World of Warcraft... playable werewolves?!

What's hot, what's not. General Video Game discussion
Berserker
Legendary
Legendary

World of Warcraft... playable werewolves?!

Post by Berserker »

Last edited by Berserker on Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
alphanubilus
Legendary
Legendary

Re: World of Warcraft... playable werewolves?!

Post by alphanubilus »

I never liked WOW, but if this is true, I might have to consider playing it. The last time I played as a heroic werewolf was in the X-Box version of Elder of Scrolls: III. I was a level 99 werewolf... and I kicked Dagoth Ur's buttox! :lol:
Berserker
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Berserker »

alphanubilus wrote:I never liked WOW, but if this is true, I might have to consider playing it. The last time I played as a heroic werewolf was in the X-Box version of Elder of Scrolls: III. I was a level 99 werewolf... and I kicked Dagoth Ur's buttox! :lol:
You must have played Morrowind a ton, but you didn't like WoW... hmm... I'm going to assume you thought WoW was a little too simplistic by comparison? Or maybe too directional?
alphanubilus
Legendary
Legendary

Post by alphanubilus »

I played the hell out of Mirrowind, as I did it's sequel, Oblivion... My time on that game is counted in days... not hours! :p

As for WOW... I never really played WoW, as the character classes never captured my imagination. Also, as I work on a computer all day long, when it comes to gaming I typically play on my PS3, X360 or any number of handhelds that I have...
IndianaJones
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Anime/Furry/Disney Fanatic
Additional Details: I like transformations and humans being turned into animals, furries, and monsters.
Mood: Relief

Post by IndianaJones »

Those are nice looking worgen werewolf masks! :)
Disney/Disneyland fans and theme parks!
http://micechat.com/

http://steamcommunity.com/id/ZanderFox/
Wingman
Game Master
Game Master
Custom Title: Dastardly ne'er-do-well in search of a lickspittle

Post by Wingman »

Cool. Though, it's unlikely I'll get back into WoW, it cost me nearly 200 bucks in fees from my ISP to download all the patches last time around, and then all of my friends up and quit WoW or were 40+ levels ahead and unwilling to slow down.

Also, it may interest some of you that there are existing mods(illegal ones) for the Druid class that supplies alternate textures and animations for the transformations. I believe Worgen, or at least something suitably similar, is an option. And really, you're the only one who would see the changes, and you may or may not have to be playing on a private server.
http://stevebot-7.deviantart.com/
Quod sumus hoc eritis

Aspirant writer-artist.
Berserker
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Berserker »

Wingman wrote:Cool. Though, it's unlikely I'll get back into WoW, it cost me nearly 200 bucks in fees from my ISP to download all the patches last time around, and then all of my friends up and quit WoW or were 40+ levels ahead and unwilling to slow down.

Also, it may interest some of you that there are existing mods(illegal ones) for the Druid class that supplies alternate textures and animations for the transformations. I believe Worgen, or at least something suitably similar, is an option. And really, you're the only one who would see the changes, and you may or may not have to be playing on a private server.
Your ISP charges for bandwidth? I didn't think policies like that still existed.

Anyway, the "refer a friend" program basically makes it awesome to get back into the game. You just start up a new account and link a buddy to the refer a friend program, and as long as you're playing together, you get 300% experience. You rocket through the early levels, it's just ridiculous.

I hate to abandon my current high level characters but if this is true, and the worgen are a new race, I'm definitely starting over as one.
FireLuna
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change
Mood: RAR!

Post by FireLuna »

I play WoW.

That would be cool to play a werewolf char in it.
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

Ah, Warcrack. Never played it. I has no monies. :(

The texture isn't half bad, though.
FoxOfWar
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Fiery Foxish TFmage Extraordinaire
Location: Finland. Most probably lurking behing that rock. *points*

Post by FoxOfWar »

Well, I play WoW, and I'm torn if this happens.

New races are fun, but they eat a ton of development time while not really being new content(read: more stuff I can actually PLAY and not just new looks). On the other hand, if they bring in Worgen, I am changing mains ASAP because I would LOVE them aesthetically.

New class or the ability to create a worgen druid/shaman? The decision... :?
Btw, If you're wondering about FoxOfWar, think about Real-Time Strategy Games and certain aspect profilic in all of them... lurking about in the shadows, kind of like me...
Berserker
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Berserker »

FoxOfWar wrote:Well, I play WoW, and I'm torn if this happens.

New races are fun, but they eat a ton of development time while not really being new content(read: more stuff I can actually PLAY and not just new looks).
If you recall, the first 2 new races they introduced had entirely new capitol cities, starting areas, quests, and mounts. ;)
FoxOfWar
Legendary
Legendary

Post by FoxOfWar »

Berserker wrote:
FoxOfWar wrote:Well, I play WoW, and I'm torn if this happens.

New races are fun, but they eat a ton of development time while not really being new content(read: more stuff I can actually PLAY and not just new looks).
If you recall, the first 2 new races they introduced had entirely new capitol cities, starting areas, quests, and mounts. ;)
Oh, I do know that. But are new starting areas/quests/mounts etc. really anything new from the endgame-raider perspective? Nope. One can only play so alts for so long, and lvl 20-60 and to lesser extent 60-70 will still be same ol', same ol'. Compared to getting a new class, which is something actually new that affects the gameplay in the endgame... it's not really a question.

But we'll see. I would rather see few more raid dungeons than in Wrath era than a new playable races, even if they are worgen ;)
Btw, If you're wondering about FoxOfWar, think about Real-Time Strategy Games and certain aspect profilic in all of them... lurking about in the shadows, kind of like me...
Berserker
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Berserker »

FoxOfWar wrote:same ol', same ol'
This is the whole game. All the raiding has been same-old, same-old for a long time. I go into Ulduar every night and I'm starting to think, "what am I doing here? There's no point behind this." That's why I'm excited about anything new and fresh. I firmly believe WoW has one expansion left: there's no way they can keep going rehashing the same junk over and over. I guess some people will still play it, and never get tired of fighting what are essentially the same battles over and over again for years at a time. Personally I think they're crazy. :P

At any rate, playing a Worgen would make the whole game fresh for me. Even if I have to retread much of the same content.
FoxOfWar
Legendary
Legendary

Post by FoxOfWar »

Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

:( No! It can't be!

Can't. . . Resist. . . Free trial. . . Much. . . LONGERRRRRRRR!!!!
:grinp:
Berserker
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Berserker »

It's all but 100% confirmed at this point. Even werewolf-news.com has reported on it. Hopefully BlizzCon this weekend will show off some new art and info.
Berserker
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Berserker »

It is 100% confirmed! Playable werewolves in WoW! I'll update with as much artwork and info as I can this weekend.
Berserker
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Berserker »

AHHHH OH MY GOD look at that character model and animation! I think I'm about to die from excitement!

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/cataclys ... orgen.html
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets
Mood: Indifferent

Post by MoonKit »

Yeah but the female looks too fragile. :P
You are the only light there is for yourself my friend
alphanubilus
Legendary
Legendary

Post by alphanubilus »

That solidifies it... It is the Year of the Werewolf! :p

Now the big question is, can a new player, who has never played WOW, choose a Wargen?
Chris
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Chris »

Something I don't quite understand, the Worgen bio says "transforming ordinary men and women into ravenous, feral creatures." Yet, according to this chart, they are good guys and can be priests, mages, and warlocks?

I don't much mind what they are, as I won't be paying a monthly fee just to play the game (might try a free trial demo, though), it just seems their bio doesn't fit with what they are in-game.
Berserker
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Berserker »

alphanubilus wrote:That solidifies it... It is the Year of the Werewolf! :p

Now the big question is, can a new player, who has never played WOW, choose a Wargen?
If you get (all the) expansions, then yes. The one daunting thing about playing WoW as a new player is the initial investment in the original game and both expansions. However, I predict that by the time this one is released, there will be a new box set with all 3, which will be nice and affordable.
Berserker
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Berserker »

Chris wrote:Something I don't quite understand, the Worgen bio says "transforming ordinary men and women into ravenous, feral creatures." Yet, according to this chart, they are good guys and can be priests, mages, and warlocks?

I don't much mind what they are, as I won't be paying a monthly fee just to play the game (might try a free trial demo, though), it just seems their bio doesn't fit with what they are in-game.
There are already Worgen in the game who are basically monsters. I'm pretty sure the cursed population of this nation retreated into isolation and hid themselves behind a giant wall, so they're still cursed and are werewolves, but they haven't been fully corrupted yet and can still maintain their humanity. They basically just cut themselves off from the evil influence that was affecting them.

Besides, that's part of the storyline when you create a Worgen character. The first chunk of the game is back story about how you and your city were all normal humans, who became cursed to transform into werewolves. A major dynamic of the Worgen is the idea that they are afraid of the beast within. I'm guessing that once the wall finally breaks and you venture out into the world, you realize that your people haven't quite become monsters after all, and can use your abilities--however vicious they may seem--for a greater good.

On a side note... apparently the Worgen do have a human form, but it is purely cosmetic and optional. I would imagine most Worgen will spend almost all the time as werewolves. Apparently though, the transformation is incredibly cool.
Chris
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Chris »

Berserker wrote:There are already Worgen in the game who are basically monsters. I'm pretty sure the cursed population of this nation retreated into isolation and hid themselves behind a giant wall, so they're still cursed and are werewolves, but they haven't been fully corrupted yet and can still maintain their humanity. They basically just cut themselves off from the evil influence that was affecting them.

Besides, that's part of the storyline when you create a Worgen character. The first chunk of the game is back story about how you and your city were all normal humans, who became cursed to transform into werewolves. A major dynamic of the Worgen is the idea that they are afraid of the beast within. I'm guessing that once the wall finally breaks and you venture out into the world, you realize that your people haven't quite become monsters after all, and can use your abilities--however vicious they may seem--for a greater good.
That sounds quite interesting. If only it wasn't for that monthly fee...
Kiri-Ryu
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change
Custom Title: Wereraven in the Sky

Post by Kiri-Ryu »

Berserker wrote: On a side note... apparently the Worgen do have a human form, but it is purely cosmetic and optional. I would imagine most Worgen will spend almost all the time as werewolves. Apparently though, the transformation is incredibly cool.
A link for you of the male worgen transformation/movements. :shift:
Worgen Characters will be forced to shift into their Worgen forms when in combat, I assume so they don't get confused with regular human characters in PvP.

Gilneas, their starting zone, has a very Victorian England feel to it, which just pushes all my win buttons :D . As of yet, no full female worgen models have been released.

There is currently a Battle Chest available for World of Warcraft, which contains The Core game + Burning Crusade for a reduced price. I would be very surprised if they didn't make another battle chest with Wrath and maybe Cataclysm in the future.

And once Cataclysm is released it'll be a great chance to get into WoW, expansions picked up or no. All the level 1-60 content is being updated and made hopefully less sucky to level though. But yeah, pick up a trial before you rush out and buy.