What's hot, what's not. General Video Game discussion
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Duke Nukem Forever cancelled

Post by Morkulv »

Well, its not official yet, but 3D Realms got sued by Take 2 and therefore they lost most of the staff that was working on Duke Nukem Forever so its very unlikely that the game is ever coming out.

One of the people who worked on DNF published this movie:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRnv_tFKStQ

A very funny 'review' of DNF explains it very well I think:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/ ... em-Forever

The official 3D Realms site just says 'Goodbye' with a picture of all the people who work(ed) there.

RIP - Duke Nukem Forever
Hail to the king baby!
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Re: Duke Nukem Forever cancelled

Post by Kzinistzerg »

Yes, because we are surprised that Duke Nukem Forever isn't coming out... It's been in development hell for years.

Interesting that someone finally put it out of its misery, though.
Wselfwulf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Wselfwulf »

Hahahaha. Ah, well there goes that.
Real humanity presents a mixture of all that is most sublime and beautiful with all that is vilest and most monstrous in the world - Mikhail Bakunin, God and The State

Nothing in life is certain except negative patient care outcomes and revenue enhancement - William Lutz
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

Bit of old news. Before this 3D Realms claimed to be shutting down. Then it said "Oops, not really" and didn't and meanwhile Take Two was getting pissed and decided to sue them.

Regardless, it's still pretty sucky. It'd have been nice for DNF to get made and see Duke have his last Hurrah.
Vagrant
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Prolific Procrastinator

Post by Vagrant »

There's one obvious point that's being missed here, though.

Duke Nukem Forever is, in fact, not dead.

Take Two are suing 3D Realms, yes, but in order to get their hands on the source code and various related media, they also want 3D Realms to remain tight-lipped about DNF. The only reason I can think of for this is that once they have the related resources, they're going to give DNF to one of their competent development houses.

So don't write it off just yet, the saga of Duke Nukem Forever still has some time to it, and like Samurai Jack, the story... continues.
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Morkulv »

Aki wrote:Bit of old news. Before this 3D Realms claimed to be shutting down. Then it said "Oops, not really" and didn't and meanwhile Take Two was getting pissed and decided to sue them.
Yeah, sorry. :P But I couldn't find a topic about it and what is a forum without a Duke Nukem Forever topic huh? :D
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Wingman
Game Master
Game Master
Custom Title: Dastardly ne'er-do-well in search of a lickspittle

Post by Wingman »

This club is closed FOREVER?

I don't really care about Duke, and haven't done so since my days when I was 13 and thought my friend, at the time, was the coolest kid on the block because his mom let us play the game.
http://stevebot-7.deviantart.com/
Quod sumus hoc eritis

Aspirant writer-artist.
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Morkulv »

I always liked Duke Nukem. I played Duke Nukem 1 during breaks on school, I played Duke Nukem 2 on my friend's 386 computer, and I played Duke Nukem 3D when it was released on my parents' "all new" Windows 95 machine.

I think its the developer's fault that they basically screwed up Duke Nukem Forever though. Yeah sure, 3D Realms is not dead and will be functioning as a smaller company, but what good is that if the whole team that used to work on the game is gone? Let's say I'll be really surprised if Duke Nukem Forever is going to see the light of day in the future, if it hasn't been leaked to the internet by then already.