Emoticon organization

Here is where you can find whats happening on the website, and current, and future updates.
takyoji
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Busy

Emoticon organization

Post by takyoji »

How should we have the emoticons be organized? What are the "primary" emoticons that should be shown when posting, without having to open a new window to see the rest? Should we have them categorized, or have a search engine that finds relevant emoticons to your search (nearly instantly, handled by Javascript most likely)? If we choose the latter, should we just completely replace the visible emoticons with a basic search engine, wheras the results would just be the emoticons themselves?

Feel free to share your input.
Avatar original image by "sometimesong" of Flickr, released under the Creative Commons license (share-alike, attribution, non-commercial, no-derivatives)
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Emoticon organization

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Will it be possible to set up your own custom primary emoticons? Because everyone has some preference of what they mostly use. Just thought it would be a neat idea if we did this. Otherwise I already see a few primary emoticons that can easily be replaced with one of the others. I will say what they are tomorrow.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Sevena

Post by Sevena »

hhmm custom primary emoticons ? thats a thought.i dont really see an issue with them as they are now.
outwarddoodles
Custom Title: I'm here! What more do you want?

Post by outwarddoodles »

I would say either:
Keep a set of common emoticons as the "Primary" emotes that appear automatically. Then devise a sorting system for the rest.

- Or -

Allow users to edit their own set of "Primary Emoticons."

As for the sorting system:

DA, by far, has my favorite emote sorting system ever. BUT, the unfortunate quality of DA's system is that certain emotes are often hidden in corners of the 'relationship tree,' and you'll never really know if they exist unless you explore.

Otherwise, I think a category system would be nice: "Emotions", "Activities", "Seasonal", "Shout-outs", "Silly", and "Duckies" would all be examples of potential categories. : )
"We are not always what we seem, and hardly ever what we dream."
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Right, as I stated earlier that I think the ability to set Custom Primaries for emoticons would be a great features if it is possible to implement. Otherwise there is a just two that I can think of right now that can be replaced.

:P replace with :grinp:

rvt replace :duckbomb: or any other duckie icon.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

I'd say these for primary:

:) :( :? :x :o :lol: :wink: :| :grinp:

Beyond that? I dunno. The basic duckie toss, maybe? Whatever tends to get used the most.