Xbox360 loosing money and sales, PS3 and Wii catching up.

What's hot, what's not. General Video Game discussion
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Xbox360 loosing money and sales, PS3 and Wii catching up.

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Got this from another forum.
Nintendo's Wii, while nearly impossible to find in retail stores, sold slightly above the company's second quarter June 2007 goal of 9 million units, reaching sales of 9,270,000.
Sony's PlayStation 3 also edged slightly above its 6 million goal for Q2 by shipping 6,210,000 units to stores. There is still significant inventory left unsold in stores, which prompted Sony to cut the PS3's price in July by $100, to $499 and $599 for the two PS3 models.
Microsoft had originally set a target of 15 million Xbox 360s by the middle of 2007, but dropped that target down to 12 million. Even with lowered expectations, the company was still unable to meet its goal, having only shipped 11,600,000 units by the end of June.
For the first half of 2007, while Nintendo sold 6 million units a quarter and Sony shipped 2 million per quarter, Microsoft was only about to push out 600,000 units a quarter, in large part because the retail channel is already full of unsold Xbox 360s.

When looking at actual worldwide sales reported by manufacturers, 360 unit sales are flattening out dramatically.
Microsoft has now had two quarters of sales well behind last year's sales.
In its second year, the Xbox 360 is slipping behind every quarter in year over year sales, and not by a little. This years' Xbox 360 sales are less than half those of 2006's.
While Windows Enthusiasts like to deride PS3 sales as low, Sony's relatively high priced console is selling at identical levels to Microsoft's 360 figures from last year after its initial stumble out of the gate.
In other words, the PS3 is matching the Xbox 360's first year sales while 360 itself isn't, allowing Sony to incrementally catch up while Microsoft languishes with static sales.
In just half a year, Sony is at half of Microsoft's sales, despite the Xbox 360 having been on sale for over a year and a half. Nintendo's Wii, however, is taking off in a way that leaves both of the HD consoles behind. It appears poised to pass total sales of the 360 next month at the end of the third quarter.
My friend might be right, PS3 and Wii will probably win in the long run.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

The 360 is selling less because most people already have one. I doubt Sony and Nintendo will beat out MS. MS has far too much money to throw around.

They're not Sega, after all. Windows gains profit from the PC world as well as the Console one.
Kaebora
Custom Title: Werehare In Disguise
Mood: RAR!

Post by Kaebora »

Nintendo is saved! The only game company I've counted on since I was four years old. Here I am, twenty-one, and still lovin' my Gamecube. For awhile there it looked like they were going to go bankrupt from the losses in GC sales. Wii is becomming more and more likely to be my console of choice... if I can get a bigger TV.
Lurking softly, reading your posts, loving your ideas...
-Kaebora
wolf4life
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: booooooooooored.....

Post by wolf4life »

I think...just cause yea...that Nintendo is going to beat them all out in the long run

For one thing, they are alot more reliable

I mean yea sure I have had my PS2 for like 10 years and it still works....well ok its not that great and the Xbox...good fun!!!....for Halo

I just think Nintendo is gunna do better...just my opinion
"Es gibt nix, was es nicht gibt", translated "There's nothing which can't exist."

"Choose a good path....because you only get to choose once"-Wolf4life

"TAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!"-Gir
Timber-WoIf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Timber-WoIf »

nentendo will do better becasue its a hella-lot cheaper thatn the other two and a hella-lot more family oriented. That and the remote things are pretty original, so everyone will freak out about that too. ps3... its still new, and peopel will be buying it up for a littlw while still. Everyone who wants a 360 probibly has one by now, and,seriously, not that many people are going to buy that green 360 just becase its halo themed. heck, the only reason i bought an elite is because my brother wouldnt stop whinning till i gave him my first one.
Deviantart? Why'd I do this?
I am relentlessly agressive

Image<--- THEY PWN U
IndianaJones
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Anime/Furry/Disney Fanatic
Additional Details: I like transformations and humans being turned into animals, furries, and monsters.
Mood: Relief

Post by IndianaJones »

I already got the Nintendo Wii, so I don't have worry about it. All I need is a Xbox 360.
Disney/Disneyland fans and theme parks!
http://micechat.com/

http://steamcommunity.com/id/ZanderFox/
wolfman1991
Legendary
Legendary

Post by wolfman1991 »

I got a wii and 360. I would get a PS3 in a few months....if Sony would just get rid of blueray. Blueray died out the moment it came out and its jacking up the price. Get rid of blueray and the price becomes a lot more reasonable. I don't wanna miss FF13, Rachet and Clank, Drakes Fortune and all those good games coming in the long run but if Sony doesnt bring down that price im not getting a PS3 anytime soon.
I feel a wolf...a wolf growing inside me....getting stronger day by day.
Caine
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Caine »

Actually... BlueRay is doing fairly well and its very good for the PS3 to have it. I don't know where you are getting your statistics from, but they are wrong. Both camps are running fairly neck and neck right now, but I personally support Blueray because it can hold more, supports higher audio quality codecs and lossless formats, and can run in my Playstation 3.

Don't forget to mention that Blockbuster is only going to be supporting Blueray in the near future...
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv

Post by Morkulv »

Aki wrote:The 360 is selling less because most people already have one. I doubt Sony and Nintendo will beat out MS. MS has far too much money to throw around.

They're not Sega, after all. Windows gains profit from the PC world as well as the Console one.
I agree. Microsoft also marketed they'r XBox-stuff a lot better then Sega did in the DreamCast-time.
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
wolf4life
Legendary
Legendary

Post by wolf4life »

i liked Sega....a whole lot better then I ever liked Xbox...

no one is gunna tell which is going to do better until one actually does beat the others out

plus...if one buys out the other then, at least, 1/3 of the gaming population will be pissed
"Es gibt nix, was es nicht gibt", translated "There's nothing which can't exist."

"TAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!"-Gir
Caine
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Caine »

I have the argument to end all arguments. This is a safe link to The Escapist Magazine website and ZeroPunctuation Videogame reviews. Watch this on console wars. It's brillaint!

Warning, this video contains the F-Bomb.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/article ... le-Rundown
wolf4life
Legendary
Legendary

Post by wolf4life »

that was hilarious but i couldnt understand one word that guy was saying!

:P

so....what the guy saying is....

all the systems suck ars some how and are good some how...

???

Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv

Post by Morkulv »

wolf4life wrote:i liked Sega....a whole lot better then I ever liked Xbox...
I think the whole DreamCast sucked as a whole. Very poor games (except for SoulCaliber), poor controls, half-assed online mode...
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
wolf4life
Legendary
Legendary

Post by wolf4life »

oh...i thought you ment any of the segas...

yea the dreamcast sucked but I loved the Genisis

ravaged_warrior
Legendary
Legendary

Post by ravaged_warrior »

Poor controls? Yes. They screwed up with controller design. Badly.
Online mode? It wasn't really from an online time period, you can't really fault it for that.
Games? I've heard there's actually quite a few good ones. Soul Reaver is a pretty decent game. Shenmue is supposed to be good.

To be honest, though, I only spent forty dollars on the system, so it wouldn't take very many games on it for it to please me.
"We used to laugh at Grandpa when he'd head off and go fishing. But we wouldn't be laughing that evening when he'd come back with some w**** he picked up in town."
-Jack Handey
wolf4life
Legendary
Legendary

Post by wolf4life »

i think the only couple things wrong with any game system, is that it wont please at least like 1/4 of the gaming community. I mean sure they will like it but then some people would say, "Well I want (input game) for my (input system)!"

None of them are the greatest and I doubt anytime for awhile anyone of them is going to go farther ahead or get bought out