Should they make a new Mario Animated TV show?

What's hot, what's not. General Video Game discussion
Dreamer
Legendary
Legendary

Should they make a new Mario Animated TV show?

Post by Dreamer »

Well, I know there was a Mario TV show in the 80's, but the Animated portion of it was much reviled. But could Nintendo do a new one and do it right?

Well, I think it would work. It could do the adventures that don't take place in the games, and It could also have some episodes focusing on Wario and his game company and on DK and the other KOngs (Since the DKC series presumably takes place in our world since MArio was in Brooklyn when he fought Cranky in the original arcade games, he would have to get there through the warp pipe).
MUst-dos for the series:
-Charles MArtinet should be voicing all the characters that he does in the games.
-Some must have villans other than Bowser in the series would be Fawful, Captain Suryp, Dimentio (too great a villain to use in only one game), Wart (much more sinister than his original incarnation, a dark god of nightmares)
-The Koopa Kids (and yes they would co-exist with Bowser Jr.) and Kameck would have to appear (Kammy could be retconned as Kameck's sister)
-Bowser would retain his personality from the RPGs
-The storyline would have Mario and Luigi being born in the Mushroom Kingdom, but sent to our world through a warp pipe because of the danger from Kameck trying to kill the babies to prevent the prophecy from happening. They then inadvertently get back to the Mushroom Kingdom through the same warp pipe.
-It would have to be 2-d Animated
-There would have to be a Sonic crossover (Presumably more epic than the upcoming game, a 2-part season finale maybe) as well as a Legend Of Zelda crossover. Since all three series presumably take palce in different universes, they would have to explain how they got into MArio's universe (or vice-versa)
XIV
ravaged_warrior
Legendary
Legendary

Post by ravaged_warrior »

They did one in the '90s as well, based on Super Mario World. I think he had a New York accent there, too, though. It actually did have the Koopa children, just renamed. Where they were born was never mentioned, but they did go through the warp pipe. You might want to check it out, it seems like it has part of what you want.
"We used to laugh at Grandpa when he'd head off and go fishing. But we wouldn't be laughing that evening when he'd come back with some w**** he picked up in town."
-Jack Handey
Dreamer
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Dreamer »

ravaged_warrior wrote:They did one in the '90s as well, based on Super Mario World. I think he had a New York accent there, too, though. It actually did have the Koopa children, just renamed. Where they were born was never mentioned, but they did go through the warp pipe. You might want to check it out, it seems like it has part of what you want.
Yes, I know that, but I was talking about a modern version, not to mention that in my version, the Koopalings would co-exist with Bowser Jr.
XIV
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Eh. . . . You know, Mario is a relic from the old 8-bit Nintendo, when games weren't even obligated to have plots, so Mario World didn't even make much sense by 80s standards. When you look at the plot and subplots from an objective perspective, the whole thing is pretty much trippy and random. . .

So the only way I could picture a Mario cartoon working would be if it had a sort of quirky random style that frequently makes fun of itself (a-la Samurai Pizza Cats). Otherwise I wouldn't expect it to do any better than its predecessors.
Dreamer
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Dreamer »

Terastas wrote:Eh. . . . You know, Mario is a relic from the old 8-bit Nintendo, when games weren't even obligated to have plots, so Mario World didn't even make much sense by 80s standards. When you look at the plot and subplots from an objective perspective, the whole thing is pretty much trippy and random. . .

So the only way I could picture a Mario cartoon working would be if it had a sort of quirky random style that frequently makes fun of itself (a-la Samurai Pizza Cats). Otherwise I wouldn't expect it to do any better than its predecessors.
Actually, I do think that the Mario TV show could work by expanding the storyline and giving the series an actual continuity that makes sense. Like I mentioned with the Koopalings co-existing with Bowser Jr. But, it also would have plenty of self parody though.
XIV
ravaged_warrior
Legendary
Legendary

The Koopalings probably could coexist with Bowser, Jr.

Except that they're dead, since Mario killed them all in Super Mario World.
"We used to laugh at Grandpa when he'd head off and go fishing. But we wouldn't be laughing that evening when he'd come back with some w**** he picked up in town."
-Jack Handey
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

NO!!!
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Dreamer
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Dreamer »

ravaged_warrior wrote:The Koopalings probably could coexist with Bowser, Jr.

No, they appeared in Yoshi's Safari and Mario and Luigi:Superstar Saga, meaning that they're not dead. Just underused.
XIV
ravaged_warrior
Legendary
Legendary

Dreamer wrote:

No, they appeared in Yoshi's Safari and Mario and Luigi:Superstar Saga, meaning that they're not dead. Just underused.
Well then there's no problem, then. Bowser, Jr. is Bowser's son, I don't think that the Koopalings are his children. They're his nieces and nephews, aren't they? I thought that was how they were described, anyway. Damn, Bowser's a terrible influence, their parents must be pissed. Not really important, though, as Mario isn't plot-heavy.

Also: Damn it, Nintendo, you do not survive being thrown into lava and being left for dead in an exploding castle! That just doesn't happen!
-Jack Handey
Dreamer
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Dreamer »

ravaged_warrior wrote:
Dreamer wrote:

Well then there's no problem, then. Bowser, Jr. is Bowser's son, I don't think that the Koopalings are his children. They're his nieces and nephews, aren't they? I thought that was how they were described, anyway. Damn, Bowser's a terrible influence, their parents must be pissed. Not really important, though, as Mario isn't plot-heavy.

Also: Damn it, Nintendo, you do not survive being thrown into lava and being left for dead in an exploding castle! That just doesn't happen!
Apparently it does, if Mario and Luigi SUperstar Saga is to be beleived. ANd I allways thought that the Koopaligns were Bowser's children with his original (Now probably dead) wife (it says in the manuals that they are his children) and that Bowser Jr. is just a clone that Bowser made of himself.

Also, like I said, the show could GIVE Mario a better plot, expanding on backstory and creating new elements.
XIV
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Don't Bowser and the koopa kids die in every game they appear in? Apart from Tennis, Golf, etc. I mean?

Mario is kinda' like Katamari Damacy: the "plot" is a complete load of random nonsense that only serves to justify it actually being a game. A constant plot line just wouldn't work.
Dreamer
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Dreamer »

Well, I think it would work. It could give characters a more fleshed-out personality (Like Bowser Jr., The Koopalings, the Wario Ware crew, ect.), give some deserving characters Bios (Wouldn't you just love to hear the bios of Fawful or Dimentio), use some dreadfully unused characters (Like the Koopalings and Captain Suryp), introduce new elements to the Mario series and do some self-parodying (Like making fun of the Super MArio Bros movie or the CDI).

And besides, some of the fans have been able to fan-wank a consistent Mario canon for themselves.

And New Super Mario Brothers probably provides the explaination for how the Koopalings and Bowser come back to life each game (If you've seen the final Boss Battle, you'll know what I mean)
XIV