Is there going to be a Costuming, Mascoat and Fursuit Fourum

General convention type stuff.
Shadowsaber
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Silver shadowsaber the six tailed

Is there going to be a Costuming, Mascoat and Fursuit Fourum

Post by Shadowsaber »

I want to ask on request about a Costuming and Fursuit Forum on the Packsite. you know some about Costume Q&As topic on where to buy the best fur. Tips on suits and mask and so on? that would be great. :shift:
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The one and only were-jaguarundi!

Post by PariahPoet »

That would be awesome.
So far I've been haunting Spark's fursuit page for that info, but I'd like to see something like that available on this site as well.
Shadowsaber
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Shadowsaber »

it woul;d be even better if there is a Gallary for Fursuits and Maskscot too. or reqesting help like how to do wings or what kind of clay used in the mask. :o
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary

Post by PariahPoet »

Indeed. But I doubt that it's going to happen because we have so many fur-phobes here. :roll:
Miragh
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: full moon addict

Post by Miragh »

PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary

Post by PariahPoet »

Uh-huh. So cooking is were enough, but not werewolf costumes?

And I don't care whether people like furs or not. That's their own choice, but I have seen firsthand many people here vehemently scream against me calling my costumes 'fursuits' just because they think it makes them sound perverted. Sounds pretty much like an irrational fear to me.
Miragh
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: full moon addict

Post by Miragh »

No, cooking is general enough.

Fursuits are associated with the furry fandom, and that's
not what this forum is about.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

Miragh wrote:No, cooking is general enough.

Fursuits are associated with the furry fandom, and that's
not what this forum is about.
I understand what you are saying, and agree that we should stay focused and remember that THE PACK is Werewolf themed community, and not let it loose it's direction and become another random Furry site.

However... THE PACK is all about the fandom, lore and creation of Werewolf Related Things, such as art, novels, films and more.

A section on the creation of Werewolf Costumes (for various purposes, from Halloween costumes to actual Movie makeup) I think would be perfectly relevant to the general spirit of this community.

Like the "Creative Den" section, however, I think it would be best to strongly encourage those interested to share primarily 'Werewolf' costumes, and fewer Kitty Cats and Whatever else, (unless, perhaps it is a Were-Tiger?).

...actually...is there any reason why Costumes would not fit under the "Creative Den" Category?

A costume, like a sculpture, is essentially 3D art, isn't it?

Perhaps we really don't need an entirely separate category for that.
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Teh_DarkJokerWolf
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Disappointed

Post by Teh_DarkJokerWolf »

YES LETS MAKE ONE!! :Jester3: I agree it fits perfectly for this forum :howl:  :oo
ABrownrigg
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ABrownrigg »

My statements about this furry vs. werewolves thing.

I was fortunate enough myself to enter this project completely from the outside. Hell before freeborn I was working on a sci-fi series called Digital Burn. I didn't know the meaning of furry, therian, pshift, mshift, astral, aura etc. etc.

So many on this particular forum are facets of one or more of these.

Watching the bickering between the furry vs. non-furry thing is like watching Democrats and Republicans fight each other over who can prove who's the 'good' side or the 'evil' side.

We all draw our own conclusions through life, often those conclusions change over time based on our experiences. My own personal conclusion is that we're all fans.

Yes, I said it.. Fans.

Fans of the fantastical.. whether that fantastical be the serious/real paranormal, spirit, type, OR the non-real type of wanting to feel like an animal by way of wearing a furry suit. Ultimately, we're all in human bodies.. all of us day to day trying to get by, pay our bills, get through school, try not to get killed when we walk across the street. Eat, sleep, etc. etc.

In this we are all equal.

The unfortunate nature of this is that everyone wants to put 'label's on everything, in order to determine whether its the 'right' answer to the ultimate questions everyone asks. 'Who am I?, Where did I come from? an How long have I got? (thank you blade runner)

It is the 'stigma's' that sets emotions on edge in my limited experience. I have known furries that I would trust with my life, I have also met therians that have shown me ways of seeing the world and life that I had never thought of before. And have met fans that I would love to just share a beer with on a rainy summer afternoon. Here we all are, on this little planet spinning in the solar system.

Should there be a 'furry' section? No.. that label is unfortunately a rather stigmatic label.. If someone thinks wearing a fursuit is cool then fine, if someone things that turning into a bipedal wolf during the full moon is cool then that's fine too. Ultimately, we're all pack here.. Pack sticks together whether we agree with each others views or not..

Man 1 hits his younger brother in the arm. Younger brother winces in pain.
Man 2 Hits Man 1's brother in the arm as well. Younger brother winces in pain.
Man 1 proceeds to beat Man 2 to a pulp.

Man 2 "But you just hit him too.."
Man 1 "Yeah, but he's MY brother!"

There are plenty of places for folks to go and 'flaun't the furry label. So I dont want the word furry used, because that label has negative connotations, that frankly I think most furries dont deserve.

BUT, making a costume doesnt make you a furry. I'm making costumes on freeborn, and I'm not a furry.

So.. in conclusion.. my personal opinion about a costuming forum.

I think its a great idea.. I think we should set the creative den 'outside' the 'what should a werewolf be".. and make it its own Category, IN that category, we can have artwork, costuming, music, poetry, writing, etc. etc. etc. And then we can put a special 'werewolf' related thread in the
What should a werewolf be.. and just link back to the creative den threads that have werewolf costume, art, writing, stuff. Hell we even got a good idea on animatronic tails from a furry site. Those fursuiters have to usually work on a budget, so they've had to get real creative, its impressive technically and if I can use that information and apply it to a werewolf? I'm sold.

anyhoo, thank you all for letting me get that off my chest, I know its not the right topic for that, but It just relates to me.

AB
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

ABrownrigg wrote:
So.. in conclusion.. my personal opinion about a costuming forum.

I think its a great idea.. I think we should set the creative den 'outside' the 'what should a werewolf be".. and make it its own Category, IN that category, we can have artwork, costuming, music, poetry, writing, etc. etc. etc. And then we can put a special 'werewolf' related thread in the
What should a werewolf be.. and just link back to the creative den threads that have werewolf costume, art, writing, stuff. Hell we even got a good idea on animatronic tails from a furry site. Those fursuiters have to usually work on a budget, so they've had to get real creative, its impressive technically and if I can use that information and apply it to a werewolf? I'm sold.

anyhoo, thank you all for letting me get that off my chest, I know its not the right topic for that, but It just relates to me.

AB

Interesting.

I'll get right on it. :D
ABrownrigg
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ABrownrigg »

N o no no.. that's not an order..
its a suggestion to put out there. :)
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

ABrownrigg wrote:N o no no.. that's not an order..
its a suggestion to put out there. :)

ok...you're the boss. :D
Shadowsaber
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Shadowsaber »

Oh I wasn't meaning Furry stuff just Werewolf costumes. not like I hate but thats what it's call a fursuit. anyway that kind of costumes can be found at anime fantasy and movies.
ABrownrigg
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ABrownrigg »

I agree.. I think all types of costuming would be well placed here IF you're a pack member. :)
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

Sounds good.

I think a "Costuming" section would be a great addition.

- - - - - - -

It will be best to avoid calling it the "Fursuit" section, for the reasons Anthony already stated, being:

A: Unfortunately, the word has some (mostly undeserving) negative preconceptions attached to it.

...and...

B: Making a cool costume does not automatically make you a FURRY, and therefore, it would be inaccurate to call all Wolf Costumes "FurSuits".

- - - - - - -

I would love to see what kinds of cool stuff all our members have created. ...and who knows...maybe I'll be inspired to make my own Werewolf (WereFox?) Costume for Halloween next year. (Like I've thought about doing every year for the past decade)

Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary

Post by PariahPoet »

Yep, generic "costume" section sounds good to me. :D

So long as people quit jumping on me if I call my own costumes fursuits. I'm getting about tired of that. :roll:
Teh_DarkJokerWolf
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Disappointed

Post by Teh_DarkJokerWolf »

ABrownrigg wrote:I agree.. I think all types of costuming would be well placed here IF you're a pack member. :)
Yes!! This is awesomes!! Why didn't someone think of it before?! :Jester3:
Kaebora
Custom Title: Werehare In Disguise
Mood: RAR!

Post by Kaebora »

Props deserves its own section too. Swords, guns, jewelry, etc. It all falls into a catagory of prop-making, if not costumes in general.
Lurking softly, reading your posts, loving your ideas...
-Kaebora
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

I'm glad we seem to be moving forward with the idea. I was going to vote for it. I still am; I'm just happy it's a landslide so far in favor.

Yes, cooking is more broad and general than furry fandom, but let's face it; werewolf fandom right now is still a bit of a niche, too. We're not exactly our own section of Blockbuster Video, wedged between Comedy and Westerns. Most people think we're a sub-group of horror.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Midnight
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Midnight »

Well, I'm just the new bloke here so sorry in advance if this goes over old ground... but just having a quick look at the forums I see:

The Ultimate Werewolf - the first section, looks like it's for in-depth discussion about werewolves themselves;
Werewolf films, novels and comics - the second section, looks like it's for discussion on specific creative works.

I notice that "The Creative Den" is in the first, not the second section. I presume there's a historic reason for that, but would it be an idea to shift it to the second forum? Then you could also add to that second section something like "Werewolf Crafts", for props, figures, jewellery etc. (as in Kaebora's suggestion), and for fur suits, costumes etc.

(Incidentally I've never figured out why a furry fan dressing up as an anthropomorphic character is any weirder than a Trekkie dressing up in a Starfleet uniform... but that's another debate entirely...)
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

Trekkies in turn have pointed out how odd it really is in essence to wear a basketball shirt to the mall with no hoops or court in sight or to have on clothing on a day to day basis identifying you to football teammates as John Elway of the Denver Broncos or Troy Aikman of the Dallas Cowboys.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Midnight
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Midnight »

... Very good point Scott. Particularly when you see that sort of clothing in a country where the teams have never even played... I know that eight or ten years ago a few people I know used to go around with "Raiders" shirts. Not quite sure what they even were (American football?) but that's a sport that has almost zero presence here (around here "football" is rugby union, "league" is rugby league and "soccer" is association football...) I sincerely doubt that the people wearing the shirts had ever seen a game or could name a single team member... they just thought it was a "cool" logo.

mind you I can't talk with my concert tour T-shirt when I can't really do anything musical...
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

PariahPoet wrote:So long as people quit jumping on me if I call my own costumes fursuits. I'm getting about tired of that. :roll:
If that's what it is...that's what it is... Image

I actually love fursuits. I think most of them are simply delightful, and just fun to see.

...however, if I was ever going to make one myself (a 'Fursuit' that is), I would love to try to go for more of the 'makeup' look, and less of the 'Cartoon Mascot' look.

Like this guy...
I don't even remember where I got this picture from, but I just love this guys costume. That's what I call going the extra mile. He looks like he could walk right onto a movie set with that on. (...don't know what kind of movie that would be, but it sure looks like fun.)

- - - - - - - - - -
Kaebora wrote:Props deserves its own section too. Swords, guns, jewelry, etc. It all falls into a catagory of prop-making, if not costumes in general.
I was thinking about that earlier today. Props, accessories...and other kinds of costumes too. Pirates...Ninjas...Old Victorian...Space Aliens...Zombies...Storm Trooper armor...

Why Not? Image

=^.^'= ~
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary

Post by PariahPoet »

Oh yes, make-up and prosthetics are awesome. That's the approach I took to my first wereside costume-
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/248 ... ort%3Atime
Still love that style.
In fact, that's one of the reasons I am taking "principals of stage make-up" this semester as an elective.