Stalin vs Martians!

What's hot, what's not. General Video Game discussion
Vagrant
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Prolific Procrastinator

Stalin vs Martians!

Post by Vagrant »

Stalin vs Martians, is something I simply had to share, here.

This is too hilarious of a concept to ignore, and the site had me in stitches. This is why I'm very happy with the state of PC gaming at the moment, with indie developers picking up the slack when it comes to great game ideas and innovation (World of Goo, et al), the field is open for just about anything.

It's like it's the days of home computers again, and just about any kind of game -- regardless of how absurd -- will find its way to the shelves eventually. This is one I'm going to buy just to support the developers, check it out for yourself to see why.

And I'm not going to spoil anything either by revealing anything more in this post than this game is exactly what it says on the tin.

So, is this the future of PC gaming? Gods, I hope so.

Addendum: Now if only they'd do a Werewolves vs Vampires game, in the same vein. I wouldn't say no to marching a 50ft werewolf through Transylvania!

(Sorry vamp fans.)

Addendum II: If such a game was made, then it would most certainly need explosive-ducky armed Figarou units.
Spongy
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Indifferent

Re: Stalin vs Martians!

Post by Spongy »

This game is so silly I might just have to get it someday.
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Vagrant wrote:
So, is this the future of PC gaming? Gods, I hope so.
God I hope not, as much as I love indie developers, I still want all the great triple A games that consoles get on PC aswell, I dont want casual games controlling the market PC I like having my Mass Effect and Call of Duty thank you very much, I want there to be a balance.

On topic, this has got to be the most ludicrous idea for an RTS that people may just love it, I'll have to try out the demo myself.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Vagrant
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Prolific Procrastinator

Post by Vagrant »

You'll have to forgive me Shadow, I'm old fashioned.

See, when computers first started out (and I'm talking about home computers here, like the ZX81), the market was filled with ludicrous ideas and absurdity, they were great games, but the creative brilliance of something like Head Over Heels has been rarely seen since.

As gaming became popularised, we got more and more gaming titles that were like mainstream movies, and the more time went on, the more this became the case. The real explosion began when 3D was first introduced, and it just spiralled out of control from there.

Now it seems that consoles are mostly getting these mainstream titles instead, and the PC isn't, or the PC is getting them later. This means that usually if one wants mainstream gaming then one is going to have to buy a 360 or a PS3 (and I like my PS3), as the PC market isn't ideal for it anymore.

There has to be something to fill the gap, and there seems to be a return to the absurdity and anything-goes nature of home computing. Stalin vs the Martians couldn't have happened four or five years back for various reasons, but the way the market is shaping up today, it can.

So for me, this is a 'return to form', if you will. It means that ideas as bizarre as Creatures, Dizzy, and Head Over Heels may find their way to computers as well. That's what I'm hoping for, rather than just an explosion of casual games.
John Wolf
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Timber Wolf
Mood: Happy

Post by John Wolf »

My money is on Stalin, he was more twisted than anything that could have come from outer space.
Free Scotland/Ireland From English Tyranny 2009

Change Favours The Prepared Mind