Forum Reset & Restructuring Ideas

Here is where you can find whats happening on the website, and current, and future updates.

Archive the old forum posts, and have a new clean start (with accounts copied over)?

Proceed
62%
Don't Proceed
8%
2 - Doesn’t really care either way
31%

Total votes: 13

takyoji
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Busy

Forum Reset & Restructuring Ideas

Post by takyoji »

EDIT: I've added a poll to the topic. Be sure to vote; you can also change your vote at any time. I will automatically follow through the procedure if it reaches 25 'Proceed' votes, and has a 2/3rds majority in-favor at that point.

A few details:
  • Accounts, avatars, profiles, and post counts shall persist into the new start of the forum; you won't need to re-register
  • Private messages and attachments will not be copied over
  • The old forum will stay read-only for archival reasons
---
I've had a few ideas, which had been brought up before (or perhaps worded a little differently):
  • We could restart the whole forum with all new forum sections, clean start and all; and then leave all the old posts in a separate read-only installation, for archival reasons.
  • Deploy a OSQA install, for the topic of '"What should a werewolf be?"; so that people can present their ideas, and up-vote the ideas they support, therefore having a gauged system that shows what the majority believes.
Avatar original image by "sometimesong" of Flickr, released under the Creative Commons license (share-alike, attribution, non-commercial, no-derivatives)
Volkodlak
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Bored

Re: Forum Restructuring Ideas

Post by Volkodlak »

but in What should a werewolf be we should create topics with polls:

WW strenght
WW speed
WW stamina....

so there will not be double posts or tons of new topics and if you want to post topic you will need to ask mod or admin so there will be no trashing
Meeper
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Friendly Neighbourhood Meeper
Additional Details: Wannabe mad scientist.

Post by Meeper »

Voting up a set defined idea sounds like a good idea to me, but how would it be different from the polling system the forum already has?

I'm also wondering how are we going to define the ideas that go into the voting system, for example, I'm not the best orator in the world, if I badly explained a really fundamental concept that's worth consideration in a vote, are people going to vote it down for being a good but flawed idea? or because my wording sucks?

I think to do it well we'll need to hash out what goes in first (*edit* would a wiki work for that?), make sure it's solid, then vote on it, something which doesn't necessarily happen with the forum polling system so far as I can tell, where someone can ask you to vote on something patently silly.

The Meeper.
While the empty can may rattle the most, of equal or potentially greater import is what the reputably quiet cans are really full of.
All names are but souvenirs, in the end. Make good of your stay, so that they hold happy memories ~ Some guy.
Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools speak because they have to say something.
To a man with a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
Sevena

Post by Sevena »

takyoji wrote:I've had a few ideas, which had been brought up before (or perhaps worded a little differently):
  • We could restart the whole forum with all new forum sections, clean start and all; and then leave all the old posts in a separate read-only installation, for archival reasons.
  • Deploy a OSQA install, for the topic of '"What should a werewolf be?"; so that people can present their ideas, and up-vote the ideas they support, therefore having a gauged system that shows what the majority believes.
An all new forum could create new discussion and give the board some life.I don't really feel it will bring it back to life, the lack of activity is due to member use not just that we have discussed everything we can think of but I will admit it plays a role.Though a new forum could attract new members,I'm just not sold on the idea.Archiving older posts has been discussed before and filing some of those would free up old ideas for new discussion.
Personally I would be a little sad to see everything wiped clean but that's just me and if the majority think that's best then go for it.With the amount of new users actually posting the real issue is getting them to continue to do it and to get older users posting again.If the the board is wiped clean and restructured are any of the older members gonna want to discuss topics they've already put out their opinion on? I would.
I think the osqa for "What should a werewolf be?" is a good idea,in my opinion it would bring that whole section together quite nice. :)
takyoji
Legendary
Legendary

Post by takyoji »

Meeper wrote:Voting up a set defined idea sounds like a good idea to me, but how would it be different from the polling system the forum already has?

I'm also wondering how are we going to define the ideas that go into the voting system, for example, I'm not the best orator in the world, if I badly explained a really fundamental concept that's worth consideration in a vote, are people going to vote it down for being a good but flawed idea? or because my wording sucks?

I think to do it well we'll need to hash out what goes in first (*edit* would a wiki work for that?), make sure it's solid, then vote on it, something which doesn't necessarily happen with the forum polling system so far as I can tell, where someone can ask you to vote on something patently silly.

The Meeper.
You may be taking the structure a little wrong; it's a fairly laid back structure where you post answers just like you post forum topics, it's not like it's the end of the world if two people post the same thing. For example, a person posts a question, just like they post a forum topic, and people post answers, just like responses. An example of StackOverflow can be seen here: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1547 ... -a-favicon

Also, outwarddoodles had an interesting idea: instead of breaking off to OSQA, we could perhaps have a "Like" option for posts (similar to Facebook) where people can somewhat inherently 'vote' for the post. Such a feature could also be used in general, just for the sake of showing support, instead of having pointless short posts like "i agree" that don't contribute to discussion whatsofreakingever.

As for archiving the forum; it doesn't matter to me either way. It's whatever the majority feels is best, it's just a simple proposal.
Avatar original image by "sometimesong" of Flickr, released under the Creative Commons license (share-alike, attribution, non-commercial, no-derivatives)
Sevena

Post by Sevena »

takyoji wrote: Also, outwarddoodles had an interesting idea: instead of breaking off to OSQA, we could perhaps have a "Like" option for posts (similar to Facebook) where people can somewhat inherently 'vote' for the post. Such a feature could also be used in general, just for the sake of showing support, instead of having pointless short posts like "i agree" that don't contribute to discussion whatsofreakingever.
I've used this feature in another forum,if my opinion had already been summed up by another user or users I could just thumbs up the posts I agreed with.I don't see it hindering activity within the forum or I should say participation within threads.If you want to add to the convo thats great but it's a good option when you just want to agree with something.
WerewolfKeeper3
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Darkness Surrounds me, Chaos commands me, and i see what others cannot
Mood: Relief

Re: Forum Reset & Restructuring Ideas

Post by WerewolfKeeper3 »

My only question would be: would this actually help things along?
If you do all this work, and nothing happens, it may have proven to be a waste of time.

There's also the "Closing the door" issue:
Switching to another site, and turning this into an archive is basically like shutting the door on the past. Does have some finality to it... but that's just me.

Honestly if you think this will work, okay. But for the moment, i'm voting unsure.

(I think i may help attract more people, allow members to discuss things again in a new setting, get things rolling by having a fresh start and the like... are you sure there's no way i can talk you into voting yes?)
I think you just did...
( :D )
No what you have are bullets in the hope that when your guns are empty I'm no longer standing. Because if I am, you'll all be before you've reloaded.
V, from V for Vendetta.

What a strange creature is man, that he cages himself so willingly?
-Athena from Appleseed (2004)
Volkodlak
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Volkodlak »

but we need to create design of WW that most of us agree so we can discus what if topics and similar topics
outwarddoodles
Custom Title: I'm here! What more do you want?

Post by outwarddoodles »

Would it be more appropriate to construct a sort of prototype or demo to help us all picture how OSQA look for "What should a werewolf be"? I think we also all need to know that we have a working, bug free model of the new format before we close the door on the original forum.

I voted "unsure," although I absolutely think that a change in format is absolutely necessary to reviving these forums. I think that we can consider this a new venture to bring something else to life -- a new type of werewolf discussion and community. Hopefully the new format will inspire more precipitation and interest -- being a new, flashy, internet thing that's spreading to so many other forums.

My hesitancy with the proposed format, however, is finding unpopular opinions either voted down or not voted up, leaving thoughtful alternative viewpoints to fall into obscurity on the bottom of the screen. Not that this doesn't happen in the current system anyway (good posts going unnoticed).

So, unsure with a strong leaning towards "Let's do it!" Pretty much, I want a new forum and a new format, I just need to know that the new format will work.
"We are not always what we seem, and hardly ever what we dream."
Volkodlak
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Volkodlak »

so is plan in motion?
Meeper
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Meeper »

Now that I've got some carbs into me like a good little werewolf (*Edit* fan), posting silly season is over.

I concur with outwarddoodles, a dry run of the new format would be good, but otherwise? As I mentioned before, takyoji, I'm not clever enough to comment on whether or not rebooting the forum will bring it back to life, to be honest the long periods of inactivity are simply part and parcel of a good forum, at least to me, they wake up when they need to. But I guess on the internet everything has to buzz all the time or people get bored (or something else shiny and new comes along). It's still strange to me that happens, and I feel clumsy trying to fulfill that expectation.

The Meeper.
While the empty can may rattle the most, of equal or potentially greater import is what the reputably quiet cans are really full of.
All names are but souvenirs, in the end. Make good of your stay, so that they hold happy memories ~ Some guy.
Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools speak because they have to say something.
Sevena

Post by Sevena »

I voted to proceed(a few days prior to this post)would change my vote to unsure but I'm not seeing that option,oh there it is :P .I'm still not sure wether its what this forum needs to get the blood flowing :VERYcaf: Regardless of the forum people find this place when looking for it and member activity goes from nothing to constant convo then back to nothing.Some of the features of the new forum sound fun and interesting and it could actually help liven this place up BUT for how long.Is it going to provide the long term effects we're looking for? That, I'm not so sure about.Honestly I'll be a little sad to see this place go.Either way this member will be sticking around so if we get a new forum cool, if not , oh well.
This place, even when its active is pretty mellow.In my opinion member activity isnt the real issue,its real conversation thats lacking.The creative den used to always have new posts.People shared their passions with eachother and for awhile there was constant artwork being uploaded, stories being told, a great creative community had developed.In my opinion the creative den is half the heart of this place, it helps spawn ideas which lead to convo.
My mind is starting to wander and I'll prob end up just repeating myself (rephrasing what i've already said) :P so anywho, thats how I feel about.

edited :P
Last edited by Sevena on Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Meeper
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Meeper »

Funny you should mention the creative den Sevena, there was one reason I thought about coming here, to do photo manipulations (and maybe some engineering stuff), but I knew all along I either wasn't good enough or not appropriate for the task at hand, I didn't even bother thinking about being here for several years till I was reasonably confident in doing any of that, by which time, as predicted, it had already been hashed out. Back to square boned. But having sat through the rise and fall of two art sites, I was also having flashbacks to the forum denizen's interest either not being there, or ultimately drying up one way or another, in the case of the Were Artist Guild and Artspots, they largely took my interest in doing these things with it. When those sites faded out/folded, everybody else moved to live journal, or facebook or another art site. I stopped painting. That's mental investment for you.

I'm still not sure I belong here, there's cleverer people, better artists, and bigger werewolf fans than I, this was ultimately a movie brain storming post, AB did it to make a movie, it's done its job, I'm ok with that. I'm not willing to go through the wringer again somewhere I have no business being, I mean, what have we got, take the costuming sub forum, I've been tinkering with costume ideas, but I'm afraid to post them here, on the one hand they could be cool, on the other, I doubt anybody would be interested in making and using any of it. Back to square boned.

I guess I'm just weird *shrugs* :P

The Meeper.
Sevena

Post by Sevena »

Meeper wrote: I've been tinkering with costume ideas, but I'm afraid to post them here, on the one hand they could be cool, on the other, I doubt anybody would be interested in making and using any of it. Back to square boned.

I guess I'm just weird *shrugs* :P

The Meeper.
There lies the problem.With low traffic on the board some may assume theres a low level of interest in the community and its members.When in my opinion there is a higher level of interest in what the current posters are creating.
FoxKnight
Legendary
Legendary
Additional Details: Account in stasis
Mood: Indifferent

Post by FoxKnight »

I'm not exactly sure if down voting is necessary at all here.

Personally, I like the idea of voting on a post, but not showing the vote count for each thread. That might get us to avoid certain threads just because the vote count is low or negative, which wouldn't be constructive in the end
Volkodlak
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Volkodlak »

are you gona restart or not?
Sevena

Post by Sevena »

lovec1990 wrote:are you gona restart or not?
The Proceed vote count must reach 25 before anything will happen.Last I looked it only had 6.Members are making their way back to the forum as they always do and with the waking of the dead around here(necroposting,like it or not) discussion has sprung up all over the place.With new and old members posting their views and jumping into random conversation.It might not be the surge of activity some are looking for but it's decent.
Volkodlak
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Volkodlak »

Sevena wrote:
lovec1990 wrote:are you gona restart or not?
The Proceed vote count must reach 25 before anything will happen.Last I looked it only had 6.Members are making their way back to the forum as they always do and with the waking of the dead around here(necroposting,like it or not) discussion has sprung up all over the place.With new and old members posting their views and jumping into random conversation.It might not be the surge of activity some are looking for but it's decent.
ok,but if we restart this forum we should design WW attributes that most of us like so we would have a general WW design so then we can talk about their lives,jobs and so on.
Sevena

Post by Sevena »

Ok well it seems as though we are not goin to get a new forum.Which is fine by me and apparently most of the board members since only 11 turned out to vote.So what do we do now? Instead on focusing on a new forum why not talk about what we can do to update this forum,give it a change and what not.What aspects of the new forum that where talked about could be put to use here? What fun things can we add?
Im not totally computer illiterate but I am unfamiliar with just about anything website wise.At the moment anywho :P What about a makeover for The Pack forum? Maybe a new color scheme, a window here and there to add some light :P Any ideas? We have some features that we don't even use like the friends and foes thingy mibober,maybe we could replace that with something? With what I have no idea.We could make a list of things we like from other forums and see if Takyoji has time and is willing to implement them here?
This has prob been suggested before and in general I like the forum the way it is but would be fun! to add some fun! things to the forum :P

Edit: Maybe an in forum game? some thing simple that members could log into and play together while on the board?
Uniform Two Six
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Uniform Two Six »

I vote for a prominent link on the index page to the Freeborn web series when that eventually goes up.
Sevena

Post by Sevena »

Uniform Two Six wrote:I vote for a prominent link on the index page to the Freeborn web series when that eventually goes up.
Excellent idea :headbanger:
Volkodlak
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Volkodlak »

Uniform Two Six wrote:I vote for a prominent link on the index page to the Freeborn web series when that eventually goes up.
i agree
Chance
Legendary
Legendary
Additional Details: There is joy in everything you do, you just have to realize it's there so you can embrace it.
Mood: Happy

Post by Chance »

Albert Einstein is widely credited with saying, “The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results.”

How many roads must a man walk down?

Ok, so here's an idea. Let's never bring this up again. I won't talk about it if you don't. :lol: I mean this thread was started in 2012, only 13 votes since then. We still need 12 votes, in 2021!

It never happend, it's never gonna happen, I will from now on accept our state of being. :wereduck: