Name Your Favourite Bands

From bands to orchestral to pop music! Shoobie doobie doo wop!! Talk about...... pop pop pop music!!!
Faolan Bloodtooth
Legendary
Legendary

Name Your Favourite Bands

Post by Faolan Bloodtooth »

The list can include any number, but don't overdo it :D 5 seems to be just right :D

So to start it off, here's mine:

1: Fall Out Boy
2: Gym Class Heroes
3: Rise Against
4: Breaking Benjamin
5: Kisschasy
The Past Is Dead...
The Future Is Unborn...
The Moment Is Yours...
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

I'll name some of my favorite bands but I doubt anyone knows them. Anyway, in no specific order:

- Burzum
- Nokturnal Mortum
- Temnozor
- Dimmu Borgir
- Emperor
- Aborym
- Anaal Nathrakh
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
darkest wolf
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: "Begin the day with a friendly voice- a companion unobtrusive, plays that song that's so elusive and the magic music makes your morning mood..."- The Spirit of Radio- Rush
Additional Details: l------------l
l------------l
l------5--3--l
l-3----5--3--l
l-3----3--1--l
l-1----------l
Mood: Excited

Post by darkest wolf »

Alrighty, I'll take a stab at this.

1. The Who
2. The Rolling Stones
3. Van Halen
4. AC/DC
5. The Kinks

All classic rock...heh...heh... :roll:

-Photo and avatar by takyoji

"He who dares wins."- Winston Churchill
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

My tastes have certainly expanded over time. Ask me back around 1990, and I'd have named Whitesnake, Def Leppard, Dokken, KISS, and Scorpions as my favorites. I'm still fond of them, but my preferences are a bit more diverse--though not neccessarily any softer. Hmm...

The Cure
The Cult
The Sisters of Mercy
Bauhaus
and, OK, there's still a special place in my heart for Whitesnake.

I have also learned to recognize greatness beyond my personal preferences. Albums I consider the best of all times--some personal favorites, others I simply personally only kind of like, but recognize as true genius:

Led Zeppelin's untitled fourth album ("runes," "Led Zeppelin IV")--The one with "Stairway to Heaven." Every single song is a classic. I can't not include this one. Highlights include the entire album.

The Moody Blues: Days of Future Past--Recorded in the sixties with the accompaniment of the London Symphony Orchestra, this conceptual album blends classical with then-contemporary music, helping to break rock out of rebellion and into sophistication.

The Cure: Disintegration--Most fans of The Cure agree that this is their pinnacle album. I firmly agree. At 73 minutes, it's one of their longest, beginning with an emotional surge, riding you through music that is at once pop and yet more, and then delving progressively deeper into emotional layering until climaxing with the epic-length title song, and then even returning you gently back to the mundane world at the end.

The Sisters of Mercy: Floodland--An ultimate masterpiece that blends vampiric nationalism with dreamlike emotionalism without sacrificing an onslaught of sheer aural power.

The Beatles: Seargent Pepper's Lonely Heart Club Band--I only heard it once to date, but I could see why it's monumental. It's highly eclectic, and yet it fits together so smoothly.

The Cult: Love--Fellow lycanthrope enthusiasts will appreciate in particular "Brother Wolf, Sister Moon."

Sting: The Soul Cages--Of all Sting's work, this one feels the most personal.

U2: The Joshua Tree--A definite monumental piece by one of the most important bands still alive and touring.

Type O Negative: October Rust--This Gothic heavy metal band's most lush and beautiful album, featuring near the end another track that caters to us werewolf enthusiasts to boost.

Queensryche: Operation: Mindcrime--This delivers what many of us wanted from Pink Floyd's "The Wall" but didn't quite get--a conceptual album encompasing a chilling, hard-edged story in which love and revolutionary politics collide in a way that would startle even George Orwell.

Dio: Magica--from out of nowhere, after a decade of jumping-the-shark doldrums like "Angry Machines," Ronnie James Dio not only equalled his classic "Holy Diver" and "Dream Evil" albums, but upstaged them with his own conceptual album, in which a Borg-like technological force uncovers a world of magic and goes insane trying to understand it. Those of you familiar with my stories involving Four One might see erie parallels--I swear it's not on purpose.

KISS: Music from "The Elder"--OK, I'm a sucker for a good conceptual album. This soundtrack to a movie that never was came out of KISS' most difficult period. Their explosive popularity from the seventies was gone as quickly as it came, and drummer Peter Criss was gone, with guitarist Ace Frehley threatening to follow. Overnight their sound transformed from fizzling pop to brave experimental artistry. Most KISS Army Veterans regard this as a cult favorite, even though most non-KISS fans have never heard of it.[/b]
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
AladasianTheMeerkat
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Come As You Are
Additional Details: Just your typical loofah sponge killin' anthro meerkat from the Cape... that's all.
Mood: Meh...

Post by AladasianTheMeerkat »

Okay, i'll bite...

My faves would prolly Nirvana, Beck, Blur, Bush (x), DJ Shadow, Supertramp, Matthew Good Band, Go Home Productions, Ugly Casanova, Sugar, Dandelion, Wolfbrigade, a few others that aren't on the tip of my internet tounge at the mo', but i'll prolly add them at some point. :*)~
Neenur Neenur Neenur!
Caine
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Caine »

Even though I'm only 20, my taste in music tends to go... a little on the older side:

1. Crosby, Stills, Nash

2. Buffalo Springfield

3. Creedence Clearwater Revival (I'm currently on a binge with this group. BAD MOON RISING OWNS! :howl:  :oo )

4. Manassas

5. The Eagles

Not the usual taste in music for a Werewolf fan, I assume, but I guess a little diversity is ok. Respect the roots, you know? Also, you might notice that a musician by the name of Stephen Stills was in 3/5 bands... one of the most spectacular voices I have ever heard and everybody's heard him too, even if they don't know it.

Ever heard of "For What It's Worth", by Buffalo Springfield?
There's something happening here
What it is ain't exactly clear
There's a man with a gun over there
Telling me I got to beware
I think it's time we stop, children, what's that sound
Everybody look what's going down
Yeah, it's that singer and he's super prolific and amazing. I saw him in concert this summer and, even with his age, he still blew me away!
Silverclaw

Post by Silverclaw »

My current top three:

Oingo Boingo
Gorillaz
Modest Mouse

And some more I love :D

My Chemical Romance
The Goo Goo Dolls
The Killers
Franz Ferdinand
The Used
Nirvana
Metallica
Linkin Park
Sum 41
Green Day
Red Hot Chili Peppers
The White Stripes
System of a Down
Dido
Nine Inch Nails
Creed
Korn
Radiohead
Death Cab for Cutie
Jimmy Eat World
Blur
Weird Al
Smashing Pumpkins
Bjork
The Beatles
Muse
Bush
Oasis
Weezer
Incubus
Cake
The Good the Bad and the Queen
Bright Eyes
U2
Coldplay
Blink 182
Fuel
The Doors
Last edited by Silverclaw on Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Midnight
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Midnight »

I'm supposed to cut it down to five? Ouch.

May as well just choose two favourites and whatever I'm seriously into at this point in time. Have been trying to find samples on You Tube or elsewhere. (As I am on a crap connection I am having to take the video uploaders at their word - so no warranty is expressed or implied).

Split Enz - Best Rock Group Ever. This is their best video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-k3QDTWrSg Good and creepy and good use of colour - it might look a bit old-fashioned but then it was made in 1982.
Verlaines - Second Best Rock Group Ever. They're best live and this is a video of them playing one of their greatest songs live in the TVNZ studio: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJXYqMk_vNY Hope it's as good as it was when they played it in the Riverton arts centre a few years back...

Terminals - Not the Toronto band that seems to get on You Tube a bit but the South Island band that's been going for something like 20 years and that nobody's yet heard of despite them being damned good. Their current record company has one of their tracks available here: http://www.lastvisibledog.com/audio/116.mp3 Caution: it's been banned on American radio because of Bad Language, so if you're under 20 don't click on it. (If you're under 20 you probably won't like it anyway - it's Middle Aged People's Music.)
Midnight Oil - I suppose you're thinking "at last a group someone's heard of". This is one of their less well known songs, but one of their best: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dd_diPTrjpI
Nocturnal Projections - Another group that's completely absent from You Tube. And the internet. And everywhere. AAARRRGGHH! I'll keep on hunting and edit this if I find anything.

EDIT: Finally think I've found something. http://www.mp3.com/albums/557692/summary.html Best song is "Could It Be Increased". Only took me another three quarters of an hour of looking. Watch out though, my firefox crashed twice while I was trying to bring up the samples so there might be something buggy in the site.

Additional edit: I knew it would happen. I knew it would happen. I've remembered another band I should have listed, but forgot, and I can't decide which of the other five to bump... Able Tasmans. Auckland band which play pleasantly warped keyboard and guitar pieces. Found a couple of their videos on You Tube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEFsSo-Z-zs "Hold Me 1" (the reason for the number is that they had two completely different songs, both called "Hold Me", that they wanted to put on that particular album); and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_t9jllpD9o "Big Bang Theory" (one of their louder songs).
Last edited by Midnight on Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marine 49
Pack Member
Pack Member
Custom Title: terminator(no, not from the film)

Post by Marine 49 »

Top five

5. Children of Bodom
4.Thin Lizzy
3. Bolt Thrower( british death metal band, focuses on Warfare, pretty good.)
2. Iced Earth(best power metal band in my honest opinion.)
1. *takes a deep breath*...F***IN' SLAYERRRRRR!!

i have others as well mind. - Chemical Brothers, Daft punk, Bloodhound Gang, Guns 'N Roses, Muse, System of a Down, Rammstein, Nirvanna, Fatboy Slim.
Were Dono
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Were Dono »

I'll join in.

In no particular order, though most aren't considered bands...:

- System of a Down
- Jimi Hendrix
- Steve Conte
- Coldplay
- Seal
- Ozzy Osborne
- Meatloaf

Ok, so I went two over...
Oh well. I had to add all these xD
Baphnedia

Post by Baphnedia »

To note - somewhere else on this forum we've done this (but to abuse my post count to try to match Fenrir's, I'll bite) (and I'll add in details if I've done anything with them)...

Sacred Rite (recorded The End of Time on Resurrection)
Twisted Tower Dire (opened for them at Dragon*Con)
Dream Chemistry (was the special guest at their debut, first band to cover any of my music)
Afro Celt Sound System
My Own Music (oooh, I play myself a lot!)
SouthernLogic (played a bar gig with 'em yay)

and many, many others (some found in the other list - I wanted to keep the number of repeated bands down though)...
Everyday should be Towel Day.
Sekrit Identity: What?
Paradice Games: .com, Forums & Facebook
cumulusprotagonist
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Possessed by the Ghost of Cumulus

Post by cumulusprotagonist »

Scott Gardener wrote:My tastes have certainly expanded over time. Ask me back around 1990, and I'd have named Whitesnake, Def Leppard, Dokken, KISS, and Scorpions as my favorites. I'm still fond of them, but my preferences are a bit more diverse--though not neccessarily any softer. Hmm...

The Cure
The Cult
The Sisters of Mercy
Bauhaus
and, OK, there's still a special place in my heart for Whitesnake.

I have also learned to recognize greatness beyond my personal preferences. Albums I consider the best of all times--some personal favorites, others I simply personally only kind of like, but recognize as true genius:

Led Zeppelin's untitled fourth album ("runes," "Led Zeppelin IV")--The one with "Stairway to Heaven." Every single song is a classic. I can't not include this one. Highlights include the entire album.

The Moody Blues: Days of Future Past--Recorded in the sixties with the accompaniment of the London Symphony Orchestra, this conceptual album blends classical with then-contemporary music, helping to break rock out of rebellion and into sophistication.

The Cure: Disintegration--Most fans of The Cure agree that this is their pinnacle album. I firmly agree. At 73 minutes, it's one of their longest, beginning with an emotional surge, riding you through music that is at once pop and yet more, and then delving progressively deeper into emotional layering until climaxing with the epic-length title song, and then even returning you gently back to the mundane world at the end.

The Sisters of Mercy: Floodland--An ultimate masterpiece that blends vampiric nationalism with dreamlike emotionalism without sacrificing an onslaught of sheer aural power.

The Beatles: Seargent Pepper's Lonely Heart Club Band--I only heard it once to date, but I could see why it's monumental. It's highly eclectic, and yet it fits together so smoothly.

The Cult: Love--Fellow lycanthrope enthusiasts will appreciate in particular "Brother Wolf, Sister Moon."

Sting: The Soul Cages--Of all Sting's work, this one feels the most personal.

U2: The Joshua Tree--A definite monumental piece by one of the most important bands still alive and touring.

Type O Negative: October Rust--This Gothic heavy metal band's most lush and beautiful album, featuring near the end another track that caters to us werewolf enthusiasts to boost.

Queensryche: Operation: Mindcrime--This delivers what many of us wanted from Pink Floyd's "The Wall" but didn't quite get--a conceptual album encompasing a chilling, hard-edged story in which love and revolutionary politics collide in a way that would startle even George Orwell.

Dio: Magica--from out of nowhere, after a decade of jumping-the-shark doldrums like "Angry Machines," Ronnie James Dio not only equalled his classic "Holy Diver" and "Dream Evil" albums, but upstaged them with his own conceptual album, in which a Borg-like technological force uncovers a world of magic and goes insane trying to understand it. Those of you familiar with my stories involving Four One might see erie parallels--I swear it's not on purpose.

KISS: Music from "The Elder"--OK, I'm a sucker for a good conceptual album. This soundtrack to a movie that never was came out of KISS' most difficult period. Their explosive popularity from the seventies was gone as quickly as it came, and drummer Peter Criss was gone, with guitarist Ace Frehley threatening to follow. Overnight their sound transformed from fizzling pop to brave experimental artistry. Most KISS Army Veterans regard this as a cult favorite, even though most non-KISS fans have never heard of it.[/b]
What about Boston's debut album???
Maybe I am wrong...

DO NOT CLICK ON THIS LINK!!!!!!

Photography by ___________
Photo Manipulation by Z
lupine
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Lead us Not into Temptation.... I can find the way by myself

Post by lupine »

Umm...

I love such a wide range of music that its hard to choose just 5 bands but here goes anyways.

In no particular order...

Thin Lizzy

The Cure

Counting Crows

The Arcade Fire

Nouvelle Vague

This list could go on and on and on...and on..
Well be, thy one. And wisdom too. And grew, and joyed in my growth. From a word to a word, I was led to a word. From a deed...to another deed.

"I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."
cumulusprotagonist
Legendary
Legendary

lupine wrote:Umm...

I love such a wide range of music that its hard to choose just 5 bands but here goes anyways.

In no particular order...

Thin Lizzy

The Cure

Counting Crows

The Arcade Fire

Nouvelle Vague

This list could go on and on and on...and on..
The boys are back in town
Maybe I am wrong...

Photo Manipulation by Z
nachoboy
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The hip-hoppinest, nacho-lovinest lycanthrope

Post by nachoboy »

Say Anything

The Rocket Summer

Backseat Goodbye

The Hold Steady

The Shins

Noisettes

The Hush Sound

Modest Mouse

Cat Stevens

Gorillaz.

good stuff right theres.
DENNY COLEMAN IS KING!
"It is a widely known fact that ALL werewolves love Malt-o-Meal."
http://djnacho.deviantart.com
Lukas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: living
Mood: Indifferent

Post by Lukas »

Daler Mehndi
Rammstein
Serj Tankian
(for every afro avatar, a funky man loses his hair, please, think of undercover brother)
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets

Re: Name Your Favourite Bands

Post by MoonKit »

Faolan Bloodtooth wrote: 3: Rise Against
They're defiantly on my list!

1: The World/Inferno Friendship Society
2: The Wallflowers

Then after that, there's no particular order. Rise Against, Saves The Day, The Postal Service, Tom Waits (not a band), Goo Goo Dolls, Finch...
You are the only light there is for yourself my friend
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Sometimes, ya just gotta say ... BLEEEE!!
Additional Details: Digg: Gemfinder
Dragon Cave: http://dragcave.net/user/Xocowolf
Twitter: @Xocowolf
Mood: Busy

Post by vrikasatma »

Crash Worship
Slick Idiot
Type O Negative
Spike Jones & the City Slickers
The Who
Dead Can Dance
Lycia
Queen
ELO

No particular order.
chubhound
Legendary
Legendary

Post by chubhound »

Well, since it's late and I'm bored....I'll jump in here. Some of my favorite bands (INPO):

Metallica (up through the "Black" album)
Anthrax (through "Persistence of Time")
Slayer (through "Seasons in the Abyss)
Death
Nile
Dethklok (yeah yeah...I know they're a cartoon. I don't care)
Solitude Aeturnus
King Diamond/Mercyful Fate
Morbid Angel
Suffocation
Immolation
Malevolent Creation
Devastation
Candlemass
Cannibal Corpse

And plenty of others that my brain can't think of right now.
Life is too serious to be taken too seriously
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary

Post by vrikasatma »

Candlemass!

I remember them. I went to see them when I was living in San Francisco. The lead singer swore I was his long-lost sister and the tall blonde guitarist kept hitting on me.

No, I didn't. He wasn't my type.
cumulusprotagonist
Legendary
Legendary

vrikasatma wrote:Crash Worship
Slick Idiot
Type O Negative
Spike Jones & the City Slickers
The Who
Dead Can Dance
Lycia
Queen
ELO

No particular order.
Electric Lights Orchestra?
Maybe I am wrong...

Photo Manipulation by Z
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary

Post by vrikasatma »

Electric Light Orchestra, yes indeed.

I want to do a musical freestyle to "Fire On High" or "Strange Magic."
Blue-eyes in the dark
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The doomed Chocolate lover.
Mood: Happy

Post by Blue-eyes in the dark »

Anything really i just don't like badly presented music like emo music and sceine power tieboers. lol
Reading an distributing copies of "The Werewolf's Guide to Life: a Manuel for the newly bitten" Help, where it's needed.
chubhound
Legendary
Legendary

Post by chubhound »

Hey....I just noticed someting when I was looking at that list I put up earlier: Suffocation, Immolation, Malevolent Creation, Devastation....WOW, there were a lot of "ation" bands back in the early '90's. hehehehe
Life is too serious to be taken too seriously
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets

Re: Name Your Favourite Bands

Post by MoonKit »

MoonKit wrote:
1: The World/Inferno Friendship Society
2: The Wallflowers

Then after that, there's no particular order. Rise Against, Saves The Day, The Postal Service, Tom Waits (not a band), Goo Goo Dolls, Finch...
Others to add:

Flogging Molly (I love punk music!)
James
The Killers
VAST (is aright)
You are the only light there is for yourself my friend