Ultimate Mortal Kombat

What's hot, what's not. General Video Game discussion
alphanubilus
Legendary
Legendary

Ultimate Mortal Kombat

Post by alphanubilus »

I remember the year of 1996 when I spent 54.99 on a purple skulled Sega Genesis copy of Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3. Even with its less than arcade graphics and gratting sound effects, I had the time of my life. In short I was a huge "old school" Mortal Kombat fan since I first laid my eyes on the MK1 arcade unit at a local arcade in a mall near my home. The home ports were always able to capture, albiet in a limited fashion, the excitement and bone crushing joy of flaying your best's friend over and over again. :P A good friend of mine always compared our versions as well, his SNES and my Genesis... While his always looked and sounded better, the Genesis faster gaming engine always ran smoother, but still it was rivalry bliss.

Now you can find ports of almost every Mortal Kombat game via collections and so on, but I just purchased the ultimate jewel.
Ultimate Mortal Kombat for the Nintendo DS. This IS an arcade perfect port. All the graphics, of which look arcade perfect on the LCD of the DS, and sound, crystal clear and brutal from the screams of agony to the choirs singing at the church and PIT 3 stages. The DS controls, because of the SNES/ Genesis styled lay up are breathlessly easy to master (I was pulling off old school combos within seconds, at least the ones I remembered... :P

What makes this version stand out, other than being literally arcade perfect, wifi capability, and ease of use, is the fact that you can save the actual content, such as endings, fatalities and other goodies. As an added bonus they've also added Puzzle Kombat as well, of which is addictive and fun. If you have DS you NEED to get this game. If you don't have a DS, you need to buy one and get this GAME! :D
ravaged_warrior
Legendary
Legendary

Re: Ultimate Mortal Kombat

Post by ravaged_warrior »

alphanubilus wrote:While his always looked and sounded better, the Genesis faster gaming engine always ran smoother, but still it was rivalry bliss.
The SNES had the better controller in addition to better sound and graphics. :P And go play Sparkster and tell me that the SNES had a slow processor. :wink: It's all up to programming. I don't remember my friend's MKII having slowdown, was it different for MKIII?

As for buying the game... I'm not sure. I've always liked Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter and similar games, I've lost interest in one on one fighting games. I still like them, but I'm not sure if I'd buy one. I still need to find my copy of Street Fighter Alpha Anthology and Midway Arcade Treasures 2, though.
"We used to laugh at Grandpa when he'd head off and go fishing. But we wouldn't be laughing that evening when he'd come back with some w**** he picked up in town."
-Jack Handey
alphanubilus
Legendary
Legendary

Post by alphanubilus »

SNES ran on something of a 7.5 mhz and the Genesis ran on a 12 mhz... The Genesis had a faster processor spec wise. However it coul donly produce 512 color sprites where as the SNES, if I remember my gameze right 16,000 colors. The sound processor of the SNES was also much more advanced than the Genesis, but then again the Genesis was a bit older. The SNES had true stereo, where as it took all the Genesis had just to produce synthetic stereo.