The Day(s) AFTER Thanksgiving: Recycled Turkey

Cooking recipes, and various other food related stuffs. Hey, a wolf's gotta eat.
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

The Day(s) AFTER Thanksgiving: Recycled Turkey

Post by RedEye »

Usually I do an easy and cheap meal on the day after. It's just Turkey off the bone, Stuffing, gravy; and some of the leftover veggies.

I reheat the Veggies, and make a Hash out of the Turkey, Dressing, and Gravy; by cubing the Turkey into half-inch or smaller cubes, heating it in the Gravy, and then mixing in just enough stuffing to solidify it into a hash.

The "day after" Turkey tastes better than the Thanksgiving day Turkey.
Just remember: Chill it down as soon as the meal is done and nobody wants any more Turkey. People get food poisoning every year by leaving the cooked bird out too long. Bacteria like Turkey, too!
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
Blue-eyes in the dark
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The doomed Chocolate lover.
Mood: Happy

Re: The Day(s) AFTER Thanksgiving: Recycled Turkey

Post by Blue-eyes in the dark »

RedEye wrote:Usually I do an easy and cheap meal on the day after. It's just Turkey off the bone, Stuffing, gravy; and some of the leftover veggies.

I reheat the Veggies, and make a Hash out of the Turkey, Dressing, and Gravy; by cubing the Turkey into half-inch or smaller cubes, heating it in the Gravy, and then mixing in just enough stuffing to solidify it into a hash.

The "day after" Turkey tastes better than the Thanksgiving day Turkey.
Just remember: Chill it down as soon as the meal is done and nobody wants any more Turkey. People get food poisoning every year by leaving the cooked bird out too long. Bacteria like Turkey, too!
MMMMM bacteria lck :lol: my family and i do something like that too but it's more like all the leftovers in the fridge mixed together into an unidentifiable lump of stuff we call it eating like a Spartian night. :lol:
Last edited by Blue-eyes in the dark on Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reading an distributing copies of "The Werewolf's Guide to Life: a Manuel for the newly bitten" Help, where it's needed.
RedEye

Post by RedEye »

Another tip for recycling Turkey: Take all the scraps, the bones, the gravy, veggies, etc; and boil them up into Turkey soup.
Chop up the meat into little bits and add when everything else is almost ready. It just needs to heat, not cook. Strain out the bones and the ugly un-identifyable things. Then eat.
Note: you'll need to add about a quart of plain water to thing things down to soup consistency, and also add some pearl barley. When the barley is cooked, the soup's ready for the meat and five more minutes cooking.

If you really want to be neat, add a can of chicken broth along with the water, unless you can score some turkey broth-add that in place of the chicken broth.
Howlitzer
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: yradnegeL

Post by Howlitzer »

turkey soup....NO!

I will never eat it ever again after this incident:

the day after thanksgiving, we wound up having chinese food. I didn't trust the chinese food in the first place, and sure enough i got sick in the wee hours of the morning, and wasn't feeling very good for most of the next day due to the degree with which I involuntarily flushed out my entire digestive tract....

sooo...for dinner that night, they made leftover turkey noodle soup. (as opposed to chicken noodle)...

so, I'm eating the soup, it's not half bad. I take another bite, start chewing on a piece of turkey, and notice a little piece of something hard before i swallow it.

Then I take another spoonful, and in the spoon i see two rather large turkey vertebrae, with a third vertebrae dangling off the spoon by a thin string of unidentified tissue.

:sickpup:
RedEye

Post by RedEye »

Hey, don't blame the bird for someone's sloppy preparation!

As a rule, I strain the turkey broth through a strainer before turning it into soup. What does this have to do with vertebrae in your soup? The bird's back and neck are used for the broth, not the meat part of the soup.
On a positive note, though, if you were able to swallow that vertebra, it digested in your gut and provided you with a rather large dose of calcium, magnesium, and phosphorus.

Yeah, I know it was gross; but in some cultures, the guest of honor gets the cooked feet in his/her soup. You got off easily.

Take a look at my Meatball recipe for post-Turkey Day ideas.