Deadly Milk?

Cooking recipes, and various other food related stuffs. Hey, a wolf's gotta eat.
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Deadly Milk?

Post by RedEye »

This is by way of being a warning, so listen up.
I credit my now gone-onward housemate with this, since she was a Nurse in the Army for some years.

Soldiers used to get whole milk as a part of their diet. When they were killed in combat, it was not unusual for the doctor to take a look at their wounds and the related blood vessles to see what other damage had occured.
What they found was plaque in the blood vessels more expected in a sixty year old than in a kid of twenty.
The reason?

Homogenized milk. Milk that had the fat globules so compacted and small that they went through the intestines and into the circulation system intact.
Homogenization is literally pounding liquid milk with high pressure vibrations until the milk fat is broken up and becomes homogeneous with with the rest of the liquid milk: it can't separate and rise to the top as cream.
And these globules were coating the arteries of the soldiers that drank the stuff, making plaque that would eventually kill them.
Nowadays the military uses 2% milk; less fat, and not so heavily homogenized; the fat stays in the gut where it belongs.

If you want to drink standard milk (4% milkfat homogenized), please have a cholesterol test done. In some places it's free-check around.

Werewolves may be tough-but plaque is a lot tougher.
(Note: Butter isn't all that bad, if you don't try to live on the stuff: it will digest, not just pass through into your bloodstream.)
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
Avareis
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Storyteller and Artist
Mood: Angry

Post by Avareis »

That's disgusting and I like that story. I appreciate the health new update. Personally, I don't drink milk. I don't need it in my diet and nor does Jack Lalanne. The godfather of fitness BABY! The man's 93, in better shape than most teens and he doesn't drink milk....Hm, I'd like to live to his age and do squats like he can.
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Sometimes, ya just gotta say ... BLEEEE!!
Additional Details: Digg: Gemfinder
Dragon Cave: http://dragcave.net/user/Xocowolf
Twitter: @Xocowolf
Mood: Busy

Post by vrikasatma »

I drink 1% organic homogenized. Once in a very great while — like once every six to eight months — I treat myself to a glass of whole milk but Horizon Milk tastes better than anything, organic or otherwise.

We have a wealth of dairy farms that sell directly to the consumer around here. And I plan on getting a small milk cow when I get some land of my own.
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

I prefer soy milk anyway. It came from beans instead of out of a cow orafice.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Avareis
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Storyteller and Artist
Mood: Angry

Post by Avareis »

Scott Gardener wrote:I prefer soy milk anyway. It came from beans instead of out of a cow orafice.
Mmmmmmm...beans. You got to love 'em. But the thing is, I don't see it at milk. I drink it too, but I have it with chocolate and whenever I do have it the soy milk seems more like a shake. That could be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on whether texture is an issue with milk to you.
:wink:
Ink
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: A Fledgling Shovelbum - Pack Archaeologist & Cultural Anthropologist!

Post by Ink »

I like raw milk, period. Either from a cow or bulk tank (cows, then).

Interesting article.