Jingles' Bi-bimp bap Recipe!

Cooking recipes, and various other food related stuffs. Hey, a wolf's gotta eat.
Malignant-Librarian
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Howlin' at the Full Moon!

Jingles' Bi-bimp bap Recipe!

Post by Malignant-Librarian »

Hey guys! I may be white as wonderbread, but dammit I've been raised Korean! For all of our werewolfy chefs out there, I share this! So, without further adieu, let's make some yummy bi-bim bap, Jingles-style! Warning; if you haven't ever cooked before, this isn't the super-easiest recipe to try. But if you're an adventurous cook, nothing is yummier!

Ingredients

* 6 ounce chicken breasts
* 2 eggs
* 4 ounces carrots, julienned
* 4 ounces cucumbers, also julienned
* 4 teaspoons garlic (mince this)
* 4 teaspoons chopped white scallions (optional)
* 1 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
* 4 teaspoons chili bean paste
* 2 teaspoons sugar
* 1 teaspoon water
* 4 ounces spinach, boiled and shredded
* sesame oil to taste
* salt, pepper to taste
* 2 cups cooked sushi-style rice
* 1/3 cup soy sauce
* 1/3 cup sugar (trust me on this one :))

Directions

1.) Make a marinade! Mix 1 cup of the soy sauce, 1 cup of sugar, 1/4 cup of garlic (minced!), 1/4 cup of your chopped scallions, and 3 tablespoons of toasted sesame seeds. Add pepper if you're a fan!

2.) Slice the chicken into tiny pieces -- about the size of a match-stick. Drop the chicken into the marinade and let soak. My mom taught me to refridgerate the chicken while it marinates, but for the life of me I don't get why. :) Let it soak for 2 hours at LEAST -- the longer the better.

3.) Sprinkle your seperate egg yolks with salt and beat them up real good! THOSE BAD EGG YOLKS! (Beat until they're silky smooth.)

4.) Oil a non-stick pan and put over medium flame. Cook your yolks by spreading them over the pan evenly in a thin layer, and letting them cook like an ultra-thin pancake. Put them on a sheet to cool when they're done!

5.) Do the same thing with the egg whites. They might be a little less obedient than the yolks, and could clump a bit. Don't worry about it, texture ftw!

6.) Julienne the white (egg white) and yellow (yolky) thin pancakes! Julienning is just a fancy word for cutting them into long, thin strips -- like noodles, sort of, but usually it's potatoes or carrots that get Jullienned (like french fries).

7.) Salt the carrots and cucumber! Let sit for a few minutes so they can soak up the yummy salt, then rinse them off and dry them. Saute in sesame oil -- here's a quick lesson on how to saute. Now, stir-fry your spinach in that same sesame oil to slurp up that carroty-cucumber taste.

8.) Cook your chicken in the pan; make sure it's completely cooked, otherwise ... eewww! Salmonella, anyone? Also, forgot to mention this at the beginning because I'm a spazz, but you should be cooking the sushi-style rice throughout this whole ordeal. This way you can keep half an eye on the rice while you prepare the rest of the bi-bim bap!

9.) Now, the FUN part! Creatively arrange your chicken, eggs, and veggies around and on top of the rice you cooked. Be aesthetically awesome! Use your artistic abilities to make the bi-bim bap as tempting-looking as possible!

10.) (OPTIONAL!) Make Kochu-jiang style sauce. All you have to do to make this yummy sauce is heat 1/4 cup of chile-bean paste, 2 tablespoons of sugar, and 1 tablespoon of water. Boil and stir so it doesn't burn or stick. Wait until the sugar dissolves (you'll know by the grainy texture becoming smoother).

11.) Serve with the bi-bim bap! It can be hot or cold.

TAH-DAH! You have made bi-bim bap, an awesomely yummy Korean dish that is amazingly delish and filling. If you liked this recipe or want to hear more from me, lemme know! This particular recipe serves two people.

--Jingles
Wingman
Game Master
Game Master
Custom Title: Dastardly ne'er-do-well in search of a lickspittle

Re: Jingles' Bi-bimp bap Recipe!

Post by Wingman »

Your strange and eldritch food frightens and intrigues me.
http://stevebot-7.deviantart.com/
Quod sumus hoc eritis

Aspirant writer-artist.
Malignant-Librarian
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Howlin' at the Full Moon!

Post by Malignant-Librarian »

Yeesss, be intrigued. Intrigue is the first step down the road to...

DELICIOUSNESS.
Vagrant
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Prolific Procrastinator

Post by Vagrant »

You tempt one, and perhaps you tempt us all, Jingles.

I may have a go at this, and I may just pester the roomie to help out, as my cooking skills are so bad that if I were to try cooking again, I'd likely end up somehow opening a doorway to a dimension of snooty food connoisseurs, who would follow me around and haunt me until the end of my days as punishment for my crimes against cooking.

Still, it's probably worth the risk!