PS3 slim

What's hot, what's not. General Video Game discussion
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

PS3 slim

Post by Figarou »

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10312144-1.html

Well, what do you know!

I like the new style. And I'm glad the price has dropped.
TheBuzzSaw
Just Bitten
Just Bitten
Custom Title: Open Source Operative

Re: PS3 slim

Post by TheBuzzSaw »

Heh. NOW it's in a price range I can negotiate with.
Takyoji is my hero.
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Hmm, like all the Playstation models before it. I always preferred the original versions over the slimmer ones. They tend to work better.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Berserker
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Berserker »

Yeesh the original clunky Ps1 and Ps2 were pretty bad. The slim versions were way more reliable!

Regardless, I still have no interest in the Ps3 due to no backwards compatibility. The only game I would want to play on Ps3 is Ratchet & Clank.... the Ps2 still has, I dunno, maybe 100x more good games.
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

Aside from lacking backwards compatability, it's only got two USB ports. My two favorite games are Okami and Rock Band, both of which are a bit short-changed with the revision.

PS2 compatability: I know, one can just get a PS2. But, that's an extra expense, extra shelf space, and no HD upconversion. If my PS3 handles backwards compatability via a software conversion, then shouldn't this be available as a software download? Heck, Sony could even charge for it.

USB ports: I know, I could get a USB hub. But, it's more clutter. It's a minor gripe compared to the last one, but as long as my old console has more features than the new version, I can't see it as an improvement. I can just upgrade my hard drive to a 500 Gig, and I'll be ahead of the curve.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Xiroteus
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Happy

Post by Xiroteus »

The slimmer models always look better, the original PS2 is huge, the slim is much nicer and I would not even get a PS3 until a price drop and half the size, it should play PS2 games, I still will not purchase one any time soon, just do not need it that much at all.
lycanthropeful
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Werewolf Wannabe
Mood: Ruthless

Post by lycanthropeful »

I guess that's confirmation that the slim version is not PS2 compatible. Oh well. That's what keeping my PS2 is for since I replay a lot of my beloved games.

I'm just SO happy, though, that they've dropped the price. I have had my eye on a PS3 for a while now, and it's finally within a feasible price range for a college student like me.
SaxGirl1010 @ deviantART
Art commissions are currently OPEN! Click HERE!
Vengeance, my werewolf novel: ON SALE NOW!
Sebiale
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Meh...

Post by Sebiale »

I have no money for consoles, just new games once every blue moon, it's why I get MMO's, they can last a looooooong time.
We do not stop being children when we learn of death, we stop being children when we make peace with it.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

I decided to trade in my older ps3 for the slim ps3.

Sure, I gave up ps2 backwards compatiblity. Memory card readers. Sacd playback. And 4 USB ports. The thing I hated about my old ps3 is that it gets very hot! That fan inside is at full blast! Those Nyko cooling fans don't last long because the heat from the ps3 wears them down. It starts making a loud noise after constant use.

The slim runs much cooler. It doesn't heat up the room like the older model. 2 USB ports is more than enough. I also have a memory stick reader/writer that plugs into the USB port. I don't have any ps2 games. And sacd is a dying format.
Xiroteus
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Xiroteus »

I don't have any ps2 games.
:O

If I ever had one I would want it to play PS2 games, I do have a PS2, I just like having an all in one system, I am sure once the PS3 keeps dropping and the PS2 sells less they will bring back the backward compatibility.

I have fourteen PS2 games, that really says I am not the biggest gamer, and most of them were under ten dollars, doubt I will ever have a PS3 anytime soon.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

There's one thing you should know about the PS3, Xiroteus.

The very 1st PS3 models backward compatibility is hardware based. The ones after that is software based. The problem with the software based is that not all PS2 games can be played on it. It's best to keep your current PS2 and get a PS3 that's not backward compatible.
Xiroteus
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Xiroteus »

Figarou wrote:There's one thing you should know about the PS3, Xiroteus.

The very 1st PS3 models backward compatibility is hardware based. The ones after that is software based. The problem with the software based is that not all PS2 games can be played on it. It's best to keep your current PS2 and get a PS3 that's not backward compatible.

That would be troublesome, ah, the PS2 is not that big anyway, so it should not be that big of a deal, most likely get to the point where only PS3 games were played anyway.

Just that all-in-one is one thinking people like to do, when it is only the size of a book, nothing taking up that much space.

A game system and Blu-Ray player in one, I still think that is going to do the system well over time, I have a blu-ray/hd-dvd drive and a monitor that can play the films, if I was to get a larger television I would most likely get a PS3 so I would have a player and game system, why not? :)

Still enjoying your home theater? :D
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Xiroteus wrote:
That would be troublesome, ah, the PS2 is not that big anyway, so it should not be that big of a deal, most likely get to the point where only PS3 games were played anyway.
I'm not sure why they are still making PS2 games. I'd thought by now every new game will go to the PS3.

Xiroteus wrote:Just that all-in-one is one thinking people like to do, when it is only the size of a book, nothing taking up that much space.
It would be nice to have an "all-in-one" system. But that won't be the case if you own all 3 consoles. (Wii, Xbox 360, PS3.) Thats way it's good to have a receiver that has more than input. As for placement, if it's just for gaming, it should be no problem. but if you have other stuff like a VCR, or cable box, CD player, Cassette deck, ETC. then space will be an issue.

Xiroteus wrote:Still enjoying your home theater? :D
You better believe it!!! :howl:  :oo
Xiroteus
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Xiroteus »

I'm not sure why they are still making PS2 games. I'd thought by now every new game will go to the PS3.
They are going for a record for longest running system in the last twenty years, most likely giving the PS2 players even more reason to pick up that game system, the PS3 is costing less, plays new games and blu-ray.
It would be nice to have an "all-in-one" system. But that won't be the case if you own all 3 consoles. (Wii, Xbox 360, PS3.) Thats way it's good to have a receiver that has more than input. As for placement, if it's just for gaming, it should be no problem. but if you have other stuff like a VCR, or cable box, CD player, Cassette deck, ETC. then space will be an issue.
Space is not likely to be an issue, unless one has a VERY small area, and if one already has the PS2, might as well keep it.
You better believe it!!! :howl:  :oo
:D

I have a mini edition, 1920x1200 monitor I play hi-def movies on, only 24", best I can do at the moment, one day I would like to do a 1080P projector when they do not cost a fortune.

I will have a nice home theater when I can, would be the perfect room. :)

I love Blu-Ray, even on a smaller screen. :D
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Berserker wrote:Yeesh the original clunky Ps1 and Ps2 were pretty bad. The slim versions were way more reliable!
Actually the originals were better, they are kept cooler and were actually still more reliable from what I know of experience. All the slimmer models had a habit of getting too hot due to their being little or not fan. Not to mention they were more fragile overall. Now I am not saying they are bad, The slimmer size is a big plus, but the older models had more of a charm to them than the slimmer ones.

As for this slimmer PS3, I like the design of the old model, it looks shinier (what can I say), but it was bigger. With the PS3 price cut at $299 it's really provoking me to get it right now for games like Metal Gear Solid 4, Ratchet and Clank and Uncharted.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

I do like the smaller size and price, but. . . Well, ordinarily I would have said "I don't really need backwards compatibility because I already have the prior model anyway. . ."

. . .except that my PS2 was one of many things that my [expletive] brother made never made it out of Vegas. . . So it kind of is an issue for me.

If they really wanted to cut a feature, maybe they should have taken into consideration the Blu-Ray. Blu-Ray is to home theater what 3D0 was to console gaming; nobody wants to buy a whole new system and new software just to play what they already have with the difference in quality being, to the untrained (IE: consumer's) eye, indeterminable. :P
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Terastas wrote:
If they really wanted to cut a feature, maybe they should have taken into consideration the Blu-Ray. Blu-Ray is to home theater what 3D0 was to console gaming; nobody wants to buy a whole new system and new software just to play what they already have with the difference in quality being, to the untrained (IE: consumer's) eye, indeterminable. :P
I think you mean..... the ability to play Blu-Ray movies. Since PS3 games uses the Blu-Ray technology, taking that feature away will make it a PS2.
Xiroteus
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Xiroteus »

I think the Blu-Ray ability will become even more important later, take longer to get dated as well.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Figarou wrote:
Terastas wrote:
I think you mean..... the ability to play Blu-Ray movies. Since PS3 games uses the Blu-Ray technology, taking that feature away will make it a PS2.
Ah. Wasn't aware the games were the same format. Kay, forget what I said then. :P