Perfect soundtrack for a werewolf movie

From bands to orchestral to pop music! Shoobie doobie doo wop!! Talk about...... pop pop pop music!!!
chuckconroy
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Perfect soundtrack for a werewolf movie

Post by chuckconroy »

simple concept; Post the songs you think would make the perfect soundtrack for a werewolf movie, be sure to specify when the songs would be played (like during the transformation, or the opening credits)

Here's my list

Opening credits
Bad moon Rising - CCR
Moonshadow - Cat Stevens

The Transformation
Hound dog - Elvis presley

Romantic subplot related
Moondance - Van morrison
Blue Moon - any version, except of course that atrocious rendition by the marcels

Miscallenous
Werewolves of london - warren zevon
I'm a werewolf, baby - Tragically hip
Fear of the dark - Iron maiden
They only come out at night - Lordi

Ending credits
Blue Moon - Diane Shaw

If there was a trailer, then Moonlight Sonata by Beethoven would have to be played over it.
Sioux
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: A life does not have to be human to be great.

Post by Sioux »

I don't agree with you on your choice of song for the transformation.
To have Elvis Presleys' Hound Dog playing during it would make the transformation seem/look like a joke.
The transformation is a serious matter which should have the audience saying "Oooo. Ahhh." at the sight of someone turning into a wolf(or gestalt form).
Just, having that song during it would make the entire thing look cheesey and take away from the scene itself. I believe the song would be a distraction.

Honestly, I think something composed would fit much better. Something that draws the audience to the transformation and causes them to wonder at the sight of it. For some, I believe the transformation would be utterly breath taking.
Or maybe, a song wouldn't be needed at all. The fact the someone is transforming into an animal right before their eyes would be enough to draw their attention. Only the sound of the transformation itself would be needed.
The transformation scene, in my opinion, is a dramatic one. Yes, something composed or no music at all would fit it perfectly.
Konietzko
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Konietzko »

And I still can't believe that so many people are missing the good ole cliche song.

While they may be anathema to many net people....Metallica always has the song "Of Wolf and Man".
"Unchained,
Unrestrained,
Unbroken,
In my world...
The Gods have fangs."
Wselfwulf
Legendary
Legendary

Re: Perfect soundtrack for a werewolf movie

Post by Wselfwulf »

Hound dog for a transformation? For a cheesy parody, maybe. Dragonland's 'Direction Perfection' I reckon. Rising intro, some open-ended lyrics, not a bad solo either, and sufficiently heavy.
Real humanity presents a mixture of all that is most sublime and beautiful with all that is vilest and most monstrous in the world - Mikhail Bakunin, God and The State

Nothing in life is certain except negative patient care outcomes and revenue enhancement - William Lutz
Baphnedia

Post by Baphnedia »

Personally, I never think about soundtracks for movies - usually the music director of a movie will be the one thinking of that... although since we're recommending good transformation songs...

Das Tir In Mir by E Nomine is great. Especially for audiences who understand Latin and German. :p
Everyday should be Towel Day.
Sekrit Identity: What?
Paradice Games: .com, Forums & Facebook
chuckconroy
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Post by chuckconroy »

Wselfwulf wrote:Hound dog for a transformation? For a cheesy parody, maybe. Dragonland's 'Direction Perfection' I reckon. Rising intro, some open-ended lyrics, not a bad solo either, and sufficiently heavy.
sioux wrote:I don't agree with you on your choice of song for the transformation.
To have Elvis Presleys' Hound Dog playing during it would make the transformation seem/look like a joke.

So then Why does John Landis get to (over)use blue moon, which happens to be a love song?

I dunno, I thought the juxtaposition of a painful, gross TF and a rather upbeat tune would make the whole scene even more unsettling and disturbing.

So, what about my other song choices?
Wselfwulf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Wselfwulf »

'Fear of the dark', with a tempo as such would have to be used correctly, like a sort of mix of action sequences and horror, with plenty of darkness. Lordi, also, would be good insofar as it concurred with some nice horror.
Real humanity presents a mixture of all that is most sublime and beautiful with all that is vilest and most monstrous in the world - Mikhail Bakunin, God and The State

Nothing in life is certain except negative patient care outcomes and revenue enhancement - William Lutz
chuckconroy
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Post by chuckconroy »

Isn't anyone gonna post their own lists?

All you guys've done is comment on mine.
Sioux
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Sioux »

Have you read the script?

Making a soundtrack of a the movie is impossible without reading the script. When reading the script, I can see each scene play out it my mind, get the mood of the story(and various situations), I get an indepth look of the characters, and then I can apply music accordingly. However, it would be easier to apply music after its been filmed. That way, I can watch it and gett a better look and feel for the characters, story, mood, etc and then apply music.
Without reading the script, then your basically applying music to just a werewolf movie not Freeborn. Here, let me say it like this. You know that this is "A werewolf movie" but, without reading the script then all your doing is apply music you think is good for a werewolf film in general, but not necessary Freeborn. Do you understand?

Anyways, I'm not a film composer.
I've asked AB for a copy of the script but, he hasn't gotten back to me. Too busy I suppose.
chuckconroy
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Post by chuckconroy »

where in any post does it say that the list is specifically for freeborn?
Sioux
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Sioux »

chuckconroy wrote:where in any post does it say that the list is specifically for freeborn?

Oops! Your right. I'm sorry. Even though your thread title says "Perfect soundtrack for a werewolf movie" I thought that, that werewolf movie was Freeborn. My mistake.
My previous post still applies though.
But, now that we're not talking about Freeborn, that makes applying music even more difficult because, not all werewolf movies are a like(though some are similar). Different music for different situations. All depends on the movie.
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

According to a friend that seems to know about these things;
the best music for any picture that is NOT a Musical-
is the soundtrack you don't hear, because it is a part of the overall scene. :music:

How many times have you bought the soundtrack to a movie and said; "I never heard that"...and then you realized you did but didn't realize it at the time, because it was wrapped up in the scene that it was emphasizing and modifying for the images that it was involved with.

It's like salt: in a good dish you don't taste the salt. You only "taste" it when it isn't there.
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
LunarCarnivore
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: RAR!

Post by LunarCarnivore »

well i for one am going to post my own list.

Opening credits: Headstrong by Trapt
Transformation: lycanthropy by Six Feet Under
wolf running/hunting: Moondance by Nightwish
romantic or drama infused action sequences: selected segments of Rise of the Pentagram by Cradle of Filth.
Werewolf vs werewolf fight in which they start human and become more and more wolf as the fight progresses: Down with the sickness by Disturbed
Miscellaneous: anything by Godsmack or Disturbed or E Nomine
End credits: Moonbaby by Godsmack

thats what i got, what yall think?
Formerly known as Wolf-Man-24
Sioux
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Sioux »

RedEye wrote:According to a friend that seems to know about these things;
the best music for any picture that is NOT a Musical-
is the soundtrack you don't hear, because it is a part of the overall scene. :music:

How many times have you bought the soundtrack to a movie and said; "I never heard that"...and then you realized you did but didn't realize it at the time, because it was wrapped up in the scene that it was emphasizing and modifying for the images that it was involved with.

It's like salt: in a good dish you don't taste the salt. You only "taste" it when it isn't there.
Very well put. :D
Wselfwulf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Wselfwulf »

Bloody good list, wolf-man. And I was just thinking of moondance by Nightwish. Were I to make a werewolf film, it would involve heavy anarcho-primitivism themes and a sort of para-freudian id Vs superego dichotomy, and plenty of horror and occultism. I apologize in advance, paucity is not my strength (at least you've got plenty to choose from). Don't get me wrong though, I reckon I could justify each song on this list.

Opening Credits or sequence
In tenibris - rhapsody
lunar sanctum - kamelot

Life before the change
Misplaced - sonata arctica
Frozen candle/misguiding your life - edguy
motherless child - yngwie J malmsteen

Transformation(s)
direction: perfection - dragonland
fall from grace - kamelot

adjusting to the affliction
Out of a distant night (voices) - vision divine
Royal hunt - tearing down the world

Horror and violencemask of sanity - children of bodom
When demons awake - rhapsody
Megalomaniac trees - unexpect

climax
March of mephisto - kamelot

unity between the halves
new beginning - divinefire
Hunting high and low - stratovarious
Rising force - yngwie J malmsteen

backgrounded or miscellaneous
Enjoy/nightmare - angel dust
king of fools/under the moon - edguy
Anarchy means crossing when it says “don’t walk’/ the mystery of the artist explained/somebody start a fight or something - TISM
Wolf and raven/ain’t your fairytale - sonata arctica

Dissociated meaning:
liberty lying bleeding - agent steel
dead sound of misery - blind guardian
the human stain - kamelot
The cage/fullmoon - Sonata arctica
see you in hell (don’t be late) - yngwie J malmsteen
The daemon you hide - vision divine

End credits:
the spell - kamelot
Wolf's return II - grand magus

Okay, so it's clear I thought about this a little too much.

LunarCarnivore
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: RAR!

Post by LunarCarnivore »

wow, thats one comprehensive list! im systematically (randomy) listening to the songs that i dont know, and ive gotta say sonata arctica fullmoon kicks some major butt!
Formerly known as Wolf-Man-24
Wselfwulf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Wselfwulf »

Sure does

Berserker
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Berserker »

I reckon any pop music in my werewolf movie would be performed by Tenhi.

Wselfwulf, you're a huge power/prog metal fan eh?
Wselfwulf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Wselfwulf »

That is quite the case. Particularly progressive but I went through an alice cooper/scorpions hair metal thing recently.