Steps to the Ultimate Werewolf Movie: Make a DECENT website!

Here is where you can find whats happening on the website, and current, and future updates.
Jovoropo

Steps to the Ultimate Werewolf Movie: Make a DECENT website!

Post by Jovoropo »

Hi guys! New to the board...just registered.

I'm sorry, but I HAVE to throw my two cents in here regarding your movie project.

First, I heard about the movie and the website through another forum so I came here to check it out. The first thing I saw here was the ridiculous werewolf pictures posted at the top of the site. That was ALL I needed to realize that this supposedly serious, revolutionary take on werewolves, is in fact not serious at all or at least is only capable of TRYING to be serious. (Trying and failing miserably)

Please, for the love of God, get rid of the two werewolves wearing the shirts. They look completely fake, and just plain stupid!

Second, I think the ability of using your website as a "promotional tool," is being completely wasted. You have a website with a strong community of people all armed with their own input and insights into what they think a werewolf movie should be (I mean, here I am, writing this to you right now!) but the project seems less about making a movie, and more about having fun posting each and every step along the way in the pre-production process. Listing things like "What this movie will and will not be," are completely spoiling any shred of mystery or intrique behind the film.
And the fact that you're about to give your unfinished script out to strangers for their critique and revision makes me want to cry!!!

Bottom line, get rid of ALL the information about what this movie HOPES to be!!! How do you expect do lure anyone into the mysteries and horror of a werewolf movie, when you're already laying out a list of everything they're going to see? I'd have been completely sucked into this film if I'd come to your website and had simply seen a vague splash page with something that "could be" a werewolf. Keep it simple, and don't reveal your secrets before the movie has even been written!!! Create some mystery and atmosphere here!!!
ABrownrigg
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ABrownrigg »

Wow, I appreciate the honesty.

All in all, i think you have many points that I agree with. some I dissagree with. But I'll take them one by one.
First, I heard about the movie and the website through another forum so I came here to check it out. The first thing I saw here was the ridiculous werewolf pictures posted at the top of the site. That was ALL I needed to realize that this supposedly serious, revolutionary take on werewolves, is in fact not serious at all or at least is only capable of TRYING to be serious. (Trying and failing miserably)
Hmm, well some strong points there. I do tend to agree with your feelings about the weres on the top. However, this was a home grown project, that has blossomed into something much bigger. Things are already in the works for an offical movie site, which will NOT include the werewolves. Besides its what we started with before anyone got in their feelings. Yours included, I think its well noted. Indeed the look of a werewolf is quite quite different than the images on the website. Those will change, but it takes a little time, this board is only two months old.
Please, for the love of God, get rid of the two werewolves wearing the shirts. They look completely fake, and just plain stupid!
I'll consider that, again as the art director we just brought on is working on sketches, and designs. I'll look for your comments on what you feel a were should look like.. tails, no tails, fur, that kind of thing. Its what I want to know. I would hate to come up with an ape like werewolf, as is so common only for fans to be dissapointed, Hell, I might have thought the weres up top were really GOOD werewolves before this board got going. Now I know they're not the way to go. thank you again pack.
Second, I think the ability of using your website as a "promotional tool," is being completely wasted.
I gotta be frank about this one. (hello I'm frank).. This website was originally never intended as a promotional tool. I have been in the film industry for over twenty years, and time and time again, genre films try to deliver to the real fans OF that genre, only to be hitting and missing because they want to desperately to keep things secret. When I was approached with this project, it was a far far lower budget, and consisted of someone in a snarling werewolf suit chasing down the same hotties that show up in most horror films. . My take on this is, honestly, the core audience of the werewolf fan base should be able to say what they WANT and don't WANT in a werewolf movie before its written, get a voice. . If you feel it should be more promotioal in nature, please feel free to shoot out an idea here, or Pmail me. If you sir, or madam are a werewolf fan, and you wish to make your wants known, this is the place. If you're looking at this from a marketing perspective, then realize the marketing and promotions aspect will be a different site altogether.
You have a website with a strong community of people all armed with their own input and insights into what they think a werewolf movie should be (I mean, here I am, writing this to you right now!) but the project seems less about making a movie, and more about having fun posting each and every step along the way in the pre-production process. Listing things like "What this movie will and will not be," are completely spoiling any shred of mystery or intrique behind the film.
Well, I'm sorry you feel that way. For me, Life is fun. A lot has been changing around here lately as the script is now under a complete Revamp. (I'm supposed to say Re-wolf). Many of the things talked about here are not intended for the final script. But things to toy around with, and You're right... playing is a good word for it, thank you. Playing with ideas, getting the feel what can happen. What might be interesting to happen. No one knows but me what WILL happen, and it might be a lot of things not discussed here, but due to all the comments, and "playing' (I love that term,) I get a better feeling of where fans are coming from in general.

What will and won't be doesnt give anything about the plot or storyline away exept to let the fans know this is going to be different than a typical film of this genre. But if you wish to be surprised by werewolves holding machine guns, or werewolves doing kung fu, or climbing walls, then I believe there are several other werewolf films in production at the moment that might suit your tastes better. if you wish to be surprised altogether and not know anything about what this film MIGHT or MIGHT NOT be about.. then please feel free to not look, there are those that WANT to, so it kind of only works one way. I can't rightly NOT put up anything but mystery to those that want that, and indivdually hunt down werewolf fans that WANT to know, and email them separately. My fingers just don't type that fast... or legibbbley.
[quote/]
Bottom line, get rid of ALL the information about what this movie HOPES to be!!! How do you expect do lure anyone into the mysteries and horror of a werewolf movie, when you're already laying out a list of everything they're going to see? I'd have been completely sucked into this film if I'd come to your website and had simply seen a vague splash page with something that "could be" a werewolf. Keep it simple, and don't reveal your secrets before the movie has even been written!!! Create some mystery and atmosphere here!!! [/quote]

Well, thats a good point you have there. the atmosphere is coming. Again, this site isnt for the atmosphere, its a place to voice your feelings of wants and 'don't wants' as it pertains to a film about werewolves. And that sir or madam, you have done quite well with. I'll consider the things you have to say. ...And anyone else please fell free, if you wish for me to stop posting my responses to your posts, showing test footage, etc. ... and just surprise you, then please let me know. I will do it. I just thought it might be nice for fans to get a film that they actually got to take part in, and want to see.

Although i can say this, you guys havent seen anything as to what is going on in my brain for the new script. So, I suppose it COULD be all bets are off at this point, because I kind of do get the idea of what the fans are wanting, and what will make them groan at. (this website not withstanding)

Jovorpro, thank you for your honesty and your input. It gets heard. And welcome.

sincerely,
Anthony Brownrigg
Director :D
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Re: Steps to the Ultimate Werewolf Movie: Make a DECENT webs

Post by Figarou »

Jovoropo wrote: Listing things like "What this movie will and will not be," are completely spoiling any shred of mystery or intrique behind the film.
And the fact that you're about to give your unfinished script out to strangers for their critique and revision makes me want to cry!!!

Bottom line, get rid of ALL the information about what this movie HOPES to be!!! How do you expect do lure anyone into the mysteries and horror of a werewolf movie, when you're already laying out a list of everything they're going to see? I'd have been completely sucked into this film if I'd come to your website and had simply seen a vague splash page with something that "could be" a werewolf. Keep it simple, and don't reveal your secrets before the movie has even been written!!! Create some mystery and atmosphere here!!!

Ok, my turn!! :D

I don't think Mr Brownrigg is going to reveal all his secrets. He could be working on small areas 1st. With that, he'll have an idea for the next area without our help.

As for the "What this movie will and will not be" list, Its no different than watching the trailer for this film. Sometimes the trailer can give away good parts of the movie. What could've been a surprise moment ended up getting spoiled by the trailer.

As for a mystery, Mr Brownrigg may have something in mind. Have you seen I-Robot? There was a mystery in it. Several parts of that film gave you the sence that a certain person was the bad guy until he ended up dead. I was like.. :? Man, who the heck is the bad guy now? Until the main character figured it out. I was shocked right there. :shock:

N E who. Welcome to the forum. We'll be looking foward towards your other comments and suggestions. Oh, and watch out for those duckies.
Jovoropo

Post by Jovoropo »

I apologize if I came off as an asshole in the first post. I absolutely respect and support independent filmmaking in everyway possible. I admire anyone who's able to go out and create ANYTHING film-wise, it's a tough racket.

I wish you the best of luck, really.

And I respect the fact you didn't fire back at me with "oh yeah, well f*** you!" Which I was more or less expecting. You're the better man for taking the criticisms Mr. Bownrigg, and I appreciate your taking time to reply to each of the points I addressed in my first post. Again, sorry if I came on a little strong.

You're obviously passionate about the project, and that should be enough for anyone, especially loud-mouths like myself. I look forward to seeing the evolutions of your project.

-J
artman
Pack Member
Pack Member

Post by artman »

ReQuest Entertainment VP
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

artman wrote:Ever since we first conceptualized the making of a “werewolf” movie our intent was to offer a direct to DVD, entertaining and well done project on a very stingy budget.

To tell you the truth, I would have avoided the DVD if I saw it on the store shelf.

With this forum and Mr Brownrigg's clever ideas, this film is on its way to becoming the best werewolf movie ever made.

There is a new horizon in werewolf film making. Re-Quest Entertainment and Mr Brownrigg is right there in the spotlight!!!

:howl:  :oo
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Imperial Weirdo And Insect Expert

Post by Apokryltaros »

Jovoropo wrote: Listing things like "What this movie will and will not be," are completely spoiling any shred of mystery or intrique behind the film.

Mr Brownrigg has yet to elucidate us on HOW he intends to utilize all of our suggestions, nor has he told us which things on our wishlists that he intends to or has the capabilities to satisfy.
I mean, how can we help him create the Ultimate Werewolf Movie if Mr Brownrigg is as informative as a mime?
Hmmmm...
Mime werewolf?
That would be interesting...
But, back on track...
Besides, I am not bothered in the least by spoilers.
ChaosWolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by ChaosWolf »

Apokryltaros wrote: Hmmmm...
Mime werewolf?
Nah. The white facepaint would really muck-up their fur... :lol:
My Werewolf Code!:
WWC1.0 SSHb LNAn SPDbsh SILt WTRn GDRs UNQd EATafvy SGNepcy SPKw STCb WLL+ HRT++ DLY+++++ STY+++++ INT0 RGN+ JMP+ STR+ BIG+ COL++ AGE+ CMN- AGL+ IRT+ EYE+ FUR+
SGrayWolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by SGrayWolf »

ChaosWolf wrote:
Apokryltaros wrote: Hmmmm...
Mime werewolf?
Nah. The white facepaint would really muck-up their fur... :lol:
What would be interesting is seeing how the mime werewolf would go through the TF without any noise whatsoever, since mimes aren't supposed to speak or make noise.... It's gotta be somewhat painful right? heh heh....

On a more serious note: When it comes down to it, "The Pack" and everyone involved here are really like experimental guinea pigs in our own way regarding the movie. Since nothing like this has really been done before, it's all new grounds for everyone to explore and see what works and what doesn't. Discussions spark debates, conflict, emotion, ideas and many other things that we (as posters) may not even know about that may/may not affect the movie. We have no idea what wheels are churning and turning in AB's (or anyone else working on the project) mind hehe..

I, for one, am damn glad that I was able to participate here as much as I have and if that was all to end tomorrow and the project go "Area 51" and secret to our eyes, I wouldn't regret one bit of what I was able to be a part of.

Just don't go and judge the book by it's cover until it's all said and done with. None of us here know everything that may/may not happen with this project and we may ALL be very surprised when it comes out... (which wouldn't surprise me) :)

Just think of all the movies that were made from a book or novel? I'm sure many people read those books before they saw the movie and there were still elements which surprised them and the movie was still awesome to them.. There's just too many factors to.. well.... factor in.... never know what will happen.. hehe..
theMoonlite
Legendary
Legendary

Post by theMoonlite »

Wow, bravo. I love how everyone handled everything here so well. Being new to the Pack myself, I love how everything here is. It's a lovely place, actually, and I hope everyone that will come here will love it as well. :)
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

January 2005...

This was a LOOOONG time ago. The website, as well as the film project overall has changed quite a bit since then.

...but I agree. This was suprisingly well handled back then, considering this place was still new to all of us at the time.