I'm considering going to the dark side!!!! (Buying a PS3)

What's hot, what's not. General Video Game discussion

Should I get a PS3?

Yes! Sell out and buy a PS3!!!
52%
No! How dare you even think about doing such a thing!!!
48%

Total votes: 21

Anubis
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Eletist Jerk

I'm considering going to the dark side!!!! (Buying a PS3)

Post by Anubis »

Lord Help me!

I've been a Xbox guy ever since i've been into gaming. Now I feel that I'm going to sell my soul to the devil by seriously considering buying a PS3!!!

I admit several games like MotorStorm, Resistance: Fall of Man, The New Ratchet and Clank game, and Eye of Judgement have peeked my intrest.

So should I sell out and buy a friggen PlayStation 3?
THE GAME

My Armory
Lukas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: living
Mood: Indifferent

Post by Lukas »

stay the course
(for every afro avatar, a funky man loses his hair, please, think of undercover brother)
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

$499 USD.

Do you have that sort of cash lying around? Do those games really interest you enough to spend the 500 bucks for the PS3 and the additional 60 for each game?

If so, go right ahead. Personally, I won't touch a PS3 because it lacks any game that seems appealing to me that isn't on another platform (such as PC, heheh) and because of the pricetag.
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

It wouldnt hurt to get another system, I see why not. Its never a good thing to be a one sided console fan. I personally can deal with any console even though my prefer choice would a 360 with its exclusives but a 70% failure rate. Console fanboys (including PC fanboys) are usually ignorant and narrow minded IMO. So I say, why not buy the PS3 if you got the budget. Figarou got both. And on top of that you can have a reliable system, that wont break down on you, you can get games you want for single player and the occasional mulitplayer for it.

On the side note:

I might get both but I want to spend about $800 on a new upgrades for my PC, so I'll probably just get one of the consoles and so far PS3 is beginning to be a winning choice for me because it doesnt BREAK DOWN EVERY YEAR!!

Another reason why Im more likely to get a PS3 is because of this:
360 may have more exclusives than the PS3.
But most of the 360 exclusives is out for PC aswell
Leaving only maybe a handful of worth while 360 exclusives.

I want a 360 because all my friends have it. But the high failure rate is really driving me away from it.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
ravaged_warrior
Legendary
Legendary

Re: I'm considering going to the dark side!!!!

Post by ravaged_warrior »

Anubis wrote:I've been a Xbox guy ever since i've been into gaming.
You've only been gaming six years (or less)?

As for getting a PS3, well, they're certainly starting to suck less. I'm personally planning on waiting a year, partly because there's not a whole lot really out just yet and partly because it's still fairly expensive. At least the cheap one is $400 now, but there seems to be something that the more expensive one has that can't be added in... I don't remember what, though. Still, at that price, it is, hardware-wise, a better deal than a 360 for the same price due to the Blu-Ray player. Software-wise I think it could use some work, but that work is currently being done.

If you got the cash, go ahead.
"We used to laugh at Grandpa when he'd head off and go fishing. But we wouldn't be laughing that evening when he'd come back with some w**** he picked up in town."
-Jack Handey
Faolan Bloodtooth
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Faolan Bloodtooth »

I have both (As well as a Wii, a DS and a PSP) :D

There are certainly advantages to either system... such as:

XBOX 360: Halo Series, MASS EFFECT (GET THIS GAME!!!), Dead Rising

Playstation 3: Ratchet And Clank Future, Resistance, Final Fantasy

But there is going to be games coming out for both systems that are good, such as:

Call Of Duty 4 (Played it and it rocked!), Devil May Cry 4 (Definately looking forward to it) and Skate

I'd say give it a go, personally speakin, the idea of not being able to play games on a particular system is ludicrous, so i remedy that :D
The Past Is Dead...
The Future Is Unborn...
The Moment Is Yours...
Midnight
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Midnight »

If you want one, and you've got the money, go for it.

You're not "selling out". You're not "selling" anything; you're "buying". Just hope that you end up enjoying the games you're getting it to play on.
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Really, really, really, really good friends

Post by Scott Gardener »

Get the 60 or 80 Gig version; the 40 lacks PS2 support, and the discontinued 20 Gig, while a fascinating collector's item from the bygone age of April or May of this year, is a bit stripped down of features. Note that the size of the hard drive is about the least important difference among the different versions of the console, since it can be replaced easily with any standard laptop SATA hard drive. For $150, a trip to Best Buy, and a screwdriver, you can turn any version into the 250 Gig PS3. Then you can post videos of your handiwork on YouTube and start all kinds of rumors about what Sony plans on doing.

I've recently started planning a return to gaming after being away from it since the Super Mario Bros. days. The PS3 is my console of choice for several reasons.

Well, the first is that I have a really, really, really, really good friend named Jason who just gave me one! He even threw in Ratchet and Clank's new one. I'm undertaking the brave quest to find a Wii for him to return the favor.

Second, already having one aside, I was planning on getting one soon as a media console. Aside from being a gaming console, it can double as a Blu-Ray player and triple as a hard-drive based audio and video storage system.

As a gaming console: People often complain about the lack of PS3 titles. What they're forgetting is the huge plethora of PS2 titles out there. You lose rumble features but gain HD upconversion. You'll want to check Sony's backwards compatibility site on a title-by-title basis, and this argument does not apply to the 40 Gig "Spiderman 3" version. Okami, by the way, plays fine on both the 60 and the 80. The arguments about its processing power per se is less meaningful, since even though by the numbers its specs rival gamers' desktops, multiplatform titles are reported as looking similar on other "lesser" systems. Still, for bragging rights, it's the most powerful gaming console on the market, unless you count a $10,000 custom Falcon Northwest Mach V desktop as a console.

As a Blu-Ray player: You know this one already; sing along. But, the fact is, it's still one of the cheapest Blu-Ray players, and it's still one of the best. Sony finally released the firmware updates that upscales regular DVDs to pseudo-high def. And, that killer specs processor does a better job than most. Even if you don't game, having a Blu-Ray player that throws in a media hard drive is pretty good, though you'll have to live with having to pay extra for a remote control, and the use of Bluetooth rather than infrared (unless you go with a third party add-on) rules out a home theater with one universal remote to rule them all.

As a media player: Replace the original hard drive with a 250 Gig model, and you can store your music and video library on it. You'll have to convert all your videos to the right format, but that's kind of true with every hard drive based media player. It plays mp3s and shows pictures, making it right there a rival to AppleTV, or perhaps a side-by-side companion to cover everything you didn't buy off iTunes.

And, a few additional notes.

I couldn't believe it when I opened the box and noticed familiar USB ports. The controllers use USB--not some weird Sony concoction specifically for the new console, that's not compatable with anything else, but plain old ordinary USB. Well, there is one thing still proprietary, and that's the included cable that converts non-HDMI output to composite video. But, the HDMI port is a regular HDMI port--heck, it's even HDMI 1.3.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Scott Gardener wrote:You lose rumble features but gain HD upconversion.
Check this out. :D

http://www.engadget.com/2007/03/13/deve ... ng-to-ps3/

oh.....another benifet, depends on how you look at it, the PS3 can warm up your room during the winter.

:jester:
Searif
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Searif »

Personally I never liked the PS systems, and most of the games never really held an interest to me. but if you really want to buy one, im not going to try and stop ya
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Scott Gardener »

True, Fig. From an eco standpoint, the PS3 is the least green, most power-hungry of the three next gen consoles. The Wii consumes very little power, and the X-Box 360 saves power by crashing and committing suicide. The PS3 reportedly is less hot than an X-Box 360, but having one on for an hour did raise the temperature in the room quite a bit. If you're concerned about global warming, be mindful of vampiric power consumption and avoid leaving it on 24-7. For that matter, just having one on heats the planet a degree or two.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Since when is Playstation the dark side? Last I checked, Playstation was first. Screw Microsoft and their XBox/Vista crap. Sony P.S. beats Microsoft B.S. any day of the week.

Seriously though, my recommendation would be to look into getting a PS3, but wait until the price comes down, or at the very least wait until the pre-Christmas insanity is over to go shopping for anything.
Lukas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lukas »

Terastas wrote:Since when is Playstation the dark side? Last I checked, Playstation was first. Screw Microsoft and their XBox/Vista crap. Sony P.S. beats Microsoft B.S. any day of the week.

Seriously though, my recommendation would be to look into getting a PS3, but wait until the price comes down, or at the very least wait until the pre-Christmas insanity is over to go shopping for anything.
lol main you are funny, neither one or the other is better, stop being such a fan boy
(for every afro avatar, a funky man loses his hair, please, think of undercover brother)
ravaged_warrior
Legendary
Legendary

Post by ravaged_warrior »

Liking one better doesn't make you a fanboy, Lukas. Don't be silly. It's saying that a system isn't any good that makes you a fanboy (though it kind of depends on the system... you aren't a fanboy if you say that the CD-i sucks).

On that note, Terastas, quit being a fanboy.
"We used to laugh at Grandpa when he'd head off and go fishing. But we wouldn't be laughing that evening when he'd come back with some w**** he picked up in town."
-Jack Handey
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

You consoletards need to be quiet! PC gaming is way better! :lol:
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Faolan Bloodtooth
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Faolan Bloodtooth »

:lol:

All you guys only choosing one of them! :D

I split my time between all my consoles and handhelds and my PC :D

My best advice: Find a friend who already has one, ask if you can try it out and see if it's to your liking :D then buy 1!
The Past Is Dead...
The Future Is Unborn...
The Moment Is Yours...
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

I voted no, because I just don't like the PS3. I own a PSOne, so I don't have anything against Sony or something, but for me there just isn't any improvement in they'r systems. The only thing that seems to change is the processor but thats just it. Even the controller stays the same (wich annoyed the hell out of me).

Why buy a expensive PS3 when you can get a fair-priced XBox 360 with a good and improved controller and (actually working) online-system? And no, I'm not a Microsoft fanboy. I also curse at Windows, but the XBox 360 is just the better console whereas the Nintendo Wii is (IMO) a failed experiment and the PS3 a rehash of the PS2 but with better hardware (you can buy a better PC from that money if you are indeed a hardware-freak).
Terastas wrote:Since when is Playstation the dark side? Last I checked, Playstation was first. Screw Microsoft and their XBox/Vista crap. Sony P.S. beats Microsoft B.S. any day of the week.
Damn, your info is bad. What connection does the XBox have with Windows Vista...? You must be one of the many of the masses who also still thinks Bill Gates is the president of Microsoft.
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Scott Gardener »

There is one additional major selling point to the PS3 over the X-Box 360, and that's reliability. The X-Box 360 is prone to suddenly dying. They've even given hardware total failure a name: the "red ring of death." By comparison, the Playstation 3 seems to have an excellent stability track record. Sony got past their disposable Walkman mindset and remembered that they were Sony again. The PS2 for that matter seems to have good staying power, though the original PlayStation from what I read was a bit buggy, sometimes only working if turned sideways or whacked a few times.

I'm a stickler for reliability. I'll spend extra on something to go with a reliable model instead of one at risk of corking off in a few months. I know, with tech gear, I don't have to worry about whether or not an external hard drive will still work ten years from now, because it'll be replaced long before then with something a hundred times more powerful. But, I want things to last as long as my need for them, especially if they're big ticket items. DVD writers--yeah, in two years, I'll be burning BD-Rs instead. Cars, that's a little different.

Game consoles are pricy enough that reliability is an important issue. And, even if you keep your receipts in alphabetized storage bins, there's always downloaded content and saved game settings--which, by the way, you can back up and copy from the PS3 via ordinary USB ports.
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

you can buy a better PC from that money if you are indeed a hardware-freak
Perhaps if you know a good buddy who knows a even better buddy who knows a guy who can get you the parts REALLY cheap.

PS3 has the best, most reliable hardware of the three. But it's also got crap for games. And You really can't buy a $500 PC that can match a PS3. If you have a decent PC you could likely upgrade it for about that much and match a PS3. But a completely new one? Nah.
Scott Gardener wrote:There is one additional major selling point to the PS3 over the X-Box 360, and that's reliability. The X-Box 360 is prone to suddenly dying. They've even given hardware total failure a name: the "red ring of death." By comparison, the Playstation 3 seems to have an excellent stability track record. Sony got past their disposable Walkman mindset and remembered that they were Sony again. The PS2 for that matter seems to have good staying power, though the original PlayStation from what I read was a bit buggy, sometimes only working if turned sideways or whacked a few times.

I'm a stickler for reliability. I'll spend extra on something to go with a reliable model instead of one at risk of corking off in a few months. I know, with tech gear, I don't have to worry about whether or not an external hard drive will still work ten years from now, because it'll be replaced long before then with something a hundred times more powerful. But, I want things to last as long as my need for them, especially if they're big ticket items. DVD writers--yeah, in two years, I'll be burning BD-Rs instead. Cars, that's a little different.

Game consoles are pricy enough that reliability is an important issue. And, even if you keep your receipts in alphabetized storage bins, there's always downloaded content and saved game settings--which, by the way, you can back up and copy from the PS3 via ordinary USB ports.
Reliability is all well and good.

But if you have, for example, the world's most reliable car in the world, but no gas, what good is it? It's a brick. A reliable brick, but a one-ton brick of metal nonetheless, no?

Same thing for the PS3. There ain't much in the way of good games for it that nothing else has.
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

The PS3 is good if you already have an up to date gaming PC, because the PC has almost every game that the 360 has, even the ones that were consider exclusive.
Image Image
Fullmoonstar
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: ...for science

Post by Fullmoonstar »

never stop dreaming. Otherwise your dreams will never come true.
Lukas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lukas »

Fullmoonstar
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: ...for science

Post by Fullmoonstar »

:lol: Ok....i see you are right.....but you know what i mean right? :lol:
never stop dreaming. Otherwise your dreams will never come true.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Just for the record, I don't own any of the three new systems yet, so don't call me a fanboy. I'm waiting for two things:

1) The prices to come down.
2) Some decent titles to come out.

Right now, the only games for the new consoles I've had even the slightest interest in were Pokemon Battle Revolution (Wii) and Viva Pinata (360). One cutesy title is not worth buying a $300 system in order to play it.

I did the same thing last time, and that's how I got the PS2. The only Gamecube titles that ever interests me were released on the system's last days, and the only good XBox games I ever saw were titles previously released on the PS2, so I went with the PS2 and don't regret it one bit. And by then, of course, the system was much cheaper than it would have been if I'd gone out and bashed in some heads during the Christmas rush.

So again, my advice is to consider a PS3, but not to commit to it until the real games come out.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Terastas wrote:Just for the record, I don't own any of the three new systems yet, so don't call me a fanboy. I'm waiting for two things:

1) The prices to come down.
2) Some decent titles to come out.

*snip*

So again, my advice is to consider a PS3, but not to commit to it until the real games come out.

You should know that prices don't actually come down. What they do is take some of the features away. :roll: Just look at the 40GB PS3.

Prices DO go down right before the next generation model comes out.

Aki wrote: Reliability is all well and good.

But if you have, for example, the world's most reliable car in the world, but no gas, what good is it? It's a brick. A reliable brick, but a one-ton brick of metal nonetheless, no?

Same thing for the PS3. There ain't much in the way of good games for it that nothing else has.
By saying that...you're making the "reliable car" absolutely useless. "No gas" means all other gas powered vehicles are useless as well. Games are slowly coming out for the PS3. That I know for sure. Also its not all that useless since the PS3 also plays Blu-Ray movies. It makes it seem as if the "reliable car" runs on other types of fuels.

One thing I hate is "Exclusives" Those are found on one system. You won't find Mario on the PC. Or Halo on the Wii. ETC. So that means the PS3 will have them as well.