World of Warcraft... playable werewolves?!

What's hot, what's not. General Video Game discussion
Berserker
Legendary
Legendary

Re: World of Warcraft... playable werewolves?!

Post by Berserker »

Chris wrote:
Berserker wrote:There are already Worgen in the game who are basically monsters. I'm pretty sure the cursed population of this nation retreated into isolation and hid themselves behind a giant wall, so they're still cursed and are werewolves, but they haven't been fully corrupted yet and can still maintain their humanity. They basically just cut themselves off from the evil influence that was affecting them.

Besides, that's part of the storyline when you create a Worgen character. The first chunk of the game is back story about how you and your city were all normal humans, who became cursed to transform into werewolves. A major dynamic of the Worgen is the idea that they are afraid of the beast within. I'm guessing that once the wall finally breaks and you venture out into the world, you realize that your people haven't quite become monsters after all, and can use your abilities--however vicious they may seem--for a greater good.
That sounds quite interesting. If only it wasn't for that monthly fee...
Whatever floats your boat. I figure, well, I can blow $15 a month on a couple of beers at the pub and a trip to Burger King, or I can spend it on something that I enjoy playing every day. The constant content updates, customer service and whatnot makes it worth it for me. :)
Berserker
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Berserker »

Just caught a glimpse of female worgen concept art:

Vagrant
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Prolific Procrastinator

Post by Vagrant »

Has anyone posted this?

[ Dude Where's my Worgen Blog ]

Anyway, the reason all this has happened is because World of Warcraft has finally seen the back of Jeff "Togle" Kaplan, a man who's always obsessed over pushing for high-level contents and raids. And now that the Kaplan has moved onto Blizzard's next MMO, it's not at all surprising to me that they're finally creating new low-level content and moving away from hardcore raiding.

In other words, World of Warcraft is speedily gravitating back towards the feel it had in beta and the early 1.x releases. I actually liked that version because it was less about heavy grinding, less about epic raids (I hate thee, epic raids), and more about small raid instances (5-mans) and having fun with friends. It was more about being silly.

There are many indicators that it's on the way back towards that, a less serious game, a more fun game, a game that is accessible that the majority can enjoy. With other MMOs (especially Lord of the Rings Online) snapping up large portions of what were once World of Warcraft subscribers, it was time for Blizzard to re-assess what they were doing with their project.

So hooray for Kaplan getting reassigned.

Now we're getting Werewolves, and Goblins who can rocket-jump (yes, seriously). The Druids finally have their new forms (something that under Kaplan-reign they could never devote enough resources towards) and even better...

Worgen can be Druids and they're going to have their own, unique shapeshift forms.

What does this mean?

You'll have a creature who can adopt the following forms...

- Human (cosmetic form).
- Gestalt werewolf (combat form, magical).
- Nonmorphic bear (combat form, defensive).
- Nonmorphic big-cat (combat form, offensive).
- Nonmorphic fast-cat (land travel form, like a cheetah).
- Nonmorphic seal (water travel form).
- Nonmorphic birds (flight forms).

But what of those seals and birds that look distinctly Night-Elven and have forever? Well, the World of Warcraft team have said that in Cataclysm all of those forms will be unique to all of their respective races, too.

So the Worgen won't be forced to swim around as a long-eared seal.

All of this might just be enough to pique my interest in this game again, a game which has been going to hell ever since it took up the mantle of Hardcore Raiders Only.

Goodbye, Kaplan. You won't be missed.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Oh god. . . That looks so awesome. . . No! No, don't look! Look at the figures on your bank account instead!

*sigh* God help me if they ever come out with a catlike race. I'll be as good as gone when that happens.
Chris wrote:Something I don't quite understand, the Worgen bio says "transforming ordinary men and women into ravenous, feral creatures." Yet, according to this chart, they are good guys and can be priests, mages, and warlocks?

I don't much mind what they are, as I won't be paying a monthly fee just to play the game (might try a free trial demo, though), it just seems their bio doesn't fit with what they are in-game.
My guess is that there will be some sort of backstory that will explain why the PC worgen differ from the monsters. Sort of like what they did for the undead.
Vagrant
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vagrant »

@Terastas

The Trolls of Zul'Aman could assume a gestalt Tiger form, and in Cataclysm the Trolls are getting the Druid class. And oh look, the Druid class has a feline attack form which is unique to each race.

I wonder...

@Chris/Terastas [Potential Spoilers]

The idea is that the Worgen disease/curse wasn't always an evil thing, it was at one time potentially a gift.

There was a bunch of humans holed up behind a great wall in the Warcraft Universe, which protected them from the Scourge (ebil undead guys) invasion. Yet when the cataclysm occurred, the wall fell and they knew it would only be a matter of time until they were struck upon by both the Scourge and the Forsaken (the Forsaken being previous Scourge who regained a portion of their former selves).

There was a Dalaran wizzzard in Gilneas, and borne of desperation he reached out with his magicks and tried to call upon something which could help them fight back against this onslaught, but what he called down was a bit of a surprise to him really, it was the the Worgen gift/curse/disease. This changed them, but it didn't make them the same kind of Worgen as those Arugal controls.

They became more feral and untamed, more tribal, but they didn't become evil, they were just unchained, and for a time they felt like it was an evil because of these wild instincts they had welling up inside them. The Night Elves reached out to them though, and they can be Druids (Druiuds being the nicest people in the game), so they're clearly not evil.

What Blizzard hinted at in a recent panel talk is something I've covered in the first paragraph: They said that the people of Gilneas are trying to understand the nature of their new identity, and where it came from, but they said it's perhaps not so much a question of where, but when. So apparently something happened to corrupt what the Worgen gift originally was. Hence their confusion over it, and why they thought they too might've become evil and lost all that made them human at first.

The Worgen today look like a more unchained version of the Tauren, and they can freely shift between human and Worgen forms. So at the end of the day, they're definitely Worgen but they're not the same kind of Worgen that Arugal has under his thumb. The whole time-travel thing and stuff that happens across various timelines has been a part of the World of Warcraft for a while now, partly due to the Chrome Dragonflight, who're basically the Keepers of Time, they make sure that the timeline goes as it should, and that no one tampers with it.

This might also mean that there'll be an instance for the Worgen in the Caverns of Time, but that much is purely speculation on my part. Most of this isn't speculation though, most of it is either covered in the lore or was mentioned at the Blizzard panel in BlizzCon.

So that's their story, Dalaran wizzzard calls upon crazy magicks, rips open a timehole through which the Worgen gift/curse comes, and lo, different Worgen.
Vagrant
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vagrant »

I just had an interesting train of thought, it weent something like this...
  • There's something odd about these Worgen, though.
  • They look rather front heavy.
  • They don''t have tails! D:
  • ...well crap...
  • They have no counter-balance, that's why they look front heavy.
  • Blizzard will probably add tails.
  • But what if they don't? D:
  • The usual worgen don't have tails...
  • But they have a different build, they're more human, less front heavy.
  • Hmm...
  • Say, I remember model switching...
  • When they removed Mr. Crazy* from the game, wasn't there a model swap mod to bring him back?
  • And then there are Andrige's Druid forms...
  • :D
Then I was happy again, because even if Blizzard don't add tails to the Worgen then it's going to be pretty easy to mod and replace the original Worgens, adding a non-solid tail to their model behind them. There have been model-edits since the begnning of time, and Blizzard never seems to ban the benign (cosmetic) ones.

The great thing about this is that if such a model-edit happened, it wouldn't just give the player a tail, it would give all playable Worgen tails, which would pretty much solve the only aesthetic issue I have with the Worgen. I mean, the Wolf people in Vanguard looked pretty silly without tails, but the Worgen would be bizarre considering their apparent front heaviness.

But even in a worst case scenario, a modder is bound to take up the job of giving Worgen tails, so I'm happy whether Blizzard adds 'em or not.

---

* Mr. Crazy: Originally the Horde Shamans had one totem that was not like the other three, it was actually one of the voodoo totems the Troll used. It was amazingly awesome because it looked like it had a really crazy, but happy, face painted on it. Then Blizzard decided to take it away.

Soon after, a mod was created that swapped all of the totems of Horde shamans for the voodoo totems, and this was fantastic because the voodoo totems were of a much higher quality, the totems were unique from each other (the Shamanic totems weren't), they were higher poly models and more detailed in general.

Many model hacks have happened since, including one that greatly improved the old Druid forms.
Berserker
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Berserker »

I didn't even notice the lack of tail. I was too excited to notice I guess! I like werewolves to have tails as much as the next guy, but if the design is sufficiently lupine enough, and not a neanderthal, hairless freak, or a manbearpig, then I don't care.

Want Blizzard to add a tail? Send in your feedback. They'll do it. While I was playtesting the beta of the first expansion pack, I sent in some feedback about one of the epic weapons in the game being too stubby, and lo and behold, they freakin' fixed it! I'm sure it was all me, because it was a fairly obscure thing. As long as the developers read it and go, "huh, yeah that makes sense to me," then they'll do it. They do listen to player feedback.
Vagrant
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vagrant »

Berserker wrote:I didn't even notice the lack of tail. I was too excited to notice I guess!
Admittedly, me too! At least, at first and for quite a while...

As for feedback, that's not something I can do because I'm not subscribed at the moment (I'll come back to that later in this post), and I'm not going to be until Cataclysm arrives, and I'll resubscribe again when I have the expansion.

However, there is a growing thread about it on the official forums, and the general consensus is that tails should be added as a counterbalance because the critters look far too top heavy (people have actually agreed with me on this, yay!) to not have a tail. There have been some idiots who've been clamouring to keep Worgen tailless, but they haven't had very good reasons.

Thus far, just two (that aren't baseless 'no tails please' or 'no tails for the furries') arguments have arisen and they're pretty bloody stupid.

- "Arugal's Worgen don't have tails, why should these?!"

The Gilneas Worgen gift comes from a different timeframe to Arugal's "children", their condition comes from a time before the gift was turned into a curse, and that much is obvious by looking at them, they look more like Wolves than the mobs wandering around the darker parts of the Eastern Kingdoms (which don't look very Wolf-like at all).

If they look different than those Worgen, then a tail might simply be another one of those differences. I do wish I could point this out on the official forums, but I can't.

- "This upsets the class balance aesthetic!"

This was a real facepalm moment for me, apparently having two races with tails on the Alliance side is going to completely upset the race/class balance, because there'll be two races with tails on the Alliance side. That sounds like pure idiocy to me, because let's consider...

1) The Horde only has one short race, the Alliance has two.
2) None of the Alliance races have tusks, two Horde races do.
3) The Horde has many more races with unearthly skin colours.

...I could go on, but I won't.

There's really no balance between the aesthetics of the classes, and I wish I could point that out too, but alas...

Anyway, that aside, the general consensus is for tails, so tails will probably be added. If they aren't, then tails can easily be modded in. It won't be a trivial process, but it is entirely possible. So I hope that'll happen at least if Blizzard doesn't add tails to them, because they're going to look really weird without them.

Watch the gameplay videos on 'Dude, Where's my Worgen?' and you'll see what I mean, without something weighing them down on the back, they look like they're going to thud-forward at any moment. And if Blizz plans on having them run on all foursr to remedy this top heaviness (that'd be awesome!), then a tail is goinig to matter more than ever.

So you can pass on my concerns if you like, Berserker, but I won't be resubscribing just yet. I'm not going to pay a month's subscription just to air my views.

As for why I left in the first place, I was tired of the game as it was, a little too raid heavy, without a single breath of life breathed into the old content (that'll thankfully change with Cataclysm), and because of my ocular disabilities, I wasn't too much use in anything over a 5-man raid so I ended up spending most of my time developing addons, and this was a very thankless and stressful job (bloody ingrates).

And I wasn't really willing to pay to do a job.

I'm planning on playing when I return, I won't be developing, but in order to actually be able to really play it, I want to wait for the new content in the old lands.
Berserker
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Berserker »

Can you provide a link to the forum topic about tails?
Kiri-Ryu
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change
Custom Title: Wereraven in the Sky

Post by Kiri-Ryu »

Berserker wrote:Can you provide a link to the forum topic about tails?
I think this one might be the one Vagrant was refering to.

There's another one here too though.

Probably a few other topics about it floating in the boglands of the official forums.

As much as I'd like to see a tail, I think I'd like to see their human form made little different in appearance from the normal humans a little bit more. Someone in the 2nd topic suggests a little more haggard, thinner and dark rings around their eyes. I think that could work pretty nicely myself.
Vagrant
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vagrant »

Those weren't the threads I found, but they're probably better ones nonetheless, though the arguments against tails found within are equally as ludicrous, as it always is with people who argue against other people actually getting something rather nifty.

I like the idea of haggard, dishevelled looks for the human side of things, too, that would actually fit the whole setting better, since the setting is a dusty, dirty Victorian setting (which I actually find rather beautiful) so the clean-shaven humans are an ill fit. I actually watched some videos to verify that my memories in regards to this were right, and yes, those really are some cleanly shaved and manicured humans.

I really want the tail more than anything else still though, because the problem with the Worgen as they are right now is that they have no counterbalance. When you look at them from the front, this doesn't seem to be an issue, but I've seen gameplay videos which show them from behind, and they sort of lurch like an unsteady, robotic machination. Without the counterbalance to make them look properly weighted, they look like an affront to gravity.

For comparison, one might imagine a tailless Tauren or Draenei and imagine how it would effect the visual appearance of their balance, with them being so beefy, having something that hangs down behind them somehow adds a rightness to their physique that I have trouble describing, and that becomes a wrongness about Worgen who're missing it.

To segue into a lighter topic, I was also amused by one of the posters there who commented on the mesmeric nature of Tauren tails, as this is completely true. I've become completely enthralled with the Tauren swish, to the point of having walked off both The Great Lift and Thunder Bluff. The latter was amusing because I was a low level Tauren and I actually lived to tell the tale.

It went something like this.

Vagrant: *swish, swish, swish* ...wait, where's the ground? AAHHHHEEEEEEEEEE~! *THUD!*
Vagrant: ...
Vagrant: I'm alive? I'm alive! I'm alive! How did I survive that? That was a massive drop, I've seen so many dead bodies down here. Yeah! *armpump* I must be the luckiest Tauren aliiiii~!
Cougar: RAWR
[Goodbye 2HP I had left.]
Vagrant: ...s***...
Werewolf
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Stressed

Post by Werewolf »

I never played WoW before but I knew of the Worgen and always thought they we're pretty cool, I always said if they made them a playable race I'd try the game and it looks like I will when it comes out :lol:

I'm a experienced FFXI player, I got into that from being a fan of the Final Fantasy series for a long time; I don't know what to expect from WoW but being able to play a werewolf type race I think I will just go casual than hardcore with it though.

As far as the tails the original Worgen never had any so I wasn't too hopeful of the playable ones having any... but yeah I prefer my werewolves with tail! :wagtail:

So this is coming out later next year, got plenty of time before that and hopefully can build my new computer by then as well, if The Pack has a server by then let me know would be fun as a guild or something :D
Berserker
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Berserker »

WoW is definitely different than FFXI, it is a MUCH easier game. The game throws tons of rewards at you, and it is very consistent in terms of quality. There's almost no penalty for failure, leveling is a breeze and it can be done completely by yourself without extra effort. Most of your experience comes from completing missions, and so there aren't any spots where you feel like you need to kill dozens of monsters to gain a level. Group bosses and dungeons are almost always accessible, and equipment is easy to get.
Werewolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Werewolf »

Yeah that's what I heard, though when it comes to Warcraft in general I'm quite a newb :P

One thing I noticed is they run on 2 legs, where npc Worgen run on all 4, it looks a bit akward in my opinion and they should have them walk on 2 legs and run/sprint on all 4 that would look much better 8)

Plus they haven't really shown the female version yet, other than the texture that someone found and the sketches they had at the Blizz-Con looks like they are still working on them; which is why I hope they fix the run thing.

But regardless I'm rather looking foward to this now because of the Worgen :wink:
Berserker
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Berserker »

The Worgen have an ability where they can run really fast on all fours for 15 seconds. Right now they can do it every 2 minutes.
Werewolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Werewolf »

Berserker wrote:The Worgen have an ability where they can run really fast on all fours for 15 seconds. Right now they can do it every 2 minutes.
Ah cool, I thought they ran on 2 legs for that too so it's good to know that they can run on all 4 as well :D
Sebiale
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Meh...

Post by Sebiale »

Hmmmmmm
We do not stop being children when we learn of death, we stop being children when we make peace with it.
Ceekur
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Ceekur »

I heard this about a week ago from a friend who plays WoW. The preview page was a real pleasant surprise. They may lack tails, but the general design of their models definitely impresses me compared to typical mainstream portrayal. Assuming the current time has the Worgen considered "an evil race" at this point, the design shows more than just mindless savagery behind the creature.

I really like the concept art of the female Worgen that berserker posted. Looks even more like a believable race with many different classes you could be. In a way, I hope this image to be the future of werewolf or anthro media - large artwork or game model on a screen behind them, while developers are talking about that big project they're working on. No one against the fact that people will soon be able as a "fuzzy" character either. In regards to the design, they also used more "humanizing" methods on them; you can even see her pupils. :D
' They have come to take my life...
Let us settle this 300 year-old war once and for all...
Who shall live...? Who shall die...? ' ~ Moonlight Symphony - Vampire Night

Searif
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Searif »

Berserker wrote:There are already Worgen in the game who are basically monsters. I'm pretty sure the cursed population of this nation retreated into isolation and hid themselves behind a giant wall, so they're still cursed and are werewolves, but they haven't been fully corrupted yet and can still maintain their humanity. They basically just cut themselves off from the evil influence that was affecting them.

Besides, that's part of the storyline when you create a Worgen character. The first chunk of the game is back story about how you and your city were all normal humans, who became cursed to transform into werewolves. A major dynamic of the Worgen is the idea that they are afraid of the beast within. I'm guessing that once the wall finally breaks and you venture out into the world, you realize that your people haven't quite become monsters after all, and can use your abilities--however vicious they may seem--for a greater good.

On a side note... apparently the Worgen do have a human form, but it is purely cosmetic and optional. I would imagine most Worgen will spend almost all the time as werewolves. Apparently though, the transformation is incredibly cool.
From what I have heard when you start out you are still under Arugal's control, and as you go along with the quests and the like a night elf with a weapon called the "scythe of Elune" comes out and "cures" the whole Gilnean kingdom, but there is a problem, the cure only releases you from Arugal's control, Genn Greymane, the king of Gilneas, then decides to join the alliance.

Don't take any of that as written in stone yet though, just what I gathered/think from the whole thing.
Berserker
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Berserker »

Searif wrote:
Don't take any of that as written in stone yet though, just what I gathered/think from the whole thing.
There are super SPOILERS here but if anyone wants, you can read the beginning Worgen quests here on www.worgen.info.
Vagrant
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vagrant »

Hee, you beat me to posting that one. That and http://worgen.wordpress.com have become my main two sources of information for all things Worgen, usually if one doesn't have it then the other does!

I really do want them to get tails though, I'm hoping they do because it's going to seem so strange seeing them lurch along from behind if there's no tail wagging there.

Anwyway @Ceekur: That's one of the reasons I've pretty much decided that i'm going to roll a Worgen Priest, I'm probably going to go Shadow Priest though, because the Mind Control Priest spell + Worgen in cloth top-hat is a mental image that amuses me no end.

Oh, and this can be macro'd for fear: "*Rrruwwf...* Run away... little girl/boy^... run away... *Grrowwwl!*

^ - I'd use a basic target/focus gender check to see which I'd need!

Finally, you can see the pupils on the male Worgen too, they have wonderfully glowy eyes but the pupils can still be seen!

I shall finish with this: Come on, Blizzard, don't disappoint me now! I have everything I wanted thus far, playable Worgen, the ability to put a top-hat on a Worgen, Worgen Priests, now you just need to put tails on Worgens to make for an irresistable combination that I will end up playing. You cads!

*** Vagrant is almost tempted to reopen his subscription right now to reserve the name Svengali.
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Eletist Jerk

Post by Anubis »

I'm pretty excited for this expansion, when race changes are available I'm changing my main into a worgen.

BTW, if any of you care I'm rock'n a geared level 80 human death knight over on Icecrown (my main).
THE GAME

My Armory