Disapontmet at DragonCon Art Show 2006 new rules

General convention type stuff.
Shadowsaber
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Silver shadowsaber the six tailed

Disapontmet at DragonCon Art Show 2006 new rules

Post by Shadowsaber »

:x Not sure why the Art show turn into a Good-Old-Boys Club but Now you can't get in unless your really good frinds or a Big name artist. they waht to push away new artist and Students just cuse your don't have :good Work for time" or you can be rejected cuz you don't have they like as art. from winning at the art show four time to bing rejected for any resone sucks. :cry: I love dragon con but the art show is now closed off. this Sucks I'm like a omaga wolf pup get step on by big men-eatting Alpha Wolves. this Sucks
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Thats terrrible news it really is. they should never exclude anyone from the art show, otherwise how will people build up confidence.

And I hate to break it to you but, you should really try thinking about what topic to put in a thread cause this should be at the convention thread or at General Stuff.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Shadowsaber
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Shadowsaber »

that waht I'm getting at how can artist get anything out to the public.
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The one and only were-jaguarundi!

Post by PariahPoet »

Beh, that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard! And besides, you are well-respected in the anthro community that should tell them something. But I agree with ShadowWolf. I don't see what the benefit would be of excluding someone's art from the art show. I think anyone who wants to present their work should have the opportunity.
Shadowsaber
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Shadowsaber »

yeah in light of the matter I need to let the D*C show go and keep working on what I feel is good work. I will get stuff to other art shows and who know maybe I'll have Pubilcation. I really need to get back with White Wolf Art editer and take the invite. but I have to seen in more work and I want to make sure it Copyrigh for the next series. Dragon conArt show is not my whole life. :( I'll get over it
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: HERO OF NIGHTMARES
Additional Details: I just don't care.
Mood: Indifferent

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

Hmmmmmmmmm...

Reminds me of the time Otakon decided to illegalize fanart sales within their venue. How f*** rich was that?
wolfenknight
Legendary
Legendary

Post by wolfenknight »

Why don't we do something about that so you can be able to show your work at any con including the dragoncon?
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

You can't really force convention management to allow independent artists. You can, however, push to make it unfashionable not to allow them. For starters, we can all agree to give preferential treatment to the cons that support them, or even boycott those that don't. Money talks.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Shadowsaber
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Shadowsaber »

thats true
hydrocarbon
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Random passerby

Post by hydrocarbon »

Well, the sad but true truth is that most people want to see awesome, high-level art. And if you ain't got it, they don't want it.
"Weresharks? You idiot, there's no such thing as wereshaAAAGH OHGODMYLEG!"

Shadowsaber
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Shadowsaber »

Yeah I don't mind it
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

hydrocarbon wrote:Well, the sad but true truth is that most people want to see awesome, high-level art. And if you ain't got it, they don't want it.
Well, I do have to agree with you there. For instance, when you look up for drawings and artwork on google, you never save the crappy ones really, just the best and coolest ones.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

Actually, some of the best art I've seen is the Indie art. The commercial art can get really great, I grant, but it sometimes can get so commercialized that the personality gets lost. Next time you go to a convention and look at the illustrations of faerie women, try to see whether they've got any personalities at all; do they look like particular faerie women, or just models shrunken, given wings, and plunked on a toadstool but airbrushed to grandeur without real substance?

Some of the pros survived the transition extremely well; my wife Cathey and I are both fond of the works of Nene Tina Thomas, for example, and we also liked Susan Van Camp. Basically, if you're a lady and you did art early on for Magic: the Gathering, you probably rock. Some of the others looked great visually but lacked individuality. Compare that to Arania's work; her illustrations are very distinctive; each one is of a particular character--not just a werewolf, but of a particular werewolf.

Examples of above artists' works:

Nene Thomas: http://www.nenethomas.com/
Susan Van Camp: http://www.artbysvc.com/catalog01/images/6.html
Arania: http://www.deviantart.com/view/32639755/
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Shadowsaber
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Shadowsaber »

yeah i have to send in better samples but odd thing is the show never rejected me before, at lest they could tell what was wrong or a list what the gildlines to what they want. I wounden't mind it but then again last year art show I was rejected for another resone. my card payment didn't come through. the office called me up about using another form of payment. I happie gave them another card. but the Art show dirtector told me of another new rule where your card didn't go through then you out the show for this year...hmmm. all I can say is the show got so big and so ccommercialized that its all about high end art.....well thats my take on it :|

Oh well I'll just have to send my best samples and have moneyorder. and get ready for next year...But it may be something to do with me working at dragoncon some how.... :(
garouda
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Do You Believe In Magic ?

Post by garouda »

In other forums than this I have seen folks put forward the opinion that admission to art shows ought to be juried. In essence, that is an effort to shut out other less prominent and less validated artists in favour of the more established ones when space is limited. The argument for this being that the more vetted or 'professional' artists are dependant upon this for their livelihood and thus have a greater right to space when space is low. Truth is there are two sides to this argument, but in essence, that is how such an arrangement works. Perhaps the venue feels it will make more money with only big money artists.

Part of these arguments were that ALL larger cons do this and that as cons get larger, admission to the arts shows should be vetted.

In truth some of the larger cons do this. But what is probably the biggest of them all, does not seem to. Comicon is a HUGE con. Immense. Astonishingly so. But even so, I have seen the work of young new artists in this show and frankly I like that a lot.

Art show admissions rules Comic-Con 2008

I really do like to see new and up and coming artists as much as the established ones.
The change, does it wrack the bones and rend the flesh ? Yes, indeed it does. But is this pain and agony alone ? No, in fact hardly at all. It is the Sacrament of the Moon. The flesh flows and so do the endorphins. It is, in truth, the agony ecstatic; The Pain That Is Pleasure