Stupid hackers!

What's hot, what's not. General Video Game discussion
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Stupid hackers!

Post by Figarou »

I really hate it when video games are hacked. Sure, it's nice to have infinite lives. Or to play as a boss character. Or make the character jump higher, etc. I seen stuff in the past that can do this on the older consoles.

It's now at the point where they can bring the modified character online. I was playing SSB Brawl online the other day. When the online game started, I noticed Wario was in his Super Smash form. WTF? He was untouchable. Good thing that player was just goofing around. He could've won easy. The next match, he started with Giga Bowser. Talk about being a "show off." After 4 rounds of goofing around with this guy, my Wii froze up. I managed to save matches as replays.

I like the free online gaming access so I can play Brawl with others. But these hackers are pissing me off with their modified crap! Stop bringing your crap online! :x
wolfward
Legendary
Legendary
Additional Details: Therian and you'll never stop me.
Mood: Angry

Re: Stupid hackers!

Post by wolfward »

It's not just on the wii, you get hackers everywhere, even on x-box live. War rock is the worst place to go though if you are trying to avoid hackers though, just to let you know. I do hate them, and the worst part is how they spoil the game for everyone else. Why can't they play the game for real??? My theory is, that they suck at it, and therefor have nothing better to do than annoy every one else. Any other theories?
Therian(The Animal Inside)
Why do people say they care?
And never ask of your despair?
Why do people say they know?
Then off the cliff and down they go.
Why do people think they're glad?
When deep down inside they're truely sad?
Why am I the only one who sees?
I guess that no one else believes. :(

by Me
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

wolfward wrote:Any other theories?
I can think of a few.

Game hackers hack because....."they can." After hacking the console or game...they become "show offs" by placing videos on Youtube then posting the info at gaming forums. That in return gives them lots of "attention." They also "show off" while playing online if its possible.

"Oh look!! My Wii can play copied games, DVDs, MP3s, video files, and has all of the emulators!!"

Or they'll show off a high score that's impossible to get. Do a move that's impossible to do......and so on.

:roll:
Wingman
Game Master
Game Master
Custom Title: Dastardly ne'er-do-well in search of a lickspittle

Post by Wingman »

Well, I know after a while I usually do it because I'm bored with the game, but 99% of those games are single player, in fact Diablo 2 is the only one where any of them carry over into multiplayer at all.

The funny thing is that I've gotten banned from a few games, Battlefield 2142 most recently, for "hacking", which was really just luck and skill. I nearly got reported on Halo 2 when I hijacked one of those plane things in midair by jumping a warhog off a building.

For some people, it's a "might as well, everyone else is doing it" scenario when they think that everyone else is hacking, which is usually just them sucking, or playing with an experienced group. A lot of people don't have the patience to replay and research in order to develop actual skill with the game, so they take "shortcuts".

Though, on the whole my not-quite-legit antics are saved for single player.
http://stevebot-7.deviantart.com/
Quod sumus hoc eritis

Aspirant writer-artist.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

When it comes to home gaming, I usually say "it's their own gaming experience, if they want to ruin it, let em.'"

It's when they take it online and start ruing other peoples' gaming experiences as well that I take offense.

Half the time they're not even shy about it either. They either claim to be legit but do little to nothing to make it look so (a hacker on PBR, for example, might have his entire team in Master Balls), or they freely admit it and hack as blatantly and as unfairly as the original game's design will allow (like the infamous Spiritomb with Wonder Guard).

Either way, it sucks all the fun out of their own gaming experience leaving them with absolutely no way to amuse themselves except to ruin the gaming experiences of everyone they meet online. Hackers are the emos of the gaming world.
Berserker
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Berserker »

Ahhhh maphack... the most fun I ever had with Diablo 2. :(
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

Wingman wrote:Well, I know after a while I usually do it because I'm bored with the game, but 99% of those games are single player, in fact Diablo 2 is the only one where any of them carry over into multiplayer at all.
*nods* That's the kind I can forgive. Like I said, it's your gaming experience to do what you want with.

The only other kind I can tolerate is if it's subtle, or at the very least, that it doesn't directly affect the gaming experience of the other online gamers. I'll take this as an opportunity to confess, for example, that I used an Action Replay in Pokemon Diamond to acquire pokemon excluded from the title, namely the Pear-specific species and the starters of the three previous generations. I don't use the ones I cheated to acquire though; I intentionally caught all females of all the species in question, the offspring of which are 100% legitimate.

And the only reason I did it that way was because it was cheaper to buy the Action Replay than all the other titles to trade them from and an extra DS with which to trade them. Something like that, or anything else that doesn't explicitly put any other gamers at a disadvantage, I think should be tolerated.

My basic rule of thumb: If I can't tell someone is hacking or has hacked, I don't accuse them of it. I know it happens; it's only when its right there being rubbed in my face that it seriously pisses me off.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Wingman wrote:
For some people, it's a "might as well, everyone else is doing it" scenario when they think that everyone else is hacking, which is usually just them sucking, or playing with an experienced group. A lot of people don't have the patience to replay and research in order to develop actual skill with the game, so they take "shortcuts".
I came across some skilled players in SSB Brawl. They did some moves that's hard to believe. 2 can play that game!! I'm a bit skilled as well!!

Take a look at one of my skilled moves with Yoshi!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BobpPI1PxSw

I call that my "Big Trouble in Little China" moment. :jester:

Oh....I came across that hacker again. He started out with "Super Wario" Or "Wario-man." I closed my game 3 seconds into it. I will no longer tolerate crap like that. I don't care if it pisses them off if they lose the connection because of me leaving. Piss on them!! :x
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

Wingman wrote:For some people, it's a "might as well, everyone else is doing it" scenario when they think that everyone else is hacking, which is usually just them sucking, or playing with an experienced group. A lot of people don't have the patience to replay and research in order to develop actual skill with the game, so they take "shortcuts".
*nods* It's easy to get stuck with that kind of mindset. A lot of people do hack, and in certain games, the evidence will be right there in front of you (such as the case of Figarou's nemesis). Unfortunately, there are a lot of people that only think the game is fun if they can win easily.

Sometimes they can be entertaining to play against because, by taking those "shortcuts," they prevent themselves from developing any actual skill of their own, effectively turning them into nothing more than ham-fisted, highly predictable dullards, but in the case of Figarou's nemesis, who overpowered himself beyond all logic, I'd say the pulling of the plug was absolutely the best course of action. If someone wants so badly to win that they don't care who knows they've been hacking and how obvious it is, the best remedy would be to deny them the gaming experience altogether.

He's probably laughing on his end because' "haha he didn't fite me cuz i rule and he suks," but if enough people pull the plug on his gaming experience as often and as fast as Figarou did, eventually he'll start getting upset because nobody wants to play with him (or at least nobody except the other hackers that only ever play in super form).
Vagrant
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Prolific Procrastinator

Post by Vagrant »

The problem with some online services is that the people who host them don't bother to put preventative cheating measures in place, you'll see no cheating in Team Fortress 2 or Resistance 2, for example, but you will on Halo and SSB.

The reason why is because it's easy to check the status of memory, to put 'multiplayer restrictions' in place, and to do checks, and to disallow players to connect if there are problems. For example, if a game checks to see whether it can change its ammo variable before connecting and finds that it can't, then it can disconnect the player before they even get to the service. They can also put restrictions in so that the player can only have certain forms and equipment.

Basically, there should be a check to see if a player will automatically be Giga Bowser in Brawl itself, and if that's the case then the player should be disconnected. Another method is to check for 'known altered addresses' (simply hoover up cheat device codes, and check the memory addresses of those for tampering) and disconnecting the player if they find tampering.

This is part to do with the architecture of the machine, but mostly to do with what the developers choose to do, and unfortunately a lot of developers and console manufacturers simply don't care about cheating. Unlike the PC, where you have systems like PunkBuster and Steam, which have loads of anti-cheating methods in place, apparently on consoles it's not seen as as much of a threat.

As an example of this, I once tested Mario Kart DS with infinite boosters, just out of nerdy curiosity, and I rebooted the DS (an automatic loss on my record) before I reached the finish line, but I could've gone over the line without any repercussions.

There is the theory that hackers can get reported, but with a network like Nintendo's, nothing ever seems to get done. All that we could really do is lobby for Nintendo to include checking methods in their firmware that other developers could use to include anti-cheating systems in newer games.

It's going to be fun to see how guano crazy The Conduit's deathmatch is going to be. Metroid Prime: Hunters was crazy with the people who cheated... some of the things I saw whilst deathmatching there... eesh.

But yes, this is down to the console manufacturers and the developers to fix. There's a rule: If someone can do something, they will do it, unless there's enough of a negative incentive not to, or unless it's impossible.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Vagrant wrote:
There is the theory that hackers can get reported, but with a network like Nintendo's, nothing ever seems to get done. All that we could really do is lobby for Nintendo to include checking methods in their firmware that other developers could use to include anti-cheating systems in newer games.
Before I downloaded the latest firmware for my Wii, I remember reading about the checking method for illegal saves on the Wii. It said...."Such saves will be removed." But its only good if the save is on the Wii. I bet these hackers has everything on the SD card. That way the firmware can't find it since you can remove the SD card.

There's one method that'll prevent you from using someone else's save on the PS3. And that's signing in. If the name on the save doesn't match the name when you sign in, then that save is useless. Nintendo should start doing that.

If Nintendo decides to beef up their network to include checking methods for hacks,it probably wouldn't be free anymore. I'll pay if they can also fix the lag.

I also noticed its getting more difficult to connect with other players in Brawl. I think its due to all of hackers putting so much junk in the network. Like I said in the 1st post, my Wii froze up when I stayed with that hacker. I guess its preventing people from making a good connection to other players.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

They just keep getting worse. Finding new hacks to make the game not worth playing anymore.

I picked Yoshi in SSB Brawl as usual and waited for the game to start. When it did, I spotted player 2 as Wario man again. Player 3 and 4 was just plain Wario. And to my surprise, I'm also Wario!

WTF? :?

I disconnected right away. :x

I have the feeling the knock out ratio will be hacked next. He'll probably knock people out at low percentages instead of building it up 1st. Sort of like using the baseball bat on someone with 0%.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

Was this the exact same guy? ??

If it was, it's honestly starting to sound like his greatest thrill isn't playing the game, but rather instead is showing off his skill at hacking. You're right; he probably will get around to screwing with your percentages at the start.

In which case I say again: keep disconnecting on him as soon as you see him. Sooner or later he'll either get bored of never getting to use his hacks or hack so blatantly that Nintendo finally will bring the hammer down on him.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Terastas wrote:Was this the exact same guy? ??
If he didn't share his findings with anyone else, then yes, it's the same guy.

But since you play anonymously with people you don't know, its hard to tell if it IS the same guy.
Terastas wrote:If it was, it's honestly starting to sound like his greatest thrill isn't playing the game, but rather instead is showing off his skill at hacking. You're right; he probably will get around to screwing with your percentages at the start.
Its possible that he's good at playing the game as well as hacking into it. As for any new hacks, the one I'd like to see is Yoshi swallowing the character........Kirby...for example. Yoshi then lays an egg afterwards. When the character pops out of the egg, its another Yoshi!! :lol:

Terastas wrote:In which case I say again: keep disconnecting on him as soon as you see him. Sooner or later he'll either get bored of never getting to use his hacks or hack so blatantly that Nintendo finally will bring the hammer down on him.
He probably got disconnected many times. So I'm guessing he uses a different approach. He looks for "friendlies." Its people who don't want to fight. They "show off" what they know instead. I bumped into friendlies many times. I like hanging around with them cause I can learn something. When a hacker finds them, he becomes "Wario man" in the next match. They goof around instead of fighting. But some people wants to fight. I bet they disconnect if they see that hack. They also disconnect if they bump into friendlies cause they'll team up and it'll be a 3 on 1 match. Some are good enough to take on all 3. Heh...I managed to win a 3 on 1 match. (I was the "1") :howl:  :oo

If these hackers go deeper into Wii console, then I'm afraid to purchase any more games online. I used my credit card the last time I bought a "down loadable" game from the Wii store.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

This is exactly how I feel about these hackers!!

IndianaJones
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Anime/Furry/Disney Fanatic
Additional Details: I like transformations and humans being turned into animals, furries, and monsters.
Mood: Relief

Post by IndianaJones »

Poor Yoshi. Stupid fat plumber, he will get what he deserves later on in his levels.
Disney/Disneyland fans and theme parks!
http://micechat.com/

http://steamcommunity.com/id/ZanderFox/
WolfeGuardian
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Guardian
Additional Details: Guardian the moon pale wolf with golden flaming eyes never to be tamed,
Mood: RAR!
Location: The Dark comforting forests that welcome my presence...

Post by WolfeGuardian »

I'm glad to see more then me agree lol seriously though hackers can be very aggravating especially if any one out there plays WolfTeam I mean sure is funny at first until your gettting shot at from the air or from the walls besides that hackers are everywhere indeed no way to escape it sadly
“Doubt that the stars are fire, doubt that the sun doth move, doubt truth to be a liar, but never doubt I love.”

Licantrox
Pack Leader
Pack Leader
Custom Title: Licantrox
Mood: Happy

Post by Licantrox »

Hackers! I don't like them too. I use to play Wolf-Team, in some matches you find inmortal werewolves, or infinite bullets... That breaks a good match. You will loose if a hacker plays with you... There are a lot of hackers in free on-line videogames, but in games like Race Driver GRID I haven't seen a hacker. It depens.
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv

Post by Morkulv »

I hacked once in Counter-Strike but thats because I was really bored and the people were annoying. It got my account banned so I guess I got what I deserved. :P But I was going to buy Counter-Strike: Source anyway.

A friend of mine has hacks for Counter-Strike: Source but he only hacks against hackers, so thats a good thing. Overall I haven't cheated or hacked in games for years I think. It gets old.
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Thunderclaw
Game Master
Game Master
Custom Title: Lycan Lord of Thunder

Post by Thunderclaw »

I'm going to go through my quick definition of in-game hacks, and online hacks

In-game hacks: Something fun to do in the instance where you have completed the game, and just looking for something else to do on it

Online hacks: A bunch of people who are completely useless at games, and find ways to make themselves superpowered to try and overcome their weakness.

I enjoy games online. It gives you an extra opportunity for gameplay after completing the game, but hackers just burn me up. Why make yourself invincible online? All it's doing is annoying others, making yourself look weak, even if you are a decent player without hacks, it spoils the game for everyone else. I'd rather lose to an honest player than a hacker who makes themself look like god compared to the rest.

Summary: keep hacks to single-player games. Leave them out of multiplayer.

P.S. Couldn't agree with you more, Wolfward. War Rock is more like Cheat Central, or Gods vs. Ants.

http://www.youtube.com/user/SurgeAquos

Thunderclaw:
One wolf, One purpose, One life

Surge Aquos:
True power, no emotion

Dusten Aquos:
Impatient, unlucky, or is he?
alphanubilus
Legendary
Legendary

Post by alphanubilus »

This is why I subscribe to Xbox Live... Of course the only game I play is Street Fighter IV, but it is pretty sweet. I get beat a lot, but it is due to players really being that experienced, as you can tell by their ranking and their number of skill points. Just like Fig, I'd hate to play a game where a person purposely uber modifies their character so that they are undefeatible. The purpose of playing another person is to test your own skills. It is MUCH more pleasurable, to me, to beat somebody that is really good, because you've improved your skill level, not because you cheated.

To me, "cheating" in a multiplayer game sort of defeats the purpose. How can it be fun to beat somebody when you KNOW that you really don't have the skill level to do that. That could just be me.

Besides, Chung-Li always kicks butt! She could kick Yoshi's butt too!

:lol:
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Eletist Jerk

Post by Anubis »

Hello, you must be new here welcome to online gaming.

Yeah, it's a problem especially on the PCs. In World of Warcraft we have gold farmers glitching the game so they can farm ore from underneath the map.
THE GAME

My Armory
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

I can see how this would make the games really irritating. I'm not currently a gamer, though, so I haven't experienced this firsthand.
Silent Hunter
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: PACK IS CREDIT TO TEAM!
Mood: Ruthless

Post by Silent Hunter »

Anubis wrote:Hello, you must be new here welcome to online gaming.

Yeah, it's a problem especially on the PCs. In World of Warcraft we have gold farmers glitching the game so they can farm ore from underneath the map.
Or EVE ISK sellers which flooded most of the system chats. Though in that game you could mostly scam the stupid people put of their money. :wink:

Also do you guys consider using an exploit or a glitch in the game as cheating (edge hogging, wavedashing etc)
"Religion and politics
Often make some people
Lose all perspective and
Give way to ranting and raving and
Carrying on like emotional children.
They either refuse to discuss it with reason,
Or else they prefer argumentum ad hominem,
Which is a hell of a way to conduct a discussion."
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Silent Hunter wrote:
Also do you guys consider using an exploit or a glitch in the game as cheating (edge hogging, wavedashing etc)
Some of those move can be considered as "tricks." Glitches can sometimes cause the game to crash/freeze. Or make your character get stuck somewhere. (like inside a wall) I found a few glitches in Super Smash bros Brawl. It doesn't help you win the match. It's an annoying glitch which has no purpose. I did it online and now everyone knows how to do it.