Champions Online has Awesome Werewolves!

What's hot, what's not. General Video Game discussion
Silent Hunter
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: PACK IS CREDIT TO TEAM!
Mood: Ruthless

Re: Champions Online has Awesome Werewolves!

Post by Silent Hunter »

What does the key do Vagrant? Does it activate the game itself like a normal key or does it do something online related? On top of that do you have to buy the game THEN put in a key or just put ina key on the trial version?

I would actually like a key if thats OK with you Vagrant. I don't mind either way but this game looks fun and I want to try it out. I heard about the whole COH/COV stuff but never got to try it so this may be a chance, in a sense.

Also can you use your enviroment attack/defend? Like can you rip off a street lamp and clobber people with it?
"Religion and politics
Often make some people
Lose all perspective and
Give way to ranting and raving and
Carrying on like emotional children.
They either refuse to discuss it with reason,
Or else they prefer argumentum ad hominem,
Which is a hell of a way to conduct a discussion."
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

Silent Hunter wrote:What does the key do Vagrant? Does it activate the game itself like a normal key or does it do something online related? On top of that do you have to buy the game THEN put in a key or just put ina key on the trial version?
It activates the game like a normal key. So you download the client, plug in key after you register an account, and then bam, it's all downloading and stuff.

Though, in hindsight I kinda-sorta regret activating it right now 'cause I won't get to get in on the Halloweeny fun, probably, but then again getting an impression of the game when an event isn't in progress is probably useful as well. Even if I'm going to miss some awesome werewolf-on-werewolf fighting. :lol:
Silent Hunter
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: PACK IS CREDIT TO TEAM!
Mood: Ruthless

Post by Silent Hunter »

Heheh. OK, spec wise the game checks out, I can run it to a degree which looks good. I am hopeful for it.
"Religion and politics
Often make some people
Lose all perspective and
Give way to ranting and raving and
Carrying on like emotional children.
They either refuse to discuss it with reason,
Or else they prefer argumentum ad hominem,
Which is a hell of a way to conduct a discussion."
Wingman
Game Master
Game Master
Custom Title: Dastardly ne'er-do-well in search of a lickspittle

Post by Wingman »

Silent Hunter wrote: Also can you use your enviroment attack/defend? Like can you rip off a street lamp and clobber people with it?
I'm assuming they haven't changed it much since the City of games, but the closest you'd get to that was a ability to rip up a chunk of concrete and hurl it at an enemy. I personally liked it, except for the quirk that you could magically rip that piece of concrete from anywhere, so long as you're standing on the ground. Dirt and grass, no problem, there's buried concrete. Puddles and water, no problem, concrete under there too.

I just really hope they fixed the problem of how certain debuffs can keep you from jumping, which means if you're a melee build and you're on a rooftop throwing jagged chunks of concrete at passersby(fun, since I'm pretty sure it stunned them, and sent them falling to the ground. A nice way to end someone's scenic flight tour), you're screwed if you get debuffed since you're trapped up there, and they can hover out of reach and shoot you to death with their little lasers or whatever. A tiny ledge barely higher than my character's ankle, and I can't navigate my way over it.

Oh, I forgot, the Telekinesis(or something) ability could hurl cars, and dumpsters, and shopping carts and whatnot, though they seemed to be created by the ability, rather than utilized out of the surrounding environment.

It might have been changed, but I find it doubtful.
http://stevebot-7.deviantart.com/
Quod sumus hoc eritis

Aspirant writer-artist.
Aki
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Aki »

Wingman wrote:
Silent Hunter wrote: Also can you use your enviroment attack/defend? Like can you rip off a street lamp and clobber people with it?
I'm assuming they haven't changed it much since the City of games, but the closest you'd get to that was a ability to rip up a chunk of concrete and hurl it at an enemy. I personally liked it, except for the quirk that you could magically rip that piece of concrete from anywhere, so long as you're standing on the ground. Dirt and grass, no problem, there's buried concrete. Puddles and water, no problem, concrete under there too.
It actually has! Something I first experienced when trying to talk to the Mayor and my wolfie picked up a crate and then subsequently there it at him! Thankfully, the Major is steel of body and composure and I was not gunned down for a perceived attempt on his life.

I've also picked up street lamps and vehicles of all sorts. I think the best one was when I grabbed an army truck and threw it at an irradiated NPC and insta KO'd him.

Though, I do haz questions of my own, namely:

Why is my claw attack so crap? I have like, 50 something strength, with claws at Rank 2 and it does a piddling 13 damage aside from the occasional 40. Is this because it's an energy builder or did I do something wrong and inadvertently cripple myself?

As it stands, claws, fun as they are, seem to be useful for little more than building energy so I can gun s*** down. Much as I like mowing s*** down with my dual revolvers, it's kinda off putting to have my claws be a secondary attack.

But my bite attack is awesome. Fully charged it one-shots irradiates, which makes it tremendously amusing to use. :biteme:

Over all though, I'm enjoying myself a lot. Game's fun. :D
Vagrant
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Prolific Procrastinator

Post by Vagrant »

@Wingman

You know what assumptions do, right? Aki's got it covered, though. And later on, you can even pick up tanks and gigantic boulders and both clobber with and throw them. The environment does provide for cover, and the size of the character versus the size of the object they're hiding behind too. So yes, it's a true evolution, regardless of doubts.

It's about as different a beast from City of Heroes as, say, Everquest 1 is from Lord of the Rings Online, and evolution of what an MMO can do and be is playing a massive part in that. Champions Online is a much more action-orientated game and while playing I feel more like a superhero than I ever did in City of Heroes. It's more a massive step up and an improvement in just about every conceivable way.

And in some ways it's a revolution, since the game isn't just about cities. Out in the desert, you may find a massive boulder balancing atop a rock formation, and you can pick that sucker up and go flatten an army of 20 mobs with it!

@Aki

Energy builders do next to no damage, their purpose is actually just to provide you with endurance. There are other ways to get endurance too though, endurance regenerates outside of combat (but only up to your equilibrium, that little I in the middle of your endurance bar, your equilibrium can be boosted by Recovery though), and some forms of buffed block provide endurance when blocking.

Primarily though, the idea is your endurance builder attack builds up endurance for your bigger attacks, think of it as more of an energy tap off of an enemy rather than a viable means of attack, as all of the energy builders do pittance damage. It's just there because endurance regeneration is disabled in combat.

The idea behind endurance is to make combat feel more kinetic, as your endurance can go up and down pretty quickly, and it allows for a faster style of play. Buffing Recovery and your endurance builder ranks just makes you gain endurance faster, as opposed to anything else.

<Edit>

Also!

...I really want to make a might-based character at some point.

Speaking of that boulder, I actually saw a might-based guy use that once, and it was fairly hilarious.

He was using it to give some VIPER troops one hell of a headache.

"DONG! Hurr hur hur. Dizzy man is dizzy! DONG, DONG, DONG, DONG! Hurrr... colourful soldier man fall down, but tehre are more over there! DONG!"
Aki
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Aki »

Vagrant wrote: @Aki

Energy builders do next to no damage, their purpose is actually just to provide you with endurance. There are other ways to get endurance too though, endurance regenerates outside of combat (but only up to your equilibrium, that little I in the middle of your endurance bar, your equilibrium can be boosted by Recovery though), and some forms of buffed block provide endurance when blocking.

Primarily though, the idea is your endurance builder attack builds up endurance for your bigger attacks, think of it as more of an energy tap off of an enemy rather than a viable means of attack, as all of the energy builders do pittance damage. It's just there because endurance regeneration is disabled in combat.

The idea behind endurance is to make combat feel more kinetic, as your endurance can go up and down pretty quickly, and it allows for a faster style of play. Buffing Recovery and your endurance builder ranks just makes you gain endurance faster, as opposed to anything else.
I feared so. My poor claws. Well! I need to pick up some strength based powers then aside from Bite (which is a tad slow). Or maybe just reroll. I mean, it's only level 10 and Super Strength doesn't seem like it's gonna do much for me as is...

But then maybe not. I'm sure I can manage. We'll see.

Anyways, some screenies of my own:

Vargr just standing about: http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/zz19 ... rFull2.jpg

A close up: http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/zz19 ... Close2.jpg

With his pistols, in their third interation (for some reason I can't see my pistols in the costume builder - so they were revolvers first, then silenced pistols, now this!): http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/zz19 ... istols.jpg

Putting them to good use: http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/zz19 ... tols00.jpg

One of those useless claw attacks ( :lol: ) : http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/zz19 ... unch00.jpg

I met up with Shadow: http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/zz19 ... Shadow.jpg

In case you missed the scale difference: http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/zz19 ... hadow2.jpg

Dancing on the Grond Statue with another friend of mine after she learned I'd gotten a trial key: http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/zz19 ... Rathi1.jpg

Edit: Actually, why reroll why I can just make an alt instead? I'll do that later tomorrow methinks. See how that works out.

Also how do I sell things in my inventory? They seem to have money values attached to them and dropping all of the unbound ones seems awful wasteful.
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The one and only were-jaguarundi!

Post by PariahPoet »

The mate and I canceled ours. Going to give it a few months to get some of the worst bugs worked out. I just resent paying $15 a month to beta test. When I buy a game I expect at least the basics to be functional- reasonable power damage ratios, function npc's, not to be killed from a mile away by a homing rock.....

We've jumped over to Aion, and it is playing much better. Not as much character customization, but much more streamlined gameplay. The only gripe I have at this time is the flight controls are wonky and a sad lack of travel powers, but those aren't deal breakers for me.
Vagrant
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vagrant »

@Aki

Those are awesome screenshots and I hope I see you in game!

Bit of a tip though that I think you'll like: When you're next at a tailor, for the torso section, in the main drop down check out chest-wear. Then in the chest-wear subcategory of torso, there are quiute a few fur options, including a mane that looks incredible and really adds to the werewolf look!

@Pariah

I think it's a "The grass is always greener... or at least it looked that way from over there!" scenario. I've had a nose about the Aion forum, and it's no bed of roses over there, either. Lots of fuming about bugs, queues, and the likes.

Every MMO has bugs starting out, there are no exceptions, and being there early on you have to deal with the bugs, but it's awesome just to say that you were there through the whole thing, and you helped shape it by offering your feedback.

I tend to point out World of Warcraft as a fine example, which had horrendous bugs for the first year of its release, and at one point, one of the skills... I forget which, it was either coooking or tailoring, but I believe it was tailoring, was completely broken and completely unusable... for six months.

Champions Online probably seemed great when you started playing it, until you began to stumble over bugs and issues. You've gone to a fresh game, and that's going to seem great too until you find the problems with that. And the cycle goes on, because it's really unavoidable.

I'm going to stick with Champions because it's still the best option for me, Aion is more PvP focused (only PvP content after level 20), it has a class system (which I don't like and find restrictive), and it only has visually human-like races (which aren't at all appealing to me). Champions has a strong PvE focus and I can really go nuts with concept characters, that makes it my game.

I wish you luck with Aion though, and if it's the game you stay with then I hope they iron out their issues and add in some content beyond the level 20 barrier. Just like I'm staying with Champions Online, and I'm hoping they'll iron out the issues there and add content beyond the level 40 barrier.

(Oh, and just because it really stood out to me: I've never even seen a homing rock! I'm level 28, and I've seen not one! With a good view distance, I've seen someone throw a rock with a damn good aim, but the rocks don't 'home', at least not in my experience. I've never seen one curve in mid-flight, and they can be sidestepped if you're quick enough about it. They might be there! But if they are, it's a rarely occurring bug.)
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary

Post by PariahPoet »

Oh man, the homing ranged attacks were my biggest pet peeve. I was in the Canadian wilderness trying to speed to my mission and before the enemies even popped on my screen I'd start getting hit and rocks, knives, and other ranged attacks would follow me all the way across the map.

Another case was when I was lvl 6 or so and kept getting massive aggro from this group of zombies by the only way around the giant wall around base camp. The problem was they'd lock on to me and again follow me across the entire bloody map, but it wouldn't let me target them. I'd click them and it just wouldn't select, so I couldn't run and couldn't fight them. The only thing I could do was lay tracks toward the training portal and pray I could leave the area before I died(never managed it).

The baddies just have insane range. On another character I had flight and got killed by a single infected wolf from an altitude where I should have been worrying about small aircraft rather than sick land animals. Took me down before I could get out of that tremendous range. In real life I would have probably been at least a mile from him on that last hit. It's just absolutely ridiculous.

I'm already at lvl 12 with my healer in Aion and have yet to encounter any bad glitches. The difference is that Aion has been out in Korea for quite some time, and they've actually fixed their bugs already. The in-game scenery is just absolutely amazing and is a drastically lower drain on my system than Champions because it uses beautiful skins instead of polygons to depict textures.
(this isn't even one of the really pretty areas of the game)
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y230/hassat/aion.jpg

I have to disagree about pvp. One of the things that pissed me off about champions is that the developers listened solely to the pvp'ers and not to those of us who like to focus on missions. If I wanted pvp I'd play a shooter, but that's not what I enjoy. So the developers continually nerf powers until they are useless for missions and neglect broken npc contacts and those magical homing rocks.
I know that Aion is set up to be pvp friendly, but it also is great for missions and allows me to play that way if I want.

No game is ever going to be perfect, but like Champions suits you best, Aion gives me the fun, streamlined gaming experience I want.

Like I said, I'll probably give Champions another chance in 6 months or so, but I resent paying that kind of money for a game that's going to have broken missions and almost daily downtimes.
Aki
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Aki »

I have to agree with Pariah on the homing missile stuff. It's ridiculous. I've had a few instances where it seemed like half the damn desert was sniping me.

With rocks. And blasts of radiation, which, by the way, homes around stuff. Very annoying.

I guess the intention might have been to discourage running away (not very heroic!) or to discourage sniping/hit and run attacks on powerful NPCs by ensuring that they're better at it than you but, really, it's silly.
Vagrant wrote:@Aki

Those are awesome screenshots and I hope I see you in game!

Bit of a tip though that I think you'll like: When you're next at a tailor, for the torso section, in the main drop down check out chest-wear. Then in the chest-wear subcategory of torso, there are quiute a few fur options, including a mane that looks incredible and really adds to the werewolf look!
Shadow brought it to my attention I hadn't yet fixed my graphics (I had to lower them at first because my driver was outdated and as such I had to go hunting until I got he right driver - but I tried to play before I managed to find it. :lol: ) so they're not as good as they are now. Oh, and I found that mane thing you mentioned, it really does round out the neck ruff thing nicely.

Discovered it on my own while making my alt - who I designed as pure-Munitions to compare to Vargr's Supernatural-Munitions mix. Also because his concept popped into my head and I just wanted to make him:

http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/zz19 ... Pistol.jpg
http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/zz19 ... istol2.jpg
http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/zz19 ... kRifle.jpg

Called 'im Dog Soldier. While Vargr is a werewolf, DS' backstory is that he's one of those 'manimal' things from Monster Island - though he's not got superhero-caliber genetics or as super-smart as Dr. Silverback. So he becomes a superhero the Punisher way (without being somber, unlikeable git) - excessive military hardware. :lol:

Well, that and a hover disk. Because I had to use the hover disk with someone eventually.
Wingman
Game Master
Game Master
Custom Title: Dastardly ne'er-do-well in search of a lickspittle

Post by Wingman »

I remember homing attacks were very common in CoX, even with melee attacks. With the right timing I could use my superstrength attacks against people who were over twenty feet away by the time the attack connected. Same with ranged attacks and intersecting hallways, jump across and start the attack and by the time it hits I'm out of sight on the other side. Was very nice for pulling. Does that still work with attacks that have slightly lengthy animations?
http://stevebot-7.deviantart.com/
Quod sumus hoc eritis

Aspirant writer-artist.
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary

Post by PariahPoet »

The problem is that heroes don't get homing. And hero range is at least half enemy range.
Berserker
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Berserker »

PariahPoet wrote: I'm already at lvl 12 with my healer in Aion and have yet to encounter any bad glitches. The difference is that Aion has been out in Korea for quite some time, and they've actually fixed their bugs already. The in-game scenery is just absolutely amazing and is a drastically lower drain on my system than Champions because it uses beautiful skins instead of polygons to depict textures.
(this isn't even one of the really pretty areas of the game)
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y230/hassat/aion.jpg

I have to disagree about pvp. One of the things that pissed me off about champions is that the developers listened solely to the pvp'ers and not to those of us who like to focus on missions. If I wanted pvp I'd play a shooter, but that's not what I enjoy. So the developers continually nerf powers until they are useless for missions and neglect broken npc contacts and those magical homing rocks.
I know that Aion is set up to be pvp friendly, but it also is great for missions and allows me to play that way if I want.

No game is ever going to be perfect, but like Champions suits you best, Aion gives me the fun, streamlined gaming experience I want.
Have you played World of Warcraft? It's like Aion but better. Aion pretty much stole everything from it, but it's almost like an indie Korean game, so it doesn't have the same level of production value.
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary

Post by PariahPoet »

I'd probably like it if I got into it, but it seems that for every decent WoW fan I meet, I encounter 100 more who are even more socially inept than I am or just plain obnoxious. I like playing slightly more obscure games because it's usually easier to get together a team of people who are reasonably civil and have a decent idea how to play their character type in a group setting.

On a side rant, sometimes I hate being female. Today a maintenance man came by my work and was talking with one of my male coworkers about Oblivion. I mentioned that I liked that one, but wasn't fond of the camera controls. The dude looks at me like I'm a space alien then proceeds to ignore my very existence. Only after my coworker left the guy decides he wants to talk to me. What topic does he think I'm worthy of, you ask? About 15 minutes worth of his explaining how my collar is kinky and that women can get a man to do anything with the promise of sex. I'm not even into that. -_- Guess which conversation I was actually interested in.
Wulfur
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Meh...

Post by Wulfur »

Looks like I am a little late to catch this but did anyone still have a friend key? I really enjoyed COH and this looks like it would be even more fun to try out if I could get a trail for it. Also how long is the trial for? :D
One only knows that of which they allow themselves to know.
( http://wulfur.deviantart.com/ )
Vagrant
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vagrant »

@Wulfur

You want an invite, you got it!

Shoot me an email or a PM and consider it sent.

I have two left!
Spongy
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Indifferent

Post by Spongy »

Sort-of dead topic revival time. I'm hoping someone who plays this game will be able to answer my question, since I'm unable to post in the CO forums!

Two weeks or so ago my computer started blue screening while playing CO. (During the first loading screen after log in.) I'm not sure whether or not this is tied to the Desert area, or the game in general.

But! My "subscription" (read: 30 day trial) also expired a week ago, so I have no way of testing to see if the issue's been fixed.

Now... I'm not too willing to pay for game time for a game I'm not even sure I can even play! Understandable? I think so.

Well.. Anyone have any idea as to where I should go from here? I'm low on money, but I have enough for another month's game time if I know my computer will not crash five minutes into the game. But! I have no way of testing this! So, any advice? Maybe someone can forward my message to the CO forums by posting this question for me there.

:drunx: