The New World--OOC

Here you can role-play as your favorite character in a structured and planned environment that requires commitment from players and storytellers alike.

Moderators: Silvermoon, Silver Predator Wolf, Wingman, Thunderclaw, Grayheart

Wingman
Game Master
Game Master
Custom Title: Dastardly ne'er-do-well in search of a lickspittle

Re: The New World--OOC

Post by Wingman »

I was hoping that someone else would strike up a conversation with you too, but guess not.

As it's nearly 6 am, and I'm very tired, I feel that now is a good time to ask you folks what you want to get out of this RP. Do you want deep characters and intricate plots, action, philosophical robot preachers?

Likewise, do you want to remain as a group, or would you prefer more individual experiences? I don't want some of you to feel left out when you're dragged along with the others, or that there's nothing for you to do if others post first.
So, let me know. Ask me questions, as they'll only help me develop this story. If you don't want to say it here, at least PM, or send an email, but please say something.
http://stevebot-7.deviantart.com/
Quod sumus hoc eritis

Aspirant writer-artist.
Grayheart
Game Master
Game Master
Custom Title: The Striding Stranger

Post by Grayheart »

Well, it was worth a try, wasn't it?

Personally, what I want from this RP is a believable (character) developement and an interesting story - I should better say story possibilities, since there are players involved and this makes a determined plot impossible. But I would like Sasha to explore the world and it's scarcely seen inhabitants, to let her learn the ropes of being a supernatural creature and no human like she'd always thought.

As for the question if we want to remain as a group or not: I think, it will be difficult to stay together all the time. We're no dnd-party who needs to stay at arm's length to survive. I would like to have the possibility to act 'alone' from time to time, if it's necessary.
In wildness is the preservation of the world
So seek the wolf in thyself!

(Metallica - Of Wolf and Man)
Wingman
Game Master
Game Master

Post by Wingman »

Well, I asked because there are going to be places where some of you can't go, either due to large muscular bouncers who will break your limbs, or barriers that literally stop you short at the door.
Quod sumus hoc eritis

Aspirant writer-artist.
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

I didn't strike up conversation mainly because Greyheart had asked and I was waiting on a confirm/deny to that rather than just post away and potentially muck something up.

Anywho, sign me up for all of the above. We shall action-packed firefights with philosophical robot preachers at the climax of a plot which was so intricate Machiavelli himself would have trouble figuring it out!

:lol:

Seriously though: Some chance for interesting plot/story like Grayheart mentioned would be cool, with bits of action here and there. I don't care too much either way on togetherness or being separated, but I think it'd make sense to be split up in various ways from time to time. It'd be a bit odd to always run together since, as mentioned, this isn't DnD and we're no pack of adventurers. Not much logical reason for us to stick together all the time.
Wingman
Game Master
Game Master

Post by Wingman »

Silent Hunter, you're busting my balls.

Some light reading.
Vampires in my RP. Not much, but a bit of information about how they work. See, immortality isn't all about sparkles and romancing teenaged girls. Sometimes immortality involves getting tied up and thrown in a river to drown, and then waking up and drowning all over again come nightfall, and again the next night, and again the one after that. I gave them the Highlander treatment, I hope you like it.

Cannibalism in my RP. Yes, you can eat people for magic. Which is part of why shapeshifters do it sometimes, and it's how my zombies operate(constantly rotting, and thus constantly needing quick infusions of magic to keep them from rotting). So, now not only might you get your kidneys stolen, but you might get chopped up and sold on the black (meat) market as well. Yay for miracles fueled by peoplemeat. Let me know if this is a bit too dark for you to be comfortable with if you want me to leave it out.
Quod sumus hoc eritis

Aspirant writer-artist.
Aki
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Aki »

Pretty interesting reads. Though the example for cannibalism is a bit lol. Kinda funny to imagine some dude OM NOM NOMing some corpses (including his friend's) before running off after the bad guys.

Also the vampires sound pretty neat. The death-by-decap is very highlander. "There can only be one!"
Grayheart
Game Master
Game Master

Post by Grayheart »

As I mentioned before - I'm quite comfortable with the thought of cannibalism tied to magic - so no need to skip it from my standpoint. Funny coincidence is that I just started a seminar at university concerning cannibalism and human sacrifices throughout the world and history.

Wingman
Game Master
Game Master

Post by Wingman »

I have a question for you folks, regarding shapeshifters. I'm in the process of expanding them, and I'm at a crossroads. I can either allow for additional static forms(in the same manner as how the forms are currently selected), or I can allow for the transformed state to be tailored as desired. The former retains the current setup, but the latter has far more utility and would put shapeshifters on par with vampires and (the yet-to-be-done) revised spellcasters in terms of dynamic customization.

So, what do you folks think. Should I allow for additional static forms(Example: Form 1[Str+1, Dex+1, Sta +2], Form 2 [Dex+2, Wits+2], Form 3[Str +3, Sta +1], and so on), or should I make the thing more dynamic by allowing the ability increases, and possibly the associated Talents, to be shifted around as desired while transforming?

I also did some revisions of my spellcasting stuff. It's worth noting that spellcasting isn't just reserved for wizards or such. Anyone can learn if they have the time and dedication, though I'm sure you can see why plenty of shapeshifters don't bother with it. Why waste the energy on a lame little fire arrow when you can use that energy to transform.
Quod sumus hoc eritis

Aspirant writer-artist.
Grayheart
Game Master
Game Master

Post by Grayheart »

Difficult decision - on the one hand my concept of a werewolf would tend more towards the dynamic concept of being able shifting around ability increases, since transforming is - at least in my view - a dynamic thing. Werewolves and the like shift their whole body gradually. They do not shift instantly to one new form.

On the other hand I could imagine this would result in a lot of loopholes that would allow someone playing a shapeshifter to have just the right ability numbers in every situation - thus resulting in a kind of overpowering of shapeshifters. But maybe I'm too pessimistic in this direction.

Your concept of Will and the possible uses of Willpower to increase abilities are already some kind of dynamic customization, though. A shapeshifter can use a willpoint to increase his/her senses (+1 wits, so to speak). Although 'normal' humans can do the same, it would be based on another means of increasing this ability. The shapeshifter uses the willpoint to shift his/her anatomy of the ear to hear better, for example - the human on the other hand would most likely 'just' increase his/her concentration to hear better.

Thus I would opt more for additional static forms, because in my view Shapeshifters have the potential to transform into every direction they want, but every single possible form would have to be learned. Otherwise I could imagine the body of a shapeshifter to be very instable and constantly stressed by a whole bunch of different shifting modes.

Maybe you could explain to me why the more dynamic option would put shapeshifters on par with vampires? - I have no idea why this would be the case right now.

Wingman
Game Master
Game Master

Post by Wingman »

Well, largely because the vampires can "refuel" at whenever they want, while just about everyone else regains Will at a rate of 1 point per day. Maybe it's all in my head.
Quod sumus hoc eritis

Aspirant writer-artist.
Grayheart
Game Master
Game Master

Post by Grayheart »

Ah, okay - so what you mean is, that changing the ability modificators while already being transformed - thus already spended one will point - wouldn't need additional will points to spend for a shapeshifter in, let's say, a current scene?

'Cause if you just give shapeshifters the option to modificate themselves like they want, but then they still have to give out will points for every single shift of abilities, I can't see how it would balance them against vampires and their ability to regain will more faster.

Wingman
Game Master
Game Master

Post by Wingman »

Yeah, it's probably not my best-thought-out idea.
Quod sumus hoc eritis

Aspirant writer-artist.
Wingman
Game Master
Game Master

Post by Wingman »

So, that's the first ever werewolf transformation that I've written. Hopefully I didn't do too badly, and hopefully that's the first time you've ever seen someone fend a delusional old werewolf off with a mop.
In case you were wondering, the doctor didn't actually transform, he just used some Will to boost his strength and a bit of his furry side peeked through. It happens sometimes when supernaturals are angry, and the good doctor only speaks using contractions when he's angry.

Thanks for taking one for the team, Silent Hunter. It's nothing serious, just a werewolf bite. 'tis only a flesh wound.
Quod sumus hoc eritis

Aspirant writer-artist.
Wingman
Game Master
Game Master

Post by Wingman »

Alright people, sorry for the wait, shouldn't be much longer.
Anyways, I've been toying with the idea of starting a webcomic for a few years now, and recently I've put some consideration into doing some art for this RP. So, the logical conclusion would be to combine the two, and do a webcomic about the RP.

What say ye? If everyone agrees my plan is to basically draw the RP as it progresses, after some talks to hammer out character appearances and other such things.

I really do need to do something artistic that I can use in my portfolio to wave at people when trying to claim that I'm not a complete oxygen thief, so it might as well be something where I can get other people to write half the dialog for me. :D
Quod sumus hoc eritis

Aspirant writer-artist.
Aki
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Aki »

That'd be pretty cool and fine with me. It'd be interesting to see things all drawn out. :D
Grayheart
Game Master
Game Master

Post by Grayheart »

I think that's a pretty neat idea - I would really like to see some visualizations of this RP. So go ahead with it - I'm definitely on board!

Goliathe Dark
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Inquisitor

Post by Goliathe Dark »

Greetings all, I'll be participating in this RP as soon as I find a good spot to start.

Personally, I thing making visuals on the RP is a great idea. Possibly starting out with some character pictures (i.e. Sasha, Jax, Samuel) or even some NPC ones as I would really like to get a visual on Dr. Lowell and Sabastian.

Also, I understand you said that 5 was the highest Attribute Point you can acheive and 2 is there by default but would you mind terribly putting a sort of template for the Attributes?
And, if you noticed, yes, I did move this from the character thread
What is the difference between an optimistic man and a blind one?

Reality is for those who lack imagination.

Those who beg for death are destined to live forever.

I see you. I know of your intentions. I'd ask you to leave but that wasn't in the cards.....so I'll ask you to die.
Aki
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Aki »

Welcome to the RP, Goliathe. :D

By template do you mean, like a "rough guide" as to what each level represents? Because Wing's system seems to draw a fair bit of traits from the Storyteller system, so I imagine it'd break down something like this:

1: You're sub par. Weak. If this were strength you'd be a scrawny nerd, if it were some social attribute you're awkward in conversation, if it's a mental trait, well, you're not the brightest.

2: Base. Average. You're no strongman, but you're not a wimp either.

3: Above average, well-trained. A soldier might have a 3 in Stamina, or a bouncer have a 3 in Strength, or a A student might have a 3 in Intelligence, etc.

4: You're really good. Pro athlete level stuff.

5: The peak. The best a mortal could hope to achieve. Olympic athletes have this level of prowess.
Goliathe Dark
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Goliathe Dark »

Yeah, I was thinking along the lines of that just to get a very basic idea of how good everyone is, essentially. Thanx for the welcoming btw.

I see you. I know of your intentions. I'd ask you to leave but that wasn't in the cards.....so I'll ask you to die.
Grayheart
Game Master
Game Master

Post by Grayheart »

Also a big Welcome from my side, Goliathe!

I'm looking forward to get to know your character in action - sounds like he's an interesting personality.

Goliathe Dark
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Goliathe Dark »

Thank you, Grayheart.

I thought he would be pretty interesting to sort of balance out the mix.

By the way, I'm not sure if this was intentional or not and I haven't really double-checked whether it is 100% consistant. Is "Sasha" always the first word in all of your posts in the game thread?

Grayheart
Game Master
Game Master

Post by Grayheart »

Aww, well - I think this is really the case in almost all of my posts. It's more of a habit than of an intentional thing.

Together with a friend of mine I'm 'play-writing' a story - everyone of us plays a certain amount of characters and thus the story is more vivid, 'cause it's more like an open roleplay than a traditional written story. Because everyone of us plays more than one character we always put the name of the currently played out character as the first word in our posts - to prevent confusion.

I think this habit will change during the course of the game - if it's annoying or so, just tell - I'll try my best to bring in more 'beginning variance' :wink:

Goliathe Dark
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Goliathe Dark »

Doesn't bother me.
It just shows what your (and your friend's) writing style is like. It would be very arrogant to tell anyone to "stop" writing the way they do.

Basically, stick to it if it works for you and your friend. :)

Grayheart
Game Master
Game Master

Post by Grayheart »

It's basically just a rough build of our writing style - work in progress, kind of. If one scene is finished, we do the final rewriting of the scene. It's fun - just like playing a forum-rp.

Goliathe Dark
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Goliathe Dark »

Sounds fun, sadly my friends aren't as into stories; let-alone cooperative ones.
Even if they were, something tells my there would be constant argument as I prefer to write about the parts of the story that are more subtle, while they enjoy writing about constant action, action, action.
I, personally admire how action plays a part in it. It just gets rather agrivating working with people who only admire this aspect of writing. To me that's extremely closed-minded; not to mention arrogant.

(No offense, to anyone who likes this style. It's just my overall opinion.)

...........anywaaaaaay :roll:

I should probly get back on topic. So, Wingman, what part of the RP are you planning on drawing first? (i.e.:setting, NPCs, active characters, etc...)

EDIT: Or anyone, really. What part of the RP do you think should be physically visualized first, since we've all pretty much agreed that visuals are a good idea.