Stupid hackers!

What's hot, what's not. General Video Game discussion
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Re: Stupid hackers!

Post by Terastas »

I don't count glitches because they were problems overlooked by the developers themselves, not direct results of any tampering by the player.

There are some game developers, however, who insist that exploiting a glitch is no different than cheating and count it among the offenses for which a player can be banned. I avoid these games like the plague, because it strikes me as an act of laziness on the part of the developers; that they would rather punish people who acknowledge the presence of a glitch than fix the glitch for themselves.

Back on hackers, I've sort of come to the conclusion that there's sort of a hacker hierarchy in terms of my tolerance for them.

1) People who hack discretely and can never be proven are hacking.
2) People who hack blatantly and admit it.
3) People who hack blatantly but insist that they're not.

I still play Gaia Online every now and then, where word has gotten around about this program called AutoFish that can quite literally fill up an entire bucket with nothing but quality catches in a matter of seconds. The only problem with using this program is that there's absolutely no mistaking anyone who is using it; they appear in the game room using an Angelic Rod+ (an item that was never officially released), plus the thought bubbles that indicate a player has something on their line never appear in the top window -- they just rattle off the "caught" indicators over and over again.

There's no "report abuse" button in the fishing game, so I usually just don't have the patience to figure out how to report AutoFishers in a roundabout way. I made exception, however, when this one guy was using the program and trying to lie to a couple of n00bs also in the room that were asking him questions about how he got the rod and how it compares to the other types. So I called him out, and what did he do? Dared me to prove it, threatened to report me as a hacker, pretty much everything except admit that he was cheating.

So I copy-pasted the entire conversation onto the message board as part of a thread petitioning Gaia to update the fishing game with a "report abuse" feature.

So I have a new policy when it comes to hackers:
1) If I can't tell, I don't care.
2) If I can tell, they have to confess to it.
3) If I can tell and they don't confess: NO MERCY!!!
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Terastas wrote:I don't count glitches because they were problems overlooked by the developers themselves, not direct results of any tampering by the player.
one thing I like about today's consoles is that it offers firmware updates to fix that glitch. Sony's firmware updates makes the game load better. Or operate better on the console.

Burnout Paradice has had several firmware/software updates since launch.
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

Heh, nice example:

I tried doing that glitch in Call of Duty: World at War's Nazi-zombies, where you jump in a wall and the zombies can't reach you. It didn't work anymore because the wall just bounces you back now. :lol: I guess they fixed that too.
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.