, and hardly ever what we dream."
Dreamer
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Dreamer »

Well, by a Mario movie, I meant a real one that actually is true to the games. And, did you hear my comments on who I think should direct the Zelda movie?

And, could someone please respond to my new post in my "Need help creating a universe..." topic in creative writing?
XIV
outwarddoodles
Custom Title: I'm here! What more do you want?

Post by outwarddoodles »

Dreamer wrote:Well, by a Mario movie, I meant a real one that actually is true to the games. And, did you hear my comments on who I think should direct the Zelda movie?

And, could someone please respond to my new post in my "Need help creating a universe..." topic in creative writing?
I'm clueless on Who's who in the director/movie world.
"We are not always what we seem, and hardly ever what we dream."
Dreamer
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Dreamer »

Peter Jackson did Lord of the Rings and King Kong (the remake) and Guliermo Del Toro did Pan's LAbrynth and Hellboy
XIV
MattSullivan
Legendary
Legendary

Post by MattSullivan »

My ideal game movie would be Metroid. Hands Down. I love those adorable little squee-ing jellyfish monsters! I actually got HALFWAY through my own Metroid movie script, but never finished it! Ioughta post part of it here someday...

Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

MattSullivan wrote:My ideal game movie would be Metroid. Hands Down. I love those adorable little squee-ing jellyfish monsters! I actually got HALFWAY through my own Metroid movie script, but never finished it! Ioughta post part of it here someday...

Indeed. For some reason I have a hard time trying to figure out what to make a Legend of Zelda movie about, since there are so many story lines and versions of Link that don't all match up.

...but the Metroid series has a traceable series of events behind it all, and a primary plot line and universe with plenty of suggested but undefined patches of story that could make for a great film premise.

Samus's origins on the Planet Zebes, the death of her parents, her upbringing by a Chozo, her years of training in the galactic forces with her old commander, (who more or less returns from the dead in the fourth chapter of the main series), and her rival relationship with the species known as the "Space Pirates"...

...and how those little jellyfish creatures, which the franchise is named after, tie everything together. Everything I just described is Metroid Canon. But those stories have not been fully told. Yet.

Metroid would make an AWESOME movie, if they stuck to the cannon story arc behind Samus, The Chozo, (and the Luminoth), , Phazon, The X-Parasite, the Metroids and the Space Pirates.

(A concept which most moronic, oblivious movie directors just don't seem to understand...that the story is popular because it was GOOD before they started messing with it).
Last edited by Vuldari on Wed May 30, 2007 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
MattSullivan
Legendary
Legendary

Post by MattSullivan »

Metroid...CANON?
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

MattSullivan wrote:Metroid...CANON?

- Fictional Canon -

Yes...believe it or not, if you actually play through every Metroid game, it is not just a random scenario of a woman in a suit of armor blowing stuff up.

There is a primary plot tying it all together, just as I described it. It was only loosely mentioned in the original NES game, but began to evolve in Metroid 2: The Return of Samus, and continued on that arc in Metroid 3: Super Metroid.

More of the story was later elaborated upon in the re-make of the first game, titled Metroid: Zero Mission, and more of Samus's past, as well as her future was revealed within Metroid 4: Fusion, in which Samus herself has her body fused with Metroid DNA to save her from dying from an X-parasite infection. (DNA extracted from the very same Baby Metroid which played a pivotal role in the second and third games ... which is a species that was genetically engineered specifically to fight off the X-Parasite, but became too powerful and ultimately a greater threat than the thing they were created to destroy).

The scope of the Metroid universe was broadened by the Metroid Prime series, which introduced the substance 'Phazon' as well as other planets which were once inhabited by the Chozo race, and their cultural allies and intellectual companions, the Luminoth.

There is plenty of story there. There is no need to make one up...just fill in the blanks.
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
MattSullivan
Legendary
Legendary

Post by MattSullivan »

Canon. that's very odd. I have never once in my life heard that term used. They oughta just call it "Fiction" LOL

But yes, they actually wove the plot for METROID together nicely...A movie would do well to follow the game plot ( while taking the liberty to make it a MOVIE, and not the game. ( Apples and oranges, you know :}
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

MattSullivan wrote:Canon. that's very odd. I have never once in my life heard that term used. They oughta just call it "Fiction" LOL

But yes, they actually wove the plot for METROID together nicely...A movie would do well to follow the game plot ( while taking the liberty to make it a MOVIE, and not the game. ( Apples and oranges, you know :}
You are an author, and you've never heard the use of the term "Literary Canon" before? I find that odd, but whatever...

Yes, storytelling is done differently in a film vs. a Videogame. I would not recommend making the story primarily about her spelunking through caves to find the big, bad, boss, and then escape, but instead make it about the events you DON'T see in the videogames. Such as where she lives, who her friends are, what she does with the money she earns BOUNTY HUNTING, who she works for, etc. etc. ...and covering her origin story like I mentioned before.

Having at least a few scenes showing her do what she does best would be a no-brainer though.

Bad @ss suit of armor...arm cannon...cavernous enemy fortress...wave after wave of hostile creatures... BOOM BOOM BOOM!!!!.

...and the EPIC SuperMetroid Theme playing behind it all...

[ I have an Awesome live-orchestrated arrangement of the theme that sounds almost good enough to be in a movie on my PC, but it is copyrighted and I can't find a link to a free download of it to share, nor can I find what album it came from. (I ripped it off of Napster years ago before it was reformatted, and the MP3 lacked proper tags, or an official title.) ]

=^.^'= ~
Dreamer
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Dreamer »

Vuldari wrote: Indeed. For some reason I have a hard time trying to figure out what to make a Legend of Zelda movie about, since there are so many story lines and versions of Link that don't all match up.
Actually, I think that either the original Zelda or Ocarina of Time would both make great movies.

That, and I think that the storyline is raceable if you take into account that the series split up into two timelines after Ocarina of Time (yes, this was confirmed by Nintendo), one leading to Wind Waker, and one leading to all the other games. As for the order of the games in that other timeline I'd say: Majora's Mask, Twilight Princess, original Legend of Zelda, Adventure of Link, A Link to the Past (it's place as the latest major game in the timeline is confirmed by Nintendo), Orcale of Seasons/Oracle of Ages and finally Link's Awakening.

And I still think either Guliermo Del Toro or Peter Jackson would kick a** at making a Zelda movie.
XIV
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

None.
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Dreamer
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Dreamer »

Why? I still think that with a good enough director, cast, writer ect. and enough control over the liscence by Nintendo that it wouldn't fall into the wrong hands (EG Uwe Boll or Paul WS Anderson) it would work well.
XIV
ravaged_warrior
Legendary
Legendary

Post by ravaged_warrior »

Mario + movie = No. That is the mathematical equation of Mario movies. Just no. As for Zelda... If they followed the setup of the games, then well, no, it wouldn't work. However, if they followed the feel of the games, and made a convincing representation of it's recurring characters, it could be pretty good. I wouldn't want a version that followed one of the games' storylines, though. That really wouldn't work too well.
"We used to laugh at Grandpa when he'd head off and go fishing. But we wouldn't be laughing that evening when he'd come back with some w**** he picked up in town."
-Jack Handey
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

ravaged_warrior wrote: As for Zelda... If they followed the setup of the games, then well, no, it wouldn't work. However, if they followed the feel of the games, and made a convincing representation of it's recurring characters, it could be pretty good. I wouldn't want a version that followed one of the games' story lines, though. That really wouldn't work too well.
Actually, now that I think about it again, if you used only the character cut scenes of any of the major console games from OOT forward to Twilight Princess as the rough draft for the plot, (not considering the gameplay/footwork between key moments an accurate representation of how things happened in between), they actually work fairly well.

*Loz:OoT* Child Link left in the care of the Forest guardian, raised as a forest child, leaves to pursue his greater destiny, meets princess, learns of the shady character "Gannondorf", meets lot's of interesting people along the way, (including a fish he is unwillingly betrothed to) etc, etc...

Fill in the in-betweens with less random wandering through fields chopping grass and monsters, leave out most or all of the boss battles and add more interacting with the local population and character development, but finish roughly the same way the game did. Gannondorf destroyed the original castle and constructed a new, dark tower in it's place, (but a Real Castle, and not an incomprehensible obstacle course...with servants, bedrooms, a dining hall...the works), discovered and captured Zelda in her Sheik disguise, and after rescuing her, link and Gannondorf battle, Gannon transforms when things don't go his way, and Zelda uses her Sage/Triforce of Wisdom powers to hold him down so Link can strike the final blow. ...and link gets to finish his childhood in a world unravaged by the events of the dark future.

Happy, and very familiar, ending. YAY.

=^.^'= ~
Dreamer
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Dreamer »

ravaged_warrior wrote:Mario + movie = No. That is the mathematical equation of Mario movies. Just no.
That clip of the MArio anime looked pretty good (Yes it exists, it was only released in Japan). ANd I do think it would work if it was a nimated and had the right people working on it. The plot would probably be an expansion of the basic plot for the original game.
XIV