Akugarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Something wicked
Mood: Meh...

Re: A-Kon 20

Post by Akugarou »

Reports of my demise have been greatly exaggerated. :D

So, there is was. Sitting in front of my TV; watching cartoons and eating Captain Crunch, when suddenly I had this thought: How can I blow a whole sh*t load of money in the most inefficient way known to man? :?

"I know!" I said, startling one of my cats. "I'll find a convention to go to! But which one? It will have to be 12-13 hours away, so I can blow massive funds on gas. It will have to be over 3-4 days so I can flush a ton of $$$ on lodging, food, and other necessities." ?? Hmm...

Then, like instant karma, I remember a post from DarkJokerWolf on another site, which asked if anyone there would be going to A-kon 20. I replied with a definite, maybe. Some things will have to be sorted out before I go (like where to stay, Fri-Sun nights). And, I understand I have less than two months to get my sh*t together, but I believe I can do it.

Oh. And I'll be 47 in May.
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

That's the spirit! Who needs money, anyway? That pesky papery stuff just attracts solicitors and mortgage-backed securities.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Teh_DarkJokerWolf
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Disappointed

Post by Teh_DarkJokerWolf »

yay I hope you can come Akugarou :jester: I will see if those rooming with me mind if we add another person so you can stay. I found out you can order a roll away bed for $20 more, but I have to ask them first. Also I reserved the room today! I got the LAST 2 bed room because I made the call today :P $154 a night. I am going to be arriving on Thursday myself to have time to chill before the con the following day.The price is still $154, so anyone who wants to hang out Thursday feel free to come. I think it'll be awesome considering new faces will be seen. :jester:
Wingman
Game Master
Game Master
Custom Title: Dastardly ne'er-do-well in search of a lickspittle

Post by Wingman »

I'll be there with bells on.
http://stevebot-7.deviantart.com/
Quod sumus hoc eritis

Aspirant writer-artist.
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

Wingman wrote:I'll be there with bells on.
Are bells allowed past the security checkpoint? I can't remember.
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
Wingman
Game Master
Game Master

Post by Wingman »

Lupin wrote:
Are bells allowed past the security checkpoint? I can't remember.
Probably not, knowing the way things work I'll be lucky to get through there with even my underwear intact. Should probably just cut my losses and wear a bathrobe there and back.
Quod sumus hoc eritis

Aspirant writer-artist.
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The one and only were-jaguarundi!

Post by PariahPoet »

Joker- Sorry I've had such a hard time getting with you about this! (Lack of internets is killin' meh!) But me and Daniel are in for the room, so we'll see you there! :D

(btw- is that 154 each or total before we divide the cost?)
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Scott Gardener wrote:That's the spirit! Who needs money, anyway? That pesky papery stuff just attracts solicitors and mortgage-backed securities.
You need it to purchase items from the dealers room. And to pay for the room, food, ETC.

I don't plan on buying anything from the dealers room. I'm not going to have much to bring anyways. Just enough for food and my share of the room.

Can't wait to meet everyone there!! :D

O'RLY? Well, I'll be there with knobs on AND duckies in hand!! :lol:
Teh_DarkJokerWolf
Legendary
Legendary

I want to see this :Jester3:
PariahPoet wrote:Joker- Sorry I've had such a hard time getting with you about this! (Lack of internets is killin' meh!) But me and Daniel are in for the room, so we'll see you there! :D

(btw- is that 154 each or total before we divide the cost?)
No worries I understand. It is a total of $462 for 3 nights. There are 4 people though. Now I divided $462 between 4 people and came to $115.5 So roughly $115 from everyone. Good deal to me considering the plane ticket is nearly $300 for me. You need the net back pariah lol
Wingman
Game Master
Game Master

Post by Wingman »

I'm kinda tempted to show up in a hardhat.
Quod sumus hoc eritis

Aspirant writer-artist.
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary

Post by PariahPoet »

Ok, I can handle that then. ^^ Me and Daniel will probably be getting there Friday. I probably won't have a lot of money for meals, so I may be bringing sandwich stuff. XD

If you guys are up for it maybe we could all get together and each bring chips/drinks/sandwich stuff and eat cheap for a couple meals and have more money for the dealers' room. ^^
Teh_DarkJokerWolf
Legendary
Legendary

Wingman wrote:I'm kinda tempted to show up in a hardhat.
Oh? Why the hard hat? :Jester3:

PariahPoet wrote:Ok, I can handle that then. ^^ Me and Daniel will probably be getting there Friday. I probably won't have a lot of money for meals, so I may be bringing sandwich stuff. XD

If you guys are up for it maybe we could all get together and each bring chips/drinks/sandwich stuff and eat cheap for a couple meals and have more money for the dealers' room. ^^
Well since I am coming from a different state bringing sandwich stuff might not be a good idea for me. I have to look around the area for places to buy some grub lol

I really want to have funds for the artists so they can draw stuff for me lol
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

PariahPoet wrote:Ok, I can handle that then. ^^ Me and Daniel will probably be getting there Friday. I probably won't have a lot of money for meals, so I may be bringing sandwich stuff. XD

That's a good idea. This way we can have munchies to eat while watching a DVD or playing games. I'll see what I can bring. Better yet, make a list of your favorite eats and post it here.
Teh_DarkJokerWolf
Legendary
Legendary

Figarou wrote:

That's a good idea. This way we can have munchies to eat while watching a DVD or playing games. I'll see what I can bring. Better yet, make a list of your favorite eats and post it here.
Hmm. Well I would just suggest like, well chips and and maybe some lil snacky cakes. I know there is a place nearby I could by some drinks. I walked to it myself when I came to a-kon last. I don't want you paying for everything Figarou. I will see what is in the area I could walk to or take a bus to. It is not fair since money is tight for everyone.
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary

Post by PariahPoet »

I don't mind driving us to a grocery store. Joker- I didn't mean for you to smuggle snacks on the plane. XD
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

PariahPoet wrote:I don't mind driving us to a grocery store. Joker- I didn't mean for you to smuggle snacks on the plane. XD

The problem with driving after you found a spot to park is that you may not get that same spot when you return. You'll end up parking farther away from the hotel.

I'll try and bring some good snacks. And maybe some meals. It depends if the rooms has a microwave.
Teh_DarkJokerWolf
Legendary
Legendary

Figarou wrote:
PariahPoet wrote:I don't mind driving us to a grocery store. Joker- I didn't mean for you to smuggle snacks on the plane. XD

The problem with driving after you found a spot to park is that you may not get that same spot when you return. You'll end up parking farther away from the hotel.

I'll try and bring some good snacks. And maybe some meals. It depends if the rooms has a microwave.
Ah he's right Pariah. I really don't mind walking around or taking a bus somewhere. I don't want you to lose your spot or anything.
Wingman
Game Master
Game Master

Post by Wingman »

I'm doing a flurry of searches, and I just want to be sure.

The address of the convention hotel is 400 N Olive St, Dallas, TX 75201., correct?
Because, some google surfing has led me to believe there's multiple Sheraton hotels in the general area.
But, the A-Kon website lists that address, so I'm reasonably sure that's the one I want to go to.
Quod sumus hoc eritis

Aspirant writer-artist.
Teh_DarkJokerWolf
Legendary
Legendary

Wingman wrote:I'm doing a flurry of searches, and I just want to be sure.

The address of the convention hotel is 400 N Olive St, Dallas, TX 75201., correct?
Because, some google surfing has led me to believe there's multiple Sheraton hotels in the general area.
But, the A-Kon website lists that address, so I'm reasonably sure that's the one I want to go to.
It is indeed.
Teh_DarkJokerWolf
Legendary
Legendary

A-kon might not happen this year sadly because of some family issues. I will still pay for my part of the room, but it may just not happen and that's just the way it is :(
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary

Post by PariahPoet »

Nooooo!!!!! :(
I hope everything is going to be ok with your family and I really hope things will change and you'll be able to make it. :(

If you find out for sure that you absolutely can't make it I'll try to get one of the lonestarfurs to fill the spot so you won't have to try and cover your part. I would really, really, really rather have you though. :(
Teh_DarkJokerWolf
Legendary
Legendary

Believe me I will try my very best to make this happen. I just have to see how things go from here on out though. I really want to be there this year. I may not even get my fursuit made either. Everything really is just based on time.
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

Joker, I really do hope you're able to make it. I have been looking forward to seeing you with the rest of us.

Figarou: I don't think our room will have a microwave. I do plan on bringing a large surplus of snacks and drinks to share with you and the other roommates, knowing how tight money is for everyone and how expensive food can be at the con. I also plan on bringing back at least one of the Intercontinental Ballistic Duckies this year, since Pack turnout was so scattered last year.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Not only is hotel food expensive, it also makes me sick. Unless it's one of those healthy meals. Pizza, chilli dogs, and hamburgers are out of my diet. I'm going to look around the grocery store for meals that can eaten without heating it 1st. I can't live off of snacks alone.

I also need to limit my walking so my back and legs won't give out on me. I already been to the hospital because of it. I don't want it to happen again at a-kon.
Wingman
Game Master
Game Master

Post by Wingman »

Figarou wrote:Not only is hotel food expensive, it also makes me sick. Unless it's one of those healthy meals. Pizza, chilli dogs, and hamburgers are out of my diet. I'm going to look around the grocery store for meals that can eaten without heating it 1st. I can't live off of snacks alone.

I also need to limit my walking so my back and legs won't give out on me. I already been to the hospital because of it. I don't want it to happen again at a-kon.
Sandwiches would seem like a good idea. Get a bunch of stuff and people can make their own.

I suppose we can carry you around like some wealthy Roman, whilst you throw duckies at people.
Quod sumus hoc eritis

Aspirant writer-artist.