Instant Messaging for all users (underway)

Here is where you can find whats happening on the website, and current, and future updates.
takyoji
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Busy

Instant Messaging for all users (underway)

Post by takyoji »

I plan to have an ejabberd server running soon. All users will automatically have an instant messaging account by default. I plan to have it where the password for the account is the same as the person's forum password, but allow a user to change their Jabber password through the User Control Panel (UCP) on the forum. Later on I plan to also have a web-based client, where people can easily talk when they're on the forum just like Facebook. And with this, every member will be able to contact each other without both having to have an AIM, Yahoo, MSN, or whatever account and without the need to register/maintain an additional account.

There's a few fields of interest I'd like to receive input on, which would be:
  • Should a persons account be active by default, or should they have to first activate it in order to use it? (an unused account is just the same as one that's active). In other words, opt-in only rather than opt-out by default.
  • Privacy. Should all "foes" (as per the forum) be considered blocked by default?
  • Anything else you have in mind
Once created, everyone will have their own Jabber account like (your username)@thepack.network. People will also be able to request additional aliases.
Avatar original image by "sometimesong" of Flickr, released under the Creative Commons license (share-alike, attribution, non-commercial, no-derivatives)
Wingman
Game Master
Game Master
Custom Title: Dastardly ne'er-do-well in search of a lickspittle

Re: Instant Messaging for all users (underway)

Post by Wingman »

Excellent idea.
Should a persons account be active by default, or should they have to first activate it in order to use it? (an unused account is just the same as one that's active). In other words, opt-in only rather than opt-out by default.
I would have to say that requiring activation is probably the best idea, for the same reasons as requiring a mod to approve new posts by new users. I'm not sure how much of a concern it is, but some people will just plain never use it, so having it opt-in will cut down on the amount of data rattling around.
Privacy. Should all "foes" (as per the forum) be considered blocked by default?
I think it would be best to have some sort of prompt upon first accessing the system, some sort of "Do you want to block messages from X, Y, and Lupin?"
http://stevebot-7.deviantart.com/
Quod sumus hoc eritis

Aspirant writer-artist.
Baphnedia

Post by Baphnedia »

I'd like this for The Pack, Paradice and another forum that I'll be starting (not as Baphnedia). That is how awesome this is...
Everyday should be Towel Day.
Sekrit Identity: What?
Paradice Games: .com, Forums & Facebook
Celestialwolf
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Werewolf at Heart
Additional Details: Used to be Lazywolf

Post by Celestialwolf »

IMO, Opt-in by default. Most of the time, the easiest course of action is the one that gets chosen; if it's already active without the user having to do anything, there's a higher chance of them using it. During the initial roll-out, maybe the user gets a splash screen or some kind of message when they first log in to give them the option of turning it off if they want or taking them to a link explaining how to use it & etc. if they want to know more.
Founder, Werewolves At Heart group.
--
My DeviantArt profile and Character Sheet
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

Wingman wrote:Excellent idea.
Should a persons account be active by default, or should they have to first activate it in order to use it? (an unused account is just the same as one that's active). In other words, opt-in only rather than opt-out by default.
I would have to say that requiring activation is probably the best idea, for the same reasons as requiring a mod to approve new posts by new users. I'm not sure how much of a concern it is, but some people will just plain never use it, so having it opt-in will cut down on the amount of data rattling around.
Privacy. Should all "foes" (as per the forum) be considered blocked by default?
I think it would be best to have some sort of prompt upon first accessing the system, some sort of "Do you want to block messages from X, Y, and Lupin?"

Flattery will get you everywhere! (Except there. Gross.)
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image