Beyond Good and Evil 2 - (Semi)Officially Announced.

What's hot, what's not. General Video Game discussion
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Beyond Good and Evil 2 - (Semi)Officially Announced.

Post by Vuldari »

One of the most under appreciated games of the last generation of Consoles (and PC), "Beyond Good and Evil", is (apparently) FINALLY getting a sequel.

It was available for Every Major Home console, and yet, in spite of Rave Reviews, the game did not sell very well.

If you have not played it yet ... go buy a copy. (No matter what last/current console you have, there is a version for you, including PC) It ROCKS.

The last game ended on a Cliffhanger, and I have been eagerly waiting to see the conclusion/continuation of the story since I first completed the original (I have the GameCube version, which is identical to every version), and I waited with great frustration as dozens of far less worthy games got sequel after sequel, but BG&E lay abandoned, and most said that a sequel would never come, since the original just did not sell well enough to warrant it for Ubisoft to invest in.

I am ecstatic to learn that all of those people were wrong.

... technically, the game has not actually been announced by name ... but a teaser video of a familiar Pig and a Woman under a Sun Umbrella is clear enough of a confirmation.

For those unfamiliar with the game, (it seems there are many who never played the game, sadly), the Original game centered around a orphaned human Girl named Jade who was an amateur photographer and was raised by an Anthropomorphic Pig/Hog named Pey'J. Though you do frequently fight with a combat staff, and fly an armed hovercraft, your primary weapon in the game is a plain, ordinary Camera.

You seek out and journal all of the various animal species on the planet by photographing them, while also using your camera to expose a government conspiracy by photographing secret facilities and events and sending them to an underground newspaper where the truth is spread to the masses behind the backs of the corrupt military regime.

It was not just a brilliantly fresh idea, and a satisfying change of pace, but the game overall (with the usual low points here and there), was highly polished and well made. The characters were very colorful and memorable (and 90% anthropomorphic, I might add, intermingled with a healthy human cast as well), the story was full of twists and turns and unexpected developments, the visual/artistic style was often inspiring, and the gameplay was solid and fun.

If you are not exited about this neglected gem of a game getting an All out, Next Gen sequel, you Should be.

(The Game is only Semi-Confirmed for PC right now, but it will almost certainly show up on 360 and PS3 eventually as well. ... though sadly, it looks like the Wii just won't be able to handle this one, most likely ... though the Wii Remote is most ideal for the Camera mechanics, assuming they are making a return, so we may see if it gets it's own version with simplified graphics.)

Link to Article
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Alias
Pack Leader
Pack Leader
Custom Title: The Mysterious One

Post by Alias »

Well if it shows up for the PS3, I think I'll give it a shot; sounds like a good game.

Ubisoft produces some well-constructed games; my personal favs are...well...just about everything. Prince of Persia, Splinter Cell, etc.

But anyway, I'll have to look for the first BG&E....hopefully it won't be to hard to find.
Blue-eyes in the dark
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The doomed Chocolate lover.
Mood: Happy

Post by Blue-eyes in the dark »

It's rare now, mostly because it got fame after it's been long since released. I can't wait to pick it up for 360. ^^
Reading an distributing copies of "The Werewolf's Guide to Life: a Manuel for the newly bitten" Help, where it's needed.
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

I thought "Beyond Good and Evil" was an album by The Cult.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

It sounds like an interesting concept, which is probably why it didn't sell very well -- probably just too far from the ordinary for most gamers to handle (one of my favorite games of all time, Black & White, didn't do so well for the exact same reason). Being somewhat of a photographer myself, however, this sounds like it might be right up my alley.

I need to get back on my feet financially before I can even think of looking for the original, but once I do (*knock wood*), I'll see if I can find a copy (E-bay's usually good for used titles). Thanks for telling us about it.

Oh, and as long as we're talking about great games by Ubisoft that unfortunately went unnoticed by the gaming community at large, may I recommend Cold Fear for all the survival-horror buffs here at the Pack?
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Cold Fear and Beyond Good and Evil are games Ive been dieing to play but never had the money to buy it or never see it for sale. :)
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image