New videogames

What's hot, what's not. General Video Game discussion
lunarwolf
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Trying to run free
Additional Details: I look beyond the line of what a lot people call FACTS.... Because just because it's name MYTH..... Does not mean it does not exist.

New videogames

Post by lunarwolf »

Well we are such big fans of the werewolves. I saw this new game on tv, it's called dead space. The game well looks like it's at space (duh) and I'm not sure what the goal is (i think you have to reapair a ship or base) but you have to put you trust skills against other people (even the one's you love it said on tv) they could be your best freind or a monster (necromorph) that wants to rip your face off. http://deadspace.ea.com/Default.aspx ( mature content must be 17 or older ) this is the site if you want to know more.
Anyway I thought they make a werewolf game like this and you have to survive for a week or such. That would be scary and fun. Or be a werewolf and try to get someone to trust you or sneak up on someone and eat them.. Well this was a new game came to mind anyone else have one? :?
The truth...ha...why does it matter to you? You really don't want to know the truths I know....
Moonwatcher
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Guardian
Mood: Sad

Re: New videogames

Post by Moonwatcher »

I got the game it was suppose to be about a ship and it's crew was all killed by some sort of demon like things and you as the main character has to find out why and repair the ship kind of like doom3 but the graphics great and the game is s*** as scary( excuse my french :( )
Humans Fear The Beast Within the Wolf Because
They Do Not Understand the beast Within Themselves
Wselfwulf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Wselfwulf »

I was way too young when I first saw Event Horizon, which is pretty much what that game is based off. I heard Dead Space was fun, but not revolutionary. Most dissapointingly, I heard it was not genuinely scary with cheap thrills and cliche flickering lights.
Real humanity presents a mixture of all that is most sublime and beautiful with all that is vilest and most monstrous in the world - Mikhail Bakunin, God and The State

Nothing in life is certain except negative patient care outcomes and revenue enhancement - William Lutz
Uniform Two Six
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Uniform Two Six »

I'm playing Fable 2 on the XBox360 platform. They've got werewolves in it... Well, they've got monsters they call Balverines that look like were-pit-bulls, attack with claws, leap like spider-man, and apparently can shapeshift into human form in order to better hunt unsuspecting humans. So they only look like, act like, and are scary as hell like werewolves. But they're not werewolves... yeah, whatever Lionsgate.
:?
Moss27
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Moon Hunter
Mood: Bored

Post by Moss27 »

I'm playing Animal Crossing: City Folk that just came out yesterday. Can't really say that there are werewolves in the game, but there are talking wolves with clothes on and stand on their hind legs. XD That's close enough.

I'm so addicted to the game, I finished my first house payment yesterday. And it plays almost the same way as the Gamecube version, so I feel right at home.
"I didn't do my homework, so why am I in trouble for something I didn't do?"
Kaebora
Custom Title: Werehare In Disguise
Mood: RAR!

Post by Kaebora »

Uniform Two Six wrote:I'm playing Fable 2 on the XBox360 platform. They've got werewolves in it... Well, they've got monsters they call Balverines that look like were-pit-bulls, attack with claws, leap like spider-man, and apparently can shapeshift into human form in order to better hunt unsuspecting humans. So they only look like, act like, and are scary as hell like werewolves. But they're not werewolves... yeah, whatever Lionsgate.
:?
I liked them better in the first Fable game.
Lurking softly, reading your posts, loving your ideas...
-Kaebora
Moonwatcher
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Moonwatcher »

Hey "Moss27" have u got to the ending of Fable 2 if u have tell me what u think i too have Fable 2.
Wingman
Game Master
Game Master
Custom Title: Dastardly ne'er-do-well in search of a lickspittle

Post by Wingman »

The Dead Space movie is pretty cool, it takes place before the game, and shows what happens to the Ishimura, and provides some other details. It's pretty decent.
I haven't played the game yet, and probably are not going to, my plate is pretty full right now with Mirror's Edge, Fallout 3, Farcry 2, and Metal Gear Solid 4.
http://stevebot-7.deviantart.com/
Quod sumus hoc eritis

Aspirant writer-artist.
Wselfwulf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Wselfwulf »

How is Mirror's edge? I mean how can you not love parkour, right?
Real humanity presents a mixture of all that is most sublime and beautiful with all that is vilest and most monstrous in the world - Mikhail Bakunin, God and The State

Nothing in life is certain except negative patient care outcomes and revenue enhancement - William Lutz
Berserker
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Berserker »

I'm playing World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King. There's a whole town of werewolves in this one. (The bad guy kind.)

There's a bit of rumor that one of the new races in the next WoW expansion will be the Worgen, which are humans who were cursed and transformed into half-wolf. As a race, they would be good guys.

Moss27
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Moon Hunter
Mood: Bored

Post by Moss27 »

Berserker wrote:I'm playing World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King. There's a whole town of werewolves in this one. (The bad guy kind.)

There's a bit of rumor that one of the new races in the next WoW expansion will be the Worgen, which are humans who were cursed and transformed into half-wolf. As a race, they would be good guys.

Lol, rumors already just after the release of WotLK?

Worgens are in the Shadowfang Keep, right?
"I didn't do my homework, so why am I in trouble for something I didn't do?"
Vagrant
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Prolific Procrastinator

Post by Vagrant »

I've just picked up an excuse to play Neverwinter Nights again, in this case, the sequel's latest expansion.

That game is never going to release its grip on me, not ever. Since I uncovered Neverwinter Connections, and the joys of teaming up with fascinatingly unbalanced people through that, the addiction has taken me and not let go.

Tomorrow I'll start on the Storm of Zehir campaign with my room-mate, and I'll do a relaxed run through it with him, before looking up the usual victims on Neverwinter Connections for something entirely more serious.

It's a shame that I can't really play a werewolf in NWN2, the only were model is distinctly female and short (a female, Gnomish werewolf from NWN2's first campaign, it would feel odd playing as her). But at least I can play a Druid with scruffy hair that spends most of his time as a Dire Wolf, one whom is possessed of interesting ways of both thinking and talking. I do like my Druids, and my Druid-Bards.

(Oops, made a bit of a mess of that then when editing typos.)
Wselfwulf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Wselfwulf »

Neverwinter Nights...the first one was absolutely brilliant and the second one did not dissapoint. It adapts the D20 ruels extremely well, and NWN2 has taken many hours off me. Is storm of Zehir worth it then?

Vagrant
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vagrant »

Wselfwulf wrote:Neverwinter Nights...the first one was absolutely brilliant and the second one did not dissapoint
Especially Mask of the Betrayer, I think that was the first game in a long time that was able to have me both laugh and cry. I really wasn't happy when that one ended, and mostly because it meant that my adventures with Okku and Gann-of-dreams were over.

That's what I love about Neverwinter Nights, with the original the community told some powerful stories, and with 2 both the community and Obsidian are doing so. Obsidian were always good at stories though, that's something I could hug them for. They've never let me down when it comes to weaving a tale that I do wish to be a part of.
Wselfwulf wrote:Is storm of Zehir worth it then?
It depends on your view of worth, really. At the end of the day, it is more Neverwinter Nights, but it's also very different.

First of all, it eschews the linear storylines of Neverwinter Nights 2 and Mask of the Betrayer, instead it opts for a more open World with more choices available, allowing the player chance more to forge their own story in that World. It's very much a sandbox, and more than many-a-module I've played, it's almost perfectly suited for playing with other people.

In fact, they made some radical changes to the engine to make it more suited for multiple people approaching a campaign without a DM there. I can see many community modules actually taking advantage of this system, once everyone has had time to play it through and enjoy the new content, of course.

But right from the outset I could see how they'd gone out of their way to make it more friendly to a party of mostly human players, there are generic NPC slots there, which can be taken by a person or the player can create their own NPC with their own story with which to fill that slot. It really is better though if you have at least one other person to play it with, it's the first NWN campaign I've played to thouroughly embrace multiplayer. And because of that, in some ways it feels a lot more like pen & paper.

It wouldn't be fair to compare it to Mask of the Betrayer, because MotB was a linear storyline, and it was a really magical experience, MotB was powerful in that respect and it left me witih things that I shan't likely ever forget. But Mask of the Betrayer and the Storm of Zehir are like chalk and cheese. Mask of the Betrayer played more like Planescape: Torment, a truly brilliant storyline which adopts D20 as its basis to get things done. Whereas Storm of Zehir feels pretty much like what one would expect were one to sit down with a bunch of people for a pen & paper session.

So I look forward to it in that I'll likely enjoy creating my own stories in Zehir.

I can't really offer much more information than that though because, as I said, I haven't poked at it much. I'm waiting with it mostly until I can get my roomie a copy, which'll happen tomorrow.

Here's a review though, and it's a particularly good one that does a better job of exemplifying what Zehir is about than I have.
Wselfwulf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Wselfwulf »

That's what I love about Neverwinter Nights, with the original the community told some powerful stories
I've also heard that NWN2 has some kickass usermade modules already.
instead it opts for a more open World with more choices available, allowing the player chance more to forge their own story in that World
More RPG's should put in the hard yards to make this possible, and it's why I have such a soft spot for Arcanum, Planescape and even Baldur's Gate. Those were the golden days for me, and what started it all when I was young. Those franchises could really do with some resurrection just, as done for Fallout.
Here's a review though, and it's a particularly good one that does a better job of exemplifying what Zehir is about than I have.
I will definitely cave in time and just get it. No point passing up quality.

Berserker
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Berserker »

I have to be a critic here. Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate II are still the two best RPGs ever made, they were way ahead of the curve and I only a couple of others can come close.

With that said, I think Neverwinter Nights is actually a pretty poor RPG. It's completely linear, and it's designed in a way that makes dungeon exploring seem more like Golden Axe or Diablo than D&D. NWN is fun in an arcade-ish, "ooh I just got some new loot" kind of way, but after it's done, you're left wondering what happened to all the depth and mystery that made Baldur's Gate II so wonderful.
Berserker
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Berserker »

Moss27 wrote:
Berserker wrote:I'm playing World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King. There's a whole town of werewolves in this one. (The bad guy kind.)

Lol, rumors already just after the release of WotLK?

Worgens are in the Shadowfang Keep, right?
These rumors were out before the first expansion even. People thought the two new races would be Worgen and Blood Elves, but it turned out to be Blood Elves and Draenei.

The worgen are normally evil and corrupt, kind of the undead, but there's a specific faction with its own storyline who are not so, and the area for them is even in the game. If you look at the map, there's an entire area south of Silverpine Forest that's inaccessible, and this is speculated to be the worgen starting point.
Wselfwulf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Wselfwulf »

With that said, I think Neverwinter Nights is actually a pretty poor RPG.
I think that like most tabletop RP's that published a game the idea was that the story would unfold. So while there is no doubt I would pick Baldur's Gate over NWN, NWN implemented combat and mechanics beatifully and told a story in the process with balanced progression. The old RPG's, my golden age, often had less sound game mechanics but resounding feel and a truly memorable, lasting experience.

Moonwatcher
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Moonwatcher »

Just cause it has werewolves in the next wow i might get it
Vagrant
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vagrant »

I'm inclined to agree with you, Berserker, but only as far as the original Neverwinter Nights is concerned.

In the second game, even in the original campaign, I could see they were making progress. There was a lot of non-linear elements introduced, and you were even given a keep to manage, which could be built up to the player's specifications.

In the first expansion for Neverwinter Nights 2, they delivered a story that was linear, but it was such a powerful storyline that it had the expansion heralded by critics as the only RPG experience that could be compared to Planescape: Torment (this claim was made by sources like 1Up and Edge, so there has to be some genuine pedigree there for that to happen). It had amazing depth and profundity seeping out of every pore.

Obsidian noticed though that people weren't always into a deep storyline, and sometimes they just wanted to run around, explore, and find stuff (like tabletop D&D). So they covered that with Storm of Zehir, which is possibly the least linear D&D-based gaming experience to date.

Oh and as for the dungeon-running, there is next to none of that in Zehir because the dungeons are kept very small to retain a D&D feel, and in Betrayer they threw in a bunch of scripted bits that lead to interactions between the characters. In fact, every few battles in such a dungeon was tastefully interrupted by such an event, the areas were much smaller and less of a grindfest than the original NWN, and there were two to three such fun scripted bits per dungeon. So it really didn't feel very "Golden Axe"-like at all, to me.

So while it's fair to say that Neverwinter Nights wasn't all that clever as RPGs go, it's not at all fair to say that about NWN2. The original Neverwinter Nights was by Bioware, and I tend to find their games a bit boring, dry, needlessly linear, and without depth, despite having a great engine and toolkit. The sequal however they licensed Obsidian (who did Baldur's Gate II) for, and the experience is quite different.