Splatterhouse Movie Ideas

What's hot, what's not. General Video Game discussion
Dreamer
Legendary
Legendary

Splatterhouse Movie Ideas

Post by Dreamer »

I was just watching a speedrun of Splatterhouse, a brawler that could be considered one of the first survival horror games (After Sweet Home of course) and I was thinking "This would make a great horror movie!"(as long as some Uwe Boll or Paul W.S. Anderson type doesn't f*** it up). Now, I know most game-to-movie translations suck, but I was wondering what your ideal version of a Splatterhouse (allong with it's 2 sequels to make it a franchise) movie? Who would direct, who would act in it, who would write it, what would the special effects be like, ect?

Post your ideas here.

For me, a great and dark scene would be that of Rick having to fight and kill his own girlfriend because she's turned into a hideous monster,

The mask acting as a character speaking as a dark voice inside Rick's head would also be a greaty idea (even though the idea wasn't introduced until the sequels).

Also., the final boss in this game would make for a badass scene.

In my opinion the special effects would also need to be puppets/makeup effects with CGI used only when absolutely necessary, the reason for this being that it would need to be as realistic-looking as possible that to retain the game's visceral effect. And I'd love to see what they'd do for the puppet of Biggy Man (the guy with the bag over his face and the two chainsaws for hands).
XIV
Dreamer
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Dreamer »

Does no one think that this game would make an awesome movie if done right?
XIV
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Ive never heard of splatter house. Id have to check up on it and come back to you to post my oppinion. :?
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Dreamer
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Dreamer »

Well, here is a speedrun of the first game to give you ideas on what the first movie in a series of Splatterhouse movies would be like:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=zJSOaaW8BOc
XIV
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

I don't know that game.
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Morkulv »

Just saw the speedrun, and if I were to make a movie out of this I would probably make something really campy and over-the-top along the lines of Slither or something.

BTW, what the hell is a 'programer' (end-credits)? :lol:
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Dreamer
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Dreamer »

Well, if I did it, I'd make it dark and serious. It is pretty dark in terms of plot and art design you know. Especially killing your own girlfriend, wom has been turned into a monster. PLus the final boss battle is pretty dark yet epic. ALso, there would be more about the mask's dark and bloody history, and how it came to West MAnsion(Where the game takes place) in the first place.
XIV
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Morkulv »

I wouldn't take it that seriously personally, but I guess I'm more into splatstick then serious slashers or something. I personally thought the final boss battle was kinda silly. But if I picture this as a movie, a movie like Freddy VS Jason comes in mind to me (and not only because of the mask).
ravaged_warrior
Legendary
Legendary

Post by ravaged_warrior »

I'm gonna agree with Morkulv. A Splatterhouse movie would need to be campy, judging by the looks of it. It can have some dark themes, like the ones you mentioned, but it's way too over-the-top to avoid campiness. Evil Dead II comes to mind as being similar in tone, and that had the main character kill his girlfriend because she turned into a monster (Randomly Sentient Mirror Ash: "We just cut up our girlfriend with a chainsaw... Does that sound 'fine'?"), and it has a giant evil monster at the end... In fact, it has two. God I love Evil Dead. Yeah, if a Splatterhouse movie were made, that'd be the way to go.

EDIT: Just got to the part where the room comes to life. This games is so Evil Dead... I'd show you, but I think YouTube removed a large portion of the Evil Dead II clips, which is too bad, the laughing room scene is awesome. Hell, that whole movie is awesome, anyone who hasn't seen it should.
"We used to laugh at Grandpa when he'd head off and go fishing. But we wouldn't be laughing that evening when he'd come back with some w**** he picked up in town."
-Jack Handey
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Morkulv »

Oohh, that mirror-scene in Evil Dead 2 was hilarious! :lol: I'm also a big Evil Dead 2 fan. I also think this would make a great splatstick-movie.

BTW; am I the only one noticing the game's engine looking very much like the one from the Street Fighter-games?
tyger
Legendary
Legendary

Post by tyger »

I downloaded the game on my Wii virtual console. It seemed like an odd Friday the 13th rippoff to me. O.o
ravaged_warrior
Legendary
Legendary

tyger wrote:I downloaded the game on my Wii virtual console. It seemed like an odd Friday the 13th rippoff to me. O.o
Nah, the only similar thing is the mask. It seems like a sendup of splatter films to me.
"We used to laugh at Grandpa when he'd head off and go fishing. But we wouldn't be laughing that evening when he'd come back with some w**** he picked up in town."
-Jack Handey
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Morkulv »

Indeed. Now that I've seen it again, it screams Evil Dead all over the place. The monsters, the living furniture...
ravaged_warrior
Legendary
Legendary

I thought so as well. By the way, you mentioned that the game's engine reminded you of Street Fighter. I think I found a better comparison... Kung Fu!
-Jack Handey
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Morkulv »

Haha. BTW, look what I found: http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=_2QLVKzoMuo

:lol:
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Morkulv »

ravaged_warrior wrote: EDIT: Just got to the part where the room comes to life. This games is so Evil Dead... I'd show you, but I think YouTube removed a large portion of the Evil Dead II clips, which is too bad, the laughing room scene is awesome. Hell, that whole movie is awesome, anyone who hasn't seen it should.
http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=TunzVTGHURE

:D
ravaged_warrior
Legendary
Legendary

Morkulv wrote:
ravaged_warrior wrote: EDIT: Just got to the part where the room comes to life. This games is so Evil Dead... I'd show you, but I think YouTube removed a large portion of the Evil Dead II clips, which is too bad, the laughing room scene is awesome. Hell, that whole movie is awesome, anyone who hasn't seen it should.
http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=TunzVTGHURE

:D
YAY!
-Jack Handey
tyger
Legendary
Legendary

Post by tyger »

wow splatterhouse looks cute all chibi-fied! :o
ravaged_warrior
Legendary
Legendary

I like that the guy was buried with a hockey mask and an ax and that the grave right next to him just happens to be evil.
-Jack Handey