STUPID ADVERTISEMENTS

Here is where you can find whats happening on the website, and current, and future updates.
ABrownrigg
Site Admin
Site Admin

STUPID ADVERTISEMENTS

Post by ABrownrigg »

Okay, theres some softwere out there that spams messages boards like this, puts in phony emails, and posts stupid ads.

I'm highly considering making joining the forum something that has to be moderator approved. Thoughts?
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

Well... I'd think that the easier it is to join, the more we get... but, that's just my opinion. it might be tht any topic seen as spam is immediately locked with a post detailing it as spam, and then ee if the member was just there fro advertising.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Re: STUPID ADVERTISEMENTS

Post by Figarou »

ABrownrigg wrote:Okay, theres some softwere out there that spams messages boards like this, puts in phony emails, and posts stupid ads.

I'm highly considering making joining the forum something that has to be moderator approved. Thoughts?
Oh..I didn't know software can do that. Learned something new I did.

Do whatever it takes to prevent this.

That or have more moderators patrolling the forum.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Re: STUPID ADVERTISEMENTS

Post by Vuldari »

Figarou wrote:
ABrownrigg wrote:Okay, theres some softwere out there that spams messages boards like this, puts in phony emails, and posts stupid ads.

Oh..I didn't know software can do that. Learned something new I did.

Do whatever it takes to prevent this.

That or have more moderators patrolling the forum.
Oh, it's out there all right. I HATE spam. :x

...however, I don't think paranoia is called for quite yet. I say, wait to see if it happens here. If it does, THEN delete the guilty, phony accounts and put the approval system into place.

Otherwise, I would advise against making it more difficult for new members to join because something "might" happen...eventually.
Really...the worst thing that could happen if we wait is that we might get spammed for a day or two untill the leak can be plugged (or maybe a week. I don't know how hard it is to make that kind of software change). That is what I think.
Bete
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Bete »

Anthony, maybe just have your top posters be moderators and remove things as they come up.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

Damn...I so was not expecting this to happen so fast.

"They're Heeeeeeerrrrrrrreeeeee...." :( :x

...What the?... I was just about to post a link to a guilty Ad-Post when suddenly it dissapeared. Someone is paying attention. "THANK YOU" to whomever deleted that Forum Spam. ...ugh. Good riddance.

Beware of "Bubba1" ...be afraid... or just slay him with Flesh-Eating Duckies and Razor-edged Frisbee Pie tins of death on sight. :evil: :duckie
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Vuldari wrote:Damn...I so was not expecting this to happen so fast.

"They're Heeeeeeerrrrrrrreeeeee...." :( :x

...What the?... I was just about to post a link to a guilty Ad-Post when suddenly it dissapeared. Someone is paying attention. "THANK YOU" to whomever deleted that Forum Spam. ...ugh. Good riddance.

Beware of "Bubba1" ...be afraid... or just slay him with Flesh-Eating Duckies and Razor-edged Frisbee Pie tins of death on sight. :evil: :duckie

Its odd that the spam software used Bubba1 as the name. Unless someone placed the ad themselves. Bubba is the comic book werewolf. (Bubba-the redneck werewolf)
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Imperial Weirdo And Insect Expert

Post by Apokryltaros »

Vuldari wrote:
Oh no.
No no no no no no no...
*facepalm*
I am now reminded of the scene from this one movie where the kid has rigged a house with all sorts of jury-rigged death traps to kill a guy and his girlfriend who are out to kill this boy.
The boy then kills the thug's girlfriend with a razor-studded frizbee to the neck...
"I was all of history's great acting robots: Acting Unit 0.8, Thespo-mat, David Duchovny!"
-Calculon
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Free vi*gra webcam of singles can make you rich!

Post by Scott Gardener »

Has spam been a serious problem so far? If so, it must be happening quietly. However, I do understand that there are programs that seek out email addresses from sites like this one to distribute to marketing lists, and I can see that as a security issue.

However, as annoying as spam is, I'm really bothered more by bulk paper junk mail. Junk email doesn't kill trees and can be deleted with one click. Pop-ups and spyware, however, can interfere with computer performance and do represent an invasive presence.

At the moment, if we're worried more about a potential problem than a real one, I'd say leave membership open until the problem becomes an issue. If, however, it's already happening, and I'm only missing it because moderators are working overtime behind the scenes to clean the junk out, then by all means do what you have to do.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Darth Canis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Darth Canis »

Wipe them out, all of them. yay a starwars line yeah get rid of em i saw a post in here the other day about some fashion line stupid people. :femshft
The little girl who always wanted to fly an x wing and be raised by wolves... Come to think of it she still does.
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

Isn't there a thing out there were part of the registration process makes the user have to input the letters/numbers dsiplayed in a image thats susposedly susposed to stop automatic-joining programs and such?

As the join-program can't see the image, it can't input the numbers...

I dunno, i know i've had to do something like that before.

There was like an image that ha d a bunch of letters and numbers on it and i had to input the numbers/letters...

The annoying bit, was sometimes you just can't tell what the f*** the letters/numbers are... (Is the a lowercase l, or a I? :P )

Yeah, i think im rambling noww.... :oops:
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

Aki wrote:Isn't there a thing out there were part of the registration process makes the user have to input the letters/numbers dsiplayed in a image thats susposedly susposed to stop automatic-joining programs and such?

As the join-program can't see the image, it can't input the numbers...

I dunno, i know i've had to do something like that before.

There was like an image that ha d a bunch of letters and numbers on it and i had to input the numbers/letters...
I've seen that too. It was usually only on very secure sites, (like the kind you have to submit Credit-Card info to for purchases), but it was really a cleaver idea.

Because the letters and numbers are displayed as a distorted image file, rather than HTML text, software doesnt know what to make of it. Only a human eye can decypher it.

...brilliant, if you ask me, but I don't know if programs like that are available as plugins for forums yet.
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

I am 1: Queensryche or Smashing Pumpkins?

Post by Scott Gardener »

I've encountered those a few times recently, too. and yes, it's annoying when it pops up a 0/O (Zero, as in not, or Oh, as in Cirque du Soleil at the Bellagio) or a 1/l/I (One, as in first, el, as in Spanish articles, or I, as in me).

Still, it's even more annoying to a spybot, which just sees a jpeg.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Ok, something needs to get done because unwanted material is starting to show up on these forums.
Silverfang
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Silverfang »

:x theres another one in What a werewolf should be

DAMNED SPAMMERS....... hmm Spam lck
*When you're down... howl*
Baphnedia

Post by Baphnedia »

Plugin for the forum - regarding the text/picture input is probably at PhpBB.com. It's been along time since I've used a stand-alone board (as mine is integrated with Postnuke now) but the mod isn't hard to install. Just follow the directions (for the most part) and you should be fine.

I've always been impressed with the ease of installing mods from their website. In other news, I just got back online from almost a month-long hiatus.
Everyday should be Towel Day.
Sekrit Identity: What?
Paradice Games: .com, Forums & Facebook