The New World--OOC

Here you can role-play as your favorite character in a structured and planned environment that requires commitment from players and storytellers alike.

Moderators: Silvermoon, Silver Predator Wolf, Wingman, Thunderclaw, Grayheart

Wingman
Game Master
Game Master
Custom Title: Dastardly ne'er-do-well in search of a lickspittle

Re: The New World--OOC

Post by Wingman »

As for the attributes, Aki's got it right. There are people, and things, with more than 5 in an ability, such as an elephant would probably be around 7 Strength or so, but on the whole 5 is the highest a starting character can have, without counting modifiers. So, if you really wanted to, you could start with 5 in an attribute, and then the Talent for it for a total of 7, though such would have significant impact on the game at large, since you can very likely lift mid-sized cars to shoulder height with little effort, or outrun traffic and dodge bullets, or teach yourself calculus and a couple new languages from just a page or two of reference, and so forth.

As for the art, I'll likely be doing characters(probably starting with NPCs). I've started a portrait style painting of Catriona, and will likely do the same for Harry Bishop and the other big name NPCs so far. As for Doctor Lowell, I'll probably do a picture of him at the same time as I do one for Rafael, as they are brothers and I want to have them resemble one another.
http://stevebot-7.deviantart.com/
Quod sumus hoc eritis

Aspirant writer-artist.
Goliathe Dark
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Inquisitor

Post by Goliathe Dark »

Sounds promising.
Personally, I hate to leave all the artwork on your shoulders and would likely help you out (if I got better) but my scanner is currently just below the category of "piece of crap" so it would be quite impossible at the moment.
What is the difference between an optimistic man and a blind one?

Reality is for those who lack imagination.

Those who beg for death are destined to live forever.

I see you. I know of your intentions. I'd ask you to leave but that wasn't in the cards.....so I'll ask you to die.
Wingman
Game Master
Game Master

Post by Wingman »

I need the practice anyways, and it usually helps me develop the character.
Quod sumus hoc eritis

Aspirant writer-artist.
Goliathe Dark
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Goliathe Dark »

True, it's just that it annoys me that I can't help.

I see you. I know of your intentions. I'd ask you to leave but that wasn't in the cards.....so I'll ask you to die.
Wingman
Game Master
Game Master

Post by Wingman »

Dear Blackwolfhell,

Your last post made no sense whatsoever.

Sincerely,
Wingman.
Quod sumus hoc eritis

Aspirant writer-artist.
Goliathe Dark
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Goliathe Dark »

Uh-oh, I hope I didn't kill the game thread. No one's been active in it since I posted

Wingman
Game Master
Game Master

Post by Wingman »

No, I've just been getting distracted. I'm working on a post as I type this.

We seem to have gotten into a rhythm of everyone posting once, then I post, then everyone else posts, then I post again. Blame it on my turn-based RPG roots. If you folks want to interact with each other more often, feel free to, or if there's anything else you want to do. Don't feel required to wait for me, I can catch up.
Quod sumus hoc eritis

Aspirant writer-artist.
Grayheart
Game Master
Game Master
Custom Title: The Striding Stranger

Post by Grayheart »

I think the reason why we have this rhythm at the present time is that our characters still don't know each other. Additionally everyone of us speaks with one or two of the characters that are run by you - thus we are kind of dependant on your posts at the moment to keep interaction going.

Now, with us all soon sitting in a more comfortable surrounding, this will surely change and then things will become more dynamic between our characters. That's at least what I would expect to happen now.
In wildness is the preservation of the world
So seek the wolf in thyself!

(Metallica - Of Wolf and Man)
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

Wingman wrote:No, I've just been getting distracted. I'm working on a post as I type this.

We seem to have gotten into a rhythm of everyone posting once, then I post, then everyone else posts, then I post again. Blame it on my turn-based RPG roots. If you folks want to interact with each other more often, feel free to, or if there's anything else you want to do. Don't feel required to wait for me, I can catch up.
Oh, heh, I didn't know that. I thought it was almost a kind of PnP style - players do an action, DM reacts, rinse repeat.
Grayheart wrote:I think the reason why we have this rhythm at the present time is that our characters still don't know each other. Additionally everyone of us speaks with one or two of the characters that are run by you - thus we are kind of dependant on your posts at the moment to keep interaction going.

Now, with us all soon sitting in a more comfortable surrounding, this will surely change and then things will become more dynamic between our characters. That's at least what I would expect to happen now.
Partially that too.
Wingman
Game Master
Game Master

Post by Wingman »

Since I fully intend to lead you folk like sheep into more than one lion's den, I feel I should run this by you.

For things like dicerolling(combat, contests of magical might, etc) would you folk prefer to do the rolls, or would you prefer that I deal with all that in the background. As an example of what I mean, back at the start of the game, Harry Bishop tried to put the whammy on Sasha to hypnotize her (and it would have worked if not for you meddling kids, and your dog too! one very lucky roll there). In that case I rolled for her, but was planning to let Greyheart redo the roll if it failed since getting mind-controlled within the first five minutes would have been bad form.
So, would you prefer that I call for rolls, or handle them in the background? Or would you prefer a mix, with 'unimportant' rolls being handled by me, and important stuff(like avoiding getting shot) being handled by you?
Quod sumus hoc eritis

Aspirant writer-artist.
Goliathe Dark
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Goliathe Dark »

I suppose the ladder of the three choices would be best.

Grayheart
Game Master
Game Master

Post by Grayheart »

and it would have worked if not for you meddling kids, and your dog too!
:lol: Took me a while to get the hint due to language issues - man, how I liked this series! Errm, well - back to topic:

I agree with Goliathe Dark and would opt for the third solution.

Since this is an online RPG it would take us even more time to develope a story/game, if we all would do every single diceroll for ourselves thus resulting in the situation that we all had to communicate this to you in one or the other way. Things like rolls on investigation should be certainly handled by you, Wingman.

The really important rolls - like avoiding being killed by something or avoiding being mindcontrolled - yes that should be situations where we can call hell upon ourselves alone. Although I wouldn't mind you doing all the dicerolling. In the end you are our gm - if you think something is appropiate or inappropiate at a given time, you can ultimately change it - like rerolling or using a wanted outcome for a certain situation. As long as this serves an interesting plot it's absolutely okay.

Grayheart
Game Master
Game Master

Post by Grayheart »

This goes out to my fellow players:

"Scooby Doo, where are you?!"

Are you folks still there - namely blackwolfhell and Silent Hunter? I'm sorry to be this unnerving, but are you still interested in this?

Wingman
Game Master
Game Master

Post by Wingman »

Well, to the best of my knowledge Blackwolfhell has never looked at the OOC thread, or if he has then he hasn't let on to that fact.

Silent Hunter is currently in exam weeks or whatnot, and said that he may be bowing out of the RP.

Likewise, I haven't heard back from Thunderclaw, Blue Eyes in the Dark, or Silverclaw, so I guess they've lost interest, or are busy with other things.

Anyways, I'll write me up another post so we can continue on.
Quod sumus hoc eritis

Aspirant writer-artist.
Grayheart
Game Master
Game Master

Post by Grayheart »

Thank you for this explanation, Wingman.

Yeah, blackwolfhell doesn't seem to follow this very thread. I think you meant Silvermoon, not Silverclaw, didn't you? From what I know she hasn't been online for more than a month now. Exam weeks can be busy, yes - maybe we should make a short note about such things so that all players know for whom we have to wait for a post. Something like that.

Wingman
Game Master
Game Master

Post by Wingman »

Ahh, yes, Silvermoon. My bad.
Quod sumus hoc eritis

Aspirant writer-artist.
Wingman
Game Master
Game Master

Post by Wingman »

In all likelihood, I'll be without internet access for the next week or so.

You all have my sincerest apologies for being so slow with the game, I'll try to improve on that as soon as I get back.
Quod sumus hoc eritis

Aspirant writer-artist.
Wingman
Game Master
Game Master

Post by Wingman »

To be perfectly honest with you folks I'm not sure whether or not I'll be continuing this RP now, or in the immediate future.

What with my sister dying, I feel the need to actually make some progress with my life, and part of that is focusing on my career. Sadly, this RP isn't included in that, though I wish it were as it's been very enjoyable. I'll be looking into getting a second job to actually start getting some money saved up, and actually begin assembling an artistic portfolio. I feel that the only way I'll get that done in a reasonable amount of time is by narrowing my focus, rather than splitting my time between the RP, my writing, and my art, as I've been doing for the last while.

So, I am officially putting this game on hiatus. If someone else wishes to take over, I'd be happy to share my notes with them, though I have been admittedly been winging it so far and making it up as I go, so there aren't really all that many notes.
I may come back to this in the future, though at this particular moment I cannot say when.

You all have my thanks, as I've probably made more progress with my writing during the course of the game than in the months preceding it. It was a learning experience, as it helped me develop ideas that I otherwise wouldn't have thought of.

Goodbye and goodnight. You don't have to go home, but I won't be here.
Quod sumus hoc eritis

Aspirant writer-artist.
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

Oh, um, wow. Jeez, that's rough. My condolences about your sister. :(

This was fun while it lasted. Sad to see it go, but RL always comes first.
Goliathe Dark
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Goliathe Dark »

That's fine with me.
Good luck on your second (and first) job.

Grayheart
Game Master
Game Master

Post by Grayheart »

:( I am really sorry to hear about your sister's death - this is the worst thing in the world I can think of - you have my deepest condolences.

I hope you will get your life sorted like you want to. Nothing to worry about the RP from my side - like Aki said: RL comes first.

Take care,
Grayheart