Ya know what pisses me off...(Mario plotlines)

What's hot, what's not. General Video Game discussion
Dreamer
Legendary
Legendary

Ya know what pisses me off...(Mario plotlines)

Post by Dreamer »

That Myamoto, the guy who practically INVENTED games with stories, now has such an aversion to giving MArio any semblance of a good plot and/or continuity. If it weren't for the RPGs, I'd scream.
XIV
Ookami-kun
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Luffs Buff Wuffs!

Post by Ookami-kun »

Mario has very little plot to begin with.
Spongy
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Indifferent

Post by Spongy »

Don't all Mario games with a plot have the same one?

Stop Bowser and save Peach.
ravaged_warrior
Legendary
Legendary

Post by ravaged_warrior »

Mario's always been about gameplay and pretty graphics (not necessarily high polygon or anything, but colorful and easy on the eyes, just check out Mario Galaxy, those graphics are awesome), a plot isn't necessary.
"We used to laugh at Grandpa when he'd head off and go fishing. But we wouldn't be laughing that evening when he'd come back with some w**** he picked up in town."
-Jack Handey
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Eletist Jerk

Post by Anubis »

Mario is one of those game franchises that need to let die in peace. Like Megaman, and Sonic the hedgehog.
THE GAME

My Armory
cumulusprotagonist
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Possessed by the Ghost of Cumulus

Post by cumulusprotagonist »

Anubis wrote:Mario is one of those game franchises that need to let die in peace. Like Megaman, and Sonic the hedgehog.
This is an opinion for I very much enjoyed Super Mario Sunshine.
Maybe I am wrong...

DO NOT CLICK ON THIS LINK!!!!!!

Photography by ___________
Photo Manipulation by Z
Dreamer
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Dreamer »

ravaged_warrior wrote:Mario's always been about gameplay and pretty graphics (not necessarily high polygon or anything, but colorful and easy on the eyes, just check out Mario Galaxy, those graphics are awesome), a plot isn't necessary.
Yeah, but wouldn't a plot make it so much better? Just look at how good the story and the writing of the RPGs is! I want that in a real Mario Platformer.
XIV
ravaged_warrior
Legendary
Legendary

Well, what about Super Paper Mario? Didn't they do that in that game? I heard the plot was very funny. I can't wait until I get a Wii so I can play it, actually. Mario's always been one of my favorite games, and I think that either Super Mario World or Super Mario All-Stars was the first game I played.
"We used to laugh at Grandpa when he'd head off and go fishing. But we wouldn't be laughing that evening when he'd come back with some w**** he picked up in town."
-Jack Handey
Dreamer
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Dreamer »

Yeah, I played it (And beat it) but I don't understand why Myamoto seems to resist giving his Mario games a good plot, or even using the character models from SMash BRos Melee and giving the game that amount of detail?
XIV
ravaged_warrior
Legendary
Legendary

I've always thought that the graphics of the standalone games tended to look better than those in Melee, though the graphics in Melee were excellent.

Again, though, I just don't see a need for a plot in a Mario game (the RPGs being the exceptions). They tried it with Sunshine and Super Paper Mario, but I haven't played enough of those games to see how good they ended up.
-Jack Handey
cumulusprotagonist
Legendary
Legendary

Super Mario RPG? SNES
Maybe I am wrong...

Photo Manipulation by Z
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: HERO OF NIGHTMARES
Additional Details: I just don't care.

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

My opinion on this issue is that good storylines are really best fit for games with pace that matches the plot. However, exceptions are still open for interpretation.

Take After Burner Climax. It didn't really need a storyline. Because the in-game pace is so overwhelmingly fast, it would just be a minor plus for the overall marks if the story is much more creative. If it's TOO creative and borders cryptic, it would distract players. This is coming from someone who spent 3 credits worth of $$$ on this game.

Soooooooo..... Um, what point am i trying to say here?
Lukas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: living

Post by Lukas »

Dreamer wrote:Yeah, I played it (And beat it) but I don't understand why Myamoto seems to resist giving his Mario games a good plot, or even using the character models from SMash BRos Melee and giving the game that amount of detail?
ever heard of a line "if it ant broke don't fix it"?
(for every afro avatar, a funky man loses his hair, please, think of undercover brother)
Dreamer
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Dreamer »

YEs, but I'm not suggesting a fix, but an upgrade. I mean, doing the asthetics in Mario's world the way Smash Bros. Melee did them would make the world that much more pretty and detailed. And a story would make things so much more interesting, and make it THAT much more aimmersive. The writing and story of the RPGs with the gameplay of the 3d platformers would kick a**! The story's tone would be serious at some times, light hearted at others.

ANd, on another note, why don't they bring back Captain SUryp (The antagonist of the first two Waro Land games)? She'd make a great antagonist/love interest for Wario.
XIV
ravaged_warrior
Legendary
Legendary

Dreamer wrote:doing the asthetics in Mario's world the way Smash Bros. Melee did them would make the world that much more pretty and detailed
I'm not sure what you mean by this. I thought that Super Mario Sunshine and the upcoming Super Mario Galaxy look much better than the Mario characters and stages in Melee.

Wait, love interest? What?
-Jack Handey
Dreamer
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Dreamer »

Well, actually I think the Mario characters, locales and items look better in Melee (And Brawl as well) because they are much more detailed.

Also, what I meant by Captain Suryp as a love intrest/antagonist was that she could be a love interest/antagonist for Wario. Because they have similar personalities and interests.
XIV
cumulusprotagonist
Legendary
Legendary

Lukas wrote:
Dreamer wrote:Yeah, I played it (And beat it) but I don't understand why Myamoto seems to resist giving his Mario games a good plot, or even using the character models from SMash BRos Melee and giving the game that amount of detail?
ever heard of a line "if it ant broke don't fix it"?
Think of mario party and mario golf...games they make instead of making more of the regular super mario games... I would rather have them make something like dreamer is suggestion than another mario sports game. Although mario party is good...
Maybe I am wrong...

Photo Manipulation by Z
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

I outgrew Nintendo after the SNES. Not because I felt "too old" for Nintendo, but because IMO Nintendo ran out of ideas from that time.
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
ravaged_warrior
Legendary
Legendary

If that's true, you missed some of Nintendo's greatest games. Ocarina of Time, Super Mario 64, Star Fox 64, Paper Mario, Metroid Prime, Super Smash Bros., Wind Waker, Goldeneye (second party game, but then again so is Prime), etc. were all great games.
-Jack Handey
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

All those games you named didn't grab my attention at all. I played it, no doubt, but I just didn't think it was very good. It wasn't bad either, but it was just not the Nintendo I liked anymore and I didn't like the direction Nintendo was heading with the release of the N64.

Also, you forgot to mention the bad games, like for instance Yoshi's Story. What a rip-off that game was, and it wasn't even a second-party game either! Blegh.
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
ravaged_warrior
Legendary
Legendary

Really? Goldeneye, Star Fox, and Ocarina of Time didn't grab your attention? Huh.

Anyway, there were plenty of bad games for Playstation and Dreamcast, too. But yeah, Yoshi's Story was crap. It was like they were trying to replicate Super Mario World 2 for the N64, but they missed what made Yoshi's Island awesome, like the general scale of it. Yoshi's Island had about twice as many levels, if not more. Most Story levels you had to unlock. Not to mention the fact that it's a boring collection-fest. Good art style couldn't save that otherwise bland and crappy Island-wannabe.
-Jack Handey
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

:? I don't even see how you can begin to compare the two. And really, it wasn't that bad.

(This of course, coming from the same person who didn't hate Jar-Jar in Star Wars...)
ravaged_warrior
Legendary
Legendary

Yoshi's Story and Yoshi's Island both had you playing as Yoshi and used the exact same controls and abilities. The problem with it was that it was too collection based and got tedious really quick. Not to mention that to get new levels you had to do even more collecting by collecting those big hearts. It was annoying to me. It could have been great, though.

As for Jar Jar, he could have been okay if he didn't have as annoying a voice and didn't fail so hard at being funny. And to be honest, I actually liked the Star Wars prequels. In fact, I like Revenge of the Sith more than Return of the Jedi. The first two were weak (especially the second one), but they were enjoyable.
-Jack Handey
Dreamer
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Dreamer »

Can you please get back on topic?
XIV