Please Read: Formal Role-Playing

Here you can role-play as your favorite character in a structured and planned environment that requires commitment from players and storytellers alike.

Moderators: Silvermoon, Silver Predator Wolf, Wingman, Thunderclaw, Grayheart

Anubis
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Eletist Jerk

Please Read: Formal Role-Playing

Post by Anubis »

Okay as my first act as Game Master (Man, i love the sound of that!! :P ) I thought it was a good idea to cut 'n' paste Vilkacis's post regarding the Formal RP section
Vilkacis wrote:Subject: Please Read: Formal Role-Playing

This section is for players and storytellers/game masters who are willing to place themselves under stricter guidelines and commitments for the sake of the game. Some of these requirements may include the following, but are ultimately up to the individual running each game.

History, Lore, Plot, and Setting.

Storytellers and game masters often spend a lot of time and effort constructing a rich environment for players to experience. Players should respect this and make a good effort to maintain consistency and plausibility, for their own enjoyment as well as others'. It's up to the game master to set the stage, but it's up to the players to make it a good game. Remember: it only takes one person to make the game a bad experience for everyone. The best players think about others at least as much as themselves.

If a game master makes lore available, such as world history, culture, etc., it is within reason to ask and expect players to read and abide by it. It's usually pretty obvious when a player hasn't.

Spelling and Grammar

No one is expected to be a literary expert, but it's not unreasonable for a game master to ask players to maintain some minimum level of quality in their text. Even if not asked, it is polite to make a reasonable effort to spell words correctly and use them appropriately. Re-read your post a couple times to make sure.

no 1 wnts 2 rd ths wtf lol

Joining a Game

A game master will usually make it clear when they are looking for players to join a game and what you need to do if you want in. If you are unsure, it's OK to PM them to ask.

Also, don't be offended if they say no. When a game is in progress and going well, a new player can easily upset the balance, even a very skilled one.

Game masters are not required to let someone join a game. It's a privilege, not a right, and it may be revoked at any time for any reason.

Record-Keeping

Players may be asked to keep track of various things like character descriptions, skills, spells, inventory, and various bits of this and that. ...or the game master may choose to do this for them. These tools help maintain consistency, and an effort should be made to always keep them accurate and up-to-date.

Game Systems

Some game masters and players prefer more free-form storytelling, while others prefer systems and game mechanics to decide the outcome of events. Whichever the case is, be sure to stick to the rules as they've been presented. If books or other resources are required, make sure you have reasonable access to them. As far as the rules go, the game master has final say.

Power-playing

Keep things realistic for the current setting, but also keep your character balanced with the other players' characters. No one likes it when someone tries to make their character better than everyone else's. Playing a role-playing game is more of a partnership than anything else.

Don't always try to take the spotlight. Give others a chance to shine. This makes the game an enjoyable experience for all.

In a similar sense, unless you have been given permission to do so, do not take control of someone else's character (even a non-player character) for even the smallest reason (this is good advice for game masters, too, except for the bit about NPCs).

Finally, don't just go and take control of circumstances either. Some reasonable assumptions are OK, but picking up a sword out of thin air the game master didn't say was there might mean it disappears just as quickly after you get over your temporary bout of insanity. Use common sense. Get to know your group and you'll get to know what they'll put up with or not.

In-Character vs. Out-of-Character

In-character (IC) text and out-of-character (OOC) text should be kept separate and distinct. Some game masters and players don't mind out-of-character text in the game, while others may ask that it be kept to non-in-character threads.

Time Commitment

Forum games are difficult to run without some sort of schedule and significant time commitment. If players agree to regular meetings, it is polite, of course, to show up. Always let the game master know ahead of time if you are unable to attend.

Some game masters may choose to assign 'homework' between sessions. This is part of the commitment to a good game.

Signatures

Game masters may reasonably request that players disable non-game-related signatures while making in-character posts. Even if not asked, this is a polite thing to do. The fewer outside disturbances in a game, the better.

Identifying a Game

Every game and its related posts should have a unique identifier in the name so that players can differentiate between separate games. Things will get confusing quickly if this standard is not upheld.

Game Masters

Those who are running a serious game may ask to be granted the forum 'Game Master' rank for the duration of the game. This rank enables the person running the game to exercise moderative powers in their threads. Game masters may use it for organizational purposes and to enhance the quality of the gaming experience they offer. A game master should be very, very careful not to abuse their power or it will be taken from them.

Back-up Your Games

Game masters and players are encouraged to keep back-up copies of the games they participate in.

-- Vilkacis
THE GAME

My Armory
Cinder
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Cinder »

:) Thank you Anubis, I hope everyone reads this tidbit.
My dA Page - stop by!
Want a Free Art Trade? Just PM me =^^= A bit inactive here - but you can always find me on dA!
Vilkacis
Legendary
Legendary

Re: Please Read: Formal Role-Playing

Post by Vilkacis »

Game Masters

Those who are running a serious game may ask to be granted the forum 'Game Master' rank for the duration of the game. This rank enables the person running the game to exercise moderative powers in their threads. Game masters may use it for organizational purposes and to enhance the quality of the gaming experience they offer. A game master should be very, very careful not to abuse their power or it will be taken from them.
I'm happy you all are enthusiastic about this new section and the new rank!

However, it really is an misuse of the power to be making new sticky threads, no matter how good your intentions. That's a job for moderators.

To clarify, the Game Master rank only signifies that:

a) You are currently, right now or very soon, running a game, and

b) You have a little bit of power to use to make that game better, and for no other reason whatsoever.

Some examples of valid uses of the rank:

* Splitting one of your world history threads where discussion lead to something important.

* Removing spam in your game thread.

* Removing a post where someone broke the rules or did something that didn't quite make sense. (Always, always, always send a copy of it back to them with an explanation why it was removed.)

* Locking your character thread to indicate that no new players are being accepted.

Note that all of these examples are for your game only.

Some examples of invalid uses:

* Making a Sticky or Announcement without permission from the moderator.

* Deleting or editing posts in someone else's thread.

* Moderating people's posts or behavior outside of your own game.

In other words, if it doesn't pertain directly to your game, you'd better think twice, and then think twice again, before doing it!

-- Vilkacis
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Eletist Jerk

Post by Anubis »

oh sorry :( i'll keep that in mind for now on
THE GAME

My Armory
Cinder
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Cinder »

Yes, we all will. :(
My dA Page - stop by!
Want a Free Art Trade? Just PM me =^^= A bit inactive here - but you can always find me on dA!
Vilkacis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vilkacis »

Tokzopbed wrote:Too early...
'fraid so...

-- Vilkacis