Kirk's Kitchen

Cooking recipes, and various other food related stuffs. Hey, a wolf's gotta eat.
Kirk Hammett
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Guitar Dude from Metallica

Kirk's Kitchen

Post by Kirk Hammett »

Alright the title was lame. 8)

:chef: :pizza: :bone: :eatfish: :meat: (need some veggie wolves...hahaha!!!)

Anyhow, I have a few (simple) recipes to share with you. Note that they are purely vegetarian, but not vegan (Although the rice can be if no eggs used). They can however, have meat added to them, and in fact many were actually intended for meat.

Since I can't really be bothered getting out of my seat, because I have been at work all day, I will write the ones I can remember and share the rest later. I only have a few. Some are my mother's recipes.

These are -really- basic. Modifying is easy.

If confused, because I probably suck at writing recipes, just ask.

I am NOT an experienced cook, really. I cook my own simple dinners and if you guys cook yours a different way, feel free, for example my fried rice isn't really ... well cooked the usual way.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fried Rice

You will need:

- Long grain rice (Two cups feeds about 6 people, I think, and one cup is sufficient for about three meals).
- Three cups of water for two cups of rice, or one and a half cups for one cup. RATIO: One cup rice to one and a half water. (For microwave not pot!!!).
- Frozen vegetables, or cut up fresh ones, (cooked), you can add mushrooms, capsicum even, or whatever of your choice.
- Optional: meat. I have zero clue how to cook it but it's added to the rice later if you eat meat. Also prawns.
- Olive oil (Cover the pan or wok)
- Onion (About half, or one small)
- Garlic (One teaspoon is plenty!)
- Corn kernals and peas (Just because they are great!) :D
- Egg is optional also. You need to fry it, or scramble it, and then add it once you've almost finished stir frying your rice and veggies.

Sauce: (This is just what I add. You can change it).

-Tomato sauce
- Sweet n sour sauce (If you're a vegetarian like me, get one that has no fish oil added)
- White pepper
- Black pepper
- Soy sauce
- Chili sauce

My method:

1) Put the rice in the microwave or pot. Read the instructions for your microwave as they are all different. I put two cups of rice to three cups of water. Screwing with the ratio is sometimes a disaster. I always put a little extra water. If using a microwave, put a plate at the bottom, some containers leak like mad! This saves cleaning the microwave later.

For times: As I said above, read microwave instructions. Mine is approx 18-20 min for two cups on high.

2) Once the rice is done, microwave the frozen veggies unless you like to stir fry them firm and frozen. I like to cook mine first. I'm always in a hurry to eat!

3) While the veggies are cooking!! Dice the onion (Approx half, or one small onion). Put the pan (or wok, I use a huge pan I haven't got a wok). Put olive oil in it and then heat a little. Put the onion (Not too hot or the stuff will spit and hiss and burn) in with the garlic and make sure the onion is slightly transparent. I like to add corn kernals at this stage and mix them around on really low heat. Then take it all off the heat until your veggies are done!

4) Add your vegetables and rice. Add the cooked, then add the other fresh veggies...and er fungi... if you have any (Like mushrooms and more tinned corn kernals, or any tinned vegetables etc). Stir fry it, and while mixing, add soy sauce, it makes it easier, for me anyway. (Because rice clumps together!)

5) If you want to add egg, it has to be cooked before hand. Add it to the stir fry.

6) You can also stir fry meat with it. My mother adds meat to hers after, not while stir frying, but it's up to you. Tofu can also be added but I've never done this.

7) Now for the sauce part. This is fun, you just add what the hell you want. Soy sauce should have been added in parts beforehand, but add more if you want. I put generous amounts of each in (Tomato and sweet n sour sauce), but I go easy on the chili because only my dad and I really like too much. Put the peppers in.

8) Now make sure it's nice and hot and cooked through and test it every now and then. If it tastes nice, well, it's ready to serve!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Vegetarian OR meat Burger (Really simple)

This one is tasty but is not suitable for vegans unless no cheese is used and you read the label for the veggie patty very thoroughly.

You'll need: (Plus whatever else you want)

- A burger bun
- Onion, diced (Not too much). Or sliced.
- Vegetarian cheese (non animal enzyme used, or no rennet used, read the back. Not needed if you're not a vegetarian obviously).
- Tomato sauce
- American mustard (Well thats what I use)
- Veggies! I use lettuce and cucumber. You could add tomatoes, grated carrots, even olives, pickles etc.
- Mayonnaise is optional; I don't use it but you can.
- You can also add chili sauce, pepper, salt etc
- Some sort of vegetarian patty, OR a meat patty, or steak or something, cooked through.
- Oven fries, just because they taste great! (Get the canola oil. Vegetarian and good for your heart).

Method

1) Cut the bun. Add tomato sauce and mustard to each side, as well as diced onion pieces if you like onion. You can also do it with slices. Mix it around on the bun, yes, with your fingers :D. You can add pepper, salt, chili sauce, mayo, etc here.

2) Add veggies

3) Cook your meat or veggie patty. Now, put cheese on it and melt it sufficiently.

4) Now, as is plain obvious, stick everything in the bun. Put the bun in the oven or microwave or something just to warm the entire thing up. It tastes like heaven like that!

5) take your chips out of the oven and add salt n vinegar, and there's your meal!

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Homemade Pizza (Also really simple. Kid's stuff)

This is what I just love to eat and make! It's a matter of buying bases and throwing stuff on them. I'll just make this one quick because like the burger, anyone can make it without much explanation.

This is also healthy and can be 100% vegetarian too, or non vegetarian.

You will need:

- Toppings of your choice. Can include:
- Capsicum, diced
- Onion, diced
- Tomato, thinly sliced
- Olives
- Ham, salami, anchovies etc
- Mushrooms
- Oregano
- Garlic
- Other herbs
- Cheese (Again, I use non rennet stuff). Mozarella is nice.
- Pineapple
- Tomato paste (you can buy pizza stuff. I use plain leggo's tomato paste though)
- Etc!!

- Pizza bases or you can use french loaves or some sort of other bun, (really tasty trust me!), homemade pizza base, puff pastry, etc.

Method:

- Shove the tomato paste, herbs, garlic etc onto the base. Put the diced onion into it.
- Add all the other toppings
- Add cheese.
- Put in the oven.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cannelloni (A pasta meal).

This is another relatively basic recipe things can be added to. But it tastes great alone! This is mostly ripped off the back of the cannelloni box. Hehe.

You will need:

- Ricotta cheese (225g)
- Spinach (250g) finely cut
- Canneloni shells
- Quarter of a cup of grated vegetarian cheese (pasta cheese)
- More cheese for the top!
- 2 egg yolks
- About a tablespoon of garlic.
- Napoleotana, or calabrese sauce. Or, make your own (I'll include a recipe below. For sauce you need crushed tomatoes, a very small amount of tomato paste to thicken it, and need to follow the onion and garlic cooking instructions on the fried rice bit. Not the corn kernals, unless you REALLY want to haha. You might want to add basil and salt and pepper)
- A baking dish.

Method:

Sauce:

1) Dice the onion and add it and the garlic to olive oil as in fried rice recipe. Cook it a little bit.

2) Add a can of crushed tomatoes plus a little water, and some tomato paste (Maybe three or four tablespoons).

3) Cook until thickened.

4) Add whatever you like to it. I sometimes add capsicum. It can be pretty tasteless unless you add salts or something, I never really make my own sauce. Some people add basil, salt, pepper. I must try it.

The dish:

WARNING! If you're a sulk, or a wuss, this is messy.

1) IMPORTANT! Count how many cannelloni tubes will fit into your pan. You might want to do some strategic laying of them into the pan so you can fit heaps of them in. I sometimes layer them on top too. Now, take these out of the box. When your hands are covered in cheese, you can't really keep going into the box for more.

2) Spread some sauce onto the bottom. Generously but leave plenty for covering the top and in between.

3) Now the messy part. Pour the ricotta, spinach, egg yolks, salt if you want salt, (I personally don't use it), garlic and grated cheese. Mix it really well.

4) Okay this is the messy bit, you need to fill your tubes with this mixture. No air pockets! You can use some devices to fill them but I use my fingers. I also like to mix a bit of my sauce into the mixture, but that's just how I like it. If you're putting more than one layer, put sauce and grated cheese between the layers of tubes. (Which are laid out on their sides).

5) Now pour the rest of the sauce onto the top and let it squish around the tubes and leak around. Put heaps of grated cheese and pepper and whatever else on top.

6) Oven at 200 degrees celcius (Er...sorry America, zero clue to Fahrenheit) for 30-35 min. Usually if cooked the cheese is brownish, (crisp, not totally brown, that means its burnt haha), and you can use a skewer to test it.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Vegetarian Spagetti

Again, you should add what you like to it. But I eat it like this.

You will need:

- Onion, diced (About half an onion or a handful)
- Garlic, one teaspoon
- Olive oil
- Spinach (About 7 large leaves of it, finely cut)
- I think people sometimes add lentils. Capsicum is nice too.
- You can add salt and pepper
- About 4 tablespoons of tomato paste
- Two large cans of crushed tomato
- Use one can to add a can's worth of water. You can add more if it gets too thick. Thicker is nicer, though, so maybe not a whole can.
- Spagetti noodles of some sort
- And cheese to top it off!

Method:

1) As above, you need to cook the onion and garlic in the slightly heated oil until the onion is slightly transparent. This is done in a large pot over a stove.

2) Cook the spinach slightly. Just until sort of warmed through. Gets those flavours out.

3) Add all your tomato paste, tomatoes and water. And whatever else you're adding.

4) Stir it, and keep it heating until it's slightly boiling or thick to your liking. About an hour ought to do it. If too high it will cook too fast.

5) Boil your noodles until soft, put in a bowl, add the sauce and the cheese and it is ready to eat! I think olives could taste great added once all is cooked, and capsicum.

-------

Fruit Smoothie

A lot of people I know eat smoothies fairly often, and my dad and I both love them. My mum hates milk so if you don't like milk, don't try this recipe!

Need:

- 1 Cup yogurt (if vegetarian eat gelatine free) OR Icecream
- 1 Cup milk (I prefer the taste of skim milk but any will do to your taste)
- A lot of honey. (I use about 1/3 a cup...wel I just pour it in!)
- A banana
- Other fruit - I use about the same mass as a banana, of other fruits; strawberries, black currants, raspberries, etc. Your choice.
- A few teaspoons of vanilla essence. Yes, I love vanilla essence!!

You can substitute your own fruits. Those work. If you want a plain banana smoothie, substitute all of the fruit for two bananas. If you want strawberries, use about a cup.

Method:

- Cut it all up and put it in the blender! Best to drink cold. Put the wet ingredients in first. I'd check with your blender's instructions of course.
Last edited by Kirk Hammett on Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
<b> Pack Drunk</b>
Image Image :beerwolf: :drunx:
"Animals were not made for humans, not anymore than black people were made for whites or women for men" -Alice Walker-
theMoonlite
Legendary
Legendary

Post by theMoonlite »

Cool, I'll try some, seeing as how I'm vegetarian. :thumbsup:
Kirk Hammett
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kirk Hammett »

theMoonlite wrote:Cool, I'll try some, seeing as how I'm vegetarian. :thumbsup:
Really? :o Another one on the wolf boards! Cool!

What sort of vegetarian are you? (If it isn't too personal to ask!). I might have more recipes, if you have any, please post them in this thread, I'd be delighted to try them!
<b> Pack Drunk</b>
"Animals were not made for humans, not anymore than black people were made for whites or women for men" -Alice Walker-
theMoonlite
Legendary
Legendary

Post by theMoonlite »

Kirk Hammett wrote:
theMoonlite wrote:Cool, I'll try some, seeing as how I'm vegetarian. :thumbsup:
Really? :o Another one on the wolf boards! Cool!

What sort of vegetarian are you? (If it isn't too personal to ask!). I might have more recipes, if you have any, please post them in this thread, I'd be delighted to try them!
Well, right now my mom is making me eat fish/seafood, I looked it up and it's called pesco-vegetarianism. Though I'm not sure how it's really vegetarian...It's what I have to settle for, at the moment. :roll:
DarkShadow
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The coffee addicted were

Post by DarkShadow »

lck mmmmmmm I'm not veg, but those sound good
I can proudly say that I am not a stamp of the person beside me

Icon made by Z :D
Kalira
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kalira »

MMmmm very tasty sounding. I'm not veg either, but I would give those a whirl.
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets
Mood: Indifferent

Post by MoonKit »

I thought Kirks Kitchen was a very clever name! :)
You are the only light there is for yourself my friend
Kirk Hammett
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kirk Hammett »

Haha thanks Moonkit!

And thanks everyone, let me know what you thought.

And I might have some more recipes to share, if I can remember them. Even for a non vegetarian they are extremely healthy and so damned quick to make! And they feed a lot of people. But, you can add meat to them if you like.
Well, right now my mom is making me eat fish/seafood, I looked it up and it's called pesco-vegetarianism. Though I'm not sure how it's really vegetarian...It's what I have to settle for, at the moment.
I started off that way too. :P It took me a long time to become a proper vegetarian. I think if you must be that way, perhaps go and catch your own fish, I did this, and it's far more ethical than eating farmed animals. Just so long as you're as humane as possible when killing them I guess but I know how difficult it is to kill something that was alive...:( And hooks are no walk in the park either. But it's a better alternative I guess, the most humane, the least prolongued pain, if you are being made to eat fish.

It's hard to get all the stuff you need, the nutrients, thats why it took me a while to get off every type of meat I think, trying to find alternatives. :P
<b> Pack Drunk</b>
*nagowteena*
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: TV!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mood: RAR!

Post by *nagowteena* »

wow, you have some verry tasty sounding dishes here, I'm going to try one a little later. :D not a veg, or the best of cooks around, but I can probly make it, I hope :lol: . have you ever heard of having apples and penut butter? talk about a yummy snack! :P
Image Image
Yeah, that hits the spot..DeviantArt ~ Youtube Avatar by Z
Kirk Hammett
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kirk Hammett »

*nagowteena* wrote:wow, you have some verry tasty sounding dishes here, I'm going to try one a little later. :D not a veg, or the best of cooks around, but I can probly make it, I hope :lol: . have you ever heard of having apples and penut butter? talk about a yummy snack! :P
Hmm wonder if there's a dooly wolf here...

Cause apples and peanut butter sounds heavenly!!! :P :D :lol: :o
<b> Pack Drunk</b>
*nagowteena*
Legendary
Legendary

Post by *nagowteena* »

Dooly??? :o :evil: :) :D :lol: :P
Image Image
Kirk Hammett
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kirk Hammett »

*nagowteena* wrote:Dooly??? :o :evil: :) :D :lol: :P

Hahaa I meant drooly, it took me ages to figure out what my typo was :? :D :lol:

Drooling wolf. Haha!
<b> Pack Drunk</b>
*nagowteena*
Legendary
Legendary

Post by *nagowteena* »

Kirk Hammett wrote:
*nagowteena* wrote:Dooly??? :o :evil: :) :D :lol: :P

Hahaa I meant drooly, it took me ages to figure out what my typo was :? :D :lol:

Drooling wolf. Haha!
hehe, I thought you ment that, I just wasn't sure. :lol:
Image Image
Kirk Hammett
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kirk Hammett »

Added my smoothie recipe. :D

God Im starving now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
<b> Pack Drunk</b>