Mercury Found in HFCS

Cooking recipes, and various other food related stuffs. Hey, a wolf's gotta eat.
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Sometimes, ya just gotta say ... BLEEEE!!
Additional Details: Digg: Gemfinder
Dragon Cave: http://dragcave.net/user/Xocowolf
Twitter: @Xocowolf
Mood: Busy

Mercury Found in HFCS

Post by vrikasatma »

http://verdavivo.wordpress.com/2009/01/ ... d-mercury/

Go into your kitchen and TOSS the following:
  • Smucker's Jam
    Pop-Tarts
    Most BBQ sauces
    Lucky Charms
    Yoplait
    Activia
    Scooby-Doo's Rogurt
High fructose corn syrup has been found to contain mercury, which is toxic in any amount or form. This is due to mercury being used in the process that makes this s***.

HFCS was bad enough to begin with, in that it's partly responsible for the obesity epidemic in this country. Contrary to that idiotic commercial that says it's fine in moderation, but since it's in just about everything pre-packaged and sweetened, it's impossible to have in moderation. Not only does this crap turn you into a butterball, it fries your brain, gives you cancer, and ensures that your children will hatch out with congenital defects.

:supermad: I am MORE than livid about this! Next stop: Whitehouse.gov and demand the Obama Administration call for heads to roll. And yes, heads do need to roll over this.
ImageImageImageImage
Wingman
Game Master
Game Master
Custom Title: Dastardly ne'er-do-well in search of a lickspittle

Re: Mercury Found in HFCS

Post by Wingman »

Yup, we're doomed.

Oh, and a second verification from The Washington Post. Though it does link to the same report as the first.
http://stevebot-7.deviantart.com/
Quod sumus hoc eritis

Aspirant writer-artist.
lycanthropeful
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Werewolf Wannabe
Mood: Ruthless

Post by lycanthropeful »

Dangit, I just bought Lucky Charms, too...

Oh well. I'd prefer to be healthy than miss out on some sugary fake marshmallows. Thanks for the information!
SaxGirl1010 @ deviantART
Art commissions are currently OPEN! Click HERE!
Vengeance, my werewolf novel: ON SALE NOW!
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary

Post by vrikasatma »

You can take 'em back to the store and get your money back.

The Chicago Tribune just picked up the story, which means President Obama will be reading about it. The good news is he takes health — particularly that of children — with deadly seriousness, and HFCS products are aggressively marketed towards children.

Some more foods to toss:
Heinz ketchup
Log Cabin syrup
Sunny-D
Langer's fruit juice cocktails
Hershey's syrup

Boy, this is JUST no fun, is it? It's mostly in condiments and dairy products that the samples were taken from. I'm on the FDA Alerts e-mail list and I'll be expecting to see recalls and advisories on this in the immediate future. If not, I'm gonna write the government every day until HFCS is yanked and an investigation into how widespread this has gotten is underway!

Just get off your tuckus and make your breakfast and lunch. How hard is it to stick some bread in the toaster, boil water for tea/coffee and fry up a couple eggs anyway?
ImageImageImageImage
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

Before tossing anything, I'd suggest waiting for a Second lab's tests to confirm the findings. The amounts of Hg (Mercury) found were... a little odd to this already contaminated individual's eyes.

Yeah, I have Hg in my system; from the time I was a Scientific Equipment Technician with the Los Angeles School District. One of my co-workers died of Mercury poisoning. We were all tested, and the whole shop was found to be contaminated with the stuff. One teaspoonfull (5cc's) when vaporized will contaminate about 10,000 feet of space...and it vaporizes at room temperature. :wolfskull:

While HFCS is pure crap as a food, it is also used in some plastics; where some of the contamination may have come from.
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary

Post by vrikasatma »

The article (or another on the subject; the news has pounced on this story) states that the mercury got into HFCS because it's part of the production process. Get ready for some toe-curling...

"In the first study, researchers found detectable levels of mercury in nine of 20 samples of commercial HFCS. The study was published in current issue of Environmental Health.

In the second study, the agriculture group found that nearly one in three of 55 brand-name foods contained mercury. The chemical was most common in HFCS-containing dairy products, dressings and condiments.

The use of mercury-contaminated caustic soda in the production of HFCS is common. The contamination occurs when mercury cells are used to produce caustic soda."
(from the WaPo article)
ImageImageImageImage