Table Top Gamers..

From Tabletop to Larping.
Baphnedia

Table Top Gamers..

Post by Baphnedia »

Are there any table top gamers here? I'm wondering firstly out of pure curiosity and secondly out of ulterior motives, to be explained in a little bit. As for myself I am, and I've played:

D&D (meh)
WhiteWolf (fun)
Mind's Eye Theatre (fun)
the Paradice Roleplaying System (fun)
GURPS (fun)
Alternity (fun)
Palladium (hmm)
Paranoia (very fun)
...and some others I can't think of. I'm sure I will if I manage to unpack my library, but I just don't see that happening just yet. Too much work and only a little play.
Everyday should be Towel Day.
Sekrit Identity: What?
Paradice Games: .com, Forums & Facebook
silverpaw
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: I Bite, You've Been Warned ^_^

Post by silverpaw »

i always wanted to play these games role playing is fun but i never have :( and im curious about WhiteWolf im still unsure about what that is :P :D but i think io worked it all out :lol:

Baphnedia

Post by Baphnedia »

Whitewolf is a game company that has the following game lines, all set in one scenario, pretty much:

When people are mentioning playing Vampire, Werewolf, Wraith, Mage, or Hunter, they're talking about Whitewolf. They are also the makers of Mind's Eye Theater (Live-action role-playing) which is impromtu acting pretty much.

While I love their game (and the game system) to death, I hate the company that makes it. I don't have history with them, but they love to be aloof of everyone else that's out there and refuse to come down to the customer's level. That, and they'll sue you in an instant if they think you've copied them (e.g. given werewolves fur, for instance... that was their idea).

I think that's how they make their profits... but I love playing their system though.
silverpaw
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: I Bite, You've Been Warned ^_^

Post by silverpaw »

intresting, *sighs* another egsample of humans greed,money money money,arr i hates it

other than that sounds like a kool game

ABrownrigg
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ABrownrigg »

Lessee, Tabletop games that I have played.

Hmm,

D&D, I'm in a campaign tomorrow oddly enough.

Werewolf/Vampire

Aliens

Digital Burn

Thats it as far as Tabletop. I've larped Vampire/werewolf, and NERO, and Dragon Crest.
outwarddoodles
Custom Title: I'm here! What more do you want?

Post by outwarddoodles »

Well I've played a small amount of DnD but when we played we did it a different way. I can remember: Mainly last summer all the boys, and me, were playing a pretty much free form version. We roll a dice to deciede the luck of our fate. (A one something bad is bound to happen, a 20 yopur going to get what you want!) and Then a fighting system with the 10 dice. You had stats of cource that you make in the begining and shows how hard you may hit or how likly your charater can do an action. But truly it used my big Bro Dale's imagination to come up with everything and ours to solve it. I got to work on the map we made of a poster that we just played on. As said it can get pretty free form, not much numbers holding you back, and the numbers that were there were fun to use as a challenge. MY charater was half human half wolf.
...who would da guessed...
"We are not always what we seem, and hardly ever what we dream."
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Baphnedia wrote:Whitewolf is a game company that has the following game lines, all set in one scenario, pretty much:

When people are mentioning playing Vampire, Werewolf, Wraith, Mage, or Hunter, they're talking about Whitewolf. They are also the makers of Mind's Eye Theater (Live-action role-playing) which is impromtu acting pretty much.

While I love their game (and the game system) to death, I hate the company that makes it. I don't have history with them, but they love to be aloof of everyone else that's out there and refuse to come down to the customer's level. That, and they'll sue you in an instant if they think you've copied them (e.g. given werewolves fur, for instance... that was their idea).

I think that's how they make their profits... but I love playing their system though.

I don't know if the Rage card game from White-Wolf counts. I tried playing that, but I couldn't find any players where I lived.

I never played any of their role-playing games. I thought playing the card game would be simple. Nope. Had to learn the gifts, auspice, tribes, and all that jazz. Found it to be confusing. Most of the stuff they had was dumb to begin with. Glowing werewolves? (Lambient flame) How silly can you get?

I know one thing, the werewolf itself is not copyrighted. If we don't make the werewolf do the things like the ones in White-wolf, we should be alright.
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

I've never been much of a table top RPGer, no one in my town really is into it. *shrug*
Vilkacis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vilkacis »

Figarou wrote:I don't know if the Rage card game from White-Wolf counts. I tried playing that, but I couldn't find any players where I lived.
Bah, same here. The only other person I found who had cards only collected them and wasn't interested in playing.

Back then, the rules weren't really adequate anyway... I believe they've since re-released a new, and very different, version of the game.

Unfortunatlely, my (substantial) collection of Rage cards is currently locked up in a box at my parents' house--a three hour drive away. I don't really have access to them.
:(

As for table-top roleplaying, I've only experienced a little bit of D&D and a very small amount of WhiteWolf. To tell the truth, I've never finished a campaign--it seems that my friends' favorite past-time is character-creation, and not so much playing.
:lol:

I was always somewhat disadvantaged because I didn't have access to the books and material, etc., and also because it was difficult for me to role-play in real-time (mostly inexperience, I guess). I think I would perform much better in an online environment where I have time to think things through.

-- Vilkacis
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Vilkacis wrote:
Figarou wrote:I don't know if the Rage card game from White-Wolf counts. I tried playing that, but I couldn't find any players where I lived.

Would you believe I had every singe card? Including promos from a few conventions!! I had all of the Rage Limited and Unlimited. The Umbra, The Wyrm, and the one with werecats. (Can't remember the set name) Even had that tournament card called "Wolf home." I sold it all in favor of home theater back in 1997. Thats when DVD 1st came out. :D
Vilkacis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vilkacis »

Figarou wrote:Would you believe I had every singe card? Including promos from a few conventions!!
Impressive. The extent of my collection is what I got in three booster boxes I bought on different occasions. Out of all those, I only got 1 Past Life foil (I also got a single blank card, which was confusing). The only Bastet I got was Shakar (in fact, I think he was the only one available at the time). I never bothered comparing my collection to a card list, or anything, to see what I was missing. I think I had most of what was available in the set I was buying from.

It's a pity you had to sell them all.

-- Vilkacis
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Vilkacis wrote: It's a pity you had to sell them all.

-- Vilkacis
It sure was. But I needed cash at the time.

I was buying boosters by the box!! Each box had one foil card in it. The very 1st Rage set was difficult to collect because there was 13 foil cards. The rest was simple. I lucked out on some of the foils. I bought one pack and a foil card I needed was in it. I got the promo cards from a person who used to work at a comic book store. He goes to several conventions across the U.S.A.
Baphnedia

Post by Baphnedia »

I played Magic at one time (and some people consider it roleplaying... heh.... sure)

Anyhow, I found most of those card games to be quite expensive to stay on top of the game. Most table top games started recycling editions left and right over the past year to generate more income, and I finally got fed up around 2002, after 3rd edition D&D came out, and v3.5 was announced.

I've got four different editions of the same three books, much less multiple copies of the same, rehashed material out of the 'builder' books. So, I sat down and just wrote my own system, and have beating at it with a sledgehammer ever since.
Rogue_A
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Der amerikanische Steppenwolf

Post by Rogue_A »

Yah, I also played Magic at one point in time. But the cost of cards....ugh.....It's too expensive after awhile and all the kids at my school like creating uber-powerful decks that I can never compete with. Which takes all the fun out of the game, unfortunately. That, and I'm probably about two years behind on the rules, at least. Last deck I bought was back when the old card template was still used and what not, and involved multi-colored mana cards. I think it was around 2001.

As for role playing to put it short:

-The only one played at school is D&D, and I don't like D&D at all. I'm not too big on the fantasy genre.
-The only WhiteWolf game I know a very small group of people play at their friend's house is Vampire. I can't play that either though because this person's house is too far away for me to walk. (No car, not even a bike. *sigh*)
-Then, although off-topic, the other people play the MUD Achaea, but once again, it's fantasy. The races don't interest me a great deal. (I am such the outcast when it comes to internet things. Like, nobody IRL gets to witness my internet briliance because: Me: LiveJournal and DevArt, Others: Elftown, Elftown, Elftown, with like one senior semi-buddy on DevAr.)

So.....what to do, what to do? Well, me and my friends are trying to create a Horror RPG using playing cards instead of dice. Cuz, well, 99% of the time one of my friends has a pack of playing cards in his bag, and even then, cards are like, totally easy to find. And we don't play to make it similar to White Wolf's stuff, cuz eh, we don't have a sourcebook to "steal" their ideas. For one thing, it's missing the fantasy magic/Gaia/blah blah blah stuff. Yeah. We haven't fleshed it out enough to make it playable though, because we haven't had time to work on it for awhile....*sigh again*
"In fear I hurried this way and that. I had the taste of blood and chocolate in my mouth, the one as hateful as the other."-Hermann Hesse, Steppenwolf
Vilkacis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vilkacis »

Baphnedia wrote:I played Magic at one time (and some people consider it roleplaying... heh.... sure)

Anyhow, I found most of those card games to be quite expensive to stay on top of the game.
I play Magic as well, or at least, I did. Apparently there are a lot less people who play it at the University level than at the Community College level
:P

I still love the game, but I'm probably never going to buy more cards than I have. You're right about how expensive it is. Back when I had a job but no bills, it was easy to spend that money, but I can't afford it now.

But as for the top players, I only know one, but I know he has been able to support his habit entirely on the money and cards he wins by playing in tournaments.

I'm just happy knowing he was never able to beat my bird deck.

-- Vilkacis
Vilkacis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vilkacis »

Rogue_A wrote:-Then, although off-topic, the other people play the MUD Achaea, but once again, it's fantasy. The races don't interest me a great deal.
Ahh, MUDs... fond memories... I've played quite a few MUDs over the years; even made a really simple one from scratch once (all you could do was talk, emote, and walk around, or if you had admin priveledges, edit rooms).

Achaea was actually pretty fun, once you got into it. More than once I found myself spending WAY too much time on there. In order to fix that problem I usually ended up deleting my character (First Taka, then Nekokun and Proditor *sniff* I still miss them). Hrm.. I always played Rajamalan characters. Shortly before I quit for good, I actually won second prize in one of their artisan contests with a photo manip I did. I was really disappointed, because it was so much better than the map that won first prize. Ah well... If you want to see my entry, it's here.

-- Vilkacis
TakeWalker
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The big one-one

Post by TakeWalker »

I'm primarily a player of D&D and Mutants and Masterminds. I've got experience with Whitewolf games, Shadowrun, Deadlands, Champions/Blood of Heroes/DC Heroes, Big Eyes Small Mouth, and more homebrews than you can shake a stick at. I've been working on a couple of my own, even.

I used to LARP (Whitewolf) when I was in high school, fell out once I got to college, and then became very cynical about it. I'd have picked it back up once I came home, but the players here are very heavy on the vampires. Being a werewolf was great; I'd even like to play a Changeling, because I never got a chance. But instead I now make fun of the dark princes of the night while I'm at work, and give nods to the ones I used to know.
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

The Moonstone has you...

Post by Scott Gardener »

My roots were with D&D like so many others; in the 80s, it was the definitive role-playing game, and it spawned a ton of imitators before people started innovating beyond its formulas. I came on when my sister bought a second edition copy of the basic D&D boxed set, and I soon converted over to AD&D, followed by the Unearthed Arcana revisions, followed by AD&D, second edition, which undid nearly everything in Unearthed Arcana. I also witnessed and welcomed the recent D&D Third Edition, which is really in essence the third edition of AD&D. (The Third Edition of D&D came out in the late eighties, making the official "Third Edition" under the Wizards of the Coast Administration technically a fourth edition. But, dropping a seperate D&D / AD&D was one of the best improvements.) So far, I haven't bought the 3.5 edition, which is just a tweak of existing rules.

Before discussing other games, I do have to mention a particularly important D&D campaign I played in, using the Ravenloft setting. It only ran for six games, and it was poorly organized in retrospect, but it was a very important transitional game, setting the flavor of gaming and life in general to come. It was a very emotional storyline, far more so than any previous gaming experience. It got me out of the dice and into character, setting me up for games like...

White Wolf's Werewolf: the Apocalypse. I GMed ("Storyteller-ed") a campaign using this game. Actually, the game became more tongue-in-cheek after a short while, but it was very fun.

Most of my emotional investments that couldn't go into Ravenloft after the campaign fizzled went instead into Moonstone, a game system and setting I invented. Yes, every gamer has to invent one's own system sooner or later. You can see the latest version of Moonstone at:

http://www.geocities.com/jonlrabbit/moo ... stone.html

It's not exactly Digital Burn ready-for-prime-time, but the game system it was back in the early nineties was even messier, and I ran the first of two campaigns without a well-defined combat system. The first campaign was set in a world-setting patterned loosely after late nineteenth century England, with a much higher magic index and a lot of overlap from parallel worlds intruding. The second campaign was a spin-off set between a faerie realm and sixteenth century Europe.

There were a number of symbol coincidences with The Matrix, so seeing that movie six years later was spooky. I had a "potion of chaos" that was colored a swirling red and blue, and in the finale of the second campaign, the party encountered a device known as "The Fading," which I described as being within a "Gigeresque landscape" in which large numbers of people were connected into the construct, which generated an alternate reality from their dreams. One of the players played a character named Joel Silver, again six years before a real person by that name produced The Matrix. If only I had done my combat scenes in floating slow-mo...

My friend Thomas Weigel is probably the greatest role-playing gamer I've ever known. He's a professional, working for Steve Jackson Games, and I gamed with him since 1985. He also co-developed a lot of story ideas, including the background setting and timeline used in my second novel. He ran a number of gaming campaigns, but the most influential ones in my life and creative processes were:

1. The Genetic Wars--he and I co-developed. Not quite a table-top game so much as a shared storyline that we role-played out over time as something to do over numerous high-school lunch breaks. He gave me story rights, and it's now evolving into a major project on my part...

2. Ell'Jaret: The New Pantheon--a series of games he ran using his self-designed Phoenix game system. Thomas ran a gaming party of some ten to fourteen players at a time, each event running over two days, definitely disproving the stereotype of gamers as introverts with few social skills.

3. "Galactic Empires" play-by-mail--again a game system of his own design, inspired by the Galactic Empires Apple IIe game. Players portrayed star-faring civilizations discovering each other and interacting through treaty negotiations, interstellar commerce, or old-fashioned starship combat. I played the Lykosan Empire, a group of wolf anthropomorphs coming to terms with their new-found world unity under Queen Moira. I have an unfinished story based on that game, detailing some of the game's events, as well as detailing elements of Lykosan civilization. (I described some five major factions still at work coming to terms with unity after the System War some 75-80 years earlier.)

My web site about the Genetic Wars story details Thomas Weigel and several other highly influential people.

http://www.geocities.com/jonlrabbit/gal ... tects.html

Another campaign of note is a series of GURPS games set in a world influenced by Shadowrun, taking the same concept but building an original setting. I played an elf mage with a drug problem and a phobia of cybernetics, because of a bizarre world-travelling accident in which he entered the Star Trek universe and was briefly assimilated by the Borg. Same thing happened to me and my wife Cathey in Vegas.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Arania
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Arania »

Ahh, definately a gamer here ^_^. I've been playing various systems for about 10 years now, and loving them :3 - especially heavy RP groups as opposed to stat/power focused groups.

I've played most of the systems you've mentioned, though recently have been mainly doing D20 stuff. Honestly, I think a good GM and group of players can really make or break a system/setting. Even though D&D tends to be oversimplistic with lack of customization in characters with the level outlines and more rules focused than story/character focused in the books - a good concept, good players and a creative GM can be all that you need - the rules just being a backup to what's going on.
Goldenwolf
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Yes, -that- Goldenwolf

Post by Goldenwolf »

Table Tops, eh? Let's see...

D&D (Geeze, who hasn't?), specificly Dark Sun
Werewolf: The Apocalypse (knew this game from back to front)
Vampire:TM (only done a little of this)
Star Wars (only a little bit)
Lord of the Rings (before it was cool, and only a little)
Ghostbusters International (FUN!)
Cyber Punk 2010 (loved this one)
Various other Sci-Fi games I can't think of the names of now.

The only game I've ever LARPed is White Wolf. usually Werewolf but sometimes Vampire (and even then I'm STILL a werewolf). I -loved- LARPing. I wish I could get back into it. SOOOoooo much fun, and an awesome way to spend a Saturday night ;)
Over 25% of human genes are the same as those of a banana. Get over yourself.
SGrayWolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by SGrayWolf »

I've played AD&D a few times, I'm not very experienced in it but I do enjoy playing it. I've enjoyed the DragonLance books that I've read and the characters therein, probably because that's all I've gotten a chance to read so far. :oops:

I have a small sized little army in WarHammer now, I play the Dark Elves and love working on and painting the miniatures as well as making terrain/etc.

Card games?

Played Magic: The Gathering and still have my cards, the majority is from the Revised Edition before they babified the game and took out alot of the neat artwork/etc and IMHO screwed the game up with too much crap and nonsense.

I have Rage Cards (Limited Edition) which have never been played with, for one because I didn't know anyone to play with and I mainly bought them because they dealt with werewolves anyways. Good enough reason as any right? *chuckles*

I also have a few Star Trek: The Next Generation (White Border Edition) cards which I've played a few times with my brother.

Also have a few decks of Wyvern cards and played it a few times with my brother as well.

Online RPG games?

Used to practically live on Gemstone III all night and every night, when it was free and AOL charged you by the hour. Something about classic textual RPG MMORPGs that keep me hooked.

I'm sure there's other odds and ends out there I've played but I can't remember.
TakeWalker
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The big one-one

Post by TakeWalker »

Haha! Oh, wow, I used to have a bunch of Star Trek TNG cards. I played maybe three games with them before I stopped caring about it. Stupidly traded away my only artifact, too. That game is the reason I don't play CCGs: too much investment of time and money, and if no one plays it, you're screwed.
Arania
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Arania »

*smiles* Settings in particular, I'm currently in a long-running Ravenloft game that's nearing completion (first game I will have EVER played from first level to about 20th and actually had a set "end" - it's been a great run). Loved the Dragonlance books in HS but never actually played in the setting.

Also done a decent amount of the various White Wolf settings, (I think everything except Hunter and Wraith), and frequently a mixed bag.
Other than that various GURPS games, Shadowrun, Warhammer RP, some Palladium, etc etc etc

I've larped a few times, but unfortunately the local chapters aren't very friendly to new players.

Also have an on-again off-again relationship with Magic. And I used to play Rage, got out of it for years, and then a couple of years ago got back into it with a small group of friends, and nearly completed a set of the cards (minus like 4 of them) - and played until it got kind of redundant playing with the small group and one person who built rather frustrating decks.

And online... well.. Gaia online technically? ^^;
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary

...all that's left of that old religion...

Post by Scott Gardener »

My previous post more or less ignored card games.

I've done Magic: the Gathering. It was a big thing for me throughout my late college and entire medical school years. It involved a lot less preparation time than full RPG games, so it was good when I had to spend a lot of time studying but wanted short diversions. Designing a deck could be done in spare time, while drafting a campaign took weeks. Still, I ultimately prefer role-playing.

The only real reason I don't play Magic: the Gathering anymore is that no one else seems to around here. As I got older, the other players got younger, from fellow college students to high schoolers, and finally 12 to 13-year-olds, even as I was graduating from medical school. I could use some social ties locally who would be interested in the game.

At its peak, I had a huge collection. For a little while, I even had an Unlimited edition Black Lotus and three of the moxes, as well as two complete Revised sets, two additional sets of Revised dual lands, and complete sets of Antiquities, The Dark, Fallen Empires, Ice Age, Homelands, and Alliances. I've since sold off some of that stuff, and it's funded a lot of my technology. Almost half the money I spent to buy my first laptop in early 1997 came from trading in cards.

I'm still an Old School player, more familiar with Legends than the foil-coated stuff with the gold and silver expansion logos. It's funny to look at Antiquities cards today, because now they really do feel like ancient artifacts.

And, yes, I wish I kept my lotus and moxes. I thought they'd plateau around $400 or so, but I looked at Ebay and saw the lotus top $1000.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Trinity
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Midnite artist what arts at midnite!

Post by Trinity »

Old topic I know. ;) But I'm an avid gamer.

Ghostbusters ( yes like the movie )
White Wolf -multigenre ( everyone played soemthign different )
D&D
AD&D
Paranoia ( shortly )
Star Wars ( both old and new )
Deadlands ( Battle NUN! )
Pallidium
Cybrepunk
TOON
ADVENTURE! ( Battle Nub re-invented! with Nun-chucks!! GO ahead ask I dare you. ;) )
IronClaw ( Anthromorphic Animal RPG, I have most, not all but most of the books )
BESM ( Big Eyes Small Mouth, Anime RPG )
Star Gate ( current )

Pern ( copyright Anne McCaffery ) fan-fic club
WW Livejournal group
WW. play by email..,

Yeah. Gamer nut. ;)

I also help run an OWbN Chronicle in Philadelphia of Werewolf the Apocolyspe. :) LARPing is great fun. By the end of August me and one other ST will be running it. There is also a Mage and Vampire Larp in the same "world space" in the city. *grins*